PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame wants an SEC opponent

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 01:21 PM
I want 'em. I think they are one of the most consistently overrated teams in the nation. Beating them gets you more good pub than you probably deserve, but if we're gonna take it to the next level, I think this is the kind of marquee opponent we could actually have success against, and would boost our national perception immensely.

Thoughts?

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Bring em, but only as a home and home

starkvegasdawg
05-22-2014, 01:28 PM
I'll take them. I can't stand that school and if we could give them a beating so bad Rudy would feel it then that would be great. Of course, you know they would demand the game be at South Bend. No way they come down South to play any SEC team except maybe UK.

Bullmutt
05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I'll take them. I can't stand that school and if we could give them a beating so bad Rudy would feel it then that would be great. Of course, you know they would demand the game be at South Bend. No way they come down South to play any SEC team except maybe UK.

One of the best defensive games ever was in late 60's/early 70's- ND vs LSU- ended in 3-3 tie. I'm almost certain they played in Tiger Stadium, but I may be wrong. It's been a long time.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Actually, Kelly is looking at it as something to boost their recruiting down south. He really wants Georgia, so we may be "too small" an area for him, but we do have one of the most fertile grounds for elite talent. Problem is, they'd likely have a hard time getting most of our kids to qualify academically at ND. Sad, but true.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Wonder if Mullen still has contacts at ND? Get 'em on the horn Dan and Scott! Let's make it happen. We need it on our schedule anyway with the new SEC rules. Again, I really just don't think that all that much more difficult to play than some other mid-tier team from the B12, ACC, etc. Maybe a little, but not to the degree they are perceived. Makes it a "good value risk", IMO.

Besides, I think it would be a huge help for our recruiting, and our kids would no doubt be hyped up to play them.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Anybody here have Strick's ear at all? C34? Beast? If so, hit Scott up with the idea. Gotta strike while the iron is hot! ND is publicly asking for an SEC game. Let's publicly accept the challenge.

starkvegasdawg
05-22-2014, 01:56 PM
While I would love to play them I think it would be great if Saban piped up and said he would be willing to play them again if they were dumb enough to want to.

ShotgunDawg
05-22-2014, 01:57 PM
One of the best defensive games ever was in late 60's/early 70's- ND vs LSU- ended in 3-3 tie. I'm almost certain they played in Tiger Stadium, but I may be wrong. It's been a long time.

Funny how when LSU and Notre Dame are involved it's remembered as a classic, yet when MSU and Auburn do the same thing, it's remembered as an offensive dumpster fire.

Johnson85
I want 'em. I think they are one of the most consistently overrated teams in the nation. Beating them gets you more good pub than you probably deserve, but if we're gonna take it to the next level, I think this is the kind of marquee opponent we could actually have success against, and would boost our national perception immensely.

Thoughts?

I would have preferred them pre-Kelly, but you still get way more credit than you should for beating Notre Dame, so I'd be up for it. I'd generally still prefer to keep a weak OOC schedule as long playing Bama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M every year makes our schedule top 25 SOS by default, but Notre Dame would be worth an exception.

blacklistedbully
Man, the more I think about this, the more I want it. I truly believe playing an Ok State type team is more dangerous, and less rewarding.

ShotgunDawg
05-22-2014, 02:01 PM
While I would love to play them I think it would be great if Saban piped up and said he would be willing to play them again if they were dumb enough to want to.

My guess is that Notre Dame won't play Bama or LSU because they know they'll lose, and they don't want to play MSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Missouri, or Vandy because their isn't much benifit and they could lose.

My guess is that they'll play UGA, South Carolina, Florida, Tenn, Auburn, or Texas A&M. That way they maximize their profit while also having a chance to win.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 02:19 PM
I just sent Strick an email imploring him to consider it. Anybody else interested, please do the same. His email is, scottstricklin@athletics.msstate.edu

Hell, perhaps we should consider a petition.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 02:22 PM
My guess is that Notre Dame won't play Bama or LSU because they know they'll lose, and they don't want to play MSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Missouri, or Vandy because their isn't much benifit and they could lose.

