PDA

View Full Version : OT: Haven't seen this posted, AT&T to buyout DirecTV??

chainedup_Dawg
05-19-2014, 08:50 AM
I don't know if there is any truth to this or not but Tim Brando tweeted last night "@TimBrando AT&T will announce buyout of DirecTV for $49 billion on Monday...clears the way for SEC Network."

It would seem that this could answer all of the DirecTV SEC Network/No SEC Network arguments or discussions, however, I just don't know how I feel about this. For the most part, DirecTV has excellent customer service as long as you aren't a pushover. AT&T's customer service, on the other hand, lacks a lot to be desired. Not to mention, I could see the package rates being jacked up more because of a buyout versus Direct handling it themselves.

Has anyone been following this, heard anything else?

dogshiek
05-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Fewer programming choices cannot be good for consumers.

chainedup_Dawg
05-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Very true, less options means more control by the provider.

War Machine Dawg
05-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Don't know how something this big couldn't have leaked. Plus, why would DirecTV sell? I thought they were doing pretty well financially. Hope this is wrong, as I love my DTV.

hacker
05-19-2014, 09:52 AM
^ Don't hold on to hope. http://about.att.com/story/att_to_acquire_directv.html

They've been talking about this for years. The Comcast/Time Warner potential merger forced their hand, and both boards agreed unanimously on the merger.

To put it simply, DirecTV needs internet to compete with Comcast/Time Warner. AT&T needs more TV customers.