PDA

View Full Version : MHSAA Baseball Championships

Todd4State
05-19-2014, 01:24 AM
I'm going to give y'all the pertinent information so that you can watch some future MSU players in action and playing for championships.

All games are at Trustmark Park and it costs $11.00 to get in. They are best of three. The weather and graduations can affect game times, but these are accurate as of now. Seating is first come first served and while the concession stands will be open, they may not be fully open like they would for a Braves or college game.

5A- New Hope vs. West Jones- Thursday and Friday at 4 PM. New Hope has Taylor Stafford who has committed to MSU for 2014 and he plays CF and pitches. He's a lead-off type hitter, but I wouldn't rule him out as a pitcher in college just yet. New Hope also has Ole Miss commit Will Golsan who plays SS for them.

6A- Desoto Central vs. Oak Grove- Thursday and Friday at 7 PM. This is conveniently placed in the evening and also after the New Hope series. Desoto Central is loaded. MSU commits include Austin Riley, who just made the Under Armour AA game and has 9 home runs and also is their top pitcher, Keegan James who pitches for them and I would classify as an athlete who will likely be a pitcher for us, but could potentially play a position in the field, and Brant Blaylock who is an outfielder who has good speed and the frame to potentially hit for power once he fills out. All three are 2015 commits. Desoto Central also has three Ole Miss commits- Clay Casey who has over 10 home runs and is a draft prospect, Kyle Watson their SS, and pitcher Dallas Woolfork who is a 2015 commit while Casey and Watson are 2014 commits. And then they have Drew Crosby who is a 2014 commit to Memphis as well.

Oak Gove won 6A a couple of years ago, and they return one of the key pitchers from that team, 2014 USM commit LHP Kirk McCarty.

Sometimes a player will emerge during the State Championships that ends up being a really good prospect. Will Cox comes to mind for me when he pitched Amory to the Championship series. The first time I saw Anthony Alford was in the State Championship when he was a freshman. So, we'll see if that happens this year or not.

cujo
05-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Thanks for this useful information. Makes following the games a lot more meaningful. I appreciate the effort.

Political Hack
05-19-2014, 06:37 AM
sooooooo, Desoto Central appears to have an ok squad.

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 07:45 AM
That could be interesting. Do they not do lower levels at Trustmark?

msstate7
05-19-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks for this useful information. Makes following the games a lot more meaningful. I appreciate the effort.

I agree. Good job todd

Harrydawg
05-19-2014, 07:47 AM
They will have 1A - 6A! Can someone please post all match ups?

Todd4State
05-19-2014, 12:22 PM
That could be interesting. Do they not do lower levels at Trustmark?

They do all classifications, but since we don't have any commitments on any teams in 1A-4A, I just didn't talk about any of those teams.

Todd4State
05-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Wednesday, May 21, 2014

1A 10:00 Smithville vs. Cathedral or Stringer
2A 1:00 Eupora vs. Taylorsville
3A 4:00 Kossuth vs. Sumrall
6A 7:00 DeSoto Central vs. Oak Grove

Thursday, May 22, 2014
1A 10:00 Smithville vs. Cathedral/Stringer
4A 1:00 West Lauderdale vs. Purvis
6A 4:00 DeSoto Central vs. Oak Grove
5A 7:00 New Hope vs. West Jones

Friday, May 23, 2014
2A 10:00 Eupora vs. Taylorsville
3A 1:00 Kossuth vs. Sumrall
5A 4:00 New Hope vs. West Jones
4A 7:00 West Lauderdale vs. Purvis

Todd4State
05-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Apparently the DeSoto Central/Oak Grove game was moved for whatever reason- probably because of someone's graduation.

jgunn
05-19-2014, 12:57 PM
I think the DC vs OG game on Thursday will be on PBS, not sure about the other games. Did anyone see the DC\Tupelo game on Saturday. I heard the first HR Riley hit was killed, said it would've landed on the football field at DC.