PDA

View Full Version : So our rooting interest for tomorrow...

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 12:20 AM
Is Vandy, Arkansas, South Carolina (?), and of course MSU. The reason I say USC over UF is bc I want SC to get the Natty seed over OM. At this point, based on the "experts"...there is pretty much zero shot of us hosting regardless...so let's try to win the tourney and root for OM to lose the Natty seed, and LSU to tank the next 2 and at least make the committee think about it if we win the thing.

Thoughts?

starkvegasdawg
05-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Can't argue with that. Have to think if the Booboo's of the north go two and home they just bent any shot at a national seed over the footboard and pounded it hard.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 07:22 AM
Can't argue with that. Have to think if the Booboo's of the north go two and home they just bent any shot at a national seed over the footboard and pounded it hard.

:eek:

shoeless joe
05-22-2014, 07:50 AM
I don't think it matters for us at this point we're a solid 2 because of rpi. Just like I don't see ole miss gettin a national seed due to rpi but crazier things have happened.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 07:52 AM
I don't think it matters for us at this point we're a solid 2 because of rpi. Just like I don't see ole miss gettin a national seed due to rpi but crazier things have happened.

I want us to be the #2 seed that makes somebody groan/cry when their regional is announced

engie
05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Give OM the national seed...

Excellent chance they would pair our regional with theirs, setting up that potentially monstrous Super. I'd think they chances are pretty good that they do this anyway -- and send up on the road to a national seed if OM isn't one...

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 07:54 AM

Excellent chance they would pair our regional with theirs, setting up that potentially monstrous Super. I'd think they chances are pretty good that they do this anyway -- and send up on the road to a national seed if OM isn't one...

I would love to knock OM out of their own Super

FFF
05-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Noooooooooooooooooo way. As fun and as exhilirating as that sounds, I want no part of that. I do not want us to have to go through Oxford to go to Omaha. We have to deal with those asshats enough throughout the year, I don't want their first trip to Omaha in 40 years to be because they beat us.

engie
05-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Noooooooooooooooooo way. As fun and as exhilirating as that sounds, I want no part of that. I do not want us to have to go through Oxford to go to Omaha. We have to deal with those asshats enough throughout the year, I don't want their first trip to Omaha in 40 years to be because they beat us.

At some point, people are going to have to consider them like FSU. Not a matter of if they choke, but when they choke.

Oxford would be one of the 2-3 most preferrable destinations, regardless of our "rivalry" with them, for a super regional among the host sites...

smootness
05-22-2014, 08:38 AM

Yeah, but think of the gloriousness if we beat them. And I'd put the odds of that at over 50%.

FFF
05-22-2014, 08:40 AM
At some point, people are going to have to consider them like FSU. Not a matter of if they choke, but when they choke.

A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, an it would be devastating to us if we allowed them to make a run in Omaha. Our rivalry is enough fuel to give them plenty of confidence. I don't care if they get to Omaha or not, just as long as it doesn't involve us in their super.

FFF
05-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Yeah, but think of the gloriousness if we beat them. And I'd put the odds of that at over 50%.

I'd prefer to leave that up to my imagination. No doubt it'd be fun, I'm not at all doubting that... I'd just rather this scenario NOT really play it's way out.

engie
05-22-2014, 08:48 AM
I'd prefer to leave that up to my imagination. No doubt it'd be fun, I'm not at all doubting that... I'd just rather this scenario NOT really play it's way out.

I'm really not understanding why you are afraid of Ole Miss in the postseason? The same team that has shown us 14 times(under Bianco) what they will do in that round -- if not before...

Could this be their year? Sure. But you just think they go mental when Virginia comes to town -- let's see how they react when it's big brother looking to make their 10th trip(2nd consecutive) and 9th since OM last went.

You think Carolina is scared to go to Clemson in the SR round?

FFF
05-22-2014, 09:05 AM
I'm really not understanding why you are afraid of Ole Miss in the postseason? The same team that has shown us 14 times(under Bianco) what they will do in that round -- if not before...

Could this be their year? Sure. But you just think they go mental when Virginia comes to town -- let's see how they react when it's big brother looking to make their 10th trip(2nd consecutive) and 9th since OM last went.

You think Carolina is scared to go to Clemson in the SR round?

Look man, you can think it'll be a sure win all you want. I don't. It would be fun as hell, I'm not doubting that, but you shouldn't pretend it'd be a sure-fire win. Like I said, the momentum of both our programs would be on the line, not just a trip to Omaha.

engie
05-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Look man, you can think it'll be a sure win all you want. I don't. It would be fun as hell, I'm not doubting that, but you shouldn't pretend it'd be a sure-fire win. Like I said, the momentum of both our programs would be on the line, not just a trip to Omaha.

I didn't say it was a "sure win". This OM team has seemed "different" to me since the nonconference as one that has a little clutch in them -- and I've made note of it several times.

My point is that it's as good of percentage win of any potential projected super regional location. That's a statistical likelihood. Why would I want to travel back to Charlottesville for a series we're statistically less likely to win than one I can go watch in Oxford?

Why would one series "put the long-term momentum of the program on the line"? It doesn't work like that in baseball. It hasn't destroyed Clemson with Carolina's rise -- nor did it help Clemson when Tanner retired. Nor did it destroy them when Carolina spent $40mil on the new stadium. Clemson has still won 9 Regionals in the 14 years of the Super Regional era...

The point is -- NEITHER Ole Miss nor MSU is going away any time soon. We will be consistent top 25 baseball programs. Both of us. I'm unsure why our fans are so slow to accept this? Holding onto a past where they were irrelevant maybe? Either way -- they are relevant now -- and are too heavily vested both administratively and as fans to slip back into irrelevance for any significant period of time. Polk allowed that to be built right up the road -- and it's here to stay. We need to learn to accept that. Nothing they can do short of actually winning a title can overcome what we have done -- as recently as last year. This isn't football. The college baseball world is big enough for both of us to be premiere caliber programs at the same time...

JMO of course... Sorry that I got off topic on the "state of Ole Miss"...

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 09:23 AM
ON a different interesting note as to who to root for:

I'm rooting for Florida to knock out SC. Tonight we play Kentucky. If we lose we get Florida. If we win, then I root for Florida to knock out cats so we get Florida. Reason? After tonight, Florida will be the only school in SEC we didn't play this year. Now that we have gone to 14 and leave 3 off schedule every year I'm sure it will not be often that a school happens to face every other one of the 13 schools in one year.