My guess is that they'll play UGA, South Carolina, Florida, Tenn, Auburn, or Texas A&M. That way they maximize their profit while also having a chance to win.

If we have the kind of year I think we could & should have, we might could parlay that into something like this. Dak and MSU are going to get a TON of publicity if we come out and kick some ass this year. We should capitalize on that.

ScoobaDawg
05-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Funny how when LSU and Notre Dame are involved it's remembered as a classic, yet when MSU and Auburn do the same thing, it's remembered as an offensive dumpster fire.

THERE was NOTHING good offensively or defensively in that game it's "memorable" for how HORRIBLE it was. That's one of the few games were I was pissed I couldn't see straight and I only wish I was like every other college student at the time and DRUNK.

Damn you for ever mentioning it. That is a day that should never be brought up.

esplanade91
05-22-2014, 02:25 PM
I can't imagine what a bunch of catholic Yankees would think about Starkville, MS, the law about alcohol on campus and the lack of people follows that law so blatantly, and cowbells.

One thing's for sure, every hotel from Birmingham to Jackson to Memphis would be sold out. Holy hell that would be a big boost in revenue for EVERYONE.

Unfortunately I don't think it does jack for perception though. When ND beat SMU in the Hawaii Bowl they were back!!!!! But anytime anyone beats them they weren't really any good to begin with. I can't picture a world in which we beat ND, we come out looking like world champions.

RougeDawg
05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Actually, Kelly is looking at it as something to boost their recruiting down south. He really wants Georgia, so we may be "too small" an area for him, but we do have one of the most fertile grounds for elite talent. Problem is, they'd likely have a hard time getting most of our kids to qualify academically at ND. Sad, but true.

Not necessarily. One in state program has been profound in getting Football Players academically eligible. Shit, they taught one kid how to read and write over a weekend, doubled another's ACT overnight, and even hepped many who were homeless with new homes and vehicles. So don't say MS kids would struggle to enroll at ND. All they need is a lil Heppin!**

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 02:37 PM
if nothing else, I'd love to see us publicly, "pick up the gauntlet" thrown down by Kelly. Even if they never gave us serious consideration, it could be a PR win.

War Machine Dawg
05-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Bring 'em on. I can't stand ND. I'd love to beat that ass into next decade.

dawgs
05-22-2014, 02:40 PM

I have no idea about how the lsu-Nd game was played, but the 3-2 game was the worst game I've ever sat thru. All you need to do is look at our performances the rest of the season to know that game was due to crappy play, not excellent D.

M.Fillmore
05-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Play ND at 11:30 am in late August. A heat index of 110 will drown them in the humidity.

Barking 13
05-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Play ND at 11:30 am in late August. A heat index of 110 will drown them in the humility.

FIFY

Bothrops
05-22-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't think they would play us, but if they did the OM fan base would meltdown in jealousy.

Dawg61
05-22-2014, 04:28 PM
No thanks. I'll take my 4 easy OOC wins every year. Our schedule was #2 toughest in the nation last year. It's hard enough.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 04:55 PM
In the last 20 years or so ND has played on the road in the south many many times. Don't say they won't come down here because that's not true. Examples include 2-3 trips to Knoxville, 1-2 to Red Stick, Florida State, VANDERBILT, Georgia Tech. The question is would they come to Starkpatch. They really want to maintain 7 home games so they may be looking for home only against an MSU. Probably only will h/h with a "big boy." I think they're thinking TAMU. For recruiting and they love playing in TX>

Political Hack
05-22-2014, 05:19 PM
No thanks. I'll take my 4 easy OOC wins every year. Our schedule was #2 toughest in the nation last year. It's hard enough.

because we scheduled Okie State, who's much better than ND, in the OOC. trade those two out and the schedule is much easier. in general, I agree though. 4 warm ups and an SEC slate are more than enough. Unfortunately we have to schedule at least 1 big OOC game now and I can gaurandamntee you we'll get the Ohio State, Michigan state, Oregon, Stanford draws while Bama gets to chose whoever they want.

