PDA

View Full Version : The RPI "What If" game

bulldogcountry1
05-15-2014, 04:08 PM
According to Boyd, our current RPI is 41 with a 0.555 rating. Our adjusted record is 28.8 and 21.1, based on:

1.3 points for away win
-1.3 for home loss
-0.7 for away loss
0.7 for home win

I put together a scenario where I added 3 shoulda won games to our wins: Holy Cross, Holy Cross or Jacksonville State, @Arizona.

That would change our adjusted record to 31.5 and 18.4. That increased our adjusted winning percentage from 0.577 to 0.631. Your own winning percentage counts only 25% of your total RPI. Obviously this lowers our opponent's winning %, but not by much. I won't bother with that since I can't really do that easily, anyway.

What this ultimately means is that, if we had won those three games, our RPI would currently be no higher than 0.568. That would currently put us at 26th, still well out of hosting range. So, unless someone can show I had a major bust somewhere, I think we can stop moaning about the Holy Cross series because, unless we tank this weekend, it won't mean anything. It's just that our whole OOC schedule turned out to be crap, and it was out of our control from the start.

curmudgeon
05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
We had little room for error in the non-conference, because we didn't play Florida, South Carolina or Kentucky from the East - all top 20 RPI teams. 1 of 3 from South Carolina would have boosted us as much as the sweep of Missouri. 2 of 3 would have been worth 5 spots.

Todd4State
05-15-2014, 04:40 PM
What killed us what was getting swept by LSU on the road and then losing the Ole Miss series. Losing to Holy Cross didn't help.

If we had won a game against LSU and then won the Ole Miss series at home, it would have helped immensely.

Political Hack
05-15-2014, 05:05 PM
had those games went the other way, and you combine a run in the SEC tournament, it could've possibly resulted in a high enough RPI to host. Has to considering the number of top teams you'd have to knock off to win the SEC Tourney.

CJDAWG85
05-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Add Memphis.