PDA

View Full Version : whose on the bump tues?

preachermatt83
05-18-2014, 04:42 PM
It's a must win. Single elimination game. Ross only threw 70 pitches Friday so he could throw again on 4 days rest I would think.. or do we go laster? I just remember what Uga did to us in our first game of that series. I think I would give Laster a shot. Lingo only threw like 30 pitches this weekend so he should be ready to roll at first sign of trouble.

Harrydawg
05-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Gotta be Fitz......

msstate7
05-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Think it's laster

Bark
05-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Pretty sure it's Laster. I think Brown goes Wednesday if we win.

CadaverDawg
05-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Laster on Tues

Fitts on Wed

Ross Thursday (but we'll be home by Thursday and I'm ok with that)

I'd prefer we do something like I mentioned in the other thread..

Here's an idea...

Tell Laster, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Preston Brown, and Myles Gentry, that the SECT is their baby and they will be the only ones pitching. Let Butch create a rotation and piggy back situation with those guys, and see what happens. Would be a good way to get some young inexperienced guys some valuable experience, and to test them for who is ready to rise up.

At the same time, have a meeting with all the hitters and tell them that the SECT is on them, and that we are not pitching our usual starters so it is up to them to score enough runs to get wins.

Challenge both groups, and let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime our starters and Lingo/Holder/Bracewell get some rest.

Maybe a dumb idea, but just a thought

msstate7
05-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Laster on Tues

Fitts on Wed

Here's an idea...

Tell Laster, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Preston Brown, and Myles Gentry, that the SECT is their baby and they will be the only ones pitching. Let Butch create a rotation and piggy back situation with those guys, and see what happens. Would be a good way to get some young inexperienced guys some valuable experience, and to test them for who is ready to rise up.

At the same time, have a meeting with all the hitters and tell them that the SECT is on them, and that we are not pitching our usual starters so it is up to them to score enough runs to get wins.

Challenge both groups, and let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime our starters and Lingo/Holder/Bracewell get some rest.

If we win tues, isn't it double elimination starting wed?

MetEdDawg
05-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I've got to think Laster on Tuesday with a Lindgren kicker. We need to win this game. Get past this then I don't care what happens, But I'll continue.

Wednesday would be Fitts.

Thursday I think we would pitch Brown whether or not we are facing elimination. Have to think we would tag team him with Bracewell and potentially bring Lindgren back after Bracewell is done. That way we have Ross available to pitch Friday or Saturday if we get that far and depending upon whether or not we get a bye on Friday.

Get to the weekend then all hell breaks loose and there is no telling what happens. Woody would be in the discussion, Tatum would be in the discussion, Sexton would be in the discussion. Anything past Friday should be considered bonus and we should approach it that way with starting pitching. No need to run any weekend or regional starters out Saturday or Sunday on short rest from pitching in the early games of the tournament.

CadaverDawg
05-18-2014, 05:13 PM
If we win tues, isn't it double elimination starting wed?

Yea, guess you're right. We'll be home by Friday...hopefully. I either want to win it, or get the hell out of there and rest. We 're a 2 seed regardless IMO, and I don't think we have the bats to out score Florida or even OM when pitching gets thin in the last few rounds

CadaverDawg
05-18-2014, 05:14 PM
I've got to think Laster on Tuesday with a Lindgren kicker. We need to win this game. Get past this then I don't care what happens, But I'll continue.

Wednesday would be Fitts.

Thursday I think we would pitch Brown whether or not we are facing elimination. That way we have Ross to pitch Friday or Saturday, depending upon whether or not we get a bye on Friday.

Get to the weekend then all hell breaks loose and there is no telling what happens. Woody would be in the discussion, Tatum would be in the discussion, Sexton would be in the discussion. Anything past Friday should be considered bonus and we should approach it that way with starting pitching. No need to run any weekend or regional starters out Saturday or Sunday on short rest from pitching in the early games of the tournament.

