PDA

View Full Version : Regional Possibilities

curmudgeon
05-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Here are the three scenarios that make sense to me. Doesn't mean that the NCAA will do this. Just using historical precedent, here's what we are looking at.

1. #2 seed at Houston or Rice regional.

This is where I think we will end up. And I think that regional will be paired with national seed Louisiana-Lafayette where Alabama or a screwed over Ole Miss will be the 2 seed. Sam Houston State looks like a probable three seed there.

2. #2 seed at national seed Florida State or Miami

I don't want to really go either of these places. FSU plays in a crackerjack park and Miami is red hot. But both these places are winnable regionals where we could knock out a national seed in a regional. There are lots of 3 seeds down in Florida - Stetson, UCF, Florida Gulf Coast - none of which scare me.

3. #2 seed at TCU or Oklahoma State

They could send us to one of the Big 12 hosts. TCU can't hit the ball and Oklahoma State is a weak Big 12 champion. Will probably be matched up with one of the straggler regionals like Oregon State or Virginia.

Saltydog
05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
today puts them in, IMO and may put VU on the outs if LSU continues winning.

LC Dawg
05-22-2014, 02:09 PM
What about national seeds? Has the SEC played themselves into only having one since all our candidates have a loss already in the tournament?

MarketingBully01
05-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Looks like Florida is going to be two and que so we might oust ourselves out of all national seeds.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Here are the three scenarios that make sense to me. Doesn't mean that the NCAA will do this. Just using historical precedent, here's what we are looking at.

1. #2 seed at Houston or Rice regional.

This is where I think we will end up. And I think that regional will be paired with national seed Louisiana-Lafayette where Alabama or a screwed over Ole Miss will be the 2 seed. Sam Houston State looks like a probable three seed there.

2. #2 seed at national seed Florida State or Miami

I don't want to really go either of these places. FSU plays in a crackerjack park and Miami is red hot. But both these places are winnable regionals where we could knock out a national seed in a regional. There are lots of 3 seeds down in Florida - Stetson, UCF, Florida Gulf Coast - none of which scare me.

3. #2 seed at TCU or Oklahoma State

They could send us to one of the Big 12 hosts. TCU can't hit the ball and Oklahoma State is a weak Big 12 champion. Will probably be matched up with one of the straggler regionals like Oregon State or Virginia.

Please let us be the 2 seed in Houston, paired up with the ULaLa Regional. Hello Omaha, glad to be back

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm guessing if SCar beats UF, that will wipe away the loss to us.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Looks like Florida is going to be two and que so we might oust ourselves out of all national seeds.

3-2 Florida now. It's only the 3rd inning by the way

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking if USC loses to Florida, OM will get the last National Seed

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Please let us be the 2 seed in Houston, paired up with the ULaLa Regional. Hello Omaha, glad to be back

Man, I wish I could feel that confident. My take is we're capable of beating anyone in the country and capable of losing to anyone in the country. I'm cautiously optimistic, still extremely concerned about our lack of clutch hitting.

But of the choices, that would seem like a best-case scenario for us. Other opponents notwithstanding, Rice seems to have the same problems we have, and ULL has not seen the kind of pitching & defense they would see from us. I could see their hitters getting really frustrated, and could see our guys perhaps finding their bats enough versus a pitching staff that is not SEC-quality.

MarketingBully01
05-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Yeah, that looks to be favorable however isn't ULL's ball park small? That might not be as favorable.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Yeah, that looks to be favorable however isn't ULL's ball park small? That might not be as favorable.

Nope, bigger than Dudy. Not sure where that mess came from when people were saying it on here. I looked it up. Guess people saw lots of HR's and thought that equaled small park

MarketingBully01
05-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Well then your scenario is the best case for us. Even if we start in the TCU regional and are matched up with ULL that would be good for us.

MarketingBully01
05-22-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm thinking if USC loses to Florida, OM will get the last National Seed

Not if Ole Miss loses tomorrow. I don't think they get a national seed unless they at least make the semifinals.

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Not if Ole Miss loses tomorrow. I don't think they get a national seed unless they at least make the semifinals.

I disagree, but I hope you're right

MarketingBully01
05-22-2014, 02:57 PM
I don't think we get two national seeds. I think Florida is it and IMO I think we only get 4 hosts. No way will they give us two national seeds five hosts and ten teams in the tournament. I think they skimp us a host spot and a national seed and we get ten teams in. Something has to give and I think it goes like this Florida (2) national seed with Ole Miss USC and LSU as hosts. Then they can justify giving us ten spots. We have ten deserving teams to go to the tournament. I don't think we deserve two national seeds but they will also skimp us one host spot since Vandy is slumping over the last two weeks. I don't think we will get everything.

curmudgeon
05-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Right now, my hosts would be:

National Seeds
1. Oregon State
2. Virginia
3. Florida State
4. Florida
5. Indiana
6. Miami
7. Louisiana-Lafayette
8. Louisville

Other hosts (in S-curve order):
South Carolina
Ole Miss
TCU
Rice
Oklahoma State
LSU
Vanderbilt
Cal Poly

Washington, Oregon, Houston and Texas are right on the cusp of hosting. Texas eliminated Texas Tech from the discussion yesterday. Liberty's longshot is a no shot. If Texas beats Oklahoma State today, there's a chance they could host over TCU. Houston's loss to Connecticut and disadvantaged geography may have eliminated them. If the SEC only gets four and Vandy is the odd team out, Washington or Oregon is the likely replacement. I'm 51-49 putting Vandy over Washington right now, and its simply because of RPI.

