PDA

View Full Version : So is there a scenario left that would have us NOT getting a bye in the SEC tourney?

maroonmania
05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Only possible way I can see is if we lose, LSU wins and SC wins tomorrow. In that case I'm not sure which 2 of the 3 teams would get the bye.

DawgSaint
05-16-2014, 09:11 PM
If there is I don't see it...We hold tiebreak on Vandy and USC

maroonmania
05-16-2014, 09:14 PM
I knew we held the tiebreaker on Vandy but didn't know we did on SC. If we do then we should be a top 4 seed no matter what happens tomorrow.

HSVDawg
05-16-2014, 09:15 PM
We have to lose tomorrow, USC has to come back from a 5-run deficit to beat Vandy tonight AND beat them again tomorrow, and LSU has to beat Auburn tomorrow.

Unless all of those things happen, we will get the 4 seed at worst.

DawgSaint
05-16-2014, 09:15 PM
I knew we held the tiebreaker on Vandy but didn't know we did on SC. If we do then we should be a top 4 seed no matter what happens tomorrow.

Well....the tiebreaker over USC assumes Vandy wins tonight

maroonmania
05-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Well SC has one inning to make up a 6 run deficit. I feel pretty confident Vandy will hold on.

jalakin
05-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Excuse my ignorance but how does the tie breaker work with USC if they lose today but win tomorrow and Bama wins tomorrow?

maroonmania
05-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Vandy wins 9-3.

nsvltndog
05-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Normally the SEC puts up a "Road to Hoover' feature on their website with 4-5 games left in the regular season that outlines all the different scenarios for each team. The scenarios this season have been so crazy that they skipped it entirely. I mean here we are with 1 game left still struggling to figure things out.

nsvltndog
05-16-2014, 09:50 PM
If there is I don't see it...We hold tiebreak on Vandy and USC

I really hope you are right, but how do we hold the tie breaker on South Carolina? I thought that one would be settled by who had the best record against the highest seeded common opponent since we didn't meet head to head. USC beat Mississippi 2 out of 3.

Radddawg
05-16-2014, 10:10 PM
If we lose and USC and LSU both win tomorrow we will be the #5 seed in Hoover... Win and we are the #3... If we do lose tomorrow and LSU or USC lose we will still get a bye as the #4... Regardless, We are playing a great brand of baseball headed into postseason play.

If all 3 teams lose (us, LSU, USC) we will be the #3 seed as well... That covers all scenarios except rainouts... I'll let someone else handle that.

RAYn_Man
05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
If we win tomorrow and Ole Miss loses we would still be considered Co-SEC West champs.

dickiedawg
05-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Kyle "Nibbler" Niblett seems to think we could be playing Tuesday, per twitter.

@KyleNiblett: If you're making plans for Hoover, @HailStateBB will play in either the 8'ish game Tuesday night, the 9:30 a.m. game Wed or 8'ish Wednesday.

Todd4State
05-16-2014, 10:20 PM
He's right if LSU and South Carolina win and we lose.

DawgSaint
05-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Yes...I stand corrected we have not secured a bye. My apologies! Let's just win tomorrow and lock it up.

Radddawg
05-16-2014, 10:30 PM
If we win tomorrow and Ole Miss loses we would still be considered Co-SEC West champs.

Considered my ass... We will be SEC West Champions... Head to head stuff is only for seeding purposes.. Us and the bears will both be named SEC West Champions.

A&M has a senior starting on the mound tomorrow... Hopefully he and his fellow seniors are locked in and focused for Senior Night... It's a big game for the Aggies who are trying to secure a spot in the field of 64.

dickiedawg
05-16-2014, 10:38 PM
I assumed he was right. Just posting that for clarity, as some seemed to think we had already clinched. I couldn't find a current breakdown of tiebreakers and no one else has posted one either.

jalakin
05-16-2014, 11:04 PM
So I take it you agree with Ole Miss claiming an SEC West Championship in football the year they tied LSU, but lost the head to head?

Radddawg
05-16-2014, 11:29 PM
So I take it you agree with Ole Miss claiming an SEC West Championship in football the year they tied LSU, but lost the head to head?

Hell no... That's football... Completely different... Only 1 team from each division plays for the title... In baseball it's different.

The conference office determines the rules and they say head to head is only for seeding purposes when it comes to baseball.

