PDA

View Full Version : Ferriss Trophy

DawgSaint
05-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Who ya got? Wish we would've thought earlier to put odds on it.

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/468429288870400000/photo/1

TheRef
05-19-2014, 11:44 AM
I say Ross.....he has dominating since being pulled out of the Pen and put in the rotation.

msstate7
05-19-2014, 11:50 AM
I say Ross.....he has dominating since being pulled out of the Pen and put in the rotation.

OM beat him though so I say it's a bear. Hope I'm wrong...

DawgSaint
05-19-2014, 01:01 PM
tsun outfielder Auston Bousfield has won the Ferriss Trophy. Terrible

CadaverDawg
05-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Zero credibility with MS awards now days. Banks is one of best players in country, wins Thorpe, Wallace gets Conerly while leading the league in interceptions....Now Lindgren is the best reliever in college baseball, will prolly win postseason awards, Bousfield wins Ferris. What a joke.

OM is ranked higher and won the weekend series over us, so they win it with a lesser player. Oh well, the trophy is a joke

maroonmania
05-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Renfroe won last year so our guys had little to no chance. On all these statewide awards unless there is a slam dunk choice they are going to try and spread the wealth somewhat equally among the competing schools. Its the politically correct thing to do.

notsofarawaydawg
05-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Politically correct my ass. It's the Ole Miss thing to do with those people.

msstate7
05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
tsun outfielder Auston Bousfield has won the Ferriss Trophy. Terrible

Hopefully rea does what bousfield did. Bousfield had a lousy junior year, but followed it with a really nice senior year.

I'd love for one of our guys to have won it, but OM had a better year. I think who has the better year carries a lot of weight. Lindgren and Ross struggled this year against OM I think so that didnt help

MadDawg
05-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Now ole miss has won 5 Ferriss Trophies while MSU has won 4.

msstate7
05-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Now ole miss has won 5 Ferriss Trophies while MSU has won 4.

Next year it's gonna be Gavin Collins as a soph

ShotgunDawg
05-19-2014, 02:51 PM
So... the Mississippi sports writers chose an outfielder with an extra base hit percentage under 10 percent(Punch and Judy) over a guy that had 87 strikouts in 47 innings? Guess which one is an MLB prospect and which one is obviously not.

LC Dawg
05-19-2014, 03:04 PM
They obviously didn't go by stats because Lindgren's stats should win him the Ferriss and most states equivalent of the Ferriss. .960 ERA (.550 Conf.) and you don't win? They should do away with this trophy. (And Ross should have been a close second)

Todd4State
05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
What the hell has Austin Bousfield done this year? Seriously? If it was Chris Ellis I could have understood.

jalakin
05-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Well he is top 6 in almost every offensive category in the SEC and 3rd in batting average. Plus being key to several of there wins, but the same could be said for Ross and Lindgren. So I guess the selection comittees value offense more than their pitching.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Well he is top 6 in almost every offensive category in the SEC and 3rd in batting average. Plus being key to several of there wins, but the same could be said for Ross and Lindgren. So I guess the selection comittees value offense more than their pitching.

It's supposed to be the best player in the State, regardless of position. Best > Top 6

Steakonastick
05-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Unless you are a starter or a closer you are not going to win any awards.

jbjones
05-19-2014, 07:32 PM
It's supposed to be the best player in the State, regardless of position. Best > Top 6

And every voting body should read that statement. I feel bad for Mr. Ferriss. His trophy has become a political foosball.

RState
05-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Stuffs rigged man. There gunna flop in the postseason anyhow so it don't matter no way.

chef dixon
05-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I realize they usually pick a player for these awards on the team that is doing better and/or beat the other, but picking Bousfield over either one of their undefeated starters or their catcher who's having a huge season just seems kind of random.

messageboardsuperhero
05-20-2014, 01:19 AM
Zero credibility with MS awards now days. Banks is one of best players in country, wins Thorpe, Wallace gets Conerly while leading the league in interceptions....Now Lindgren is the best reliever in college baseball, will prolly win postseason awards, Bousfield wins Ferris. What a joke.

