PDA

View Full Version : The Preacher's Ponderings...(QB EDITION)

preachermatt83
05-17-2014, 02:16 PM
First of all I would like to say that is we can keep Virgil and end up signing Pass for the 2016 class then we would have an absolutely wonderful problem at the QB position. I am going to work with the position that we do just that. Many of you will disagree with the things that I am about to post but here is how I see things...

1) I do not see Williams ever being a Starter at MSU... Here is why...
- I honestly believe many are underestimating how good Staley is.
- Staley, IMO, will be the heir to the starting Job in 2016 after Dak is gone

2) I do not see Fitz ever being more than a 3rd string QB... Here is why..
- He will never pass Staley
- Well, when Staley is starting then wouldn't Fitz be the backup in 2016? Nope, Williams will still be here and so will Pass, who has the potential to be something amazing. Guess who else will be here.. that's right Virgil... SO Fitz gets lost in the depth chart.

3) Here is how I see the depth chart looking..

2014:
1) Dak(JR)
2) Williams(SOPH)
3) Fitz(FR) (Only BC I believe Staley will RS)

2015:
1) Dak(SR)
2) Williams(JR)
3) Staley(RFr)/Fitz(Soph) battle for that 3rd spot... Fitz as a Soph and Staley as a RS Frosh

2016:
1) Staley(Soph).. beats out Virgil and Williams in a heated QB battle
2) Williams(SR)
3) Virgil(RFr)

2017:
1) Staley(JR)
2) Pass(RFr)
3) Virgil(Soph)

I personally believe that if we sign both Virgil and Pass that the future of our QB position is Staley and Pass.. Don't think Virgil would ever start ahead of a guy like Pass.. He would be the best QB MSU has ever signed by a LONG ways..

Disclaimer*- I am well aware that this far out all this is merely speculation and poor speculation at that. A lot of things I am taking for granted here. First that we sign both Virgil and Pass and also that there are no serious injuries. Also taking for granted that Mullen remains our coach as well as taking for granted that each of these players progress they way we think they will. Just thought it would be fun to give some idea of kind of what the future looks like and any way you slice it , it looks VERY PROMISING.. Oh and after Staley is gone I look for Pass to become a Heisman winning QB and win a National Championship at MSU! :)

thedawg
05-17-2014, 02:39 PM
I think you are underestimating Fitz.. Not that I am not a big Staley fan.. Alot of it will depend on Staley and basketball... Fitz is too good IMO for Staley to play basketball and stay ahead of him. I think it will be a battle and however it works out will be great for the Bulldogs

BeastMan
05-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Great competition breeds good results on the field. Only way to have great competition is to have talent stocked at that position. That is what has happened at MSU and this fall will be the first time in my lifetime MSU has 4 talented signal callers at once. When the position gets stacked like that, it doesn't really matter who wins out because you know whoever it ends up being earned it.

I do want to add that I like that you haven't forgotten about Staley. We are all pleased with how Fitzgerald came in early and has surpassed the early expectations for him. In MSU fan's excitement over that, it cannot be forgotten that Staley is the most talented signal caller MSU has ever signed. He has a higher ceiling than any QB ever at MSU. We'll have to see if he develops but 6'7 230 lefty, canon-armed, athletic, 18 year-olds do not grow on trees. Staley will be as good as he wants to be with the potential to be elite (key word potential).

smootness
05-17-2014, 02:40 PM
I enjoy the discussion, and I often speculate about stuff like this myself, but I honestly can't even take a guess as to how these guys develop. I tend to agree that it could be difficult for Williams to ever be the guy, but I could potentially see any of the Fitzgerald/Staley/Virgil/Pass group becoming big-time QBs. In the same way no A&M fans would have picked Manziel to even start over some of the bigger names they had at QB, I can't say who will or won't become something special.

They all have parts of their game that are very impressive. It's absolutely looking great for us, to know that whoever becomes the guy in the future will more than likely be very good in order to have won the job.

