PDA

View Full Version : A glance at next year's baseball team...

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I know there's a lot of baseball left to be played...but let's look at who we return next year, not counting incoming Freshmen. Help me out, bc I'm just going off the top of my head.

Outfield:

CT (likely returning)
Robson
Henderson
Armstrong
Who else?

3rd Base:

Norris (I don't see him returning)
Flair (Will he stay at 3rd?)
Detz

ShortStop:

Frazier (Possible return)
Britton

Second Base:

Pirtle
Hann

First Base:

Rea

Catcher:

Garner
JUCO guy?

Who all am I leaving out? Also, are there any guys that you recruiting guys feel like could come in and start right away? What do you see as our likely (really early) starting lineup and hopeful rotation?

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Pitchers:

Lindgren
Woodruff
Bracewell
Ross
Holder
Fitts
Cox
Gentry
Shelly
Brown
CT
Norris (possibly)
Who else?

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
C- I think Cody Kelly, Daniel Garner, Gavin Collins (Fr.) and Zach Randolph will all battle. I wouldn't be surprised if another JUCO catcher tries to walk-on as well. Conner Goodspeed from Hinds?

1B- Rea. Hopefully he stays healthy.
2B- Pirtle unless he moves to SS. If he does, it could be Kyle Hann or Matthew Britton.
3B- Could be Detz, Norris, Flair, or Reid Humphries.
SS- Frazier if he comes back. If he doesn't, it will likely be between Pirtle, Humphries, Britton, and Hann.

Infield note- I think Reid Humphries will start somewhere on our infield next year. Frazier will determine a lot of what happens.

RF- Demarcus, Jake Vickerson, Armstrong Flair, Gavin Collins, Brent Rooker
CF- CT and if CT goes, I have no doubt it will be Robson.
LF- Robson unless CT leaves, and then it could be Demarcus, Jake Vickerson, Armstrong, Tyler Fullerton, Brent Rooker, or Collins

DH- hopefully Detz. I say hopefully because this would mean third base has been upgraded.

Fri- Woodruff
Sat.- Lindgren
Sun.- Fitts/Bracewell?

Midweek- Will Cox?

Closer- Holder

Dakota Hudson is going to be interesting to watch if we get him to Starkville. He could slip into the Sunday spot as well. We are getting a LOT of good quality arms as freshmen next year- Austin Sexton, Vance Tatum, Zac Houston, Glenn Irby, Jacob Billingsley, and Avery Geyer are all going to be guys to watch in the fall. We are getting two JUCO pitchers in Ben Hudspeth and Luke Laster that should help the bullpen out some and help replace Pollorena. I think John Marc Shelly will take a big step forward as well as Myles Gentry next year. Ross should be even better, we'll see what we do with CT and Norris- I wouldn't be surprised to see Norris moved to pitcher full time.

Jacksondevildog
05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Speaking of Vance Tatum, he is throwing against NWR and Reid Humphreys right now. You can watch online here:

http://www.nwrcougarsports.com/ckfindercontent/files/MS_1015.htm

Homedawg
05-12-2013, 07:38 PM
C- I think Cody Kelly, Daniel Garner, Gavin Collins (Fr.) and Zach Randolph will all battle. I wouldn't be surprised if another JUCO catcher tries to walk-on as well. Conner Goodspeed from Hinds?

2B- Pirtle unless he moves to SS. If he does, it could be Kyle Hann or Matthew Britton.
SS- Frazier if he comes back. If he doesn't, it will likely be between Pirtle, Humphries, Britton, and Hann.

Infield note- I think Reid Humphries will start somewhere on our infield next year. Frazier will determine a lot of what happens.

LF- Robson unless CT leaves, and then it could be Demarcus, Jake Vickerson, Armstrong, Tyler Fullerton, Brent Rooker, or Collins

DH- hopefully Detz. I say hopefully because this would mean third base has been upgraded.

Fri- Woodruff
Sat.- Lindgren
Sun.- Fitts/Bracewell?

Midweek- Will Cox?

Closer- Holder

Dakota Hudson is going to be interesting to watch if we get him to Starkville. He could slip into the Sunday spot as well. We are getting a LOT of good quality arms as freshmen next year- Austin Sexton, Vance Tatum, Zac Houston, Glenn Irby, Jacob Billingsley, and Avery Geyer are all going to be guys to watch in the fall. We are getting two JUCO pitchers in Ben Hudspeth and Luke Laster that should help the bullpen out some and help replace Pollorena. I think John Marc Shelly will take a big step forward as well as Myles Gentry next year. Ross should be even better, we'll see what we do with CT and Norris- I wouldn't be surprised to see Norris moved to pitcher full time.

