PDA

View Full Version : RB commits to OM 180lbs?

Sam&DeansDawg
05-16-2014, 08:46 AM
I saw his film and he looked good but I don't think a RB that weighs 180 lbs should be rated as high as him.

Edit to add his name is Eric Swinney

godlluB
05-16-2014, 08:51 AM
I'll just leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_McCluster

Sam&DeansDawg
05-16-2014, 08:54 AM
I'll just leave this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_McCluster

Point taken.

Maroons
05-16-2014, 08:54 AM
This guy may be good - no idea. But the skill player they need more than anything is a RB who can run between the tackles.

HancockCountyDog
05-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Unless he can bring someone to block for him, he is ****ed.

Johnson85
05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
I think Jerius Norwood weighed 185 in high school. And I think he was knocked for having chicken legs (I don't even know what this means, but I think it was supposed to be a knock) and a frame that likely wouldn't be able to put on weight, although maybe those were criticisms of Nick Turner.

But agree that unless he is another freak like McLuster, this is not the type RB that shoudl be their priority right now.

Big4Dawg
05-16-2014, 09:15 AM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=3433

Norwood was 6-1 and 200 lbs

Political Hack
05-16-2014, 09:26 AM
according to one of those crappy media outlets he'll have plenty of time to bulk up because OM has one of the deepest backfields in the SEC.***

Serious question, given their lack of bruisers, and how thin they are on the OL, do y'all think they make it through the season without 2-3 RBs having to miss games?

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Swinney is just another Ole Miss type back. Don't get me wrong, I think Swinney looks like a good player, but it seems this is the only type of running backs they sign. This guy and Malik Dear are the same type of role players. I would think Swinney committing means they know they aren't getting Dear.

Personally, when comparing the star rankings to the NFL draft, it appears that the "flashy" "hype machine" small, elusive running backs are the most over-rated players in the star rankings. Sure, these players produce some exciting moments and attract attention with their "And 1" type moves, but in the grand scheme of things in the SEC and NFL, they just don't seem to hold a ton of value.

Lloyd Christmas
05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Swinney is just another Ole Miss type back. Don't get me wrong, I think Swinney looks like a good player, but it seems this is the only type of running backs they sign. This guy and Malik Dear are the same type of role players. I would think Swinney committing means they know they aren't getting Dear.

Personally, when comparing the star rankings to the NFL draft, it appears that the "flashy" "hype machine" small, elusive running backs are the most over-rated players in the star rankings. Sure, these players produce some exciting moments and attract attention with their "And 1" type moves, but in the grand scheme of things in the SEC and NFL, they just don't seem to hold a ton of value.

They love to recruit scat backs for some reason. When is the last time they had a running back that could bowl people over between the tackles?

spiritual_machine2005
05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
They have a redshirt fr rb...wilkins i think..that looks the part of a bruiser. If i remember correctly, he had an auburn offer and was probably going there until he blew out his knees and auburn passed on him.

ShotgunDawg
05-16-2014, 09:54 AM
They love to recruit scat backs for some reason. When is the last time they had a running back that could bowl people over between the tackles?

They do love them some scat backs, but I also think the flashy, highlight making, scat backs are attracted to them. I love John Cohen's quote on this, "In recruiting, you don't always get who you want, but you always get who you are."

Ole Miss attracts players that are a reflection of their university and MSU basically does the same.

If there is anything that the NFL draft teaches us, it's go for substance over flash. OL, DL, QB, and a WR that can stretch the field.

starkvegasdawg
05-16-2014, 09:59 AM

They don't want those kinds of RB's. That's how we got stuck with Aeris Williams, Shumpert, and Robinson.***

Martianlander
05-16-2014, 10:06 AM
according to one of those crappy media outlets he'll have plenty of time to bulk up because OM has one of the deepest backfields in the SEC.***

Serious question, given their lack of bruisers, and how thin they are on the OL, do y'all think they make it through the season without 2-3 RBs having to miss games?

I would say hurt RBs could be a real problem, and if the running game is not there it puts more pressure on Wallace at QB, who already has trouble with the deep throw.

