PDA

View Full Version : Watching Yankees Mets game frustrated me....

RougeDawg
05-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Watching those swings just pisses me off thinking about our inadequate ones. There are two very stark differences and the reason our hitters lack aNy power wHatsoever. Can any of you baseball guys point out the two glaring things out hitters hands do once the swing starts in motion? There are a few other minor things but two make a huge difference in power.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Watching those swings just pisses me off thinking about our inadequate ones. There are two very stark differences and the reason our hitters lack aNy power wHatsoever.

I'm happy that you have inadvertently discovered the difference between Major Leaguers and college players. There is a reason that college baseball, for the most part, lacks power hitters and play low scoring games. It's because most all the guys that take those "adequate swings" are drafted high out of high school or are from Latin America.

The two things are:

1. Bat speed/talent
2. Hand strength/talent

RougeDawg
05-14-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm happy that you have inadvertently discovered the difference between Major Leaguers and college players. There is a reason that college baseball, for the most part, lacks power hitters and play low scoring games. It's because most all the guys that take those "adequate swings" are drafted high out of high school or are from Latin America.

The two things are:

1. Bat speed/talent
2. Hand strength/talent

I said swing wise. It's the same type of swing for power hitting collegiate players as well. A power swing has the same mechanics on every level, but I appreciate your Smartass response. Try again next time.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 10:50 PM
They're big league hitters and our guys aren't? I know you are going to call me a smartass too, but the fact of the matter is elite power hitters are for the most part going to get picked up in the draft and paid a lot of money. And the guys that you are watching have been through college, the minors and years of professional baseball at the MLB level. Our players are essentially learning still- especially when compared to a MLB team.

It kind of reminds me last year when I was watching batting practice before the Governor's Cup and one of my friends goes "The Atlanta Braves look a lot better than our players." I told him "Since you are a Braves fan, you better hope so." We had watched the Braves exhibition game a couple of weeks prior.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2014, 10:53 PM
I said swing wise. It's the same type of swing for power hitting collegiate players as well. A power swing has the same mechanics on every level, but I appreciate your Smartass response. Try again next time.

Whatevs

Who needs coaches, maybe this will help more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Myi4NFyT1I

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm playing the Tom Emanski card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVgVZWvzT0A

RougeDawg
05-14-2014, 11:12 PM
They're big league hitters and our guys aren't? I know you are going to call me a smartass too, but the fact of the matter is elite power hitters are for the most part going to get picked up in the draft and paid a lot of money. And the guys that you are watching have been through college, the minors and years of professional baseball at the MLB level. Our players are essentially learning still- especially when compared to a MLB team.

It kind of reminds me last year when I was watching batting practice before the Governor's Cup and one of my friends goes "The Atlanta Braves look a lot better than our players." I told him "Since you are a Braves fan, you better hope so." We had watched the Braves exhibition game a couple of weeks prior.

I said the swing. If our hands did two things differently we would have dramatically more power than we do. I was just providing examples of players who had been taught the proper swing at some point and our hitters. It's real simple for those who know proper swing mechanics. Our HR output would be 3 times maybe more right now if our hitters did a couple things differently. Look at other power hitting college players. They all do what I'm talking about, and they didn't just pick it up on the sand lot. I knew some of you Smartasses would say our guys aren't big leaguers. That wasn't my post. I said hands woes what do our players not do. You don't have to make 7 figures playing baseball to know the proper swing.

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2014, 11:26 PM
I said the swing. If our hands did two things differently we would have dramatically more power than we do. I was just providing examples of players who had been taught the proper swing at some point and our hitters. It's real simple for those who know proper swing mechanics. Our HR output would be 3 times maybe more right now if our hitters did a couple things differently. Look at other power hitting college players. They all do what I'm talking about, and they didn't just pick it up on the sand lot. I knew some of you Smartasses would say our guys aren't big leaguers. That wasn't my post. I said hands woes what do our players not do. You don't have to make 7 figures playing baseball to know the proper swing.

Easy huh? Did you know that Ben Revere has over 1440 Major League ABs and has yet to hit a HR? I'm sure the Philadelphia Phillies would love to you hear your two keys to more power production.

Just curious, what are the two things?