PDA

View Full Version : Landon Donovan left off World Cup roster

Intramural All-American
05-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Definitely was smoke, but I never expected this to really happen.

Statefan
05-22-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure he would had started, but tons of experience left off the roster now.

I understand him not being on there, but they left Julian Green on there??

Intramural All-American
05-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I understand Green being there. He is very talented, just green (pun intended). Plus, this was probably a stipulation to him committing to the US.

But Brad Davis?

Statefan
05-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah Davis is a head scratcher.

And I think it will be good in the future for Green to make it, as well as Aron Johansson

DudyDawg
05-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Brad Davis deserves to be there. His assists are very valuable from the midfield especially paired with someone like beckerman who sits back. I don't like green going and Donovan being home. While green is a talent, he plays in the fifth division in Germany. Now to the World Cup? That's a huge jump in pressure for anyone. Considering he won't start, you want experience in that situation to come in off the bench. That's why it should've been Donovan. Not green, although he will be a very solid player in the future

It_Could_Happen
05-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Don't agree with this. Can't ever have enough experience.

DudyDawg
05-22-2014, 05:16 PM
At the end of the day it's down to the coach's preference. And with the brutal traveling we have to do, it's kind it understandable to go for the young guys more than the ones who may have more trouble physically recovering. But still I would much rather see Donovan come in with 15 to play than some 18 year old prospect.

Brad Stevens
05-22-2014, 05:34 PM
I think this will make or break Klinsman's run as coach at the expense of a player's international career. If our midfield plays well and advances out of the group stage, people will soon forget Donovan. If we fail to control the ball or have any type of service to our forwards and are eliminated in the group stage, you can bet the fans and media will be all over Klinsmann and questioning whether the inclusion of Donovan could have made a difference. It's a bold move, for sure. I hope it works out. 'Merica.

esplanade91
05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Hell no it won't. Since Jurgen took over we've won more games during any stretch in US history, and somewhere in there we won our first game on European soil in the HISTORY of United States soccer.

I wholeheartedly agree with leaving Landon off the roster. He looked like absolute dog shit in the USA vs Mexico game, which is fine if that's all... But he's been on a steep decline for a year now. Combine that with what we know about his relationship with Klinnsman from day one.

This is what happens. People get old and are replaced by 18 year olds. There's never been or will be a better example of this than in soccer where the most valuable asset any player can have is youth. Donovan is old!!!!!!

And what's up with everyone being down on Julian Green? Do y'all realize you're complaining about a guy who has logged PT (granted, very little) for the world's #1 club team? "He plays for a European team's 4th tier...." Are you kidding me?!

I understand the US's obsession with Donovan. He was always a constant when we were garbage, and his achievements shouldn't be forgotten... But let's not act like this isn't the most talented roster in the 100+ year history of our team. Donovan got the boot for an 18 year old phenom who also had an offer to play for the #2 team in the world and chose us instead.

The only thing we as fans should be questioning is why Eddie Johnson wasn't invited to be a part of the 30 man roster.

In actuality Aron Johannson is probably the guy who booted Donovan, and that's been in the works for a year now. WE ARE SO TALENTED! DONOVAN CANT PLAY LIKE HE USED TO!