PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
05-14-2014, 09:13 AM
It was great to see minor pitch well last night. I was quietly getting worried about him even if was just two starts.

Hopefully Teheran will get a series win against the blasted giants.

Oh and bj continues to play better. Hopefully he's gonna get even better

Goat Holder
05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
I've been forced to get back into the Braves and MLB due to our frustration and Ole Miss' success. Last night was the first night I watched a whole game in years. Pretty decent talent out there.

msstate7
05-14-2014, 09:28 AM
I've been forced to get back into the Braves and MLB due to our frustration and Ole Miss' success. Last night was the first night I watched a whole game in years. Pretty decent talent out there.

Maybe you were the good luck charm. Listen/watch today

shoeless joe
05-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Braves are what they are again it seems. Gonna be a streaky team capable of rattling off 10 W's in a row or 10 L's. They are gonna need the pitching to hold up to get any form of consistency over the course of the year but so far that has been a definite bright spot.

I have seen less games this year than I have in the last 20 but every time I watch I see BJ do something good so I'll take that as a good sign. Hopefully that will continue.

I will say that the braves have some very good young arms, the best defensive SS in the game, a highly talented defense overall, and the best 1B in the national league so they should be right there til the end. If they can get hot over an extended period...Heyward needs to get hot...they could take the east again this year.

Political Hack
05-14-2014, 12:01 PM

I've watched parts of almost every game, but only been to one this year. they've got a chance to do something special, but they'll need to be clicking on all cylinders coming down the stretch and avoid anymore injuries.

FISHDAWG
05-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Maybe you were the good luck charm. Listen/watch today

or maybe Pena is the antidote to the Uggla curse

MS_half-step
05-14-2014, 12:38 PM
The Rev started last night and has been named starter going forward

msstate7
05-14-2014, 12:48 PM
The Rev started last night and has been named starter going forward

I'm interested in how long pastornicky gets. Hopefully he does well, but I must say I'm interested in what lastella could do at this level.

War Machine Dawg
05-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Love the decision to go with Pastornicky. He's got speed to burn, and could be the type of spark plug this team needs. He's also a guy who could potentially move into the 1 hole and allow us to move J-Hey down in the lineup where he can be an RBI machine.

MS_half-step
05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
On that note, if you're ever on a date with a girl and things are going well, perhaps you get lucky and she pulls her pants down "Pastornicky"

(Say it aloud) :)

msstate7
05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Love the decision to go with Pastornicky. He's got speed to burn, and could be the type of spark plug this team needs. He's also a guy who could potentially move into the 1 hole and allow us to move J-Hey down in the lineup where he can be an RBI machine.

I definitely think Heyward needs to move down. For all the slack bj catches, he's out hitting (avg and ops) Heyward

Dawg61
05-14-2014, 01:36 PM
I definitely think Heyward needs to move down. For all the slack bj catches, he's out hitting (avg and ops) Heyward

My fantasy team is hoping Heyward moves down.

msstate7
05-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Not gonna be today. Teheran pitched his worst game ever and FG started doumit in rf.

Doumit's signing was a huge mistake. He's a dh. He can't play any position adequately except for perhaps 1b where we don't need him. FG will probably continue to play him anyway though

Political Hack
05-14-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm interested in how long pastornicky gets. Hopefully he does well, but I must say I'm interested in what lastella could do at this level.

pastornicky is already a top 25 player in the organization. Why not use your best utility guy to fill a hole? Isn't that what a utility guy does? Lastella will get his chance but I honestly wouldn't pull him up unless they're prepared to send Uggla down. Also, if he he's bumped to the shown it has contract implications.

War Machine Dawg
05-14-2014, 06:44 PM
pastornicky is already a top 25 player in the organization. Why not use your best utility guy to fill a hole? Isn't that what a utility guy does? Lastella will get his chance but I honestly wouldn't pull him up unless they're prepared to send Uggla down. Also, if he he's bumped to the shown it has contract implications.

