View Full Version : Stole these Virgil highlight tapes from SPS

GreenheadDawg
05-17-2014, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=http://
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MzGwx7vulUw

Pretty damn impressive. Hell of a pick up

smootness
05-17-2014, 10:17 AM
It seems like much of the reason Virgil isn't ranked even higher than he is now is based on two things: his size and his lack of big-time arm strength.

Well, there have been a whole lot of big-time college QBs who, when coming into the NFL draft, were told they were too small and lacked elite arm strength. What did those guys all have in common? They were mobile, made good decisions, and had great accuracy. From what I've read about Virgil, that's basically his scouting report.

I honestly don't get why college recruiting sites evaluate QBs basically the way NFL teams do. 'He isn't 6'4" with a rocket arm'...and how many stud college QBs are? In the NFL, maybe. In college, you need to be able to scramble, not make bad reads, and put the ball where it's supposed to go. As long as Virgil can throw the ball 30-40 yards downfield where he wants to put it, I see no reason he can't be a big-time player for us.

Pollodawg
05-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Looks good. Just needs some weight and muscle mass put on. I just worry if he as the frame for it. He's a pretty spare guy. He has quick, agile feet, tho. That's a plus as far as elusiveness goes. Arm strength may be a little bit of an issue going forward, and he needs to tighten his throwing motion a bit. It's a tad too "loopy" I guess you'd call it. Accuracy looks good tho. Excited to see what Brian Johnson and Dan can do with him.

Pollodawg
05-17-2014, 10:31 AM
It seems like much of the reason Virgil isn't ranked even higher than he is now is based on two things: his size and his lack of big-time arm strength.

Well, there have been a whole lot of big-time college QBs who, when coming into the NFL draft, were told they were too small and lacked elite arm strength. What did those guys all have in common? They were mobile, made good decisions, and had great accuracy. From what I've read about Virgil, that's basically his scouting report.

I honestly don't get why college recruiting sites evaluate QBs basically the way NFL teams do. 'He isn't 6'4" with a rocket arm'...and how many stud college QBs are? In the NFL, maybe. In college, you need to be able to scramble, not make bad reads, and put the ball where it's supposed to go. As long as Virgil can throw the ball 30-40 yards downfield where he wants to put it, I see no reason he can't be a big-time player for us.

I agree with a lot of this, but the arm strength is kind of worrisome because it gives DBs the time to get between his pass and the wideout. But a lot of that can be offset with his quick feet and solid decision making. On the whole, I would way rather have an accurate QB than one with a rocket arm that can't hit water falling out of a boat. But I would love both, if it were available. lol

engie
05-17-2014, 10:39 AM
The 4 QBs on roster had a total of 10 BCS offers combined -- a couple of which were probably uncommittable.

Virgil has 9 BCS offers 9 months before NSD and prior to the start of his summer camp circuit.

Just to put it into perspective...

msstate7
05-17-2014, 10:54 AM
The 4 QBs on roster had a total of 10 BCS offers combined -- a couple of which were probably uncommittable.

Virgil has 9 BCS offers 9 months before NSD and prior to the start of his summer camp circuit.

Nice.

Pollodawg
05-17-2014, 10:58 AM

What do you think about the arm strength thing smoot and I were discussing? Obviously all of those teams see something in the kid.

engie
05-17-2014, 11:08 AM
What do you think about the arm strength thing smoot and I were discussing? Obviously all of those teams see something in the kid.

Too early to tell about that stuff with him.

He hasn't grown into his body yet. Arm strength can be cultivated at the collegiate level -- especially among kids that have that kind of growing to do. He'll probably put on 40 lbs of muscle at MSU. He seems like a much more highly-recruited version of Russell Wilson coming out of highschool. Obviously, it's unfair to assume his ceiling will be anything like Wilson, but I'm talking strictly at this snapshot in time vs the equal snapshot of time with Wilson, who was mostly unrecruited for football...

GreenheadDawg
05-17-2014, 11:26 AM
I agree he may not have a rocket for an arm but he seems to have good timing on his passes which can make up for lack of arm strength. He is very mobile and has great athleticism. Best QB situation at State, im going to say EVER.

