PDA

View Full Version : Baseball season evaluation.....

Goat Holder
05-18-2014, 09:20 PM
I judge baseball seasons on the regular seasons. I feel that postseason play is meant to determine a champion, so who cares how far you get if you don't win it all. Obviously there are certain popular benchmarks, like Omaha. But you get my drift. That being said.

18-12 in the SEC isn't bad. We were shitty for 2 years, 14-16 for two years, 16-14 last year now 18-12, which is similar to last season when you factor in the SEC schedule strengths. We backtracked a tad on total wins, but that's OK. Anyone who's been around sports knew we'd have a let down after the season last year. We weren't ready to deal with success, and we didn't. That likely changes in the next few years when we cycle up again, this time it'll be permanent. No more 'building' towards one make or break season, we'll be reloading and contending every year, starting with 2016. We may do alright next year, depending on who comes back.

What did we say before the year started? We said the season comes down to Woodruff and Lindgren. Lindgren held his end of the bargain, albeit not as a starter. Woodruff didn't get it done until now (he's pitched fairly well recently). In the end, we didn't get it done there. Combine that with the regression of Rea and Detz and there's your season. Very simple. Leaders didn't lead by example. Then you have the injuries.

So, with all that not going right, how did we keep it together? 2 words: JUCO recrootin. Cohen's done an outstanding job with this. If we didn't get the JUCO guys that we have, we might not even be .500 this year.

In the end, another successful season. Baseline to me is always a regional. Goal in year 6 would be to host a regional. We fell short of the goal but not my much. Fuel for next year I suppose when, by the way, our goals should bump up again. I'm thinking a national seed if things go right and the right pieces come back. 2016 we should be a front-runner for the national title.

My take. I'd be completely and totally happy with where we are as a program right now if those damned worthless rebels weren't poised to make a run. I usually love this time of year but I f*cking hate knowing those irritating douchebags are still alive and could possibly cause some damage. Bianco, do what you do best.

BeardoMSU
05-18-2014, 09:46 PM
I judge baseball seasons on the regular seasons. I feel that postseason play is meant to determine a champion, so who cares how far you get if you don't win it all. Obviously there are certain popular benchmarks, like Omaha. But you get my drift. That being said.

18-12 in the SEC isn't bad. We were shitty for 2 years, 14-16 for two years, 16-14 last year now 18-12, which is similar to last season when you factor in the SEC schedule strengths. We backtracked a tad on total wins, but that's OK. Anyone who's been around sports knew we'd have a let down after the season last year. We weren't ready to deal with success, and we didn't. That likely changes in the next few years when we cycle up again, this time it'll be permanent. No more 'building' towards one make or break season, we'll be reloading and contending every year, starting with 2016. We may do alright next year, depending on who comes back.

What did we say before the year started? We said the season comes down to Woodruff and Lindgren. Lindgren held his end of the bargain, albeit not as a starter. Woodruff didn't get it done until now (he's pitched fairly well recently). In the end, we didn't get it done there. Combine that with the regression of Rea and Detz and there's your season. Very simple. Leaders didn't lead by example. Then you have the injuries.

So, with all that not going right, how did we keep it together? 2 words: JUCO recrootin. Cohen's done an outstanding job with this. If we didn't get the JUCO guys that we have, we might not even be .500 this year.

In the end, another successful season. Baseline to me is always a regional. Goal in year 6 would be to host a regional. We fell short of the goal but not my much. Fuel for next year I suppose when, by the way, our goals should bump up again. I'm thinking a national seed if things go right and the right pieces come back. 2016 we should be a front-runner for the national title.

My take. I'd be completely and totally happy with where we are as a program right now if those damned worthless rebels weren't poised to make a run. I usually love this time of year but I f*cking hate knowing those irritating douchebags are still alive and could possibly cause some damage. Bianco, do what you do best.

