PDA

View Full Version : Will taking Chason Virgil affect our recrutiing of Jawon Pass?

Lloyd Christmas
05-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy about the Chason Virgil commit. However, Jawon Pass looks like that rare talent that comes along only every few years. Wanted a recruitnicks opinion on if it will be tougher to get a commitment from Pass now that we have another QB commit in the 15 class and are stockpiling dual threats at the moment.

spiritual_machine2005
05-19-2014, 09:57 AM
If he is as good as advertised it shouldn't. Most schools take at least 1 QB in every class i think. If they don't, you run into the situation we had last spring where we had only one healthy scholarship QB to go spring. And he didn't make it past the first game.

Pollodawg
05-19-2014, 11:24 AM
No way to know really. I hope we can land Pass because I think, like you said, he is a program changer caliber QB. With Ohio State in the picture, we're gonna have some stiff competition for Pass, but I hope Big Bro (crosses fingers that he commits) and Atrimas Samuel stay in his ear about MSU.

hacker
05-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Pass is in the 2016 class, why would this affect him?

Lloyd Christmas
05-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Pass is in the 2016 class, why would this affect him?

I know he's in a different class - just wondering if it will affect anything. You never know with 18 year old egos and the wrong people in your ear. Having said that, it's a loooooong way to 2015 signing day, much less 2016.

Pollodawg
05-19-2014, 12:45 PM
If anything, I would think that Pass' interest in us might scare off Virgil. He may not think that he has any shot at starting here if we sign Pass and may opt to go where there is less competition with Staley and Fitz already on board.

dawgs
05-19-2014, 12:46 PM
If you aren't taking at least 1 QB in every class, you're recruiting wrong. No one is a sure thing, whether that means a sure thing to commit/sign, qualify, or simply pan out. You get at least 1 new guy on campus each cycle and let playing time get sorted out on the field.

engie
05-19-2014, 01:33 PM
This question reminds me so much of the "Auburn has 4 scholarship QBs already on roster.... Why in the world would Cam choose to go there?" thing that a lot of MSU fans were saying.

Pass is a 5* and the #2 overall qb in the country in his class. Guys that are that elite generally give little-to-zero thought to what's in front of them...

Pollodawg
05-19-2014, 02:27 PM
This question reminds me so much of the "Auburn has 4 scholarship QBs already on roster.... Why in the world would Cam choose to go there?" thing that a lot of MSU fans were saying.

Pass is a 5* and the #2 overall qb in the country in his class. Guys that are that elite generally give little-to-zero thought to what's in front of them...

If we get him, he knows he's the guy.

smootness
05-19-2014, 02:45 PM

This. Just about every player at every position, regardless of their ranking, thinks they're going to come in and play right away. Multiply that by a few for the truly elite guys.

It's not as though the other schools Pass will be deciding between won't have guys as highly-rated as Virgil. Otherwise, we would routinely see prospects like that end up at Middle Tennessee State.