Yep. Wait it out for a couple more weeks and avoid LaStella being a Super 2. Win-win. Plus, the Braves always wanted to keep him down as long as possible to work on some mechanical things in his swing. Unfortunately, Uggla's suckitude and disappearance of even his power have forced their hand. Of course, if Wren had a sack, he'd trade Uggla for a box of balls, money implications be damned. It's better for all parties involved to move him instead of having him sit on the bench all season.

War Machine Dawg
05-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Not gonna be today. Teheran pitched his worst game ever and FG started doumit in rf.

Doumit's signing was a huge mistake. He's a dh. He can't play any position adequately except for perhaps 1b where we don't need him. FG will probably continue to play him anyway though

I don't get the bitching about Doumit. He's fine for what he is: a corner OF/C spot starter and pinch hitter. It isn't like we spent big money to bring him in. Who takes the bump on Friday? Woody? I'll be at the Friday night game in St. Louis.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Yep. Wait it out for a couple more weeks and avoid LaStella being a Super 2. Win-win. Plus, the Braves always wanted to keep him down as long as possible to work on some mechanical things in his swing. Unfortunately, Uggla's suckitude and disappearance of even his power have forced their hand. Of course, if Wren had a sack, he'd trade Uggla for a box of balls, money implications be damned. It's better for all parties involved to move him instead of having him sit on the bench all season.

They'll probably just release Uggla.

msstate7
05-14-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't get the bitching about Doumit. He's fine for what he is: a corner OF/C spot starter and pinch hitter. It isn't like we spent big money to bring him in. Who takes the bump on Friday? Woody? I'll be at the Friday night game in St. Louis.

Santana

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 07:29 PM

You're going to get to see Lance Lynn pitch for us. You should score at least 3-5 runs.

Were you the person on twitter that asked me about St. Louis? I never got a PM from you if so.

They have a new place called Ballpark Village that they just opened by Busch Stadium that has some restaurants including a Budweiser restaurant. It also has the Cardinals Hall of Fame and Museum in it. I haven't been to that yet- but I am going to watch the Cardinals play the Yankees in a week or so. So, I really don't know what all they have. In the morning, they do tours of Busch Stadium and it's pretty cheap and it's a really good tour. They'll take you on the field, into the press box and around the ballpark.

The Arch is not far from there. It has a museum that is free and it costs I think 15 dollars to go up inside the Arch, which is interesting. Right next to the park where the Arch is located, there is a place called LeClede's Landing which has some restaurants which is also within walking distance of Busch Stadium. LeClede's Landing is where St. Louis was founded and they have the old brick roads and all of that. They have a lot of bar and grill type places at the landing more than anything. The Courthouse is where the Dred Scott Case was- and it's free too, but not really a lot to see unless you are into Civil Rights.

In the other direction about a mile away from Busch Stadium on Market St. is Union Station. It's a mall right now and it's not that big- but it does have a Landry's and a Hard Rock Caf?. The Anheuser-Busch brewery does a tour and it's really good. Plus you get free beer!

In the middle of the city is Forest Grove Park. That's where the zoo is, and then there are a couple of other museums there- the Missouri history museum, and the Art Museum. The zoo and the museums are free- but you have to pay to park. Forest Grove Park is where the World's Fair was 100 years ago- and that's where the World's Fair Pavilion is and they also have an outdoor theatre as well called the Muny.

The Hill is the Italian section of town. That's where Yogi Berra, Joe Garigiola, and Jack Buck all grew up. There are a lot of good Italian restaurants there. All of them are pretty good, and I don't have a favorite- but I did almost get kicked out of one because I wasn't dressed like I was supposed to, so you might want to check the dress code. Some are more casual than others.

I don't know a lot about the stuff for kids- but they have a Children's Museum that is supposed to be good and then there is Grant's Farm which is also supposed to be good, but I've never been because I'm a grown up.

msstate7
05-14-2014, 07:40 PM
3-5 runs is an offensive explosion for the braves.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 07:45 PM
3-5 runs is an offensive explosion for the braves.

Well, get ready to explode then. Lynn gets some of the best run support in baseball when he pitches though. That's why his record isn't God awful.

