PDA

View Full Version : How much is the stadium expansion helping our recruiting?

Jack Lambert
05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Is this a reason for our recruiting class is looking good?

Pollodawg
05-16-2014, 11:11 AM
That is a huge part of I think. But I think it's a combination of things, to be honest. Mullen has built a consistent winner here at State. We got some guys on staff that these kids like to talk to and hang around, like Deshea and recently Brian Johnson. Geoff has done a great job with the D, which got better every game last season, and people are excited about that.

And we've started putting people in the league at a solid clip. And I don't mean lower rounds, but 4th and up. Gabe Jackson, Fletcher Cox, John Banks (Who also won a Thorpe award), etc. Dak is getting loads of Hesiman love right now. BMac is a projected first rounder. Kids are seeing that you don't have to go to LSU, Bama, UF, Auburn to get that kind of love and hype. They can get it right here at home.

Also, I think the staff as it is now, gelled really well. You've got Dan and Geoff and Deshea and Brian and Billy all working together far better than we did in 2012. Is a bunch of factors.

Le Big Mac
05-16-2014, 11:12 AM
It probably helps with MS recruits more than anything. The out of state recruits probably didn't know what it looked like in the first place.

thunderclap
05-16-2014, 11:31 AM
In combination with the new football complex, and winning some games and some bowls, it all seems to be helping each other.

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I think the expansion will help even more in during the season, when recruits come and experience a "big time" atmosphere

Johnson85
05-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Is this a reason for our recruiting class is looking good?

I'm guessing not much except that it shows excitement around the program is still growing and that we're a program on the rise. Mullen has been here long enough that a lot of recruits that didn't grow up State fans probably don't even remember the Croom debacle, so I think it's just a confluence of factors.
- After four bowl games in a row, it's got to be a lot easier to sell recruits that they can help take MSU to the next level and they aren't risking a losing career by coming here.
- We've had consistent success putting people in the league.
- We've got more stability on the coaching staff probably since Mullen has been here. Losing Koenig was not as big of a deal since Mullen is seen as the OC anyway and Brian Johnson already has familiarity with Mullen and has apparently hit the ground running
- I think in addition to having better recruiters on Staff, Mullen has learned about recruiting. We're getting on kids earlier and I assume we are not taking ourselves out of the game the way we did earlier in his career at State.

I think the Stadium expansion is one of those factors and helps convince some recruits that they won't be playing on a smaller stage compared to other places in the SEC, but I'd probably put it below the rest of them. Now if it makes a real difference in the atmosphere this season, it might make a difference in getting new commits and/or keeping current ones, but I'm guessing simply showing them drawings probably doesn't have a major effect.

maroonmania
05-16-2014, 12:20 PM
It probably helps with MS recruits more than anything. The out of state recruits probably didn't know what it looked like in the first place.

I actually think it may be the other way around. There is a preconception about Mississippi State out there in a lot of people's mind from outside the State and I think recruits coming in and visiting and seeing our facilities for themselves makes a huge difference in what they think about MSU. I believe recruits from in state are much more familiar in general with all things MSU. Many have visited unofficially during HS anyway so they are aware already of what's there. I do agree though that without the ON FIELD improvements during Mullen's time that the facility upgrades by themselves wouldn't do the trick.

Bully041184
05-16-2014, 01:01 PM
There is a preconception about Mississippi State out there in a lot of people's mind from outside the State .

Yes there is a preconception. Additionally, we are fighting the battle of people outside of the region not knowing which school is which. I've been relocated for work to Cincinnati and I was talking to a co-worker yesterday about my desktop background of DWS. He says "Oh is that Ole Miss?" I pause for a solid 10 seconds and say "No. That is our rival. This is Mississippi State." It's a mix bag of people up here who are clueless about the two schools---what kills me are the ones still knowledgeable enough about football to know better between the two prominent schools in the state.

I know that was a little off topic but overall I feel we are doing a better job with branding our school but Ole Miss is mostly more recognized around the country when you mention the state of Mississippi and a football team that comes to mind.

Pollodawg
05-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Yes there is a preconception. Additionally, we are fighting the battle of people outside of the region not knowing which school is which. I've been relocated for work to Cincinnati and I was talking to a co-worker yesterday about my desktop background of DWS. He says "Oh is that Ole Miss?" I pause for a solid 10 seconds and say "No. That is our rival. This is Mississippi State." It's a mix bag of people up here who are clueless about the two schools---what kills me are the ones still knowledgeable enough about football to know better between the two prominent schools in the state.

I know that was a little off topic but overall I feel we are doing a better job with branding our school but Ole Miss is mostly more recognized around the country when you mention the state of Mississippi and a football team that comes to mind.

OM pimps the grove and oxford hard. That's why most people have such a perception of them. It doesn't help that their school of journalism produces people who tend to be in the public eye by the very nature of their profession far more than a vet or an engineer. In a sense, it helps them control to a degree the media hype and presentation.

And never forget that there are people who spend thousands on trips to Natchez and Vicskburg and Corinth and whatnot that love the Pilgrimages from all over the country. They like the Old South stuff and "charm". Ole Miss pimps that out pretty hard as well.

DawgHouseUnited
05-16-2014, 01:15 PM
That is a huge part of I think. But I think it's a combination of things, to be honest. Mullen has built a consistent winner here at State. We got some guys on staff that these kids like to talk to and hang around, like Deshea and recently Brian Johnson. Geoff has done a great job with the D, which got better every game last season, and people are excited about that.