Yea, I could see this.

Todd4State
05-18-2014, 05:49 PM
I hope we shut Preston Brown down. I could see Bracewell starting though. And maybe Woodruff.

Todd4State
05-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Game 1- Laster

Game 2- Fitts

Game 3- Ross

Game 4- Bracewell

Game 5- Laster

bgdog
05-18-2014, 06:33 PM
It's a must win.

Why is it a must win?

CadaverDawg
05-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Why is it a must win?

Good question. This is not a must win.

ClancyDawg
05-18-2014, 06:59 PM
We don't need to completely rest everyone. Two weeks off is a while. Lets play to win this thing. Granted we shouldn't overextend anyone trying to but another tourney championship would be nice and outside shot give us a host.

Coach34
05-18-2014, 07:03 PM
This is not must-win. All the SEC Tourney will do is decide what Regional we will be flying to.

Laster
Fitts
Mitchell
Woody

I wouldnt pitch Brown unless I just didnt have anybody left

Harrydawg
05-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Like I said, Laster is a no brainer

MetEdDawg
05-18-2014, 07:22 PM
There are three stages to this tournament.

Stage 1: Single elimination on Tuesday. Honestly I want us to win this game. Gives us the opportunity to get Fitts and Ross a regular week's work on Wednesday and Thursday. Don't need a long week and a half off. Need rhythm and getting to Friday gives us that.

Stage 2: Double elimination Wednesday through Friday. I would not want us to make it past this point. This gives us an RPI boost because we should be playing good teams. Might get us a little bit more favorable positioning in a regional with a higher RPI.

Stage 3: Saturday and Sunday. We don't want to get here. Too much playing with the potential of having to play 6 days in a row. Just don't want us to get to that point even though it would be cool and we could get some young pitchers some very good experience in pressure games because I doubt we would throw anyone relevant except maybe Holder and Lindgren.

I just don't like one and dones and as a 5 seed I would want us to at least make it to the end of the week. We are a respectable program and we need to set expectations as such. Screw being a 2 seed whether we lose day 1 or win the tournament. We need to expect wins in one game scenarios against a team like Georgia regardless of our seeding situation.

jbjones
05-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Laster on Tues

Fitts on Wed

Here's an idea...

I agree with you. That's a pretty good attack plan.

State82
05-18-2014, 07:56 PM
There are three stages to this tournament.

Stage 1: Single elimination on Tuesday. Honestly I want us to win this game. Gives us the opportunity to get Fitts and Ross a regular week's work on Wednesday and Thursday. Don't need a long week and a half off. Need rhythm and getting to Friday gives us that.

Stage 2: Double elimination Wednesday through Friday. I would not want us to make it past this point. This gives us an RPI boost because we should be playing good teams. Might get us a little bit more favorable positioning in a regional with a higher RPI.

Stage 3: Saturday and Sunday. We don't want to get here. Too much playing with the potential of having to play 6 days in a row. Just don't want us to get to that point even though it would be cool and we could get some young pitchers some very good experience in pressure games because I doubt we would throw anyone relevant except maybe Holder and Lindgren.

I just don't like one and dones and as a 5 seed I would want us to at least make it to the end of the week. We are a respectable program and we need to set expectations as such. Screw being a 2 seed whether we lose day 1 or win the tournament. We need to expect wins in one game scenarios against a team like Georgia regardless of our seeding situation.

I'm in 100% agreement with this.

State82
05-18-2014, 08:01 PM
It's a must win. Single elimination game. Ross only threw 70 pitches Friday so he could throw again on 4 days rest I would think.. or do we go laster? I just remember what Uga did to us in our first game of that series. I think I would give Laster a shot. Lingo only threw like 30 pitches this weekend so he should be ready to roll at first sign of trouble.

Cohen said in postgame yesterday he was almost certain it would be Laster. Nothing about this next week is must win though. It is strictly practice and getting work for some younger guys that badly need it. No pressure at all.

blacklistedbully
05-18-2014, 08:42 PM
This is not must-win. All the SEC Tourney will do is decide what Regional we will be flying to.