I liked pretty much everything you said up until here, Goat. Our success and/or security isn't measured against those ass holes. So what if they are "poised" to go on a run. We played for a national championship last year. WT17 have they done? Won the SEC West? Good for them...if this was basketball, they'd be a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT, primed for a 1st round bounce at the hands of Dayton (#wintheday). We own this state in Baseball, and we were 1 game behind them for sharing that "championship" they covet so much. Meanwhile, we judge our season on trips to OMAHA; not on bullshit banners. Shit if we had won Saturday, and gotten that "co-championship", I'd be pissed if we actually put a banner up (i.e., a certain football '03 west banner, lol).

CadaverDawg
05-18-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm more disappointed in certain details than I am the overall performance. 18-12 is a good SEC record, and we will be a tough out in a Regional. I'm disappointed that we didn't have any leaders step up. I'm disappointed that guys like Rea and Detz didn't improve on their last season's success at the plate. I'm disappointed that Woody didn't get it going, and that we had a few key arm injuries. I'm disappointed that Cohen did so much lineup craziness all the way up until the last game of the season.

On the flip side, I'm glad Britton has begun to step up like I thought he could. Ross is proving he wasn't a one year wonder. Fitts has continued to improve. Bracewell has been a warrior. Collins looks like he isn't scared to take the torch. Pirtle was the one Senior that decided he would bring it this year at the plate. Heck came out of nowhere and was a huge part of our season. CT had a decent year. Holder got back to the Holder of old after a slow start.

All in all, I was hoping to be a host and maybe a National Seed...but our guys got the big head, and a few injuries, and we had somewhat of a down year that was STILL a great year in which we'll likely be a 2 seed. I'm pumped about our program if we are saying down year and 2 seed in the same breath. It shows that MSU baseball is back where it should be.

Agree about OM, but a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. They have a good program, but will always be second fiddle to us in baseball. They know, we know it. Even a trip to Omaha this year doesn't change it.

BeardoMSU
05-18-2014, 09:49 PM
All in all, I was hoping to be a host and maybe a National Seed...but our guys got the big head, and a few injuries, and we had somewhat of a down year that was STILL a great year in which we'll likely be a 2 seed. I'm pumped about our program if we are saying down year and 2 seed in the same breath. It shows that MSU baseball is back where it should be.

Well said, Cadaver.

mparkerfd20
05-18-2014, 11:02 PM
So far I give it a C+, but we have a lot of ball left. Hopefully a whole lot.

Todd4State
05-19-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm more disappointed in certain details than I am the overall performance. 18-12 is a good SEC record, and we will be a tough out in a Regional. I'm disappointed that we didn't have any leaders step up. I'm disappointed that guys like Rea and Detz didn't improve on their last season's success at the plate. I'm disappointed that Woody didn't get it going, and that we had a few key arm injuries. I'm disappointed that Cohen did so much lineup craziness all the way up until the last game of the season.

On the flip side, I'm glad Britton has begun to step up like I thought he could. Ross is proving he wasn't a one year wonder. Fitts has continued to improve. Bracewell has been a warrior. Collins looks like he isn't scared to take the torch. Pirtle was the one Senior that decided he would bring it this year at the plate. Heck came out of nowhere and was a huge part of our season. CT had a decent year. Holder got back to the Holder of old after a slow start.

Agree about OM, but a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. They have a good program, but will always be second fiddle to us in baseball. They know, we know it. Even a trip to Omaha this year doesn't change it.

Ross Mitchell- defying Moneyball.

It's crazy that Ole Miss has two weekend starters that are undefeated right now.

ClancyDawg
05-19-2014, 06:51 AM
It's crazy that Ole Miss has two weekend starters that are undefeated right now.

Shows how irrelevant a pitchers W-L is.

shoeless joe
05-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Players make plays. But Cohen has successfully made chicken salad out of chicken shit this season. The only reason folk feel disappointed is because a lot were expected filet mignon. But the individual that deserve a ton of credit for this season is butch Thompson. With all the injury issues we were able to piece together quite a few successful weekends and Lord knows it wasn't thanks to our offense. Hopefully we can UCLA our way to a super and then who the heck knows.