OM is ranked higher and won the weekend series over us, so they win it with a lesser player. Oh well, the trophy is a joke

That's what it always comes down to with these stupid state awards. Stratton and Renfroe just won it in back-to-back years, so they have to spread the wealth around. Plus, I guarantee you the voters factor in team performance and the season's head-to-head between UM and State.

That said, Bousfield has been really good, so I wouldn't call this a complete joke- but I did think both our guys were better (Lindgren especially). It's not nearly as bad as Wallace "beating out" Banks for the Conerly after Banks won the Thorpe award and Wallace led the league in INTs.

BTW, who votes for this stuff? I read somewhere that said scouts had a say in it. I'd love to see a baseball/football scout's reaction to Lingo and Banks being denied the state awards in their respective years. Lindgren is third in Ks in SEC play from the ****ing bullpen- everyone else around him in that category has thrown about twice as many innings as he has. That's just downright silly. Words cannot describe just how dominant Lindgren has been this year when he's on the mound.

messageboardsuperhero
05-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Just for reference, here are the K/9 innings numbers for the top 5 strikeout pitchers in conference play.

Nola 10.1
Montgomery 8.3
Lindgren 15.8
Mengden 7.7
Beede 8.3

Lindgren also leads qualified SEC pitchers in ERA (0.55) with the next person not even remotely close (1.34)- and I don't even want to look at how much better his FIP is than everyone else's. Frankly, when he's on the mound in short bursts, Lindgren is BY FAR the most dominant pitcher in the SEC. The more I think about it, the more mind blowing it is that he didn't win the award. I bet the area's pro scouts are sitting in a bar somewhere LOLing at the dumbass Mississippi media/Ferris Trophy voters who didn't vote for Lindgren. And yes, Ross Mitchell should have been second behind Lindgren.

Lefthandersrule
05-20-2014, 07:55 AM
^
This exactly!

NewTweederEndzoneDance
05-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Chris Ellis should have won it. Lindgren is awesome, but he's a middle reliever, which does not carry the sex appeal. Ross is awesome as well, but he finished what 7-4?

Objectively, an undefeated staff ace with a sub-2 era should run away with this thing every year. In the end, it doesn't mean a thing really anyway though.

Dog
05-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Chris Ellis should have won it. Lindgren is awesome, but he's a middle reliever, which does not carry the sex appeal. Ross is awesome as well, but he finished what 7-4?

Objectively, an undefeated staff ace with a sub-2 era should run away with this thing every year. In the end, it doesn't mean a thing really anyway though. Pitcher W/L means jack shit. I'd take Bousfield over Ellis all day. Bousfield is a top tier SEC player defensively, at the plate, and on the base paths. Was he the best player on the ballot? No. Lindgren was, but let's face it. A non closing reliever will always be fighting an uphill battle for these awards no matter what team he plays for. Some of you are overreacting.

CadaverDawg
05-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Pitcher W/L means jack shit. I'd take Bousfield over Ellis all day. Bousfield is a top tier SEC player defensively, at the plate, and on the base paths. Was he the best player on the ballot? No. Lindgren was, but let's face it. A non closing reliever will always be fighting an uphill battle for these awards no matter what team he plays for. Some of you are overreacting.

Actually we're just discussing and debating...if any post seems a little "overreacting-ish", it's yours. But point taken

ScoobaDawg
05-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Likely didnt help we had 2 players that likely split the vote.

messageboardsuperhero
05-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Objectively, an undefeated staff ace with a sub-2 era should run away with this thing every year. In the end, it doesn't mean a thing really anyway though.

Hell no. Ross Mitchell is better than Ellis, and Lindgren is 5x better than Ellis.

I get that Lindgren hasn't pitched as many innings as Ellis, but Lindgren is just so flat out dominant when he does pitch that it makes up for his lack of innings. Lindgren's K numbers are similar to the best starting pitchers in the SEC- but he's pitched half the innings as them. And yes, a pitcher's W/L record is about as meaningless as it gets.

BTW, Ellis's ERA isn't sub-2... It's over 3 in conference play, and SEC teams are hitting >.300 against him. If you wanted to vote for a starting pitcher, I'd go with either Ross or Christian Trent- both those players were head-and-shoulders above Ellis this season.