PDA

View Full Version : So it looks like we have to beat SC this weekend to host....

Coach34
05-13-2013, 08:18 AM
gotta love the pressure of the last weekend really meaning something

Drugdog
05-13-2013, 08:39 AM
I agree. Can u give some specifics. Just curious.

Will James
05-13-2013, 08:40 AM
SC has a solid solid pitching staff. This weekends gonna be a grindfest. I like that we have to win to host, it's almost a self fulfilling prophesy. If we can win it shows we should have hope moving forward hosting because we've proved something. If we lose, it will show we weren't ready and thus deserve to get on the bus.

Coach34
05-13-2013, 09:25 AM
I agree. Can u give some specifics. Just curious.

It looks like a 5 team race for 3 spots- Clemson, State, SC, UPig, and South Alabama

Clemson plays at Fla State- that will be a tough task for them
SC @ State- loser no host unless they win the SEC Tourney
South Alabama hosts Troy- who is fighting to get in the NCAA Tourney also at 37-14. Should be a good series
UPig travels to Auburn- if they lose 2 games, they dont host. Pretty cut and dried there

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
It looks like a 5 team race for 3 spots- Clemson, State, SC, UPig, and South Alabama

Clemson plays at Fla State- that will be a tough task for them
South Alabama hosts Troy- who is fighting to get in the NCAA Tourney also at 37-14. Should be a good series
UPig travels to Auburn- if they lose 2 games, they dont host. Pretty cut and dried there

My prediction is that Fla St wins the series against Clemson, South Alabama beats Troy, Auburn beats Arkansas, and we lose 2 of 3 to USC. Thus, putting the tourney committee in a position where USC and South Alabama look good, but now they have to choose between us, Arkansas, and Clemson who all lost series for that last spot.

If that happens, we likely travel to either South Alabama or Clemson. South Carolina is pretty damn good, and our starting pitching this past weekend makes me gun shy about predicting a series win. Just being honest.

Coach34
05-13-2013, 10:08 AM
The SEC Tourney could play a bigger role than usual this year

Ronny
05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
My prediction is that Fla St wins the series against Clemson, South Alabama beats Troy, Auburn beats Arkansas, and we lose 2 of 3 to USC. Thus, putting the tourney committee in a position where USC and South Alabama look good, but now they have to choose between us, Arkansas, and Clemson who all lost series for that last spot.

If that happens, we likely travel to either South Alabama or Clemson. South Carolina is pretty damn good, and our starting pitching this past weekend makes me gun shy about predicting a series win. Just being honest.

At this point last year we traveled to UF & went 1-2, (eerily reminiscent of traveling to OM & going 1-2), then got beat by Central Arkansas in a mid-week game (can somebody please explain this Central Arkansas phenomenon to me) & in the last series of the season we swept UK at home. Against everybody's predictions, we swept UK & took that mojo into the SECT which we won.

After losing to Central Arkansas, I remember everybody was hoping we would take 1 from UK, because last year UK was a badass baseball team & we...were not.

Concerning this weekend, add to that the fact Danzler has a hurt shoulder (he'll play against us but not be 100%).

In a long-winded way I am saying if this MSU team can not take 2 out of 3 from USCe this weekend considering what is on the line, then they should be ashamed of themselves.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 12:34 PM
At this point last year we traveled to UF & went 1-2, (eerily reminiscent of traveling to OM & going 1-2), then got beat by Central Arkansas in a mid-week game (can somebody please explain this Central Arkansas phenomenon to me) & in the last series of the season we swept UK at home. Against everybody's predictions, we swept UK & took that mojo into the SECT which we won.

After losing to Central Arkansas, I remember everybody was hoping we would take 1 from UK, because last year UK was a badass baseball team & we...were not.

Concerning this weekend, add to that the fact Danzler has a hurt shoulder (he'll play against us but not be 100%).

In a long-winded way I am saying if this MSU team can not take 2 out of 3 from USCe this weekend considering what is on the line, then they should be ashamed of themselves.

I remember all of that, so no history lesson needed. And I agree that the team should be ashamed if they don't win this weekend. Yet still, I don't think we win the series. I am hoping we will, and I will pull like hell...but I predict we lose 2 close games and win 1.

msstate7
05-13-2013, 12:37 PM

One difference between this year and last being that our starting pitching was much more consistent last year. That said I agree we should take 2

Will James
05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
That Central Arky game last year was the worst game I've ever seen at DNF. It was Croom 3-2 esque. I hope we don't pull that vs Oral Roberta

Hump4Hoops
05-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Sort of touches on something I've been thinking about.

As we saw last year, the SEC tourney isn't particularly important. Your wins and losses there rarely effect postseason seeding. And the automatic ticket to the NCAA for the tourney winner is no prize at all - making the NCAA tourney is often easier than making the SEC tournament.

It will never happen, but I'd like to see the winner of the SEC tournament get an automatic hosting spot. That would give the tourney some real meaning.

Coach34
05-13-2013, 12:58 PM
they said before the season that this year's conference Tourney's would carry more weight