PDA

View Full Version : Just sat and visited with Hugh Green on my flight...

CadaverDawg
05-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Heck of a nice guy. Some of you older guys wanna chime in on him as a player. Said he committed to State and then Jackie stole him from us and he went to Pitt. Runner up for the heisman as a defensive player...impressive.

tcdog70
05-15-2014, 01:46 PM
along with Rooster Jones

dawgoneyall
05-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Wonder if he realizes he would have won the Heisman if he had gone ahead and signed with State.

Martianlander
05-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Excellent player. If we had gotten him along with the rest of our defense-Tyrone Keys, etc, it could have really been something special.
I believe he played on Pitt's one loss team. Lost to Florida State if I remember correctly in a close game. If they had won that, they would have probably been national champs.
The story goes (don't know if this was true) that Jackie was actually scouting another player, and Hugh Green was making most of the tackles and Jackie wound up offering him.

Todd4State
05-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Hugh Green along with Johnie Cooks? Scary.

I wonder what Emory would have done with Rooster and Haddix in the same backfield and Bond. We probably would have seen more wishbone and a little bit less wingbone because the dilemma at the time was how we could run the wishbone and still get Glen Young and Mardye McDole on the field at the same time. And that was how Bellard kind of invented the wingbone.

Dawg61
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Never saw him play but I've met him several times (is it called met after the first time?). Super nice guy and from what I've been told a phenomenal player.

mcain31
05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Natchez had a lot of players back then. I think Jackie signed 3 players from Natchez that year.

LC Dawg
05-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Green was a stud. Defense and Heisman were hardly even mentioned in the same sentence back then so him finishing second was super impressive. Rickey Jackson was his teammate all four years at Pitt if I'm not mistaken. That's a helluva linebacking corps just with those two.
I'm glad we're keeping more guys in state than we used to. It's depressing watching someone like Hugh Green show out for an out of state team.

smootness
05-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Never saw him play but I've met him several times (is it called met after the first time?).

It is if you have Alzheimer's.

drunkernhelldawg
05-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Hugh Green along with Johnie Cooks? Scary.

I wonder what Emory would have done with Rooster and Haddix in the same backfield and Bond. We probably would have seen more wishbone and a little bit less wingbone because the dilemma at the time was how we could run the wishbone and still get Glen Young and Mardye McDole on the field at the same time. And that was how Bellard kind of invented the wingbone.

That team got close to the promised land. A little more might have done it. Still headed that way, Mr. Dakota Prescott.

Martianlander
05-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Green was a stud. Defense and Heisman were hardly even mentioned in the same sentence back then so him finishing second was super impressive. Rickey Jackson was his teammate all four years at Pitt if I'm not mistaken. That's a helluva linebacking corps just with those two.
I'm glad we're keeping more guys in state than we used to. It's depressing watching someone like Hugh Green show out for an out of state team.

Yea, I forgot about Rickey Jackson. Pitt had a strong defense.

Tbaen
05-15-2014, 07:10 PM
3 from Pascagoula. He was scouting Rooster, along with every other school in the country, and discovered Hugh Green, and Pascagoula brothers Pappy and Lynn Thomas. All 3 had great careers, while Rooster never recovered from ankle injuries and never did much.

paco
05-16-2014, 06:45 AM
Hugh Green is the best defensive college player I've seen. Jackie took Hugh, Rooster Jones and Lynn Thomas. Imagine a defensive line comprised of:
DE- Tyrone Keys
DE- Hugh Green
DT- Glenn Collins
with Johnnie Cooks playing MLB.

basedog
05-16-2014, 07:24 AM
I was coaching in Natchez back in the 70's, I had a good friend who coached at North Natchez, he use to bring game films of their Friday games home and I would watch with amazement of the talent on those teams.
They had another LB who went to Pitt named Micheal Woods, James Berry a running back who went to Tn and was just unbelievable (I met Barry Switzer at a friends house who was a big Alumni when Okla was recruiting Berry, what went down that night is memorable), and also was a Fullback in High School but played at Msu as wide-out/TE, Knight, awesome talent!

mcain31
05-16-2014, 08:27 AM
I was coaching in Natchez back in the 70's, I had a good friend who coached at North Natchez, he use to bring game films of their Friday games home and I would watch with amazement of the talent on those teams.
They had another LB who went to Pitt named Micheal Woods, James Berry a running back who went to Tn and was just unbelievable (I met Barry Switzer at a friends house who was a big Alumni when Okla was recruiting Berry, what went down that night is memorable), and also was a Fullback in High School but played at Msu as wide-out/TE, Knight, awesome talent!

I played with Michael's son in high school