BeastMan
05-17-2014, 02:40 PM
I think it will be a battle and however it works out will be great for the Bulldogs

At the end of the day, this is all that matters

preachermatt83
05-17-2014, 03:14 PM
its def hard not to get excited when looking at the future, especially at the QB position!

maroonmania
05-17-2014, 03:54 PM
delete

Dawgface
05-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Best man wins the job. Doesn't matter to me who it might be. But with all those good qb's, someone will eventually transfer. But that's the way it works anywhere.

maroonmania
05-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Another factor is injury. That is why you need to have at least 2 high quality SEC QBs available, something we have rarely ever had. We run our QB a good bit and just like last year with Russell and Prescott getting injured you never know when even QB#3 may need to win you a game. I'll be thrilled if we have most any of these guys as our third option.

maroonmania
05-17-2014, 04:14 PM
delete

maroonmania
05-17-2014, 04:16 PM
delete

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Fitzgerald will travel with the team this year and dress out, but will likely redshirt. No sense in taking away snaps from Williams, just to get Fitz 10 snaps on the year.

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2014, 05:09 PM
We have to get some offense today. We knew that coming in. A miracle we won yesterday with 1 run but today we've got to come up with at least 4 or 5 runs if we want to win.

Wrong thread bro

gravedigger
05-17-2014, 06:07 PM
If your prediction was a beach ball and you were standing in the surf throwing it, the ball would end up dry.

Dak is the man. Easy, but he can be injured and has been. What's more our offensive line will do an all American job if he stays healthy.

Fitzgerald is not battl tested and does not need to seethe field this year until we are forced. Neither does staley. That means Williams will get snaps and most probably a start. Even if dak doesn't get hurt, Williams probably needs a start vs iif the situation is ripe. I can think of numerous reasons to.

Staley had issues in high school. Not a prediction for the future, but an indication he will need some acclimation to division one football life and time to get used to college life. He will be 1 year and a half behind Williams and a spring and a summer behind fits in the play book.

Potential never trumps experience. Never ever.

maroonmania
05-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Wrong thread bro

Yep, sorry, got multiple threads open.

1bigdawg
05-17-2014, 07:58 PM
In MSU fan's excitement over that, it cannot be forgotten that Staley is the most talented signal caller MSU has ever signed.

Most of you don't remember Joe Reed, who started for the Detroit Lions, not to mention Jackie Parker.

blacklistedbully
05-17-2014, 08:28 PM
If your prediction was a beach ball and you were standing in the surf throwing it, the ball would end up dry.

Dak is the man. Easy, but he can be injured and has been. What's more our offensive line will do an all American job if he stays healthy.

Fitzgerald is not battl tested and does not need to seethe field this year until we are forced. Neither does staley. That means Williams will get snaps and most probably a start. Even if dak doesn't get hurt, Williams probably needs a start vs iif the situation is ripe. I can think of numerous reasons to.

Staley had issues in high school. Not a prediction for the future, but an indication he will need some acclimation to division one football life and time to get used to college life. He will be 1 year and a half behind Williams and a spring and a summer behind fits in the play book.

Potential never trumps experience. Never ever.

Whether his prediction is correct or not, this statement is ridiculous. It may not be the usual, but there are plenty of cases in sports where "potential trumped experience".

Pollodawg
05-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Went and looked up Jawon Pass. We need to MAKE THIS HAPPEN. If we landed him and his brother plus the QBs that Dan already has in the boat, that's a program changer. Pass could literally be a program changer for us. That's why this season is so pivotal, possibly the most important since Dan has been here.

We have to keep the ball rolling now. We have to prove to these big time kids that you can win here. We badly, badly need to have Dak have a monster game against an LSU or Bama on prime time TV, and show out.

Maroons
05-18-2014, 01:38 PM
1) I do not see Williams ever being a Starter at MSU... Here is why...
- I honestly believe many are underestimating how good Staley is.
- Staley, IMO, will be the heir to the starting Job in 2016 after Dak is gone

2) I do not see Fitz ever being more than a 3rd string QB... Here is why..
- He will never pass Staley

This makes no sense whatsoever. Fitz doesn't have to pass Staley - it's the exact opposite. Fitz effectively has a full year head start on Staley with bowl practices, spring practices, and spring workouts.

