PDA

View Full Version : Would winning 5 straight, including 4 vs Top 15 get us a host spot?

blacklistedbully
05-19-2014, 01:30 PM
If we did go on a run in the SECT, there is a great chance it could mean beating SCar, UF twice, and either OM or LSU, all Top 15. The selection show is the Monday following the SECT conclusion.

I know it's a big, "if", but if we did, do y'all really think our chances of getting a host spot are slim-to-none in that scenario?

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 01:40 PM
I think we would, the RPI would skyrocket. Nobody seems to really know the answer to this. Some people claim they do, but they don't. Some conferences like the Pac-12 are still playing the regular season, so no, I don't think it's completely decided yet.

DawgSaint
05-19-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't know it all, but I do know this. Florida, TSUN, Vandy and South Carolina are all but locks to host. You can forget taking one of their host sites. So, the question becomes does the SEC get 5 spots? If you think so, then you better hope for a quick 0-2 exit by LSU. LSU would still be ahead of us for the 5th spot. I would think we would have to win it to force the NCAA to consider giving us the 5th host site. I just think its all so unlikely I don't think its a good idea to get hopes up.

HailState39110
05-19-2014, 01:50 PM
If we did go on a run in the SECT, there is a great chance it could mean beating SCar, UF twice, and either OM or LSU, all Top 15. The selection show is the Monday following the SECT conclusion.

I know it's a big, "if", but if we did, do y'all really think our chances of getting a host spot are slim-to-none in that scenario?

I don't see anyway we could host. As of today our RPI is 30 on NCAA, and 31 on Waren Nolan which is too low for consideration and probably a low 2 seed somewhere . If you look at where we might go, its down to five spots : Florida St, TCU, ULA-LA, Miami(Fl), and Indiana . And if you look at each spot Im sure we would play a high 3 seed with a similar RPI in each of those . Here is each site with a potential 3 seed candidate we could possibly face

Tallahassee Regional
(1) Florida St (2) Mississippi St (3) UCF / West Virginia / Old Dominion (Mercer is a projected 2 seed so this means they would go to Florida or Miami)

Forth Worth Regional
(1) TCU (2) Mississippi St (3) Sam Houston St / Dallas-Baptist

Lafayette Regional
(1)Louisiana-Lafayette (2) Mississippi St (3) Kansas / Sam Houston St / Dallas Baptist

Miami(Fl)
(1) Miami (2) Mississippi St (3) UCF / West Virginia / Old Dominion

Bloomington
(1) Indiana (2) Mississippi St (3) Indiana St / Maryland / Clemson / Bryant

Jackson State won the SWAC so that pretty much locks up Ole Miss playing Jackson St as a 4 seed in Oxford for the first game in their regional

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 01:50 PM
If we beat all those teams, our RPI would be comparable to theirs. There would be a good case for us over Vanderbilt.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2014, 02:06 PM
We have no shot IMO. Why? Because IF we got to play all of those high rpi teams, that means that those teams (like LSU) are winning too.... Or at least winning enough to play us in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds. LSU will always get the benefit of the doubt if there's a toss up...plus they swept us.

Not only that, but where we used to be a likely host spot bc of our crowds and stadium...now it seems to hurt us because they know we will fill up any stadium in the country that they send us to. So I have no doubt we will end up in Miami or Indiana. We may actually want LSU to do well enough to host if we don't...bc if LSU hosts, we are more likely to play at ULL which would be close and very winnable. If LSU doesn't host, they'll be the 2 seed at ULL

Jack Lambert
05-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Everyone is trying to over think it.

HailState39110
05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
We have no shot IMO. Why? Because IF we got to play all of those high rpi teams, that means that those teams (like LSU) are winning too.... Or at least winning enough to play us in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds. LSU will always get the benefit of the doubt if there's a toss up...plus they swept us. L

LSU took the last regional this weekend from Houston and I would think Houston would be the 2 seed in Baton Rouge now

dawgclub99
05-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Ive said it once and I will say it again. OM is hosting . There is no way they will put two host sites in the State of Mississippi. Its not happening .

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Ive said it once and I will say it again. OM is hosting . There is no way they will put two host sites in the State of Mississippi. Its not happening .

Nonsense. They did it in Oregon last year.

maroonmania
05-19-2014, 05:00 PM
No, we will not host. Just give it up. IF there are 5 SEC hosts (and there won't be any more than that) LSU will get the last spot regardless of what we do in the SEC tournament. If there are only 4 then FL, Vandy, SC and OM will be it. The ONLY thing we might can accomplish in the SEC tourney apart from winning a title is going to a lower ranked 1 seed for the regional but given that everything is so regionally based now even that is not guaranteed.

getatmedawg
05-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Nonsense. They did it in Oregon last year.

The NCAA is trying to grow college baseball into new tv markets. It won't work due to the poor weather up north during college baseball season but nevertheless they are still trying. Northern teams will always get the benefit of the doubt for this reason. State and TSUN would have to finish 1 and 2 in the sec in order for both teams to host (and it's not even guaranteed at that).

I just don't see any scenario in which State jumps Florida, Vandy, South Carolina, or TSUN. I think they are all locked and the last 3 will be playing for the 8th national seed spot. I don't see the NCAA giving the SEC 3 national seeds.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2014, 05:17 PM
The NCAA is trying to grow college baseball into new tv markets. It won't work due to the poor weather up north during college baseball season but nevertheless they are still trying. Northern teams will always get the benefit of the doubt for this reason. State and TSUN would have to finish 1 and 2 in the sec in order for both teams to host (and it's not even guaranteed at that).

I just don't see any scenario in which State jumps Florida, Vandy, South Carolina, or TSUN. I think they are all locked and the last 3 will be playing for the 8th national seed spot. I don't see the NCAA giving the SEC 3 national seeds.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Goat is right, if we deserved to host we would both host... But WE don't. Hell, us, OM, and USM could all host in the same year if we are deserving. If there's a toss up, then they may choose the Northern team, yes...but finishing 1 and 2 or any other scenario where we both deserve to host...we would, no doubt.

Besides, the NCAA is still in to making money, and MSU is THE best draw, and OM is top 5-ish. They would not snub one of us if we were deserving.

maroonmania
05-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Sorry, but that's just not true. Goat is right, if we deserved to host we would both host... But WE don't. Hell, us, OM, and USM could all host in the same year if we are deserving. If there's a toss up, then they may choose the Northern team, yes...but finishing 1 and 2 or any other scenario where we both deserve to host...we would, no doubt.

Besides, the NCAA is still in to making money, and MSU is THE best draw, and OM is top 5-ish. They would not snub one of us if we were deserving.

Dead on, we just aren't high enough in the RPI nor or we high enough in the SEC pecking order.

Dawgcentral
05-19-2014, 05:51 PM
We're a pretty good road team anyway. Biggest regret is the loss of revenue in Starkville. Anyone have that calculated?