Pollodawg
05-17-2014, 11:47 AM
I agree he may not have a rocket for an arm but he seems to have good timing on his passes which can make up for lack of arm strength. He is very mobile and has great athleticism. Best QB situation at State, im going to say EVER.

Without a doubt. This is possibly the best we've been since anybody on this board can remember. People point to the 90s. Those years were great, but this is now. You can't compete for a conference championship at 8-5 now. This will be the best years to be a State fan since the forties. We have a QB that is a darkhorse for the highest honor in football, and is still as down-to-earth as he can possibly be. He brings back all of his WRs from a season ago, this time he isn't being forced to throw from a chair for half of the off season, and his shoulder is back where it needs to be. We are upgrading massively at RB. The defense, was fourth or fifth in the conference last season and returns multiple snaps at all of the key positions.

This is the years, guys. This will make you forget all about 98-99.

Bullmutt
05-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Without a doubt. This is possibly the best we've been since anybody on this board can remember. People point to the 90s. Those years were great, but this is now. You can't compete for a conference championship at 8-5 now.
This will be the best years to be a State fan since the forties. We have a QB that is a darkhorse for the highest honor in football, and is still as down-to-earth as he can possibly be. He brings back all of his WRs from a season ago, this time he isn't being forced to throw from a chair for half of the off season, and his shoulder is back where it needs to be. We are upgrading massively at RB. The defense, was fourth or fifth in the conference last season and returns multiple snaps at all of the key positions.

This is the years, guys. This will make you forget all about 98-99.

^^THIS!^^

Joe Schmedlap
05-17-2014, 01:56 PM
That kid is skinny, very skinny. Needs a couple of years at the training table. He's not "fur boy" skinny, but he is way more slightly built than any MSU QB under Dan Mullen since Tyson Lee.

smootness
05-17-2014, 01:57 PM
I agree with a lot of this, but the arm strength is kind of worrisome because it gives DBs the time to get between his pass and the wideout. But a lot of that can be offset with his quick feet and solid decision making. On the whole, I would way rather have an accurate QB than one with a rocket arm that can't hit water falling out of a boat. But I would love both, if it were available. lol

Sure, I'd take arm strength over the lack of it, all else being equal. But you can make a long list of absolute stud college QBs who didn't have great arm strength or zip...Johnny Manziel, Danny Wuerffel, Matt Leinart, etc. You would have a much more difficult time finding successful QBs who can't put it where they want it.

I do disagree about the Russell Wilson comparison, though, at least until we've seen more of Virgil. But I consider Wilson to be possibly the greatest QB talent (when combining his mobility/arm talent/intelligence/leadership) I've ever seen, so that's no knock on Virgil.

I just think Wilson has an elite NFL-caliber arm, and I think that gets overlooked a lot.

smootness
05-17-2014, 01:58 PM
That kid is skinny, very skinny. Needs a couple of years at the training table. He's not "fur boy" skinny, but he is way more slightly built than any MSU QB under Dan Mullen since Tyson Lee.

I'm not sure why people keep pointing this out. There are a whole bunch of college recruits who aren't filled out as sophomores or juniors in HS. He should be able to pack on an extra 30-40 pounds over the next 2-3 years without much problem. We don't need him tomorrow.

GreenheadDawg
05-17-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure why people keep pointing this out. There are a whole bunch of college recruits who aren't filled out as sophomores or juniors in HS. He should be able to pack on an extra 30-40 pounds over the next 2-3 years without much problem. We don't need him tomorrow.

God, thank you. You get it. I guess we don't need any O-lineman under 300 pounds cause 280 is small for a O-line. Jesus give the kid some time to grow

Joe Schmedlap
05-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Did I not say he needed a couple of years at the training table???? I didn't say anything about tomorrow.

hailmari
05-17-2014, 02:36 PM
He'll probably be around 210-215 by the time he's the man. (Assuming he doesn't hit a late growth spurt.) You don't wanna add too much bulk that it'll interfere with mechanics. Get him where he can still play to his strengths and also take a hit.

hacker
05-17-2014, 11:21 PM
First link is broken.