Laster
Fitts
Mitchell
Woody

I wouldnt pitch Brown unless I just didnt have anybody left

Do you really think, even if we won the SECT, we would have no shot whatsoever of moving into one of the last hosting spots? Keep in mind, some expected hosts could lay an egg in their own tournaments as well.

DawgSaint
05-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Do you really think, even if we won the SECT, we would have no shot whatsoever of moving into one of the last hosting spots? Keep in mind, some expected hosts could lay an egg in their own tournaments as well.

Winning tourney would at least get us back in discussion. However, even that assumes the league would get 5 host sites. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

State82
05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Winning tourney would at least get us back in discussion. However, even that assumes the league would get 5 host sites. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I think the host sites are decided before the tourney finishes up. That ship has already sailed anyway.

Lefthandersrule
05-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Laster on Tues

Fitts on Wed

Here's an idea...

Absolutely love this!

MarketingBully01
05-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Laster on Tues

Fitts on Wed

Here's an idea...

Like your creative thinking and thought you put into it but I am not a big fan overall. I think we will go deep in the tournament like we have done the previous two years because I think Cohen does stress importance in this tournament. I think we could sneak into that last hosting slot if two things happen A) if LSU goes two and Q which could happen since they will likely start with Vanderbilt a team they struggle against and B) we beat USC and Florida two teams with high RPIs to steal that fifth spot from LSU. I think we have a good chance against both USC and Florida as we will likely pitch Mitchell against Florida on Thursday for the Saturday Semi-final slot. We may very well play Florida twice which if we beat them twice will most suredly bump our RPI quite a bit. I think the resting arms crap is crap since the regionals won't start until a week from this coming Friday. I think we have just as good a chance of going deep in this thing as anyone else because our pitching staff is about as deep as anyone else's in the SEC tournament. Cohen knows what it takes to win these things so my guess is we AT LEAST make it to Saturday like we did last year. I am thinking that the toughest game in these things is always the first but we have a pitching staff that will keep us in any game we play.

MarketingBully01
05-18-2014, 09:12 PM
I think the host sites are decided before the tourney finishes up. That ship has already sailed anyway.

On the contrary, I think they will not be decided until Friday or Saturday and if we can win games against USC and Florida I think we can still have a shot.

MarketingBully01
05-18-2014, 09:14 PM

RPI is a part of the overall make up but if we also have a favorable record over our last 15 that also plays a factor. They are rewarding teams who come in hot this year. Not sure if they looked at this heavily in years past.

CadaverDawg
05-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Like your creative thinking and thought you put into it but I am not a big fan overall. I think we will go deep in the tournament like we have done the previous two years because I think Cohen does stress importance in this tournament. I think we could sneak into that last hosting slot if two things happen A) if LSU goes two and Q which could happen since they will likely start with Vanderbilt a team they struggle against and B) we beat USC and Florida two teams with high RPIs to steal that fifth spot from LSU. I think we have a good chance against both USC and Florida as we will likely pitch Mitchell against Florida on Thursday for the Saturday Semi-final slot. We may very well play Florida twice which if we beat them twice will most suredly bump our RPI quite a bit. I think the resting arms crap is crap since the regionals won't start until a week from this coming Friday. I think we have just as good a chance of going deep in this thing as anyone else because our pitching staff is about as deep as anyone else's in the SEC tournament. Cohen knows what it takes to win these things so my guess is we AT LEAST make it to Saturday like we did last year. I am thinking that the toughest game in these things is always the first but we have a pitching staff that will keep us in any game we play.

"At least making it to Saturday" still means we don't host, so again, what's the point. We are not hosting even if we win the thing, so you're wasting breath IMO. And resting arms is not "crap". Not when we have to rely on our arms to basically shut out our opponent to hope for a 1-0 victory. But by all means, let's throw the kitchen sink and our best arms at a pipe dream chance of hosting and right in to Regionals.

