PDA

View Full Version : Picked up Lindy's preseason mag...

smootness
05-17-2014, 02:11 PM
I realize some hate these magazines, but I like to buy them. You have to take them with a grain of salt, but it's interesting to see where national publications have us.

Well, they ranked our DL unit the second-best in the COUNTRY, behind Ohio St., and #1 in the SEC. They also have Chris Jones the #6 DT in the country, Dak the #19 QB, and McKinney the #6 ILB, the highest-ranked non-senior. Interestingly, they don't have Jameon Lewis ranked among WRs, yet have several SEC guys ranked, including Treadwell at 15. Ole Miss also has Wallace at 11 among QBs, Tunsil the #8 OT, RN the #9 DT, Bryant the #6 OLB, and Prewitt the #1 safety. They don't have any of OM's units in the top 10 nationally, though they're ranked 18 and we're 43.

Among SEC teams, here are our unit ranks:
QB - 3
RB - 13
OL - 12
WR - 9

DL - 1
LB - 8
DB - 3

ST - 14

I think their unit ranks are fairly legitimate, except I totally disagree at RB. We're probably underrated at LB, too.

Anyway, I thought it would at least start some discussion. If you have the top DL in the SEC and a good defense overall, along with an emerging big-time QB, you have a shot to make some serious noise.

Coach34
05-17-2014, 02:16 PM
I totally disagree about LB and RB

We're top 10 in RB

McKinney, Bennie Brown, and Wells are a top 5 LB group in the SEC- maybe top 3. McKinney is a top 3 round draft pick- Wells will be drafted, and Brown took the LB job from Skinner last year- who signed as an NFL FA.

starkvegasdawg
No way our RB's are 13th best in the SEC. We have three backs that could make an argument as being starters for multiple sec teams. I say our RB corp is an easy top 5 sec unit.

BulldogBear
I had no idea they'd be out that early. I pre-ordered 2 Phil Steeles and they don't come out till June.

MetEdDawg
05-17-2014, 02:19 PM
I realize some hate these magazines, but I like to buy them. You have to take them with a grain of salt, but it's interesting to see where national publications have us.

Well, they ranked our DL unit the second-best in the COUNTRY, behind Ohio St., and #1 in the SEC. They also have Chris Jones the #6 DT in the country, Dak the #19 QB, and McKinney the #6 ILB, the highest-ranked non-senior. Interestingly, they don't have Jameon Lewis ranked among WRs, yet have several SEC guys ranked, including Treadwell at 15. Ole Miss also has Wallace at 11 among QBs, Tunsil the #8 OT, RN the #9 DT, Bryant the #6 OLB, and Prewitt the #1 safety. They don't have any of OM's units in the top 10 nationally, though they're ranked 18 and we're 43.

Among SEC teams, here are our unit ranks:
QB - 3
RB - 13
OL - 12
WR - 9

DL - 1
LB - 8
DB - 3

ST - 14

I think their unit ranks are fairly legitimate, except I totally disagree at RB. We're probably underrated at LB, too.

Anyway, I thought it would at least start some discussion. If you have the top DL in the SEC and a good defense overall, along with an emerging big-time QB, you have a shot to make some serious noise.

The reason RB is ranked #13 is because of the unknown factor. Obviously we all know about J Rob and how good he will be, but honestly he's an unknown to most who look at the SEC. Perkins got the pub, know he's gone. So we have J Rob, Griffin, Shump, and Aeris. That's very little in terms of big carries, so I can see why that rate us #13. In reality, we will not be there by the end of the year. Too talented a group.

OL is not #12 either. It's just another unknown factor. Where does Malone fit in? How will Clayborn progress? Who plays RT? I think we've got the talent to make those decisions and feel comfortable. But #12 in the SEC? No way.

LB is Top 5 easily. B Mac, Wells, Browns, Harris. Way too much talent to be #8. That's laughable and will be very funny to look back on as the year progresses.

Can't argue with ST. We suck there.

BulldogBear
05-17-2014, 02:21 PM
I usually get Phil Steele's and then 1 or 2 of the others for S&G. But really the others are just appetizers to me till I get Phil Steele's book. Does anybody pick up Mississippi Gridiron? Always seems to barely make it out as HS is starting. I get it for all the high school stuff and haven't paid much attention to how well they do the in state colleges.

CJDAWG85
05-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Where did you get it?

smootness
05-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Where did you get it?

Kroger.i didn't see it when I was in a couple days ago, so it must have just hit the shelves.

Joe Schmedlap
05-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I would like to see our OL improve and get more national recognition. OL play can make good RB's look great. We have some good running backs on the roster.

Air of The Dawg
05-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Gotta love preseason fantasy mags but sometimes they hit the 'nail on the head' sometimes they miss. Lindy's is pretty good.
As far as the QB prediction, you might say, "Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-17-2014, 02:35 PM
I totally disagree about LB and RB

We're top 10 in RB

McKinney, Bennie Brown, and Wells are a top 5 LB group in the SEC- maybe top 3. McKinney is a top 3 round draft pick- Wells will be drafted, and Brown took the LB job from Skinner last year- who signed as an NFL FA.

Mckinney is a top 10 pick on some boards and 1st rounder on almost all.

No way we have second best dl in country.

CJDAWG85
05-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Kroger.i didn't see it when I was in a couple days ago, so it must have just hit the shelves.

Where do you live?

smootness
05-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Where do you live?

Metro Atlanta

BulldogBear
05-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Kroger in Flowood is always good to have a full selection

Coach34
05-17-2014, 02:57 PM
No way we have second best dl in country.

We're close

Smith is a draft pick
Eulls was much better this past season- and likely a FA signee
Jones is an animal
AJ and Brown are both pretty good

CJDAWG85
05-17-2014, 03:21 PM
B&N has it in Ridgleand.

Schultzy
05-17-2014, 08:52 PM
WR and LB are Bs. DL, who would trade with us? Nobody.

MSUDawg4Life
05-17-2014, 09:09 PM
We're close

Smith is a draft pick
Eulls was much better this past season- and likely a FA signee
Jones is an animal
AJ and Brown are both pretty good

I think the key is going to be the depth. How Nick James and that second group performs. If they perform to their potential, then the DL goes from formidable to elite. It's going to be a nasty group regardless.

DawgSaint
05-17-2014, 09:11 PM
I think the key is going to be the depth. How Nick James and that second group performs. If they perform to their potential, then the DL goes from formidable to elite. It's going to be a nasty group regardless.

Anxious to see how well Nick James has progressed. We all know he has the potential to be a beast!