PDA

View Full Version : Anybody think we won today despite Cohen and his over managing? I'm happy but...

whosyourdawgy
05-16-2014, 11:17 PM
I mean, from bunting in the 1st inning, to the countless hit and runs(especially w CT at the plate and runners on 1st and 2nd), taking Ross out on a 0-2 count with a man on 2nd with one out in the 7th with only like 70 pitch count. It all worked out. But it worked out because Mitchell and Holder are so bad ass. I think it was the Saturday game vs UT after Cohen had lost the Friday game with about 100 too many over thinking moves that he just let them play baseball on Saturday. We won 1-0 in 10 but he just played straight up baseball and the game just felt like it was never in doubt. Of course it was Mitchell and Holder again that were unbelievable. I just think Cohen tries to earn his money too much at times and wish he'd not over analyze things so much some times.

This team being 18-11 in SEC is an amazing accomplishment with our offensive ineptness. Goes to show you what great pitching and defense can do for a baseball team. And we have shown some flashes of actually being a little offensive as of late. Maybe we can make another deep run, but we'll have to do it on the road which this team has been REALLY good at

It would even be more remarkable if somehow A&M can play for 9 innings tomorrow and we can somehow pull the sweep tomorrow. I say if it happens we have a removable co championship banner made up and only hang it when the Bears are in town.

CadaverDawg
05-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Cohen always makes goofy decisions, but the results speak for themselves. Definitely agreed with taking Ross out when we did. Why ruin a great performance by leaving him in too long when you have a beast like Holder fresh in the pen? Especially the way he's thrown lately.

Should have bunted CT in the 9th...but what's new with Cohen? He does about 6 or 8 things per game that make me want to pull my hair out. A W is a W though...and he gets W's

whosyourdawgy
05-16-2014, 11:27 PM
I really didn't have a problem w bringing Holder in at that point. But I do think Ross would've gotten out of it. Holder did exactly what Cohen wanted and struck out the 2 he faced in the 7th. Taking Ross out with that low pitch count also insured that he will be ready for the SEC tourney. But the bunt in the first and the hit and run in the 9th left me scratching my head.

Todd4State
05-17-2014, 12:16 AM
Will James I'm sure thinks we won despite Cohen.**

At the end of the day pitching and defense win in baseball. Good offense helps and makes it a lot easier. But if the other team can't score on you, you will win more often than not. If you have pitching/defense/offense/speed you have a chance to be dominant.

He probably shouldn't have had Pirtle bunt in the first. I agree with that. I don't know if they were back at the corners though- that's the only logical thing I can think of there. If they are playing back, I'm a little bit more OK with it- but Pirtle has to execute there IF that's the case. I'd still prefer to let Pirtle try to drive them in though.

I can understand hit and running with CT a little bit more than the Pirtle bunt. CT is hitting the ball well, it's something that they are not expecting and Alabama's catchers are some of the worst in the league at throwing runners out. It was a calculated gamble that didn't work out.

You have to give credit to Turnbull too though. He has a chance to be a Big Leaguer and he stepped up.

CJDAWG85
05-17-2014, 12:58 AM
I've been frustrated with Cohen a lot just like everyone else. But how mad can you be at a coach who has taken us to where we are now? Everyone on here loves to play Monday morning QB. Not saying he doesn't make mistakes, but he's an aggressive coach on the bases. Sometimes it works and sometimes it backfires, but we've won 13 of the last 17. This team is catching fire at the right time.

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2014, 01:01 AM
I agree that Cohen makes some odd decisions at times, but, at some point, we just have to realize that he is good at everything else. Considering that we were a national runner up last year, and will either tie for the SEC West or finish one game back this year, we should really give Cohen a lot of credit as well.

Todd4State
05-17-2014, 01:19 AM
I've been frustrated with Cohen a lot just like everyone else. But how mad can you be at a coach who has taken us to where we are now? Everyone on here loves to play Monday morning QB. Not saying he doesn't make mistakes, but he's an aggressive coach on the bases. Sometimes it works and sometimes it backfires, but we've won 13 of the last 17. This team is catching fire at the right time.

I don't get the sense that people are mad. One of the unfair things about coaching baseball is anything that goes wrong is magnified more than the things that go right most of the time. When we pull off a hit and run and it works- no one questions it. If it doesn't, the coach has to answer to the media and fans.