Forrest4Moore
05-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the detailed info, Todd. I asked you late Sunday night as I was planning the trip. Just going for the weekend. Thinking that we're gonna leave Memphis Friday night and stay in Sikeston after eating at Lambert's just to cut a few hours off the drive Saturday morning. Gonna try to get to Busch in time to watch BP. Game should end before 5 giving us some daylight to walk over to the arch and check out the Landing area. We're staying over near Forest Grove. I obviously want to go to the ball game on Sunday, too, but the better half will probably want to do the zoo or the Busch Brewery Tour (I'd enjoy the beer tour, too). She also wants to stop at some famous custard place. Just don't know what all we'll have time for.

Would it be possible to take the Busch Brewery tour after the game on Saturday? Game won't end til near 5 and I couldn't really find anything on how long the Tour lasts. I figure the zoo is a whole day thing so that would kill my Sunday baseball game if I give in to that. Was hoping to squeeze in the brewery tour before or after one of the games.

War Machine Dawg
05-14-2014, 11:18 PM
You're going to get to see Lance Lynn pitch for us. You should score at least 3-5 runs.

Were you the person on twitter that asked me about St. Louis? I never got a PM from you if so.

They have a new place called Ballpark Village that they just opened by Busch Stadium that has some restaurants including a Budweiser restaurant. It also has the Cardinals Hall of Fame and Museum in it. I haven't been to that yet- but I am going to watch the Cardinals play the Yankees in a week or so. So, I really don't know what all they have. In the morning, they do tours of Busch Stadium and it's pretty cheap and it's a really good tour. They'll take you on the field, into the press box and around the ballpark.

The Arch is not far from there. It has a museum that is free and it costs I think 15 dollars to go up inside the Arch, which is interesting. Right next to the park where the Arch is located, there is a place called LeClede's Landing which has some restaurants which is also within walking distance of Busch Stadium. LeClede's Landing is where St. Louis was founded and they have the old brick roads and all of that. They have a lot of bar and grill type places at the landing more than anything. The Courthouse is where the Dred Scott Case was- and it's free too, but not really a lot to see unless you are into Civil Rights.

In the other direction about a mile away from Busch Stadium on Market St. is Union Station. It's a mall right now and it's not that big- but it does have a Landry's and a Hard Rock Caf?. The Anheuser-Busch brewery does a tour and it's really good. Plus you get free beer!

In the middle of the city is Forest Grove Park. That's where the zoo is, and then there are a couple of other museums there- the Missouri history museum, and the Art Museum. The zoo and the museums are free- but you have to pay to park. Forest Grove Park is where the World's Fair was 100 years ago- and that's where the World's Fair Pavilion is and they also have an outdoor theatre as well called the Muny.

The Hill is the Italian section of town. That's where Yogi Berra, Joe Garigiola, and Jack Buck all grew up. There are a lot of good Italian restaurants there. All of them are pretty good, and I don't have a favorite- but I did almost get kicked out of one because I wasn't dressed like I was supposed to, so you might want to check the dress code. Some are more casual than others.

I don't know a lot about the stuff for kids- but they have a Children's Museum that is supposed to be good and then there is Grant's Farm which is also supposed to be good, but I've never been because I'm a grown up.

Nah, that wasn't me on Twitter. But thanks for the rundown on StL! I'll probably be doing good to make it there by 6ish, so I'll be heading straight in to the game on Friday night. Definitely plan to hit up the Arch and Grant Farms on Saturday, though. I want to see the Clydesdales. You definitely gave me some extra options for Saturday/Sunday, though. Wish I'd known about the Busch Stadium tours earlier. Who knows, maybe I could swing that on Saturday morning.

I'm actually pretty excited to see a Santana-Lynn matchup. But honestly, I'm worried which Braves team will show up, especially coming back east after a set on the Left Coast with SF.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the detailed info, Todd. I asked you late Sunday night as I was planning the trip. Just going for the weekend. Thinking that we're gonna leave Memphis Friday night and stay in Sikeston after eating at Lambert's just to cut a few hours off the drive Saturday morning. Gonna try to get to Busch in time to watch BP. Game should end before 5 giving us some daylight to walk over to the arch and check out the Landing area. We're staying over near Forest Grove. I obviously want to go to the ball game on Sunday, too, but the better half will probably want to do the zoo or the Busch Brewery Tour (I'd enjoy the beer tour, too). She also wants to stop at some famous custard place. Just don't know what all we'll have time for.

