PDA

View Full Version : Tony LaRussa hired by the Diamondbacks

Todd4State
05-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I think that's interesting because he is in charge of personnel and their manager is Kirk Gibson. The reason that's interesting to me is because Gibson hit his famous home run off of LaRussa's A's team in 1988- and now Tony is probably going to get to fire him. Payback is a bitch.

Gibson has been criticized a lot for his strategy, and I think he is basically going to be a dead man walking.

I don't know if LaRussa will manage the Diamondbacks or not- but if he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if he hires Mark McGwire to replace Gibson. Or at the very least tries to hire him.

Dawg61
05-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Thing I found interesting is that he has final say on all personnel moves so he's above the GM in the pecking order. Is that normal?

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Thing I found interesting is that he has final say on all personnel moves so he's above the GM in the pecking order. Is that normal?

No, it isn't normal and the GM should resign for an owner doing that him. Diamondback's GM Kevin Towers is only in his 4th season. The full impact of a GM really can't be felt till year 5 or 6.

I am constantly amazed how owners that make ridiculous moves actually ever made enough money to become owners in the first place.

Tony LaRussa may turn out to be good in this role, but being an on field manager is a very very very different job than over seeing scouting and player development. Managers think about today and next week. GMs think about next year, and 3 to 5 years down the road.

Todd4State
05-19-2014, 01:30 AM
No, it isn't normal and the GM should resign for an owner doing that him. Diamondback's GM Kevin Towers is only in his 4th season. The full impact of a GM really can't be felt till year 5 or 6.

I am constantly amazed how owners that make ridiculous moves actually ever made enough money to become owners in the first place.

Tony LaRussa may turn out to be good in this role, but being an on field manager is a very very very different job than over seeing scouting and player development. Managers think about today and next week. GMs think about next year, and 3 to 5 years down the road.

I'm interested to see what LaRussa's intent is. Is he going to get back into managing? Maybe manage and be the GM? Maybe be the GM?

Dave Duncan is a pitching consultant with the Diamondbacks as well. It appears as if things are lining up for a potential return next season. I'm not convinced that LaRussa is going to stay in his current role.

dawgs
05-19-2014, 02:57 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure how much blame Gibson should get. The dbacks have been trading high ceiling prospects/young players with lots of team control years ahead of them for cents on the dollar for several years now. Upton, Bauer, Staggs, adam eaton, Jarrod Parker. Obviously it'll be years before we know the outcomes of these deals, but all those guys should have brought back more than mid-tier MLB guys and prospects universally considered to have lower ceilings.