PDA

View Full Version : So, by my calculations, it's us versus Georgia in our SECT opener.

blacklistedbully
05-17-2014, 07:16 PM
MSu versus UGA
Vandy vs UT
Arky vs TAMU
Bama vs UK

blacklistedbully
05-17-2014, 07:19 PM
And if we beat UGA, we get SCar next.

cbrunt29
05-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Laster likely pitching vs. UGA

CadaverDawg
05-17-2014, 07:51 PM
We could make a run the way our staff has pitched lately. Gotta get through SC's ace, and then it's anybody's tourney

msstate7
05-17-2014, 07:53 PM
We could make a run the way our staff has pitched lately. Gotta get through SC's ace, and then it's anybody's tourney

So fitts wed if we win?

CadaverDawg
05-17-2014, 08:00 PM
So fitts wed if we win?

Yea, gotta go Laster, Fitts, Ross IMO first 3 games. I wouldn't push our starters or even Lingo and Holder...we're a 2 seed regardless, and chances aren't great that we win the SECT

Saltydog
05-17-2014, 08:32 PM
nt

MarketingBully01
05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
If they go with their fastball pithing freshman, we will clobber him. Hopefully they go with their ace which is that freshman.

maroonmania
05-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Now that we don't have the bye I'm fine to go out of the SEC tourney quickly. Its almost impossible to win the tourney without the bye and if you do, like we did a couple of years ago, we were TOTALLY shot during regional play. We really did what we needed to do in Tuscaloosa but Vandy and Auburn really screwed us over.

whosyourdawgy
05-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Hell, Preston Brown should be available to pitch again after his craptastic performance today.

State82
05-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Now that we don't have the bye I'm fine to go out of the SEC tourney quickly. Its almost impossible to win the tourney without the bye and if you do, like we did a couple of years ago, we were TOTALLY shot during regional play. We really did what we needed to do in Tuscaloosa but Vandy and Auburn really screwed us over.

Ditto. Even with a bye I really was not interested in making a deep run in Hoover. It just has no real significance. Sure, we have some pitchers that could use some work and no doubt everybody on the team needs at bats. But there is no advantage in making a 4-5 game run the week before the real tourney starts. I would like to win Tue night and I realize that means at least 2 more games but I'm not too worried about anything further.

CadaverDawg
05-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Ditto. Even with a bye I really was not interested in making a deep run in Hoover. It just has no real significance. Sure, we have some pitchers that could use some work and no doubt everybody on the team needs at bats. But there is no advantage in making a 4-5 game run the week before the real tourney starts. I would like to win Tue night and I realize that means at least 2 more games but I'm not too worried about anything further.

Here's an idea...

Tell Laster, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Preston Brown, and Myles Gentry, that the SECT is their baby and they will be the only ones pitching. Let Butch create a rotation and piggy back situation with those guys, and see what happens. Would be a good way to get some young inexperienced guys some valuable experience, and to test them for who is ready to rise up.

At the same time, have a meeting with all the hitters and tell them that the SECT is on them, and that we are not pitching our usual starters so it is up to them to score enough runs to get wins.

Challenge both groups, and let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime our starters and Lingo/Holder/Bracewell get some rest.

Maybe a dumb idea, but just a thought

State82
05-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Here's an idea...

Tell Laster, Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Preston Brown, and Myles Gentry, that the SECT is their baby and they will be the only ones pitching. Let Butch create a rotation and piggy back situation with those guys, and see what happens. Would be a good way to get some young inexperienced guys some valuable experience, and to test them for who is ready to rise up.

At the same time, have a meeting with all the hitters and tell them that the SECT is on them, and that we are not pitching our usual starters so it is up to them to score enough runs to get wins.

Challenge both groups, and let the chips fall where they may. In the meantime our starters and Lingo/Holder/Bracewell get some rest.

Exactly what I would do.

Todd4State
05-17-2014, 10:51 PM
First of all, I hate the SEC baseball tournament. Except when we win it. It's fun to win it, but the joy doesn't really last that long because you have to play your regional and in the end it doesn't really mean much.

Second of all, I hate it because it's basically a money making racket for the SEC.

Thirdly, it's a good way to burn out your staff on a meaningless tournament. Just in time for the regionals.

If the SEC did away with the SEC baseball tournament, I would be totally fine with that.

Todd4State
05-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Here's an idea...

I don't think it's a dumb idea at all. It's crazy enough it might just work.

blacklistedbully
05-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Here's an idea...

I like it.

BulldogBear
05-18-2014, 01:04 PM
+1K CD

Todd4State
05-18-2014, 02:44 PM
And Cadaveor let me add this- I wish all SEC teams would do what you are suggesting to make the SEC Tournament into a farce.

The format is horrible- and the whole tournament in a money making racket. And on top of that, they refuse to move it from Hoover. Heck, the Hoover Met isn't even the nicest ballpark in Birmingham anymore.

They need to move to Autozone Park. Tell the LSU fans that live in RV's to find an RV park in Memphis and to be happy with all of the other perks that they are given. And then they need to probably make the tournament single elimination so that people don't gut their pitching staffs to win the thing. It doesn't make any sense to make the first day single elimination, then go to double elimination, then go back to single elimination.

MzTerry
05-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Regions Park is badass and has room for RVs. Hopefully when the "non-compete clause" (quotes bc they don't call it that but it's essentially what it is) is up they will move it downtown. It would be an awesome experience.

BulldogBear
05-18-2014, 03:21 PM
And Cadaveor let me add this- I wish all SEC teams would do what you are suggesting to make the SEC Tournament into a farce.

The format is horrible- and the whole tournament in a money making racket. And on top of that, they refuse to move it from Hoover. Heck, the Hoover Met isn't even the nicest ballpark in Birmingham anymore.

They need to move to Autozone Park. Tell the LSU fans that live in RV's to find an RV park in Memphis and to be happy with all of the other perks that they are given. And then they need to probably make the tournament single elimination so that people don't gut their pitching staffs to win the thing. It doesn't make any sense to make the first day single elimination, then go to double elimination, then go back to single elimination.

Softball does single elimination. Start with 12 (maybe) on Wednesday and you're done on Saturday