And heck- even sometimes when you do something unconventional and it works out you get blasted. See tonight where we had that announcer ripping Cohen for bringing in Holder with an 0-2 count. But Holder not only did the job- he dominated. Tim Corbin at Vanderbilt gets criticized a lot for having his previous days pitcher DH and then pinch hits for him. Personally, I'm not real wild about that myself because I think it's pointless- but Corbin does have a point and I'm sure he has had some success doing that. Or ask Tony LaRussa about hitting the pitcher 8th.

It's more difficult to coach a team that doesn't have very much power. Our third hitter only has 10 extra base hits the entire season. When you have that little pop in the lineup, you have to manufacture and you have to take chances- and that opens you up to more criticism as a coach. The other option is to hope and pray that that our hitters can find a way to string 3-4 singles in an inning.

Todd4State
05-17-2014, 01:31 AM
I agree that Cohen makes some odd decisions at times, but, at some point, we just have to realize that he is good at everything else. Considering that we were a national runner up last year, and will either tie for the SEC West or finish one game back this year, we should really give Cohen a lot of credit as well.

Especially when you compare us to Ole Miss this year. Ole Miss has a Friday night guy that is not only a top 100 MLB draft prospect- but he went undefeated during the regular season. When you can neutralize the other team's ace every Friday, that's a huge advantage every weekend. They have juniors or seniors at catcher, three of their infield positions if Overbey starts, and two of their three outfield positions. They have a closer that is likely to get drafted too.

We have a really good bullpen, but we had to move Ross to the rotation and we've battled injuries with Woodruff and Preston Brown. We also lost a JUCO pitcher to Tommy John in Paul Young who would have made a big difference on our staff. We're starting a freshman or walk-on catcher. We have two seniors that start on the infield, and one consistently in the outfield. Not to mention having to handle expectations and deal with players one year removed from the CWS. We're pretty much a duct tape job of a baseball team.

whosyourdawgy
05-17-2014, 06:42 AM
I guess we just have to have something to bitch about. The strike outs piss me off more than the Cohen over managing though. Seth Heck and Collins last night in the late innings in particular. I mean Seth didn't even know it was strike 3 when he watched a pitch right down the middle. And that Friday UT game was just awful. Can anyone ever remember a team striking out all 3 times in a single inning and not swinging at a pitch? Get the bases loaded in the 8th and 9th and strike out 4 out of the 6 outs. OK, enough of the bitching. Lets get a sweep today with a 10-0 score and have 3 hr's and 5 hit and runs and change pitchers 3 times on 0-2 counts w one out in consecutive innings. And let's hope A&M can somehow play 9 innings today and finish tied for the West so we can claim an Ole Miss co champ title!

Dawgface
05-17-2014, 06:55 AM
I've been out of town and totally out of touch. I see we have two wins in the bag over Bama on the road. Although I have bitched a little as most, none from me this morning. Pretty amazing how well this team has performed on the road. Hopefully they can keep the formula working when the SEC tourney rolls around.

Bucky Dog
05-17-2014, 07:07 AM
No doubt pitching and defense are this teams strength and it does win championships but it continues to be frustrating at the very least when many feel that Cohens decisions could cost us a run or two that might cost us a game. I didn't agree with the first and ninth inning calls last night at all. Yes a win is a win but you cannot always rely on outstanding pitching every game to carry you. Just saying.

sbcmortgageman
05-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Best coaching move Cohen made all season was moving Ross from the pen to a starter. This truly changed our dynamic as a team and it all started with the UGA series after we started SEC play 0-1. Best move Cohen has ever made IMO.

RossDawg82
05-17-2014, 07:50 AM
We needed a strikeout in that situation. I thought it was a brilliant move to bring Holder in in that situation.

engie
05-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Cohen has overmanaged at times in all 5 years here -- and pretty consistently in 4 of 5 years(He took a step back at times and "let us play the game" last year)

That said -- there's a method to the madness -- and it works out in our favor in the long run more times than not.

The Croom Diaries
05-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Cohening is frustrating only because it's unconventional. Most of his moves aren't what the rest of us would do, but the end result has been good. Over his first 5 years his moves would infuriate me but after last year I said I will just accept it, so now it's just Cohening moves and I'll accept his decisions without second guessing them. He knows what he's doing, and he's a great coach.

basedog
05-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Cohen does over coach some, but he also makes great moves as well! The thing is, the naysayers never have enough praise for Cohen and his staff. Cohen has done a fantastic job as a coach, his record speaks for itself.