If Norris is back ill fall out of my chair. But for arguments sake, he comes back. Why is he going to pitch? He throws 86-88 flat as hell w an avg breaking ball. There is a reason he doesn't pitch now.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Well, I'm not saying he is going to pitch a lot or anything grand like that either. He was drafted out of high school as a pitcher by the Rangers, and he has good control. If he focus on just pitching, who knows? He could be valuable getting right hand hitters out or eating an inning for us. Ross throws much slower than that, and maybe Butch will teach him how to throw a cutter or something to give him some extra movement. We'll find out in the offseason.

Plus, he doesn't have any value to us right now as a hitter or a third baseman. He has no power, he is not hitting for average, and his defense has been below average. Daryl also has one more year left- so where would he be going? I can't see anybody drafting him- although Jet Butler got drafted, so you never know.

What I can tell you is Cohen sent him to the bullpen today, and I have to believe that they were at least considering letting him pitch.

mic
05-12-2013, 08:05 PM

Fri- Woodruff
Sat.- Lindgren
Sun.- Fitts/Bracewell?

Midweek- Will Cox?

Closer- Holder

Rotation:
Lindy
Woody
Holder

closer
Bracewell

Goat Holder
05-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Assuming Frazier, Bracewell and CT come back, I don't see how anybody can look at this thread and not see a national seed caliber team. Norris is talented and I think we'll find somewhere for him next season, if it's on the mound fine by me. I think many people fail to realize how much a year of maturity means. Rea/Frazier/Pirtle/Detz/CT/Henderson/Norris/Armstrong as 4th year guys.....that's a veteran team with talent.

M.Fillmore
05-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Are we leaving out Cord?

Homedawg
05-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm not saying he is going to pitch a lot or anything grand like that either. He was drafted out of high school as a pitcher by the Rangers, and he has good control. If he focus on just pitching, who knows? He could be valuable getting right hand hitters out or eating an inning for us. Ross throws much slower than that, and maybe Butch will teach him how to throw a cutter or something to give him some extra movement. We'll find out in the offseason.

Plus, he doesn't have any value to us right now as a hitter or a third baseman. He has no power, he is not hitting for average, and his defense has been below average. Daryl also has one more year left- so where would he be going? I can't see anybody drafting him- although Jet Butler got drafted, so you never know.

What I can tell you is Cohen sent him to the bullpen today, and I have to believe that they were at least considering letting him pitch.

Big difference between Ross and Darryl. Ross is lh and has sink and lateral movement. Daryl is flat period. As for today, he might have gone to bullpen to warm up, but he wasn't about to pitch.

Homedawg
05-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Assuming Frazier, Bracewell and CT come back, I don't see how anybody can look at this thread and not see a national seed caliber team. Norris is talented and I think we'll find somewhere for him next season, if it's on the mound fine by me. I think many people fail to realize how much a year of maturity means. Rea/Frazier/Pirtle/Detz/CT/Henderson/Norris/Armstrong as 4th year guys.....that's a veteran team with talent.

If Frazier comes back that's a big boost, no doubt. But that's a big if. As for Norris, if he comes back it will be wo athletic aid. And why because hes a sr is he going to all the sudden be a factor? Ain't happening. Wish for a fr to help us on the mound- that's possible. Norris being a help? That's not.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Fri- Woodruff
Sat.- Lindgren
Sun.- Fitts/Bracewell?

Midweek- Will Cox?

Closer- Holder

Good stuff, Todd. I am extremely pumped about the next 3-4 years on the mound. We have got some damn talent both here and headed in..lit should be fun to watch Butch work with these guys. I hope Butch stays for a long time.

As for the position players, it sounds like there is a good possibility that the only ones we lose are at Right Field and Catcher. I would love to see the kid for NWR come in and take 3B where we could DH Detz. We just need to find us one more outfielder that can truly hit. We've got CT in center, and Robson/Hendo in Left field....but we have got to find a solid bat to replace Renfroe. And by solid, I mean someone better at the plate than a Henderson/Armstrong/Robson. We can't afford to have Robson AND Henderson both in the lineup next year in my opinion.

Are we looking at any JUCO outfielders? Does anyone know if Matt Wells got the memo about Sam Wilson? Maybe worst case scenario, we keep Detz at 3rd and play Humphries in the outfield?

