PDA

View Full Version : Why does MSU play so well in the post-season?

ShotgunDawg
05-21-2014, 11:36 PM
This is a serious trend that has been going on for what seems like decades. We don't win many regular season SEC or division titles, but compared to where we finish in the regular season, we always seem to comparatively perform better in the post season. I can point to numerous years to prove this.

We are the equivalent of an NCAA basketball team that is constantly a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, but seemingly plays like a one seed every March. Butler?

Why does MSU do this in baseball?

Is it expectations, tradition, confidence due to history, what is it?

cbrunt29
05-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Good question

CadaverDawg
05-21-2014, 11:55 PM
This thread is a death wish.

#Superstition

Carry on.

BeardoMSU
05-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Lock this shit, Cadaver*****

KNocK on WoOd!!!!1

Dawg61
05-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Because we prepare for it all year every year.

BeardoMSU
05-22-2014, 12:18 AM
This is a serious trend that has been going on for what seems like decades. We don't win many regular season SEC or division titles, but compared to where we finish in the regular season, we always seem to comparatively perform better in the post season. I can point to numerous years to prove this.

We are the equivalent of an NCAA basketball team that is constantly a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, but seemingly plays like a one seed every March. Butler?

Why does MSU do this in baseball?

Is it expectations, tradition, confidence due to history, what is it?

This shit ain't rocket science, boys.

It's a rather simple concept.....

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/big-ol-dick.gif?w=650

BeardoMSU
05-22-2014, 12:21 AM
And a little bit of this in the locker room never hurts........

http://i.minus.com/iHkgVCIvYLF8D.gif

ShotgunDawg
05-22-2014, 07:15 AM
This thread is a death wish.

#Superstition

Carry on.

I agree that this would be a violation of the superstition code if this were a one year observation, but this has been going on for 20 years and isn't limited to what happens this year. Traditionally, MSU just plays better in the post season, and I'm just curious as to why.

BulldogBear
05-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Didn't one of our 80s or 90s CWS teams start of terrible? Like 11-11 or something before winning 40 of the next 50 or so? Can't remember.

Nice Beardo.... but why do we need a hairbrush in the locker room?

CadaverDawg
05-22-2014, 07:50 AM
I agree that this would be a violation of the superstition code if this were a one year observation, but this has been going on for 20 years and isn't limited to what happens this year. Traditionally, MSU just plays better in the post season, and I'm just curious as to why.

True.

We just seem to prepare for it all year. Frustrating at times , but the proof is in the puddin

smootness
05-22-2014, 08:23 AM
I would say Michigan State is a more apt basketball comparison.

But at least since Cohen's been here, it's because he understands it's all about the postseason, so he's ok with changing some things up and tinkering knowing it may cost us a couple of games in the regular season but will help us be ready come postseason. I think Izzo has the same philosophy - Michigan State typically plays a very tough non-conference schedule, and they often lose several of those games. But come postseason play, those games help them and they're typically more ready to go than others.

Michigan State has a high level of talent in basketball but doesn't always play up to their potential until they're coming down the stretch...much like us. I also think part of it is the history of the program. I think our players understand what it means to play baseball for Mississippi State, and they become hyper-focused once they know everything's on the line.

I also think our players may be more calm than others once postseason play starts. A program like Kentucky, without a lot of history, may win a lot of games in the regular season, but come postseason play, they may 'panic' to some degree once they find themselves in an unfamiliar position.

Mississippi State players came to State expecting to play in Omaha. They know they're right where they're supposed to be, and they just go about their business.

thedawg
05-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Our Coach does a fantastic job preparing our guys to be mentally tough.. Hes a massive dickhead in his coaching style.. at times Im sure his players hate him.. but it makes them mentally tough and they respect him. It works year after year.

RossDawg82
05-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Our Coach does a fantastic job preparing our guys to be mentally tough.. Hes a massive dickhead in his coaching style.. at times Im sure his players hate him.. but it makes them mentally tough and they respect him. It works year after year.

We win in the post season for the same reason Ole Piss doesn't. COACHING!!!!!!!!

Jack Lambert
05-22-2014, 08:56 AM
I don't know about a decade ago but I feel now it's the way Cohen had built the team. Other teams have gone out and recruited Goons for power where Cohen has recruited short fast guys who can hurt you with speed and defense. They don't get worn out after the first game. They can play day after day as if it was the first day. Look at SC line up last night. They were big and those big guys wear out faster and don't last more then two days but the biggest reason I think is the pitching. Our pen has been recruited for tournament play. Every one else has two really good guys, one above average and maybe two better then average closers but our pen is productive from top to bottom. Cohen and Butch don't have to think as hard as some of the other coaches when it comes to pitching. Those other guys have to get creative to make the pen last where Cohen doesn't. Just my opinion.