On pitching, I think our pitching Coach has a lot of say about whose on the mound and when to take them out. Don't think Cohen decides when to make the change most of the time without consulting with Johnson. I know he gives him much of the credit and I believe Johnson has stayed with Cohen because of his lead way with the staff.

It really pissed me off listening to the CBS color guy last night, he made some stupid remarks about Cohen (see Will James) last night. Obviously he isn't familiar with college baseball. I got the feeling the play by play guy was ready for the game to be over so he could depart from the color guys comments.

The Croom Diaries
05-17-2014, 08:23 AM
On pitching, I think our pitching Coach has a lot of say about whose on the mound and when to take them out. Don't think Cohen decides when to make the change most of the time without consulting with Johnson. I know he gives him much of the credit and I believe Johnson has stayed with Cohen because of his lead way with the staff.

Thompson. Butch Thompson.

TheRef
05-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Thompson. Butch Thompson.

I seen it dawg
05-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Not every move Cohen makes is gonna work. And bc he makes quite a few unconventional ones when they don't work they are much more headscratching. We are clicking now as usual so his methods while sometimes weird put us where we need to be.

shoeless joe
05-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Cohens decisions are reflective of his approach to the game: gritty, competitive, make something happen. This also shows up in our team. And once again cohen's guys are playing the best at the end. I would argue that Cohen has done more this year with less talent than the last 3 years. JMO.

also, despite pre season over hype, look at what we lost from last year...look at the individual stats for our every day guys...how in the world are we once again at the top Of our game at the most important time as well battling for the west? The common denominator is Cohen and pitching (butch).

basedog
05-17-2014, 09:23 AM
LOL, my bad and thanks for fixn my mistake. I suppose I was trying to bunt with no outs but I grounded into a double play!

smootness
05-17-2014, 09:58 AM
What do you know...another year in which we were all frustrated and disappointed much of the way, but another year in which we're picking it up and catching fire coming down the stretch. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being another year where we make a run in the SEC Tournament and at least make a SR.

John Cohen knows what he's doing.

ClancyDawg
05-17-2014, 11:07 AM
I think there is a causation and correlation effect to the entirety of Cohen's success. Greatest part of that to me seems to be elite JUCO scouting (Pirtle, Heck, Detz) and having one of the best pitching development programs in the country. MSU will always be solid recruiting but the JUCO role players and developing our pitchers is what bumps us up to the level we compete at.

The notion of "he does unconventional things and then we win" is not really accurate. I don't think the bunting/hit and running/stealing has even close to a "reason" for our success as does the scouting and pitching. My bet is the MLB style shifts are the next noticeable thing in college ball and Cohen will be one of the pioneers.

Bo Darville
05-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Will James I'm sure thinks we won despite Cohen.**

Nobody listens to Will. Todd, your baseball opinions are usually well thought out. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't, but you usually have a thought process for your position. Since Will enjoys baseball statistics I'll give you one: Todd4State knows 1000000 times more baseball than Will James will ever know. His high opinion of himself clouds his judgement.

I seen it dawg
05-17-2014, 01:24 PM
I think there is a causation and correlation effect to the entirety of Cohen's success. Greatest part of that to me seems to be elite JUCO scouting (Pirtle, Heck, Detz) and having one of the best pitching development programs in the country. MSU will always be solid recruiting but the JUCO role players and developing our pitchers is what bumps us up to the level we compete at.

The notion of "he does unconventional things and then we win" is not really accurate. I don't think the bunting/hit and running/stealing has even close to a "reason" for our success as does the scouting and pitching. My bet is the MLB style shifts are the next noticeable thing in college ball and Cohen will be one of the pioneers.

So what he is doing is working.

Air of The Dawg
05-17-2014, 01:29 PM
L..I...B

Bullmutt
05-17-2014, 02:03 PM
For those who question Cohen's decision to lift Mitchell when he did, I suggest you see Hailstate website, which has a Cohen interview posted during which he explains his decision, which seems pretty sound in retrospect.

ClancyDawg
05-17-2014, 02:17 PM
For those who question Cohen's decision to lift Mitchell when he did, I suggest you see Hailstate website, which has a Cohen interview posted during which he explains his decision, which seems pretty sound in retrospect.

That's mostly for Danny Graves. Did he say anything about the 9th inning hit and run?