You're the very guy that says every game that we can't score...yet now you say resting our best arms is "crap". If anybody would agree I figured it would be you.

And I agree that 2 weeks is a lot of time...but it's not like they would be sitting around drinking beer and eating chips for 2 weeks. They can still do their routine just with bullpens. And I'm not saying it's fool proof...just a thought.

But I respect your opinion.

State82
05-18-2014, 09:31 PM
On the contrary, I think they will not be decided until Friday or Saturday and if we can win games against USC and Florida I think we can still have a shot.

That's what I mean. By the time the tourney winner is decided the host spots will already be determined. The posts above were mentioning being back in the host discussion if we WON the tourney. Too late.

preachermatt83
05-19-2014, 12:30 AM
allow me to clarify, I meant "Must Win" in the sense that it is an elimination game. When I say must win there I just meant if we don't win that one we go home is all and I don't like the thought of being one and done as it is a confidence killer. I should have clarified better .

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 07:35 AM
I understand the logic behind those of y'all who don't want us to go the whole tourney. There are logical reasons and it really probably doesn't benefit us that much to make a deep run. With that said though, I just have a hard time conditioning my mind to want to lose. I just can't. It's more like I want to win it but if we don't it's no big deal and we get more rest anyway. I would LOVE for our staff to take the approach Cadaver has mentioned in a couple of threads.

War Machine Dawg
05-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Who is on First.

TheRef
05-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Who is on First.

What's on second?

BulldogBear
05-19-2014, 10:10 AM
ACC had an interesting tourney format last year. I think they take the top 8 and split into 2 "divisions" seeded 1-8 in some kind of formula based on reg season. Those two "divisions" play a 3 game round robin. Then the two winners play champ game. Everybody plays 3 but no more than 4. You could start Tue and wrap up Friday. Or Wed-Sat. 8 might be 2 few for a 14 school league but then you could also look at like those after the 8th spot that will still get in NCAA get more rest...they need it more. Seriously though, in this league, the chances someone that's not already gonna get in the NCAA wins the auto bid are slim to none. Georgia is not gonna win 6 SEC tourney games. So, in a way, what's the point? It can allow for a few more good wins. It can allow for a team to grab some mojo prior to regionals. But really, I'd almost rather see some sort of format like ACC did last year so almost just like playing another series.

War Machine Dawg
05-19-2014, 12:58 PM
What's on second?

I Don't Know is on third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

CadaverDawg
05-19-2014, 01:03 PM
I understand the logic behind those of y'all who don't want us to go the whole tourney. There are logical reasons and it really probably doesn't benefit us that much to make a deep run. With that said though, I just have a hard time conditioning my mind to want to lose. I just can't. It's more like I want to win it but if we don't it's no big deal and we get more rest anyway. I would LOVE for our staff to take the approach Cadaver has mentioned in a couple of threads.

I agree. I say that I don't want us to push our staff on short days rest, but at the end of the day, if we get to Friday... I'll be wanting us to win the dang thing. Ha,we're fans first after all.

blacklistedbully
05-19-2014, 01:10 PM
That's what I mean. By the time the tourney winner is decided the host spots will already be determined. The posts above were mentioning being back in the host discussion if we WON the tourney. Too late.

I thought they changed that recently, even referring to it as the "Mississippi State rule" as we got shafted one year when we won it.

ETA, just looked it up. Selection Show is now the Monday following the conclusion of the tourney.

blacklistedbully
05-19-2014, 01:26 PM
If we made a run, we could conceivably finish with wins over UGA, SCar, UF x 2, and OM or LSU. That would include 4 straight wins over Top 15 programs. Is it really unlikely that wouldn't sway the selection committee to reward us with a host site?

drunkernhelldawg
05-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Wanna win but not gonna get too upset if we don't. Single elimination puts a huge premium on luck. That's baseball.