PDA

View Full Version : OT: Disaster relief training

starkvegasdawg
05-19-2014, 10:47 PM
For those of you that live in/near the Golden Triangle area and would be interested, the SBCA is having a chainsaw certification class this Saturday at Woodland Baptist Church in Columbus at 8:00AM. Great opportunity to be able to go into places like Louisville and help people start the process of getting back on their feet after the next natural disaster. There is a small fee ($7.00 I think) for a background check. They're looking for as many volunteers as they can get. If interested, let me know and I can forward you the contact information.

Goat Holder
05-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Quick question, do you really need a certification to run a chainsaw? Or is this just so you can officially be part of the cleanup teams?

starkvegasdawg
05-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Quick question, do you really need a certification to run a chainsaw? Or is this just so you can officially be part of the cleanup teams?

No, you don't need to be certified to run a chainsaw. This is just to be part of the SBCA disaster response team. I am assuming, but I know that after the Louisville tornado they had national guard restricing access to the damaged areas to help prevent looting. It may be that you have to be a member of a recognized group to be allowed in to these areas to assist in clean up instead of just showing up with a chainsaw in your hand. My guess that is the reason for the background check too so that they don't have someone that cuts trees up for 15 minutes and then as soon as no one is looking starts stuffing jewelry and other valuables in their pockets during a water break.

Goat Holder
05-20-2014, 10:37 AM
That's what I figured. I know in Louisville they got overwhelmed with volunteers (armed with chainsaws), thanks to an unorganized facebook effort by well meaning (but unprepared) neighbors from close by communities. Disaster relief MUST be organized, and people who aren't willing to do that need to stay the hell out of there.

TheRef
05-20-2014, 10:47 AM
That's what I figured. I know in Louisville they got overwhelmed with volunteers (armed with chainsaws), thanks to an unorganized facebook effort by well meaning (but unprepared) neighbors from close by communities. Disaster relief MUST be organized, and people who aren't willing to do that need to stay the hell out of there.

Yeah...the problem is that so many people want to go and help but they all just rush in and try to find places to go rather than going to the designated VRP (Volunteer Receiving Post) and signing up and being told where to go. This way, you're not in the way of S&D efforts and you're helping exactly where you are needed. Training never hurts for situations like this. I want to get a group together to do First Aid and CPR certifications because I feel that is invaluable certifications for someone who wants to chase and be able to be boots on the ground as soon as possible without being liable for stuff. (I know Mississippi has the Good Samaritan statute that protects me if I end up in a situation like that but I'd rather be certified for my own good)

starkvegasdawg
05-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Yeah...the problem is that so many people want to go and help but they all just rush in and try to find places to go rather than going to the designated VRP (Volunteer Receiving Post) and signing up and being told where to go. This way, you're not in the way of S&D efforts and you're helping exactly where you are needed. Training never hurts for situations like this. I want to get a group together to do First Aid and CPR certifications because I feel that is invaluable certifications for someone who wants to chase and be able to be boots on the ground as soon as possible without being liable for stuff. (I know Mississippi has the Good Samaritan statute that protects me if I end up in a situation like that but I'd rather be certified for my own good)

I agree. They do CPR certification here where I work and I am probably going to try and get in a class at some point. I've had some first aid training so I am not a complete novice at that but I am not certified. I know when I go out to chase I take my chainsaw with me in case I come across an area that needs roads cleared to allowed emergency responders in. I also want to get a decent first aid kit to keep with me when I am out there too because, as you said, when you are chasing most of the time you are the first person on the scene. And when that is the case it is time put the camera down and start helping people.

jeremyrbrown
05-20-2014, 11:07 AM
No, you don't need to be certified to run a chainsaw. This is just to be part of the SBCA disaster response team. I am assuming, but I know that after the Louisville tornado they had national guard restricing access to the damaged areas to help prevent looting. It may be that you have to be a member of a recognized group to be allowed in to these areas to assist in clean up instead of just showing up with a chainsaw in your hand. My guess that is the reason for the background check too so that they don't have someone that cuts trees up for 15 minutes and then as soon as no one is looking starts stuffing jewelry and other valuables in their pockets during a water break.

If anyone wants to help now and not go through certification, you can work with Samaritan's Purse. They have orientation at the Coliseum every day at 7:30 and 12:30. You can even go online and do their orientation before you show up. They are doing a lot of cleanup work every day.

http://spvolunteernetwork.samaritanspurse.org/spring-2014-tornado-response/

TheRef
05-20-2014, 11:09 AM
FEMA has sent their mobile hospital unit to Louisville to take over for the hospital...