PDA

View Full Version : Tom Benson supposedly fell out after Minneapolis Selected for Super Bowl...

RougeDawg
05-20-2014, 03:52 PM
And taken to hospital.

How anyone would select Minnesota over New Orleans for an event in the dead of winter is moronic and has also caused an owner to fall out. I hope he is alright. On top of NO being a much more winter friendly city, that SB would be held in the 200 yr anniversary of Nola as a city. The other owners voting must be complete dicks.

dickiedawg
05-20-2014, 04:06 PM
This was the first time the Big Easy has ever lost a bid for the big game.

thunderclap
05-20-2014, 04:20 PM
NFL got lucky last year with the weather. Methinks they're pushing it.

smootness
05-20-2014, 04:30 PM
And taken to hospital.

How anyone would select Minnesota over New Orleans for an event in the dead of winter is moronic and has also caused an owner to fall out. I hope he is alright. On top of NO being a much more winter friendly city, that SB would be held in the 200 yr anniversary of Nola as a city. The other owners voting must be complete dicks.

They're being dicks for not giving NO the SB for the ELEVENTH time? Ok...

I do agree somewhat that they're dumb for putting Super Bowls in cold cities, but the unspoken agreement now seems to be that if you build a nice enough new stadium, you will get a Super Bowl. It's worth it to the league in order to use it as a carrot to get new stadiums built.

Homedawg
05-20-2014, 04:33 PM
NFL got lucky last year with the weather. Methinks they're pushing it.

The difference is the stadium in Minnesota is isn't an outdoor one.

Political Hack
05-20-2014, 04:36 PM
The difference is the stadium in Minnesota is isn't an outdoor one.

Super Bowl is much more than the game. fighting that weather for concerts, hotels, traffic, late night scenes, etc... will be uneccessarily difficult.

quickstrike2
05-20-2014, 04:36 PM
The power outage at the last one could have contributed to their decision. Not that it couldn't happen anywhere.

smootness
05-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Super Bowl is much more than the game. fighting that weather for concerts, hotels, traffic, late night scenes, etc... will be uneccessarily difficult.

I'm not sure how much this affects things. People who travel to the Super Bowl are going to go out no matter what. And in terms of traffic, it's not as though New Orleans is sunny and dry 24/7.

The NFL has put the Super Bowl in New Orleans so many times because it's in a fairly central location and the party scene is already there to put on the event. Sure, weather plays a factor, but suggesting an NFL city should never get a Super Bowl due to location/weather isn't going to fly anymore. Again, the new stadiums are too valuable for them.

And I feel pretty confident that once the new stadium is built in Atlanta, that could become the premier SB destination, or at least will move into the regular rotation with NO, Miami, etc.

Homedawg
05-20-2014, 04:42 PM

I get all that- but the game itself is in no danger, unlike it New York where it could have been brutal.

Political Hack
05-20-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure how much this affects things. People who travel to the Super Bowl are going to go out no matter what. And in terms of traffic, it's not as though New Orleans is sunny and dry 24/7.

The NFL has put the Super Bowl in New Orleans so many times because it's in a fairly central location and the party scene is already there to put on the event. Sure, weather plays a factor, but suggesting an NFL city should never get a Super Bowl due to location/weather isn't going to fly anymore. Again, the new stadiums are too valuable for them.

And I feel pretty confident that once the new stadium is built in Atlanta, that could become the premier SB destination, or at least will move into the regular rotation with NO, Miami, etc.

meet me there?

Political Hack
05-20-2014, 04:45 PM
I get all that- but the game itself is in no danger, unlike it New York where it could have been brutal.

oh yeah. game will be fine and possibly even have the crowd arrive inside earlier than normal. TV ratings will be the same. Revenue will be the same. The only real inconvenience is to the teams and fans there for the event. NFL makes out like bandits no matter what.

Bothrops
05-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Well I most likely won't be attending, so I don't give a damn about them changing things up. Good deal for the Twin Cities. It's probably one of the safest big city venues, but the town itself makes NYC seem warm.

thunderclap
05-20-2014, 05:32 PM
I thought the Vikings were moving into an outdoor stadium.

LC Dawg
05-20-2014, 05:39 PM
On February 2, 2014, the day of this years Super Bowl, the Twin Cities temp was a high of 14 and a low of -7. That's pretty extreme weather for most people. The NFL may regret this but they will probably just keep on making tons of money and not worry about it.

Dawgcentral
05-20-2014, 06:49 PM
I've spent some time up there. It takes a certain kind of person to live there. Most folks have never endured that kind of cold for long periods of time,..say 9 months, which is their typical duration of winter. They do a great job of taking care of the roads and the airport. Better than most cities.

But even the Native Americans had the sense to migrate out of that place before the first snow.

esplanade91
05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
300th anniversary*****

Jack Lambert
05-21-2014, 08:21 AM
They were force to build this new stadium and I guess this is a reward for doing it.

archdog
05-21-2014, 09:10 AM
They were force to build this new stadium and I guess this is a reward for doing it.

Hell this thing has been in the design phase for 5 years atleast. Good for them on getting the sb.

jumbo
05-21-2014, 09:11 AM
I thought the Vikings were moving into an outdoor stadium.

just this season while the new one is built. playing at U of Minnesota I believe

esplanade91
05-21-2014, 11:09 AM
just this season while the new one is built. playing at U of Minnesota I believe
2 seasons***

Was a sweet deal for UM. The Vikings had to make a lot of improvements to the stadium, AND they're getting paid. It's also big for them in recruiting to say a guy could share a locker with AD for a season.