MidTNDawg
05-22-2014, 05:26 PM
If memory serves me well, ND played umiss in 1977. umiss beat them.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Fellas, Strick is THE MAN! He already replied to my email as follows:

Kelly,

Thanks for your email. We have reached out to Notre Dame, but have not gotten any kind of feedback from them. I agree with you ... they would be a great addition to a future Bulldog schedule.

Hail State!

Scott

Scott Stricklin
Director of Athletics
Mississippi State
(662) 325-8082
sstricklin@athletics.msstate.edu
Twitter: @stricklinMSU

He is one of ours, boys, and I love him for it!

Sam&DeansDawg
05-22-2014, 05:52 PM
It would be really cool to play them at a neutral site like the Colts or Titans stadium.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 05:54 PM
It would be really cool to play them at a neutral site like the Colts or Titans stadium.

I'd rather play them home & home. Think what a thrill it would be to play them in that hallowed stadium. Then think what a mad-house it would be at Scott Field.

Dawg61
05-22-2014, 06:08 PM
I'd rather play them home & home. Think what a thrill it would be to play them in that hallowed stadium. Then think what a mad-house it would be at Scott Field.

How far y'all gonna take this pipe dream? Maybe we can sandwich the game in between the two opening MNF games and get John Madden to come out of retirement to announce the game. We could also schedule a golf tournament at the Masters and get Tiger Woods to give our golf team lessons and get Erin Andrews to wear a hooters outfit and give out free beer. Then we can line the entire north endzone of South Bend with Yeti coolers and huge grills and have Memphis in May's BBQ contest moved to September in South Bend. All these things are equally as possible as Notre Dame scheduling a home and home with us. Go home. You're drunk.

MSUDawg4Life
05-22-2014, 06:22 PM
How far y'all gonna take this pipe dream? Maybe we can sandwich the game in between the two opening MNF games and get John Madden to come out of retirement to announce the game. We could also schedule a golf tournament at the Masters and get Tiger Woods to give our golf team lessons and get Erin Andrews to wear a hooters outfit and give out free beer. Then we can line the entire north endzone of South Bend with Yeti coolers and huge grills and have Memphis in May's BBQ contest moved to September in South Bend. All these things are equally as possible as Notre Dame scheduling a home and home with us. Go home. You're drunk.

Whatever, man.

If they want some, they can come get some.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 06:27 PM

How big of a dick are you gonna be when you don't need to and how big of a fool are you gonna be when you consider Notre Dame, in the past decade or so has played away at:

Maryland
Wake Forest
Syracuse
Arizona State
Purdue
Air Force
Pitt
MIchigan State
BC
North Carolina
Washington
Georgia Tech
Oregon State
Stanford

That's not exactly a list of perennial powerhouses or huge stadiums. I'd put our program at or above most of them, and I'm quite sure our stadium would be larger than some. And we are an SEC team, one that will most likely make some real noise this year.

Apparently Stricklin & Mullen don't think it's such a crazy idea. But you feel free to go on and make a bigger ass of yourself.

Dallas_Dawg
05-22-2014, 06:37 PM
How many would try and go our away game in South Bend? I know I would. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 06:57 PM
How many would try and go our away game in South Bend? I know I would. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

We would sell out of our allotment and ask for more

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 06:59 PM

Would be tempted to keep 2 of my tickets and sell the other 4, paying for all 6 season tickets with the proceeds. Maybe not, but you'd get top $$$ selling your extras

Dawgcentral
05-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Damn right I'd go to Southbend.

Bullmutt
05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I have no idea about how the lsu-Nd game was played, but the 3-2 game was the worst game I've ever sat thru. All you need to do is look at our performances the rest of the season to know that game was due to crappy play, not excellent D.

Both ND and LSU were pretty highly ranked that year. This was back in the days of Ara Parsegian, and ND was several places above LSU, if memory serves, and Cajuns were out for blood. It was a hard-hitting affair.

Joe Schmedlap
05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
The mackerel snappers from South Bend would be a smart match for the coonasses from Baton Rouge.