PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Garner

MsStateBaseball
05-20-2014, 01:01 PM
is practicing at 1B now (I didn't know), his catching days are over. I assume if he doesn't leave, he will play 1B in summer ball to get better.

maroonmania
05-20-2014, 01:03 PM
I asked this question the other day but is there any chance that Collins changes positions if Vallot makes it to campus? Wasn't he originally also listed as an OF? Didn't know if we could use his arm in RF without the down side of all the passed balls.

basedog
05-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Interesting.

engie
05-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Collins can play almost anywhere, as can Humphreys... Garner is more limited.

MsStateBaseball
05-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Vallot played 1B in all star game I saw on TV. Did rather well.

The Croom Diaries
05-20-2014, 01:07 PM
For a team that struggles with offense, and we're losing our leading hitter (Pirtle) we need to figure out a way to keep Garner. If it means 1B then do it.

DudyDawg
05-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Would love to see Garner and Rea compete to start at first in the offseason. We need more pop and garner gives it to us. Give him an offseason to learn the position and he could be a serviceable defensive first baseman. We've known for a while he will never be our catcher, so we need to find a way to get his power on the field next season.

smootness
05-20-2014, 01:19 PM
I like the idea of Garner at 1B. From what I remember, Collins was always a C, and I think he needs to stay there. He can work on the passed balls, his arm is too valuable behind the plate.

I don't think Vallot is as highly-regarded as a C as Collins was.

Todd4State
05-20-2014, 01:21 PM
If Vallot comes to school, that would be good because:

1. We obviously need his bat.

2. We need two catchers anyway to avoid wearing both of them out.

3. Whoever is not catching can DH, which would give us a more traditional DH- a guy with power.

Todd4State
05-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Daniel Garner has been practicing at first base for while. If Rea leaves, he would be one of the front runners for the position.

He is still a work in progress at the plate too- he can smoke OOC pitching, but he only had one hit in SEC play and struck out almost every at bat. Garner will play more of a role next year and will compete for the DH spot and possibly first base.

maroonmania
05-20-2014, 01:26 PM
If Vallot comes in (and I know that is a big if) then I would like to see Collins along with possibly Humphreys moved to the OF. We don't need FOUR catchers on the roster (Collins, Vallot, Randolph, Walker) but we DO need help in the OF. Vickerson, Robson and Brown is a very weak hitting OF with only Brown looking pretty decent this year. Now some of it also depends on what Swinarski and Rooker look like in the OF as well but I don't like depending on freshmen even if they've redshirted. Humphreys, Brown and Collins could be a great hitting OF with Vickerson also being available.

Todd4State
05-20-2014, 01:32 PM
If Vallot comes in (and I know that is a big if) then I would like to see Collins along with possibly Humphreys moved to the OF. We don't need FOUR catchers on the roster (Collins, Vallot, Randolph, Walker) but we DO need help in the OF. Vickerson, Robson and Brown is a very weak hitting OF with only Brown looking pretty decent this year. Now some of it also depends on what Swinarski and Rooker look like in the OF as well but I don't like depending on freshmen even if they've redshirted. Humphreys, Brown and Collins could be a great hitting OF with Vickerson also being available.

Four is not a bad number on a 35 man roster. If we get Vallot, then Randolph's playing time is going to be limited to SWAC teams, and Walker will only get slightly more. But the thing about catcher is it's a physically demanding position- and an injury or two could be a killer.

We'll probably use Swinarski and Rooker a lot like we used Humphreys, Garner, and Cody Brown this year. As role guys- unless one of them blows up. Waddell the new guy that just committed will help with that too.

smootness
05-20-2014, 01:34 PM

I can't see us ever trying Humphreys and Collins in the same OF unless Humphreys is better defensively out there than I would expect him to be. I don't think Collins would be an asset defensively, and we'll never use two OFs who are average at best defensively at the same time.

engie
05-20-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't think Vallot is as highly-regarded as a C as Collins was.

Disagree on this. Vallot has a better arm and pop time than Collins did coming out. As good as Collins has been in some regards, Vallot is better. And his concerns are the same as Collins' were.

Collins was considered an athlete coming in and not a pure catcher prospect. Was alot of talk that he'd get a shot in the outfield initially...

maroonmania
05-20-2014, 01:49 PM
If Vallot comes to school, that would be good because:

1. We obviously need his bat.

2. We need two catchers anyway to avoid wearing both of them out.

3. Whoever is not catching can DH, which would give us a more traditional DH- a guy with power.

By my count we would have 4 catchers if Vallot comes to school but if he can play OF and leave Collins as the starting C that is fine too. At least I assume Randolph and Walker will be back.

HoopsDawg
05-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I would rotate Vallot and Collins at C and DH to keep them fresh. Put Garner at 1st and Hump at 3rd. That's 4 good bats right there with power. Then the FSU kid at short, Heck at 2nd. OF would be Brown in LF, Vick in CF, and whoever's the best among Swinarski, Rooker and any incoming player in RF.

maroonmania
05-20-2014, 01:54 PM
I can't see us ever trying Humphreys and Collins in the same OF unless Humphreys is better defensively out there than I would expect him to be. I don't think Collins would be an asset defensively, and we'll never use two OFs who are average at best defensively at the same time.

We've got to find somewhere for Humphreys to play. With the former FSU guy coming in looks to me like he, Heck and Britton will occupy 2B, SS and 3B in some fashion. Only leaves 1B as another starting infield spot and Rea may be coming back plus Garner is there as well.

maroonmania
05-20-2014, 01:58 PM
I would rotate Vallot and Collins at C and DH to keep them fresh. Put Garner at 1st and Hump at 3rd. That's 4 good bats right there with power. Then the FSU kid at short, Heck at 2nd. OF would be Brown in LF, Vick in CF, and whoever's the best among Swinarski, Rooker and any incoming player in RF.