HancockCountyDog
05-22-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't think we get two national seeds. I think Florida is it and IMO I think we only get 4 hosts. No way will they give us two national seeds five hosts and ten teams in the tournament. I think they skimp us a host spot and a national seed and we get ten teams in. Something has to give and I think it goes like this Florida (2) national seed with Ole Miss USC and LSU as hosts. Then they can justify giving us ten spots. We have ten deserving teams to go to the tournament. I don't think we deserve two national seeds but they will also skimp us one host spot since Vandy is slumping over the last two weeks. I don't think we will get everything.

So you think the ACC gets 3 National Seeds and the SEC won't get 2?

We needed Vandy and SC to get some wins. Both of them going 0-2 definitely helped the black bears.

Also, folks get ready - we are going to be the two seed in the regional opposite the black bears - we will own Oxford if that happens.

cbrunt29
05-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Also, folks get ready - we are going to be the two seed in the regional opposite the black bears - we will own Oxford if that happens.
This would be awesome

HancockCountyDog
05-22-2014, 04:47 PM
This would be awesome

If you are the NCAA and you want to tout college baseball - you make for the possibility of this happening. If it does, the bears will be shitting in their lacoste pants.

messageboardsuperhero
05-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Right now, my hosts would be:

National Seeds
1. Oregon State
2. Virginia
3. Florida State
4. Florida
5. Indiana
6. Miami
7. Louisiana-Lafayette
8. Louisville

Other hosts (in S-curve order):
South Carolina
Ole Miss
TCU
Rice
Oklahoma State
LSU
Vanderbilt
Cal Poly

Washington, Oregon, Houston and Texas are right on the cusp of hosting. Texas eliminated Texas Tech from the discussion yesterday. Liberty's longshot is a no shot. If Texas beats Oklahoma State today, there's a chance they could host over TCU. Houston's loss to Connecticut and disadvantaged geography may have eliminated them. If the SEC only gets four and Vandy is the odd team out, Washington or Oregon is the likely replacement. I'm 51-49 putting Vandy over Washington right now, and its simply because of RPI.

I have a hard time seeing UM not being a national seed. They've caught some HUGE breaks this tournament with Vandy and USCe both going 0-2. They've pretty much been handed a gift in that respect- and really, they've caught a bunch of breaks all season...

That just makes me sick, because I don't think they're any better than us right now. We just dropped some head scratchers early, and they caught us at a good time coming between the time Preston Brown went down and Lucas Laster emerged. Honestly, I wouldn't mind meeting up with them in a super- I think we could take them now.

MarketingBully01
05-22-2014, 05:25 PM

We needed Vandy and SC to get some wins. Both of them going 0-2 definitely helped the black bears.

I would be plesently surprised if we got 2 national seeds, 5 host spots and 10 regional bids. We could get one or two of the three but I doubt we get all three of those things.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 05:51 PM

Let's win our regional first. Haven't we seen enough evidence that in addition to being capable of beating anybody, we are very capable of losing to anybody. I truly do not want our players going into ANY regional thinking they've got it made. I don't think Cohen will let that happen, but I damn sure don't want to encourage that kind of thinking on message boards.

Confident - yes. But respectfully confident, regardless of who we play. We are not remotely justified in thinking our shit don't stink.

Also, if we did manage to get paired up versus TSUN in Oxford, would they not be able to control the number of tickets we could get?

Sam&DeansDawg
05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
If OM beats LSU/Arky then OM should be a lock for the national seed.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 06:07 PM
fi Ole Miss did manage to exclude a large number of our fans from the stadium, I'd hope we could take 15k up there and surround that stadium, chanting, "Maroooon!........White!" non-stop. Would be awesome to see something like that in the broadcast.

Quaoarsking
05-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Everyone needs to calm down a bit. Conference tournaments have very little bearing on what seed teams get. The selection committee doesn't think they're anything special, and often has the bracket at least sketched out several days before the tournaments are even over.

ShotgunDawg
05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
WE DO NOT WANT TO PLAY AT ULL. The ball flies out of ULL's park and ULL is the best team in the country. There is a ton of suspicion as to how ULL became the best team in the country, but, for the time being, we don't want to play them. Trust me on this.

blacklistedbully
05-22-2014, 09:37 PM
WE DO NOT WANT TO PLAY AT ULL. The ball flies out of ULL's park and ULL is the best team in the country. There is a ton of suspicion as to how ULL became the best team in the country, but, for the time being, we don't want to play them. Trust me on this.

I dunno, shotgun. Looks to me like their Hrs & runs may be more a product of shitty pitching in the Sunbelt. It's not as if they are alone in the Sunbelt with rbi's, batting average, etc. The era's of the pitchers over there are high across-the-board.

What are the suspicions? Are they rumored to have bought players?