And we've started putting people in the league at a solid clip. And I don't mean lower rounds, but 4th and up. Gabe Jackson, Fletcher Cox, John Banks (Who also won a Thorpe award), etc. Dak is getting loads of Hesiman love right now. BMac is a projected first rounder. Kids are seeing that you don't have to go to LSU, Bama, UF, Auburn to get that kind of love and hype. They can get it right here at home.

Also, I think the staff as it is now, gelled really well. You've got Dan and Geoff and Deshea and Brian and Billy all working together far better than we did in 2012. Is a bunch of factors.

Did you see the FWTCT article on Bulldogs in the draft? It was a pretty good read.

LINK (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/mississippi-state-football-recruiting/2014/5/15/5719164/mississippi-state-football-signees-in-the-nfl-draft-2002-2011)

Todd4State
05-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Allegedly several years ago they did a survey with recruits and one of the things that they said was the fact that our stadium not being enclosed like most of the other SEC schools made us look "small time" compared to other schools.

In hindsight, building the new Eastside upper deck first was a mistake.

Johnson85
05-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Allegedly several years ago they did a survey with recruits and one of the things that they said was the fact that our stadium not being enclosed like most of the other SEC schools made us look "small time" compared to other schools.

In hindsight, building the new Eastside upper deck first was a mistake.

Just looked at pics showing the difference from the field, and it's pretty significant. I'm still not sure it's had an impact yet just because I'm not sure how may recruits that have committed have actually seen the expansion work yet, but I have changed my mind about how much of an impact it will have. Based on the pictures, I could definitely see how having the endzone open hurt us in recruiting.

drunkernhelldawg
05-16-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm concerned that it will hurt down the road if we can't keep those extra seats filled. I admit that I thought our stadium already had the right number of seats. I hope to be proven wrong. I realize we have to plan and build for future growth, but nothing makes a program look crappier than huge empty sections in its stadium.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
It cant hurt. I know first hand that other coaches have said used not havig an enclosed stadium against us in recruiting.

Reason2succeed
05-16-2014, 03:41 PM
I'm concerned that it will hurt down the road if we can't keep those extra seats filled. I admit that I thought our stadium already had the right number of seats. I hope to be proven wrong. I realize we have to plan and build for future growth, but nothing makes a program look crappier than huge empty sections in its stadium.

That's the reason why the increase in seating capacity wasn't the factor. The stadium expansion is more about getting more money out of the people who are already coming. Plus, people will continue to come since we are winning consistently. Additionally, adding the extra BIG 5 opponents will help. I think we should make the three remaining OOC games local Mississippi schools like USM and the SWACs so that it will create local interest on those games as opposed to schools that State fans could care less about.

maroonmania
05-16-2014, 03:54 PM
That's the reason why the increase in seating capacity wasn't the factor. The stadium expansion is more about getting more money out of the people who are already coming. Plus, people will continue to come since we are winning consistently. Additionally, adding the extra BIG 5 opponents will help. I think we should make the three remaining OOC games local Mississippi schools like USM and the SWACs so that it will create local interest on those games as opposed to schools that State fans could care less about.

Exactly, the expansion only nets about a 7K seat increase. That's not much extra capacity for an "expansion". This is much more about money and asthetics.

drunkernhelldawg
05-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Exactly, the expansion only nets about a 7K seat increase. That's not much extra capacity for an "expansion". This is much more about money and asthetics.

Appreciate the info. We could maybe even eventually convert some of the existing seating areas to lounge/concession areas if it turns out we need to reduce capacity. It is exciting to get the stadium bowled in. We've actually got one helluva football program. I personally wouldn't trade it for anybody's, as all who know me understand.

preachermatt83
05-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Two things are helping our recruiting more than anything right now.. .1) Dak Prescott- I don't think we even realize how popular he is across the southeast right now. He is huge for our program. 2) Brian Johnson- I have heard from several places that this guy is an absolute recruiting machine.

Todd4State
05-16-2014, 05:56 PM

I think we are going to have a hard time getting a Big 5 team to come to Starkville. My guess is that we are going to end up doing a bunch of Kickoff Classic type games like we did this year. That's one of the areas LT specializes in- selling off our potential home games to neutral sites. At least until the SEC expands again or the rest of the SEC realizes how dumb of a rule that is.

Our goal is still going to be to have seven home games though. I suspect it will be a SWAC and two Sun Belt teams if I had to guess to achieve that.

As far as "local interest" -we sell out those games that we could care less about. The least attended game last year by far was Kentucky- and that is an opponent that should have been far more "interesting" than Troy or Bowling Green.

Todd4State
05-16-2014, 05:57 PM

We're smart about this. It's about "premium seating" as opposed to just putting in a bunch of seats. It's killing several birds with one stone.

Pollodawg
05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Plus, enclosing that end of the field makes the stadium look less like something you would find at one of the smaller Big Ten schools, and morel like something that would be a premier venue. It makes us look more legit.

Dawgfan77
05-17-2014, 06:17 AM
I think we are going to have a hard time getting a Big 5 team to come to Starkville. My guess is that we are going to end up doing a bunch of Kickoff Classic type games like we did this year. That's one of the areas LT specializes in- selling off our potential home games to neutral sites. At least until the SEC expands again or the rest of the SEC realizes how dumb of a rule that is.

Our goal is still going to be to have seven home games though. I suspect it will be a SWAC and two Sun Belt teams if I had to guess to achieve that.

As far as "local interest" -we sell out those games that we could care less about. The least attended game last year by far was Kentucky- and that is an opponent that should have been far more "interesting" than Troy or Bowling Green.

Good point however we have played Oregon at home at WVU. I could see us getting a big 12 or ACC home and home, but I don't feel the PAC 12 will help the sec