Would it be possible to take the Busch Brewery tour after the game on Saturday? Game won't end til near 5 and I couldn't really find anything on how long the Tour lasts. I figure the zoo is a whole day thing so that would kill my Sunday baseball game if I give in to that. Was hoping to squeeze in the brewery tour before or after one of the games.

They open the gates to Busch Stadium two hours before game time, so unless the weather is bad, you should see the Braves taking BP.

If you are staying at Forest Grove, you are either going to have to drive to the game and park in one of the garages- and that can run you about 20-30 dollars to park. Or you are going to have to take the MetroLink which is a public transportation system like a train. If it were me, I'd take the car because the MetroLink doesn't run all day. It would give you more flexibility.

The custard place that your wife is talking about is probably Ted Drewe's Famous Frozen Custard. There are a couple of them- but the original one is on Chippewa Dr. but I couldn't tell you how to get there because it's off the beaten path in a neighborhood I don't know. Ballpark Village was supposed to have a Ted Drewe's in it, but again I don't know exactly what all they have over there. So it may or may not be there- or it may be coming in the future. I really don't know.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Nah, that wasn't me on Twitter. But thanks for the rundown on StL! I'll probably be doing good to make it there by 6ish, so I'll be heading straight in to the game on Friday night. Definitely plan to hit up the Arch and Grant Farms on Saturday, though. I want to see the Clydesdales. You definitely gave me some extra options for Saturday/Sunday, though. Wish I'd known about the Busch Stadium tours earlier. Who knows, maybe I could swing that on Saturday morning.

I'm actually pretty excited to see a Santana-Lynn matchup. But honestly, I'm worried which Braves team will show up, especially coming back east after a set on the Left Coast with SF.

Now is the time to play the Cardinals. They are struggling at the plate and the GM has all but said that they are going to have to make a trade to fix it most likely. Oscar Taveras is stuck in Memphis until his super 2 status passes. A lot of people are speculating that they are going to try to trade either Allen Craig or Matt Adams so that they can use Taveras in RF. My guess is they will likely trade Adams because of the money they have invested in Craig.

Dawg61
05-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Now is the time to play the Cardinals. They are struggling at the plate and the GM has all but said that they are going to have to make a trade to fix it most likely. Oscar Taveras is stuck in Memphis until his super 2 status passes. A lot of people are speculating that they are going to try to trade either Allen Craig or Matt Adams so that they can use Taveras in RF. My guess is they will likely trade Adams because of the money they have invested in Craig.

Oh man please let the Giants get Adams. He is a stud hitter that I get the feeling the Cards are frustrated with and want to run out of town already. So many teams will be drooling to get Adams. That'd be a dumb move for y'all imo.

Todd4State
05-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Oh man please let the Giants get Adams. He is a stud hitter that I get the feeling the Cards are frustrated with and want to run out of town already. So many teams will be drooling to get Adams. That'd be a dumb move for y'all imo.

It's not frustration so much as trying to get the team better and understanding that to get better you have to give up something good. Adams is hitting over .300 right now, so it's not like people are upset with him.

But like I said, the Cardinals have Craig/Adams and then Taveras who they feel is a corner outfielder. So, three talented players for two spots because Holliday is not going anywhere and none of those three are options at third base. I suspect that the Cardinals are looking for either a CF that can hit, or an infielder with some power.

ClancyDawg
05-15-2014, 06:56 AM
I suspect that the Cardinals are looking for either a CF that can hit, or an infielder with some power.

That's pretty much every team. I think if they go on another losing skid they'll have to bite the bullet and pull up Oscar as a CF. They've been worried about the wrong things and hurting feelings (see Kelly over Martinez earlier in the rotation)

Dawg61
05-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Sometimes you just have shit years. Cards shouldn't panic and trade off younger talent. Giants sucked last year. Maybe it's just that year for the Cards. What's up with Rosenthal btw? He seems shaky in the 9th. They giving Motte the job back soon?