As for ole miss...who gives a shit. What they do is irrelevant to us at this point. It's gonna be funny to see how many folks call for Bianco's firing if they don't make Omaha when he far exceeded a lot of expectations this season.

bulldogcountry1
05-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Hosting was the expectation for me this year. It's disappointing that we won't be, but I like the way we are playing now. Cohen finishes strong, so I start forgetting about the regular season at this point. If taking it on the chin from Holy Cross, LSU, and Jacksonville State made us a better team for the post season, then I'll take it.

Every time I see a State fan find a way to cry about UM's success in the midst of our own, I know their collective ego grows a little bit more. I just don't get the obsession.

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 07:57 AM
I was hoping to host as well and thought we had an outside shot if we'd swept Bama (3 road series in a row) and looked to win tourney. All in all I call this a "decent" season. The reason it still hurts is because it had so much more potential.

thedawg
05-19-2014, 08:05 AM
I still have this season at a disappointment... not a catastrophic disappointment or a disaster season but we should be hosting... Following up a national runner up season with what he had returning we should have hosted.

maroonmania
05-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Players make plays. But Cohen has successfully made chicken salad out of chicken shit this season. The only reason folk feel disappointed is because a lot were expected filet mignon. But the individual that deserve a ton of credit for this season is butch Thompson. With all the injury issues we were able to piece together quite a few successful weekends and Lord knows it wasn't thanks to our offense. Hopefully we can UCLA our way to a super and then who the heck knows.

As for ole miss...who gives a shit. What they do is irrelevant to us at this point. It's gonna be funny to see how many folks call for Bianco's firing if they don't make Omaha when he far exceeded a lot of expectations this season.

Well the chicken shit is almost 100% on Cohen. He is FULLY responsible for our offense and is the primary hitting coach yet our offense flat out sucks. He's got to nobody to blame but himself. Whether we have not recruited enough talented hitters OR our hitters haven't been developed properly, either way, its pretty much all on Cohen.

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Well the chicken shit is almost 100% on Cohen. He is FULLY responsible for our offense and is the primary hitting coach yet our offense flat out sucks. He's got to nobody to blame but himself. Whether we have not recruited enough talented hitters OR our hitters haven't been developed properly, either way, its pretty much all on Cohen.

You and thedawg are correct, it is on Cohen. But damn, how much more can he do? At some point you have to blame Rea, Detz and Woodruff. Cohen recruited them, put them in position to succeed, and they didn't follow through. What else can you ask? Are you telling me that he should NOT have recruited those 3 guys?

Even still, all you can ask is that the players give their all. They may have done that, and regressed due to other factors. I still personally believe their was a little arrogance involved, most of it probably coming from last year's benchwarmers like Garner and the Canadians. I hope this season taught them all a powerful lesson.

thedawg
05-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Its hard for me to put our failures on Cohen. I get that ultimately the buck stops with him but still... What can he do about Detz and Rea shitting the bed? If they dont and they both him .325 as they should have we win the west even with four season ending injuries to pitchers.

Furthermore the pitching injuries are just bad luck and part of baseball. Its hard to blame Cohen for four season enders. Additionally Woodruff finally appears to be back from injury. So if you count him its five pitchers that have been significantly or completely hampered with injury this season. Even still we pitched it well enough to host and/or win the west with any amount of hitting.

Johnson85
05-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Every time I see a State fan find a way to cry about UM's success in the midst of our own, I know their collective ego grows a little bit more. I just don't get the obsession.

It makes sense in football, where even with the run the SEC is on and the boost that gives to recruiting, it's difficult for MSU and UM to have sustained success at the same time. But it seems like we have a lot more options in baseball and it's much less of a zero sum game. I guess it'd be helpful for UM to be a non-factor, but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal and I'm not going to care if they go to Omaha for the first time in decades when we just finished 2nd the year before and (presumably) got a #2 seed in a season where lots of things didn't go right for us.

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 10:51 AM
It makes sense in football, where even with the run the SEC is on and the boost that gives to recruiting, it's difficult for MSU and UM to have sustained success at the same time. But it seems like we have a lot more options in baseball and it's much less of a zero sum game. I guess it'd be helpful for UM to be a non-factor, but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal and I'm not going to care if they go to Omaha for the first time in decades when we just finished 2nd the year before and (presumably) got a #2 seed in a season where lots of things didn't go right for us.

