PDA

View Full Version : SEC tournament format idea

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 11:04 AM
In the thread about who to pitch Tuesday I mentioned how it was interesting the way the ACC did their tournament last year, but it was only 8 schools and that may be too few for a 14 school league. Now, they've gone 14 schools as well and their tourney to 10 and it's pretty convoluted, including the sucky play-in games and lasts 6 days. So, 8 is too few with 14 schools as almost half conference is left out. Six days is what we're trying to avoid. So, thinking outside the box and expanding on the ACC 2013 model, here goes my proposal with this year's SEC standing as an example.

If we used the 8 team model the ACC used last year (and I have division winners as auto 1 seeds) it would look like this:

First Pool: #1 Florida, #4 South Carolina, #5 Mississippi State, #8 Alabama
Second Pool: #2 Ole Miss, #3 LSU, #6 Vanderbilt, #7 Arkansas

What the ACC did was have each pool play a 3 game, 3 day round robin with some kind of appropriate statistical tiebreaker if needed to split 2-3 schools with a 2-1 record. The two "division" winners then played game for all the marbles. For 6 teams it meant 3 games like a weekend series and for the other 2, it meant 4 games. Four days, no more than four starts. Maybe 8 is too few but here's my idea to go to 12 but still only go max 4 days and max 4 starts:

FOUR "divisions of 3 schools each to play a 2 game round robin:
A- #1 Florida, #8 Alabama, #9 Kentucky
B- #4 South Carolina, #5 Mississippi State, #12 Georgia
C- #2 Ole Miss, #7 Arkansas, #10 Texas A&M
D- #3 LSU, #6 Vanderbilt, #11 Tennessee

Day 1 (Tue or Wed):
Ala-Ky
MSU-UGa
Arky-TxA&M
Vandy-Tennessee

Day 2 (Wed or Thu):
Fla-Ky
SC-UGa
UMiss-TxA&M
LSU-Tennessee

Day 3 (Thu or Fri):
Fla-Ala
SC-MSU
UMiss-Arky
LSU-Vandy

...at this point each "division" will have a winner and the other 8 schools can go home with only having to have played 2 games. If a "division" splits at 1-1 each break the tie as follows:

1) point differential (reward offense)
2, 3, and 4) lowest ERA (reward pitching) or fewest errors (reward defense) or most hits (reward hitting). Not sure which should be 2, 3, or 4
5) Finally if you must, use reg season record (reward accomplishment and success)

Day 4 (Fri or Sat):
A(#1 bracket) vs. B(#4 bracket)
C(#2 bracket) vs. D(#3 bracket)
Championship game between 2 remaining

8 teams play no more than 2
2 teams play no more than 3
2 teams play 4
No 6 game bullpen murdering, team exhausting run

HailState39110
05-19-2014, 11:27 AM
CUSA does the 3 game Pod system too and I like that format . The only problem is it only works with 8 teams.

The SECT format is way too confusing now going from single to double back to single elimination.

I would go ahead and invite all 14 teams and make the whole thing single elimination . You don't have to burn your whole pitching staff to win the thing like you do now , especially if you play on Tuesday . This would create 4 games wed, 4 games thurs, 2 games sat, 1 game sun .

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 11:56 AM
SECT could be fixed very simply. Either let them ALL play for a shot at the NCAAs like basketball (I think this would be a fantastic idea) or do 10 teams maximum.

1 - Everyone plays. On Tuesday, it's single elimination just like now. 2 teams get byes, 12 others play for 6 spots. From Wednesday to Sunday, play the 8 team CWS format, with a single game championship at the end. Yes, that's the possibility of 6 games if you play on Tuesday, win, then get into the loser's bracket. But it's not supposed to be easy.

2 - 10 team double elimination. You still get the 'if you make Hoover you're likely in the NCAA field' deal, and it's not just too many teams, like this year is. 6 teams with byes, 4 teams play a single elimination game on Tuesday. Again, for the bottom teams, it's supposed to be tough. But there again when you only have 10, most of these teams are probably in the NCAAs already anyways. There are also 10 team double elimination formats out there.

Quaoarsking
05-19-2014, 12:05 PM
I agree on 14-team single elimination. If the Committee doesn't care and the teams don't care, keep it simple. Having 14 fanbases will increase the profit and no one's bullpen gets stressed.

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 01:38 PM
I agree on 14-team single elimination. If the Committee doesn't care and the teams don't care, keep it simple. Having 14 fanbases will increase the profit and no one's bullpen gets stressed.

I think single elimination all the way through is a terrible idea. College baseball is a double elimination game, always has been. Only make it single elimination for the opening round, mainly because the bottom feeders don't deserve the benefit of double elimination unless they win their way in.

If you're a bottom tier teaming playing for a berth in the NCAAs, your bullpen SHOULD get stressed. Getting in the NCAAs via your conference tournament is not supposed to be easy. I also do not buy that a long run in a conference tournament wears your team out. Even if they played Sunday, you'd have 4-5 days before the regional starts. I'd rather my team be playing actual games rather than practicing.