I doubt Cohen pulls Britton off of 3rd base for Humphreys at this point. Based on what was seen this year that's a significant step down defensively.

Irondawg
05-20-2014, 02:09 PM
We have a lot of interesting choices to make with the lineup next year. SS and 2B you have to expect we have a good idea, but it's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the field shakes out. What Rea does and where Humphries fits are going to start some dominoes.

Our hitting potential goes up a good notch if you can have Garner, Humphreys, Vallot, Collins in the middle of the lineup assuming they don't all hit .200

SouthMsDawg
05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
So what is the realistic chance Vallot comes to school? I have been told there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.

AlSwearengen
05-20-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree with Todd that Valot and Collins both stay at catcher and DH. The only scenario that would change that would be if we had someone else who could absolutely rake but doesn't have a position so they had to DH. If that were the case and Valot or Collins could play first and do it well, then that would be a good route to go.

bulldogcountry1
05-20-2014, 03:52 PM
I think Garner's catching days were over before Christmas. He's been taking pregame at 1st all season.

I just hope we don't end up with too many 1st basemen next year, like a bad church league softball team. Cohen simply won't play guys who can't defend well. It doesn't matter if they hit .400, so I'm interested to see where Garner, Humpreys, and some other guys end up next year, especially if Rea stays.

I just can't see Garner staying, though. I have no inside info or anything. It just seems as though the rumors of his transfer in the spring were true, and then he didn't get many opportunities. Couple that with the big question of where he fits in defensively.

Homedawg
05-20-2014, 04:03 PM
I think Garner's catching days were over before Christmas. He's been taking pregame at 1st all season.

I just hope we don't end up with too many 1st basemen next year, like a bad church league softball team. Cohen simply won't play guys who can't defend well. It doesn't matter if they hit .400, so I'm interested to see where Garner, Humpreys, and some other guys end up next year, especially if Rea stays.

I just can't see Garner staying, though. I have no inside info or anything. It just seems as though the rumors of his transfer in the spring were true, and then he didn't get many opportunities. Couple that with the big question of where he fits in defensively.

I agree which this. Too add, at this point offensively, he looks like Wes rea at the same age. Can't read pitches, and hasn't hit any good pitching at all, which was pointed out earlier in this thread as well. I'm not sure why the talk of him coming back gives us another hitter? He certainly hasn't proved it. And he's 2 years into his career. Can he get better? Sure? Will he? I have my doubts and don't think he will do it here.

Todd4State
05-20-2014, 04:13 PM
We've got to find somewhere for Humphreys to play. With the former FSU guy coming in looks to me like he, Heck and Britton will occupy 2B, SS and 3B in some fashion. Only leaves 1B as another starting infield spot and Rea may be coming back plus Garner is there as well.

As long as Britton is on the team, Cohen is going to start him. At least he will be more qualified than ever next year to do so.

We'll find a spot for Humphreys- the only question is RF/1B/DH?

If Rea comes back, I think Garner will be the odd man out unless Vallot doesn't come on board and Garner wins the DH spot. If Vallot comes, Garner will be our top pinch hitter next year and then will start as a junior at first base.

Todd4State
05-20-2014, 04:17 PM
We have a lot of interesting choices to make with the lineup next year. SS and 2B you have to expect we have a good idea, but it's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the field shakes out. What Rea does and where Humphries fits are going to start some dominoes.

Our hitting potential goes up a good notch if you can have Garner, Humphreys, Vallot, Collins in the middle of the lineup assuming they don't all hit .200

I agree and that's one reason why I have said that our offense will be better next year.

Todd4State
05-20-2014, 04:23 PM
So what is the realistic chance Vallot comes to school? I have been told there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.

By who? Sevendust? Ask him if he thinks Brandon Woodruff still won't come to school or if Jake Mangum is still going to LSU?

To answer your question- I'd say it's right at 50/50. If he signs a pro contract, he's probably going to cost over the slot value and he won't be an easy sign. It certainly wouldn't shock me if he signs with MLB, but I wouldn't say that there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.

The best thing to do is don't get your hopes up and if he comes to school it's a pleasant surprise. I'm not counting on him showing up until the deadline officially passes, and I consider him a wild card at this point.

Todd4State
05-20-2014, 04:24 PM

I haven't heard anything lately about him leaving. At worst he's in line for the first base job as a junior and should compete for the DH spot next year.

bulldogcountry1
05-20-2014, 04:26 PM
I'm just not so sure about penciling a DH spot in advance, especially with Cohen. He's going to play matchup with the DH almost no matter what. See Jake Vickerson. There's always going to be a couple reserve players to fill that revolving door. So, even promising a DH spot for a guy like Garner isn't much to offer. That's what 50-60 ABs against lefties only? I don't see how that would appeal to many players who could go elsewhere and start. I also don't see Cohen holding a spot for a guy who can't contribute defensively, unless they can hit .300 in the league. Maybe Garner is capable of playing good defense somehwere.

Goat Holder
05-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Daniel Garner has been practicing at first base for while.

Agreed, this is old news. Garner was at 1B back in March.

smootness
05-20-2014, 04:33 PM
It certainly wouldn't shock me if he signs with MLB, but I wouldn't say that there is almost NO chance of him not going pro.

My head just exploded.