You guys obviously don't get this.

Ole Miss could possibly win the whole damn thing. They have 2 excellent starting pitchers, which is all you need when you get there. They have some good bullpen guys. Now, you could argue that they aren't built for Omaha because a lot of their homers will be lazy fly balls up there, at least this year. The road to Omaha very well could go through Oxford, where they are very strong. They've also played and won a bunch of close games this year, which better prepares you for pressure situations. Senior laden. MSU fans don't seem to want to acknowledge this, instead opting to call me a typical Moo U fan with an inferiority complex. BS, I'm looking at reality.

If Ole Miss won a national title, that would be absolutely devastating for MSU baseball. The only way we could recover would be to win a title ourselves and that's never guaranteed to happen, no matter how much talent we amass.

thedawg
05-19-2014, 10:55 AM
They arnt gonna win it... bet a million... now they may make it to Omaha which will be mildly irritating because it will take away my easiest and most used torture statement.

maroonmania
05-19-2014, 02:06 PM
You and thedawg are correct, it is on Cohen. But damn, how much more can he do? At some point you have to blame Rea, Detz and Woodruff. Cohen recruited them, put them in position to succeed, and they didn't follow through. What else can you ask? Are you telling me that he should NOT have recruited those 3 guys?

Even still, all you can ask is that the players give their all. They may have done that, and regressed due to other factors. I still personally believe their was a little arrogance involved, most of it probably coming from last year's benchwarmers like Garner and the Canadians. I hope this season taught them all a powerful lesson.

I don't know but if we had that number of pitchers that regressed from last year and NO other pitchers really stepping up, this board would not be a fun place for Butch Thompson to visit. But our pitching is still strong even with injuries to Cox, Shelly, Young and Brown. We had no such injuries in the lineup which makes it even worse. Really nothing to blame the lack of offensive production on other than just a poor approach at the plate and poor execution from guys that we thought COULD get the job done. If it was just one guy I really wouldn't blame Cohen so much but since it was pervasive across the team then Cohen has to take a large share of the blame. Lots of guys regressed, very few improved.

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Lots of guys regressed, very few improved.

Brett Pirtle - improved
C.T. Bradford - stayed the same
Wes Rea - regressed
Alex Detz - regressed
Demarcus Henderson - stayed the same
Jacob Robson - regressed (but didn't play enough to matter)
Kyle Hann - stayed the same (haven't seen much of him)
Matthew Britton - improved
Cody Brown - redshirted, contributed
Daniel Garner - redshirted, contributed

Those are all the guys who played a part this year, who were on the team last year. Really looks like a zero sum game to me. While no we didn't improve, we didn't go backwards either. We weren't as good as 2013 because duh we lost Frazier and Renfroe. But we were better than 2012 overall. It's not as bad as you say.

Again, the big hole is Rea and Detz. Just stay the same, and we're probably hosting. It was absolutely not pervasive across the team as you are trying to portray.

maroonmania
05-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Really the only guy that stepped up from last year was Derrick Armstrong but he fell off big time the last month of the season. Pirtle may have slightly improved but he hit really well the last 2/3rds of the season last year so he more or less just equalled his production from last year (minus the bad start he got off to last year). So, you are right, in that we lost the production from Frazier and Renfroe and nobody else really stepped forward and 2 of our most relied on hitters took majors steps back. Also, Robson was a total non-factor this year and he actually helped us some last year. Britton didn't play enough last year to have any relative comparison and struggled most of this year but at least he has heated up at the same time Armstrong has fallen off the map.

Goat Holder
05-19-2014, 03:19 PM
It does suck, because I think most people thought Robson would take a step forward and be a solid, tough out in the lineup. I thought the OF starters would be Robson - Bradford - Henderson all year long. Just never know what these guys will do. Cody Brown has more than filled the gap of Robson though.

ClancyDawg
05-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Alex Detz BABIP

2013- .381
2014 - .277

Doesn't explain everything, but just something to think about. He was bound to regress, his regression was a little more than wanted.