PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox recruiting tactics

SignalToNoise
05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Don't think it was necessarily this board, but I've seen a lot of belly aching from message board heroes over Coach Collins sending out the "Cans of swag" and other recruiting letters. For those of you that though it was stupid or made us look bad, I would like to call your attention to this. Rice just landed a commitment by writing a letter to a kids cat (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/54922/letter-to-cat-helps-land-rice-a-qb-commit). Yes, you read that correctly.

I hope we keep sending out the cans 'o swag or whatever. I think its cool as shit. If I were a 17/18 year old high school kid, I'd be laughing my ass off (in a good way) if I got letters like that.

Sam&DeansDawg
05-16-2014, 09:05 AM
1/1,000,000 times it's cool as shit for a recruit.

DawgHouseUnited
05-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Not a bad trick- it shows that they've paid attention to the family & I'd imagine they've made an in-house visit and remember the cat. Unique and amusing, something to stand out amongst the probable hundreds or thousands of 'crootin letters.

esplanade91
05-16-2014, 09:59 AM
I think Collins' drawings are awesome. Even more awesome that Adidas made t-shirts out of some.

sandwolf
05-16-2014, 10:29 AM
........something to stand out amongst the probable hundreds or thousands of 'crootin letters.

This is the strategy. It has nothing to do with being 'cool as shit.'

hailmari
05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
We've also been sending letters to recruits' mothers on Mother's Day and/or their birthdays. I'm not sure if State started that or not, but I've seen others schools using the same tactic lately.

TUSK
05-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Dammit, we Bammers gotta catch up with the times...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-05-15/derrick-henry-car-alabama-dodge-challenger-crimson-tide-pat-white-claims-alabama-offered-him-corvette-wvu-west-virginia

sbcmortgageman
05-16-2014, 06:57 PM
The recruits love the attention. Trust me.