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Big difference between Ross and Darryl. Ross is lh and has sink and lateral movement. Daryl is flat period. As for today, he might have gone to bullpen to warm up, but he wasn't about to pitch.

I'm not sure what Daryl did to you, but I don't think it's a stretch for him to be a decent middle relief guy for us. In 2011 he went 2-0 with an ERA of 3.20 with 19K's and 12 BB's and held opponents to a .213 AVG in 25.1 innings. And that was as a freshmen trying to be a dual position guy. If he focuses on pitching and adds a cutter or something like that, he could certainly be serviceable.

I was just saying that Daryl's velocity is enough at 86-88 to get by in the SEC when I was comparing him to Ross. I agree about his fastball being straight, which is why I suggested Butch teach him some other pitch to throw.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Good stuff, Todd. I am extremely pumped about the next 3-4 years on the mound. We have got some damn talent both here and headed in..lit should be fun to watch Butch work with these guys. I hope Butch stays for a long time.

As for the position players, it sounds like there is a good possibility that the only ones we lose are at Right Field and Catcher. I would love to see the kid for NWR come in and take 3B where we could DH Detz. We just need to find us one more outfielder that can truly hit. We've got CT in center, and Robson/Hendo in Left field....but we have got to find a solid bat to replace Renfroe. And by solid, I mean someone better at the plate than a Henderson/Armstrong/Robson. We can't afford to have Robson AND Henderson both in the lineup next year in my opinion.

Are we looking at any JUCO outfielders? Does anyone know if Matt Wells got the memo about Sam Wilson? Maybe worst case scenario, we keep Detz at 3rd and play Humphries in the outfield?

You mean Jake Wells? I'm sure with everyone tweeting it, they got the memo.

I haven't heard if we are looking for a JUCO outfielder or not. I know that a LOT of people like Gavin Collins and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in the outfield as a freshman.

State82
05-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Are we looking at any JUCO outfielders? Does anyone know if Matt Wells got the memo about Sam Wilson? Maybe worst case scenario, we keep Detz at 3rd and play Humphries in the outfield?[/QUOTE]

Is Vickerson a JUCO?

Will James
05-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Look y'all may think I'm crazy but I'm telling you Lindgren will be the best pitcher in the SEC next year and will probably be a 1st round pick. He is that good and actually has the tools that translate to the next level (K's, little BB's)

Did y'all know that this season Graveman and Lindgren have statistically the same SEC ground ball percentage? On balls in play Graveman is at 79% and Lindgren 77%. Pollorena is at 51% for reference.

Ground balls are huge at the next level with the increase in power. So not only is Lindgren getting groundballs at the same rate of our sinkerballer, he also racks up K's. 59 K's in 50.2 IP. Even further, he usually has great command. A K/BB of 3.69. That rate would be tied for 19th among all MLB pitchers last season.

Jacob is going to dominate the Cape and SEC next season. He's had terrible luck, Frazier just added to it today. Y'all thought Stratton was fun last year,get ready for a ride next year with Lindgren.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 10:20 PM
You mean Jake Wells? I'm sure with everyone tweeting it, they got the memo.

I haven't heard if we are looking for a JUCO outfielder or not. I know that a LOT of people like Gavin Collins and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in the outfield as a freshman.

Yea, I meant Jake.

Good to know about Collins. Is there somewhere that I can look at a list of our recruits? Where do you find this info? What type of player is Collins? A slap guy like CT and Robson, or a guy that could add a little pop to our lineup?

engie
05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Yea, I meant Jake.

Good to know about Collins. Is there somewhere that I can look at a list of our recruits? Where do you find this info? What type of player is Collins? A slap guy like CT and Robson, or a guy that could add a little pop to our lineup?

I've pasted the info here a couple times... but here you go:

http://mississippistate.scout.com/3/signees.html

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanks I must not have been paying enough attention when you posted that link before.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 10:36 PM

That Dylan Ingram kid looks like a damn stud based on his numbers...

Dylan Ingram, 1B, 6-4, 210, R-R, Edgewood Academy (AL)
As a junior, he hit .541 with 69 RBI. He was the AISA player of the year as a junior ... Has outstanding power potential ... He is also an outstanding student with a 4.0+ gpa and a 28 act ... He chose MSU over over Auburn, Florida State and several others

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 10:56 PM
That Dylan Ingram kid looks like a damn stud based on his numbers...

