PDA

View Full Version : Remember that $60 million dollar high school stadium...

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-20-2014, 10:50 PM
that was built a couple of years ago in Texas?

It's falling apart.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/nation-s-most-expensive-prep-football-stadium-closes-two-years-after-its-built-220058771.html

dickiedawg
05-21-2014, 12:21 AM
That's a big wtf.

TheRef
05-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Yeah...most of it is 10-60% below code.

hacker
05-21-2014, 06:23 AM
Contractors pocketed that money!

whosyourdawgy
05-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Contractors gonna give all that back and more before this is over too!

Political Hack
05-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Contractors gonna give all that back and more before this is over too!

they've already committed to fixing it for free. as log as they're not jerks, they could potentially get out of this cheaper than $60m.

Jack Lambert
05-21-2014, 08:19 AM
They found cracks on the day the stadium opened and the contractor told them that it was shrinkage and said that it would cost 1 million to fix it. That's a good raket to be in. They got paid to build it and when it wasn't built correctly they are getting paid to fix it. I would be piss if I was a tax payer in that school district.

whosyourdawgy
05-21-2014, 08:22 AM
they've already committed to fixing it for free. as log as they're not jerks, they could potentially get out of this cheaper than $60m.

Why Hell yes they said they'd fix it for free. If that school district doesn't sue these contractors asses they are stupid. Fixing it for free will be much cheaper for the contractors than a HUGE lawsuit. There is insurance here that would pay as well. Again, if this school and school district let these contractors that basically tried to screw them get away with fixing their problems for no charge, somebody's heads should roll!!!!

whosyourdawgy
05-21-2014, 08:26 AM

Think of this as your house. You'd paid a builder 30,000 or so to build it for you. You get moved in and the slab starts to fall apart. You think you should just say hey, it's ok. If you fix it for free that's fine by me? Hell no. You are out of your house for months til they get it fixed. The value of your house went down the tubes. The structural integrity of the house will always be in question. You stick it to their ass for being negligent and not building it properly to begin with.

Sam&DeansDawg
05-21-2014, 08:34 AM
I went there two years ago on business and saw where Texas Tech and some small school were having a scrimage there. I decided to go check it out and it was ridiculous the amont of money they put into that thing.

Political Hack
05-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Think of this as your house. You'd paid a builder 30,000 or so to build it for you. You get moved in and the slab starts to fall apart. You think you should just say hey, it's ok. If you fix it for free that's fine by me? Hell no. You are out of your house for months til they get it fixed. The value of your house went down the tubes. The structural integrity of the house will always be in question. You stick it to their ass for being negligent and not building it properly to begin with.

I have no doubt they can be sued over it. I'm just questioning whether the district will say "fix it now" or drag it out in court for years and separately fund another contractor to repair it. We're not talking about chump change here. The district is in a difficult spot with the budget implications of this.

whosyourdawgy
05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
I have no doubt they can be sued over it. I'm just questioning whether the district will say "fix it now" or drag it out in court for years and separately fund another contractor to repair it. We're not talking about chump change here. The district is in a difficult spot with the budget implications of this.

That is all on the contractors too. They are playing in another stadium and paying them like 35K to play there. That shouldn't be on the school either. It is the best interest of the contractor to fix it regardless of lawsuit as fast as humanly possible. The longer it lingers, the more they are gonna have to pay.

ScoobaDawg
05-21-2014, 09:31 AM
It's a 3 fold problem. Cost of repair, Cost of playing 3 games in 2 different stadiums in Plano at $5,300 per game, then the LOST revenue for the year from the stadium (plus this was paid for by a bond).

For the structural engineers here... It's not bad enough to have to tear down the whole thing is it?

From Dallas News (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140519-exclusive-60m-allen-football-stadium-deemed-not-safe-will-close-this-season.ece)

'Honeycomb effect'

However, Pogue's analysis also found failures to completely fill the concourse pan deck during concrete pours, which created a "honeycomb effect," letters show.
"These construction failures exacerbate the already deficient design," the district?s attorney wrote PBK and Pogue in an April 4 letter.
PBK's team will present its conclusions and a repair solution to district officials in upcoming weeks, the firm said in a statement.
Nelson Forensics described several structural weaknesses in the concourse level in an April 2 letter to the Allen ISD attorney.
For example, in isolated areas, the space between stirrups - bent rods used to reinforce joists - was 1 inch larger than the building code allows, Nelson Forensics found.
The firm identified areas in the stadium where the load demand on the structure exceeded accepted building standards by 10 to 20 percent. In isolated locations, that number was greater than 70 percent, according to the firm's analysis.
"The deficiencies are outside of acceptable margins for error," the firm said in a letter.

Here is an Illustration of the Cracks. (http://www.scribd.com/doc/225319323/Illustration-Cracks-in-Allen-Eagle-Stadium)

DudyDawg
05-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Crazy. Luckily they shut it down before something serious like a collapse at a game happened. Sucks for those kids the most. Some will never get to play in their stadium bc of this

blacklistedbully
05-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Holy Cow, that one corner is so much worse than the rest! Makes me wonder if there was a particularly bad crew working that area, or just some other contributing factor. In any case, the whole thing is a big mess, but damn, that one corner really stands out anyway.

starkvegasdawg
05-21-2014, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Jack Lambert;179948] contractor told them that it was shrinkage and said that it would cost 1 million to fix it. QUOTE]

Shrinkage...what no guy wants to hear is the problem but would gladly pay $1,000,000 to fix if they had the money.

M.Fillmore
05-21-2014, 01:49 PM
deleted

sandwolf
05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
For the structural engineers here... It's not bad enough to have to tear down the whole thing is it?

No, they will not tear down the whole thing.