PDA

View Full Version : Article on ESPN.com on a list of their contenders for college football playoff

starkvegasdawg
05-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Most on there were pretty safe bets such as Alabama, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Standorf, etc. However, they had a few there that had me scractching my head. Here are those teams in my opinion:

Texas A&M - Unless they somehow managed to find a defense this off season there is no way they come close to sniffing the playoffs. On top of that they lose JFF and Mike Evans. I think they may be lucky to win 7 this season.

LSU - New QB and a ton of losses to the draft. They'll be good but I don't think national title contender good.

USCe - Like LSU, they'll be good but I don't think to that elite level. They always have one letdown game a year that they lose that knocks them out of contention.

Baylor - Admittedly, I am far from an expert on this team but I just don't think they are a team that would put the fear of God into Saban, Stoops, or Harbaugh.

In an unrelated chat wrap Schlabach (sp?) said he had MSU just out of his preseason top 25 and that their biggest obstacle was playing the nightmare schedule that is the SEC west.

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Standorf...

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Texas A&M???? Really??????????????????????

The know JohnnyF has left right?

Jack Lambert
05-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Texas A&M???? Really??????????????????????

The know JohnnyF has left right?

So has Evans but not seeing the article it could be four months old.

hacker
05-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Standorf, the new Germanized Stanford

smootness
05-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Most on there were pretty safe bets such as Alabama, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Standorf, etc. However, they had a few there that had me scractching my head. Here are those teams in my opinion:

Texas A&M - Unless they somehow managed to find a defense this off season there is no way they come close to sniffing the playoffs. On top of that they lose JFF and Mike Evans. I think they may be lucky to win 7 this season.

LSU - New QB and a ton of losses to the draft. They'll be good but I don't think national title contender good.

I definitely agree on these two. Not only are they breaking in new QBs, both new QBs are likely to be true freshmen, and both will have a young defense. Good luck with that.

I could see both teams picking up some steam late in the year and potentially setting themselves up to be hyped going into 2015, but neither are serious national title contenders for 2014.

starkvegasdawg
05-19-2014, 03:31 PM
So has Evans but not seeing the article it could be four months old.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10921258/college-football-enters-new-era-2014-season-four-team-playoff

Here is the link to the article. It was published today.

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 03:40 PM

...a knickname is born

preachermatt83
05-19-2014, 08:55 PM

This made me laugh out loud, literally.

DudyDawg
05-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Aren't both harbaugh's in the nfl..?

BeardoMSU
05-20-2014, 12:17 AM
The A&M love really is perplexing. People assume their defense is gonna get better by leaps and bounds, but that D has been stacked with talent for several years now, and they've sucked; hell, we dropped 42 on 'em in their house. I still expect them to be in the bottom half of the SEC in that category. Now...the more obvious holes to fill: JFF and that 6'5" beast of a WR are gonna be impossible to replace. Yes, they may have another "stud" QB recruit, but he won't be JFF. Lightning like that doesn't strike twice.

1bigdawg
05-20-2014, 12:37 AM
A & M had three first round draft picks off of their offense. No waaaaaaaaaaaaay.

BeardoMSU
05-20-2014, 01:09 AM
A & M had three first round draft picks off of their offense. No waaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the stud from their O-line; WTF are people thinking?

RougeDawg
05-20-2014, 09:39 AM
I just don't understand all the A&M hype from all of these college football "experts". How they cannot see and comprehend that A&M is/was a 6 win team without JFF at best. He single handedly won 2-4 games each year for them. Last year we and OM beat them (6 regular season wins) and 2 years ago, Bama, OM and Flrida beat them (6 wins again). Fast forward to 2014 and I don't see 6 wins on their schedule without JFF. I see 5-6 wins for them this year and finishing 5-7th in west, depending on how OM and Ark end up. Those 3 will be pulling up the rear in the west. Is this really that difficult to see? I have nothing against A&M, but they are just a 6 win team with that defense and no JFF. It's simple.