Dylan Ingram, 1B, 6-4, 210, R-R, Edgewood Academy (AL)
As a junior, he hit .541 with 69 RBI. He was the AISA player of the year as a junior ... Has outstanding power potential ... He is also an outstanding student with a 4.0+ gpa and a 28 act ... He chose MSU over over Auburn, Florida State and several others

Yes, he has put up really good numbers. I wonder about his competition though.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 10:57 PM

Is Vickerson a JUCO?[/QUOTE]

Vickerson is a JUCO.

msstate7
05-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Is Vickerson a JUCO?

Vickerson is a JUCO.[/QUOTE]
Anyone got his stats?

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Anyone got his stats?

Just this...

Jake Vickerson, OF, 5-10, 180, R-R, Shelton State (AL) Community College
One of the top junior college prospects in the state of Alabama ... As a freshman, he batted .381 in 194 at-bats, walking 30 times while striking out just 1 times. He stole 19 bases in 21 attmpts ... Chose MSU over Alabama

1 strikeout is very impressive. And it looks like he has pretty good wheels too.

msstate7
05-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Just this...

Jake Vickerson, OF, 5-10, 180, R-R, Shelton State (AL) Community College
One of the top junior college prospects in the state of Alabama ... As a freshman, he batted .381 in 194 at-bats, walking 30 times while striking out just 1 times. He stole 19 bases in 21 attmpts ... Chose MSU over Alabama

1 strikeout is very impressive. And it looks like he has pretty good wheels too.
Yeah that strike out to walk ratio is very impressive. Hope he has some pop with that contact

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Look y'all may think I'm crazy but I'm telling you Lindgren will be the best pitcher in the SEC next year and will probably be a 1st round pick. He is that good and actually has the tools that translate to the next level (K's, little BB's)

Did y'all know that this season Graveman and Lindgren have statistically the same SEC ground ball percentage? On balls in play Graveman is at 79% and Lindgren 77%. Pollorena is at 51% for reference.

Ground balls are huge at the next level with the increase in power. So not only is Lindgren getting groundballs at the same rate of our sinkerballer, he also racks up K's. 59 K's in 50.2 IP. Even further, he usually has great command. A K/BB of 3.69. That rate would be tied for 19th among all MLB pitchers last season.

Jacob is going to dominate the Cape and SEC next season. He's had terrible luck, Frazier just added to it today. Y'all thought Stratton was fun last year,get ready for a ride next year with Lindgren.

I don't think you are crazy at all. I think he can be very good for us next year. He and Woodruff have the potential to be quite a tandem.

I do think you are putting too much emphasis on luck though- like I said his luck will be a lot better once he locates his pitches better. Sure, Frazier misplayed that ball- but only after Lindgren walked the bases loaded and hit a guy to get a run in.

In SEC play, his ERA is 5.62 and teams are hitting .271 against him. Almost all of his walks have come in SEC play, and of his 59 K's on the year, only 37 have come in SEC play.

The reason why his luck is bad is when he misses, he tends to miss over the plate and up and it's very hittable. And it may very well be a ground ball that's a rocket through the infield.

Also, FWIW- Lindgren's out pitch is a sinker, so him getting a lot of ground balls isn't surprising.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 11:17 PM
After next season we will be losing the following (some we will lose after this season possibly):

Frazier
Detz
Bradford
Henderson
Bracewell
Norris
Pirtle
Holder (possibly)
Lindgren (possibly)
Woodruff (possibly)
Armstrong

That's a lot of turnover due to JUCO guys filling major roles this year and next. It is important that we have some young guys step up next season so they can take over at key spots the following year. I know this is the way college baseball is now....if you're good, you probably start your Soph year and then leave after your Junior year.

It really makes you realize what Goat was saying in a different thread about next season. We will be losing some key players, but we will be loaded with experience for the most part. If we can get Lindgren and Woodruff to where we think they can be, we could make another nice run next season.

Hopefully this is a trend we continue to see when looking ahead to the following year.

Question for Todd and others...is it a concern to have 2 or 3 JUCO guys playing a lot for us when it comes to depth and program building? I don't like having a ton of Jucos in football, but is it the same in baseball or no concern? Because we have Detz, Pirtle, and Porter that contribute quite a bit for us. That's a 3rd of our lineup some days.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Vickerson is a JUCO.
Anyone got his stats?[/QUOTE]

This year he hit .363 with 0 home runs and 23 RBI's while stealing 23 bases in 24 attempts. He also walked 37 times and struck out 13.

msstate7
05-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Anyone got his stats?