Are you saying that you would turn down the title of "SEC West Baseball Champions" ? I wouldn't... I don't think Cohen and our players would either... Plus, it'd piss A LOT of bear fans off.

jalakin
05-17-2014, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't turn it down, but I also don't like the idea of claiming a title that we tied for and lost the head to head.

nsvltndog
05-17-2014, 10:38 AM
I've got to agree that it would be tough to call ourselves SEC West Champions if we end up tied with the Black Bears. I was a student in 1991 when we won our first SEC regular season basketball championship since the early 1960's. We finished tied with LSU in the standings but beat them both in Starkville and Baton Rouge. I might add that they were loaded with Shaq, Chris Jackson, and some other strong players to go with that nucleus. They are listed along with us as the SEC Champions for 1991 despite going 0-2 against us in the regular season. It always has and always will rub me wrong that this was allowed and I feel no differently about the concept when it works for us instead of against us. I also think it is ridiculous that Ole Miss claims an SEC West Football Championship from the Eli era when they didn't get to represent the West in Atlanta.

BulldogBear
05-17-2014, 11:09 AM
I've got to agree that it would be tough to call ourselves SEC West Champions if we end up tied with the Black Bears. I was a student in 1991 when we won our first SEC regular season basketball championship since the early 1960's. We finished tied with LSU in the standings but beat them both in Starkville and Baton Rouge. I might add that they were loaded with Shaq, Chris Jackson, and some other strong players to go with that nucleus. They are listed along with us as the SEC Champions for 1991 despite going 0-2 against us in the regular season. It always has and always will rub me wrong that this was allowed and I feel no differently about the concept when it works for us instead of against us. I also think it is ridiculous that Ole Miss claims an SEC West Football Championship from the Eli era when they didn't get to represent the West in Atlanta.

I've always felt that way in any sport. If you win the "tiebreaker' then by definition THERE IS NO LONGER A TIE. For instance, in football, if you didn't go to Atlanta you are not division champions. If you lose tiebreaker you are 2nd place. Period.

ScottH
05-17-2014, 11:58 AM
As much as I hate the Bears (which is as much as anyone alive)if we are in a 2 way tie - they are the champs. We are 2nd.
They beat us 2/3 when it counted.
18-12/19-11 is about where I had hoped.
5 loses to 100+rpi teams isn't.

Bullmutt
05-17-2014, 01:42 PM
I realize the Gov. Cup does not count for SEC purposes, but the reality remains that we split with them for the season. Hopefully, we'll get another shot at them in the tourney and break the tie, if that would make anyone besides myself feel better about it.

BulldogBear
05-17-2014, 01:44 PM
I realize the Gov. Cup does not count for SEC purposes, but the reality remains that we split with them for the season. Hopefully, we'll get another shot at them in the tourney and break the tie, if that would make anyone besides myself feel better about it.

So, if we win game 5 against them.... THEN can we put up the banner?****

Quaoarsking
05-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Absolutely there's nothing wrong with Ole Miss claiming a 2003 SEC West championship in football. The SEC recognizes it, so why shouldn't Ole Miss?

blacklistedbully
05-17-2014, 06:12 PM

No, lots of wrong in this thread. If we lose today, with the LSU & SCar win, we would finish outside the top 4 seeds. UF #1, OM #2, LSU #3, SCar #4. We lose the tie-breaker to SCAr based on our 0-3 versus LSU compared to their 2-1 versus Vandy.

BulldogBear
05-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Just saw the scenario left where we don't get a bye....

Dawgcentral
05-17-2014, 08:10 PM
They have a good ball team. They have some hitting that we lack, and they won the west. I can deal with it. Still waiting for them to choke in a regional. They've made a habit of it.

sandwolf
05-18-2014, 03:32 AM
We lose the tie-breaker to SCAr based on our 0-3 versus LSU compared to their 2-1 versus Vandy.

I thought it was based on our 1-2 versus Ole Miss compared to their 2-1 versus Ole Miss. I thought that to break a tie between two teams that didn't play heads up, the highest seeded common opponent was used as the tiebreaker....

Radddawg
05-18-2014, 07:20 AM
sandwolf is correct

Hate we lost but it's almost impossible to win back to back road games only scoring 2 runs total

:mad:

blacklistedbully
05-18-2014, 04:21 PM
I thought it was based on our 1-2 versus Ole Miss compared to their 2-1 versus Ole Miss. I thought that to break a tie between two teams that didn't play heads up, the highest seeded common opponent was used as the tiebreaker....

Yes. I was still thinking in terms of a 3 or more way tie across both divisions.