PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Gavin Collins

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Hell of a job catching Lingo last night in a high pressure situation.

Also, my boy Henderson continues to be a postseason machine. He is always a part of our run scoring innings it seems like. I really wish he had a medical redshirt and could return next year.

Last but not least... Lindgren, thanks for making the Ferris committee look like the jokes that they are.

Hail State

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Hell of a job catching Lingo last night in a high pressure situation.

Also, my boy Henderson continues to be a postseason machine. He is always a part of our run scoring innings it seems like. I really wish he had a medical redshirt and could return next year.

Last but not least... Lindgren, thanks for making the Ferris committee look like the jokes that they are.

Hail State
+1

messageboardsuperhero
05-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Someone told me a couple of weeks ago that Collins has been working his ass off in practice learning how to block pitches. I think this freshman season of catching Lindgren will help him down the road, because if he can block Lindgren, he can pretty much block anyone. He kept a couple of balls from getting away that I though were destined for the backstop tonight.

tcdog70
05-22-2014, 09:42 AM
he blocked one off His face mask. Ray Tanner said if the catcher has trouble catching Lingo how can we hit Him?

smootness
05-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Someone told me a couple of weeks ago that Collins has been working his ass off in practice learning how to block pitches. I think this freshman season of catching Lindgren will help him down the road, because if he can block Lindgren, he can pretty much block anyone. He kept a couple of balls from getting away that I though were destined for the backstop tonight.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that Collins is one of the top 2 or 3 college catchers in the country by his junior year. Blocking pitches is the one area he needs work, but his arm is a serious weapon, and he can hit.

I think he's going to be a huge stud for us over the next couple of years. I have a feeling he and Humphreys will be as good a middle of the order as anyone in the country has. If we can get another couple of guys to be big-time hitters by then (Vallot if he comes; Burdick? Ingram? Garner, if he sticks around? Holland?), that is going to be a nasty lineup.

Lefthandersrule
05-22-2014, 09:58 AM
he blocked one off His face mask. Ray Tanner said if the catcher has trouble catching Lingo how can we hit Him?

When I saw that last night it made me respect him even more for what he's doing back there.

bulldogcountry1
05-22-2014, 10:03 AM
He did a great job, but it also makes me feel stronger about getting rid of the brown turf at DNF.

Johnson85
05-22-2014, 10:17 AM

They probably made a mistake, but I can understand the choice. I usually would discount relief pitchers compared to starters and closers, except for the way we have used ours these past two seasons, they basically are as valuable as starters. This year is not nearly as damaging to the credibility of the Ferris trophy as when Bo Walace won the Connerly trophy. Leading the SEC in batting average is pretty stout. Wallace probably shouldn't even have been a finalist considering how much better Moncrief was than him, but certainly deserved no better than 4th in the rankings, and even that required that you heavily penalize Russell for his performance in the egg bowl.

godlluB
05-22-2014, 10:50 AM
He did a great job, but it also makes me feel stronger about getting rid of the brown turf at DNF.

What he said.

MarketingBully01
05-22-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't think he is leading the SEC in batting average. AJ Reed has him by like 10-15 points. Heck, I think Pirtle has almost as good an average as Bousfield. They should have waited to give this trophy out at the end of the season.

Original48
05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
he blocked one off His face mask.
This is the most underrated moment of the game. I believe it was 1-0 and they had a man on second and third. Lindgren throws a diving curveball that hits ten feet in front of the plate and Collins blocks it with his face. Huge HUGE moment in the game and yes..Cohen said post game Gavin has been working his butt off blocking pitches. Guy has a fire in him and we all saw it in the dugout a couple of weeks ago when Cohen took him out for Randolph when Lindgren came in. Collins was PISSED.

RAYn_Man
05-22-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't think he is leading the SEC in batting average. AJ Reed has him by like 10-15 points. Heck, I think Pirtle has almost as good an average as Bousfield. They should have waited to give this trophy out at the end of the season.

He doesn't even have the best average on his team. Will Allen is hitting .351

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 02:30 PM
He doesn't even have the best average on his team. Will Allen is hitting .351

This^. I thought I heard the announcer say that today too.