This year he hit .363 with 0 home runs and 23 RBI's while stealing 23 bases in 24 attempts. He also walked 37 times and struck out 13.[/QUOTE]
Leadoff hitter?

Will James
05-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Leadoff hitter?

Him Detz and Frazier 1-2-3 would make Rea the SEC RBI King next year at cleanup.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 11:37 PM
After next season we will be losing the following (some we will lose after this season possibly):

Frazier
Detz
Bradford
Henderson
Bracewell
Norris
Pirtle
Holder (possibly)
Lindgren (possibly)
Woodruff (possibly)
Armstrong

That's a lot of turnover due to JUCO guys filling major roles this year and next. It is important that we have some young guys step up next season so they can take over at key spots the following year. I know this is the way college baseball is now....if you're good, you probably start your Soph year and then leave after your Junior year.

It really makes you realize what Goat was saying in a different thread about next season. We will be losing some key players, but we will be loaded with experience for the most part. If we can get Lindgren and Woodruff to where we think they can be, we could make another nice run next season.

Hopefully this is a trend we continue to see when looking ahead to the following year.

Question for Todd and others...is it a concern to have 2 or 3 JUCO guys playing a lot for us when it comes to depth and program building? I don't like having a ton of Jucos in football, but is it the same in baseball or no concern? Because we have Detz, Pirtle, and Porter that contribute quite a bit for us. That's a 3rd of our lineup some days.

On the JUCO's- it depends. I think you can go overboard with it, but I also think that there is a lot of value in bringing in a guy that can come in and help you right away- even if it is someone like a Trey Porter. I think the key is getting production out of them- Pollorena, Slauter, Pirtle, Detz- all are guys that have helped us out immensely not to mention guys like Vickerson and Jarrod Parks as well.

I think in a perfect world, you want all of your starters to be guys that you brought in from high school as freshmen and your role players- middle relief, pinch hit, pinch run, maybe in some cases DH, back-up catcher- come from JUCO's. But it's not a perfect world. Guys don't make it to school because of the draft or grades or whatever like Chase Lewallen, or some don't pan out like Daryl Norris. You have to find a way to make up for that. We're doing that with Pirtle and Detz.

Honestly, as far as building our program- JUCO's have been a big key in getting us back on the map. But if they can play and can help us, it doesn't matter to me that they came from a JUCO. Cohen had a lot of success at Kentucky with JUCO guys too. Oregon has used a lot of JUCO's to build their program. Cal-State Fullerton uses them quite a bit.

One thing to notice is that not very many of our JUCO's come from Mississippi JUCO's and that's because the league is weak for baseball. That may improve now that teams can recruit outside of their territories in all sports. There are some good players in the league- in fact the top JUCO prospect plays at East Central- but you do have to proceed with caution and you probably don't want to load up on Mississippi JUCO guys.

With us not having a lottery scholarship, JUCO players are something we probably need to take advantage of to build depth because we can process them out fairly quickly.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 11:38 PM
This year he hit .363 with 0 home runs and 23 RBI's while stealing 23 bases in 24 attempts. He also walked 37 times and struck out 13.
Leadoff hitter?[/QUOTE]

Yes- he is another lead off type hitter, an if he handles the bat well, he can bat second. Or for Cohen clean-up.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 11:45 PM
On the JUCO's- it depends. I think you can go overboard with it, but I also think that there is a lot of value in bringing in a guy that can come in and help you right away- even if it is someone like a Trey Porter. I think the key is getting production out of them- Pollorena, Slauter, Pirtle, Detz- all are guys that have helped us out immensely not to mention guys like Vickerson and Jarrod Parks as well.

I think in a perfect world, you want all of your starters to be guys that you brought in from high school as freshmen and your role players- middle relief, pinch hit, pinch run, maybe in some cases DH, back-up catcher- come from JUCO's. But it's not a perfect world. Guys don't make it to school because of the draft or grades or whatever like Chase Lewallen, or some don't pan out like Daryl Norris. You have to find a way to make up for that. We're doing that with Pirtle and Detz.

Honestly, as far as building our program- JUCO's have been a big key in getting us back on the map. But if they can play and can help us, it doesn't matter to me that they came from a JUCO. Cohen had a lot of success at Kentucky with JUCO guys too. Oregon has used a lot of JUCO's to build their program. Cal-State Fullerton uses them quite a bit.