Staley may have elite potential, but Fitzgerald will be very, very good, and Staley has a long way to go to catch up.

MSUDawg4Life
05-18-2014, 01:50 PM
When I think about it, the best "quarterback" we've had in my 30 years of being a fan may have been the Wayne Madkin/Matt Wyatt combination. I can see Staley and Fitz being a good combo like that. I'm not sure either one of them has to be The Man in order for both of them and our football team to be very successful.

However, I do agree that Staley has a steep hill to climb if he's going to pass Fitz this summer. Fitz did the right thing by coming in early and he has a sizeable head start.

I believe both guys can be successful though.

Pollodawg
05-18-2014, 02:22 PM
When I think about it, the best "quarterback" we've had in my 30 years of being a fan may have been the Wayne Madkin/Matt Wyatt combination. I can see Staley and Fitz being a good combo like that. I'm not sure either one of them has to be The Man in order for both of them and our football team to be very successful.

However, I do agree that Staley has a steep hill to climb if he's going to pass Fitz this summer. Fitz did the right thing by coming in early and he has a sizeable head start.

I believe both guys can be successful though.

No. Chris Relf was as good as Madkin was. Madkin was 35-36 TD/INT ratio, man. Come on. Dak threw for more yards in his seven starts last season than Wayne did in an entire season......

preachermatt83
05-18-2014, 04:38 PM
No. Chris Relf was as good as Madkin was. Madkin was 35-36 TD/INT ratio, man. Come on. Dak threw for more yards in his seven starts last season than Wayne did in an entire season......

amen.. Russell was better than madkin too.

MSUDawg4Life
05-18-2014, 05:49 PM
I wasn't really talking about individual talent and stats. Just saying the 1-2 punch of Madkin and Wyatt (along with a strong defense) won a lot of games. I think Staley and Fitz can be that same sort of 1-2 punch.

smootness
05-18-2014, 06:12 PM
I wasn't really talking about individual talent and stats. Just saying the 1-2 punch of Madkin and Wyatt (along with a strong defense) won a lot of games. I think Staley and Fitz can be that same sort of 1-2 punch.

We won't need them to be a 1-2 punch. They're very similar.

Pollodawg
05-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Going back to Pass, what are the legit odds he or his brother end up here?

engie
05-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Going back to Pass, what are the legit odds he or his brother end up here?

It's over 20 months before Jawon can sign -- so it's hard to say with any degree of accuracy. It's over 8 months until Khane can sign, but Khane is committing next week -- and 6 of 6 crystal ball predictions on 24/7 have him committing to us.

Alot can change in an instance with coaching changes, etc... and both of those guys have a bunch of really good options... But it would be extremely difficult to be in any better position right now...

Pollodawg
05-18-2014, 07:28 PM
It's over 20 months before Jawon can sign -- so it's hard to say with any degree of accuracy. It's over 8 months until Khane can sign, but Khane is committing next week -- and 6 of 6 crystal ball predictions on 24/7 have him committing to us.

Alot can change in an instance with coaching changes, etc... and both of those guys have a bunch of really good options... But it would be extremely difficult to be in any better position right now...

If we get Khane, I would think--who is worth a scholly in his own right and far from a package deal--that would be put us as close to the driver's seat with Jawon as we could possibly be. Kid's a program changing caliber QB.

preachermatt83
05-19-2014, 12:40 AM
If we get Khane, I would think--who is worth a scholly in his own right and far from a package deal--that would be put us as close to the driver's seat with Jawon as we could possibly be. Kid's a program changing caliber QB.

Absolutely agree!

DawgInMemphis
05-19-2014, 07:48 AM

Two totally different offensive philosophies. You can't really compare the stats... have to go to the eye test in my opinion.

As far as our future at QB, the best man will win the job. I just hope all these young men have the right mindset regarding the battle for the position. Chemistry is so important.