Johnson85
05-16-2014, 10:27 AM

I doubt it's that they love them, it's just who they can get. Until the last couple of years, you would have thought we loved having nothing but slot receivers. Basically hadn't had a tall receiver that could stretch the field since I guess Kelvin Love? O'Neal Wilder might could have done that if he had stuck it out rather than going to track. Sometimes teams just get snake bit with a certain position. Ole Miss had BenJarvisGreenEllis and I can't remember who else between him and deuce although I know there had to be some. Weird because RB, LB, and Safety should be the positions that Mississipip schools never have to worry about.

chainedup_Dawg
05-16-2014, 01:32 PM
What would concern me about him is that I have seen some tweets that the kid likes to "punish" LBs in 1 on 1s. By looking at his profile, he is 5'10 and 188 (a little generous maybe). Also, he doesn't seem to have the frame to add a lot of weight. I know I wouldn't want to be the one calling the play that sends a 5'10 190 pound kid between the tackles to get greeted by an SEC LB.

blacklistedbully
05-16-2014, 01:53 PM

Brandon Bolden?

Reason2succeed
05-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Why do we care what OM is doing? Just asking.

blacklistedbully
05-16-2014, 04:17 PM

For the same reason they care about what we do (even though they try to deny it), and the same reason Ohio State cares about Michigan, & Michigan cares about OSU, and Bama cares about Auburn and Aubrn cares about Bama, etc, etc.

I just can't understand the logic of those who don't grasp this. IMO, it would be really weird to not care what our rivals are doing. Even in the business world, companies care about what their competitors are doing. It makes perfect sense. To not care makes no sense at all.

Sam&DeansDawg
05-16-2014, 04:34 PM
We're gonna sign better players at every position than OM this year and it won't be close. This year has too much potential.

Coach34
05-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Because rivals always care about their competitors.

Does AT&T care about Verizon?
Does Pizza Hut care about Dominoes?
Does Ford care about Chevrolet?
Does Alabama care about Auburn?

WTF? This isnt rocket surgery

blacklistedbully
05-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Wish I'd have thought of that. ;)

Bully13
05-16-2014, 05:08 PM

I wish more could understand that shit. all this "hopefully one day the egg bowl will have meaningful SEC ramifications"...17 that. I want us to be undefeated going into every egg bowl while they are 0-11. when you are in as small a state as MS, you need USM and OLD 17 to suck. plain and simple, that is unless you don't have 100% of your loyalty directly tied to the Maroon and White.

having said that, those who don't think the confederates paid off and landed a talented RB are delusional. in the state of GA with options galore and he chooses the plantation? uh, yea right.

Todd4State
05-16-2014, 05:13 PM
They don't want those kinds of RB's. That's how we got stuck with Aeris Williams, Shumpert, and Robinson.***

Sucks for us.*******

Todd4State
05-16-2014, 05:20 PM

I think Freeze likes them too. Part of his whole offensive philosophy is to try to run a play before the defense sets up and let someone that is shifty make a play using their as you say "And1" moves and 4.1 speed or whatever they hype up about them and hopefully get a touchdown.

The difference between Dan and Freeze though is Dan will use a guy like Dear in the slot and let him catch the ball AND run the ball out of the backfield. They are a priority in the spread offense that Dan runs, and Dan IMO utilizes them much better.

jimbo352
05-16-2014, 10:53 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Their problem ain't RB's, it's the OL... I think Mathers is a pretty good RB, This Swinney kid looks pretty good too... They also have that Dodson kid and Wilkerson(sp)... They claim to have a stable of RB's, and you know, they just might be right... It don't make a damn difference though. They can't open up any holes to run, and it's easy for a D to contain when you can't move the LOS.

Even if they do have a stable of RB's, I'm not gonna even begin to worry about it until they show me something on the OL.

paco
05-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I watched Swinney's highlight tape. I think he has a good build for the position. However, I saw a bunch of three yard runs and never once outran someone or broke a tackle. I was expecting more for a top 20 rated RB.