One thing to notice is that not very many of our JUCO's come from Mississippi JUCO's and that's because the league is weak for baseball. That may improve now that teams can recruit outside of their territories in all sports. There are some good players in the league- in fact the top JUCO prospect plays at East Central- but you do have to proceed with caution and you probably don't want to load up on Mississippi JUCO guys.

With us not having a lottery scholarship, JUCO players are something we probably need to take advantage of to build depth because we can process them out fairly quickly.

Interesting. I had completely forgotten that Pollo and Slauter were JUCO guys...seems like they've both been here a while. I guess we'll be saying the same about Detz and Pirtle next year. It will be interesting to see if, and how much, those two guys can improve from this year to next.

If we have Frazier and CT back, and Detz and Pirtle improve even slightly...that will give us a big time group of high OBP guys to bat ahead of Big Wes next year. Robson is another that could make a big leap between this year and next and be a good on base guy. I just really want us to have a Humphries or Garner step up and give us another big bat to go with Rea....otherwise we may need to take advantage of strong pitching and good defense, and revert back to our small ball tactics from last year. Except we would have far more speed and better hitters for average this go round.

Will James
05-13-2013, 12:04 AM
I think with our recruiting disadvantage we need to focus on getting proven guys from the JUCO ranks more than others. No lottery means more risk for us. Limiting risk means JUCOing like we have. We need to be the top JUCO location in the country

How exactly does scouting/recruiting work for college? Is it just our limited coaches doing it all? I think we could be the first to really develop a high quality scouting program to help get our needs on campus and stay competitive every year.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 12:10 AM
I think with our recruiting disadvantage we need to focus on getting proven guys from the JUCO ranks more than others. No lottery means more risk for us. Limiting risk means JUCOing like we have. We need to be the top JUCO location in the country

How exactly does scouting/recruiting work for college? Is it just our limited coaches doing it all? I think we could be the first to really develop a high quality scouting program to help get our needs on campus and stay competitive every year.

I completely agree. And with the extraordinary amount of money that SEC football is about to bring in, I think baseball is about to really be upgraded across the board in the conference, so we should be the ring leaders.

Will, you better get in touch with Jake Wells about Sam Wilson

Will James
05-13-2013, 12:19 AM
I've already tweeted at him. We need more than one person. That kid is a straight up Meast.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2013, 12:26 AM
I've already tweeted at him. We need more than one person. That kid is a straight up Meast.

I can't find Wells' twitter handle. I'll send it to him if you'll give me his handle.

Todd4State
05-13-2013, 02:07 AM

Pretty much. The only guys that can go off campus to recruit are Cohen, Butch, and Mingione. Wells is a volunteer assistant and can't go off campus to recruit or scout players. That's why Wells runs the camps, and he is allowed to recruit players that are on campus for visits and things like that.

They have networks and connections. Camps are part of that. We have showcases and tournaments where select teams like Dulin's Dodgers come to Starkville, in addition to the camp. We also go off campus to Perfect Game Tournaments in Georgia like everyone else, which is just about a necessity. Cohen and Wells have some connections with JUCO coaches in Texas and California, and Wells has some from Alabama as well. Butch has a lot of connections in Alabama and Georgia from his days at Auburn and Georgia as well as his hometown in Northeast Mississippi (Tupelo/Amory). We have a really good relationship with Hinds and Itawamba as well as one with Meridian CC. I have heard that we scout the State Games in Meridian which is where pretty much all of the top players in Mississippi play in the summer, and then there is a tournament in Oklahoma we scout. Cohen also has a connection with Team Canada going back to his days at Florida as their hitting coach. We also have some high school coaches that are pro-MSU.

Occasionally Cohen will send Mingione out to recruit some midweek and let someone else coach first base and Wells coach third. We scout the JUCO World Series as well- that's where we found Pollorena.

As far as high school in Mississippi and to an extent Memphis and Alabama- if a player grew up a MSU fan and we offer, we are going to get them 90% of the time. Same for Ole Miss. Baseball players in general tend to be loyal to one school or the other and there's not a lot that can change it.

Will James
05-13-2013, 07:05 AM
I can't find Wells' twitter handle. I'll send it to him if you'll give me his handle.

@Jwells_msu

State82
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes, he has put up really good numbers. I wonder about his competition though.

I wonder about that, too. He dropped off some this year. He hit.433, 63 rbi, 14 doubles, 7 homers. Still pretty good though.