PDA

View Full Version : Chason Virgil - QB

Big4Dawg
05-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Paul said that Chason Virgil named Statewas his leader, followed by Florida and Colorado.

http://247sports.com/Player/Chason-Virgil-19627

Martianlander
05-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Obviously a good QB, but when they indicate pro style, does that mean he can't run? Serious question-QB needs to be able to run in our offense.

Big4Dawg
05-13-2014, 07:31 PM
He runs a 4.58 so i would guess.

msstate7
05-13-2014, 07:35 PM
170 lbs... Hopefully he can carry more weight. Not sure how effective a light, fast qb will do for us

GreenheadDawg
05-13-2014, 07:46 PM
I'll trust Mullen on his QB evaluation. If he thinks he is good enough for a scholarship then he must be. I found a little bit of video on him and he is really athletic.

BeastMan
05-13-2014, 08:09 PM
From the 3rdAnd57 mega post on Virgil:

"Chason Virgil (3-star) Mesquite, TX 6’2 179 Highlights Really nice feet are his biggest asset. Very good athlete with a smooth release. Will need a few years to get his body ready physically. "

Link> http://3rdand57.com/msu-recruiting-2015-mega-post/

CadaverDawg
05-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Brian Johnson doin work...I like to see that this early in his tenure

BeastMan
05-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Brian Johnson doin work...I like to see that this early in his tenure

Hammer meet nail

msstate7
05-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Will we take 2 more qb's this year or will it be first to commit?

BeastMan
05-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Will we take 2 more qb's this year or will it be first to commit?

We could take 2 again as long as 1 could play another position. If we are in the commanding lead for Virgil and Tiano, tells me where we stand with JMar....

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 10:31 PM
My impression reading between the lines is they want J'Mar to commit now.

BeastMan
05-13-2014, 10:45 PM
My impression reading between the lines is they want J'Mar to commit now.

I don't get that at all. I think I'm seeing that J'Mar loves baseball. You may be right. I'm just saying how I'm reading it.

ETA- I think we'd take any of their commitments right now. I'm thinking it's a first come, first serve situation

msstate7
05-13-2014, 11:00 PM
If you judge these two on offers alone, Virgil blows smith away. I don't care which one, but I want one of these two

BeastMan
05-13-2014, 11:22 PM
If you judge these two on offers alone, Virgil blows smith away. I don't care which one, but I want one of these two

I agree although I lean toward Virgil pretty hard. Would be fine with Smith though

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 11:39 PM
I don't get that at all. I think I'm seeing that J'Mar loves baseball. You may be right. I'm just saying how I'm reading it.

ETA- I think we'd take any of their commitments right now. I'm thinking it's a first come, first serve situation

I probably didn't make myself very clear. I meant that if J'Mar wants to come to MSU, they want him to commit now. Or they're going to take someone else- like you said first come, first serve. They want to get a QB in the fold.

If I was J'Mar, I would go with football. I think his main baseball offer right now is from West Florida. If he wants to play both football/baseball- MSU is the place for him to go with Dan and Cohen's friendship. Saban is, well- football or go somewhere else.

jumbo
05-14-2014, 12:32 AM
Obviously a good QB, but when they indicate pro style, does that mean he can't run? Serious question-QB needs to be able to run in our offense.

Not at all. It's more based on the style offense the HS runs but unfortunately people see pro style and think that means a non-mobile statue of a QB.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 12:53 AM
Not at all. It's more based on the style offense the HS runs but unfortunately people see pro style and think that means a non-mobile statue of a QB.

We as fans sometimes tend to forget that these recruiting experts are not necessarily "football people". I think sometimes the determination comes from the reporter when they ask the QB- "what's your style"- and I think sometimes these kids label themselves as something that they really aren't. And I think sometimes these reporters truly can't tell the difference. If you asked them- they might say "well, Cam Newton and RG III are in the pros- so therefore this guy is a pro-style QB."

And some of it is probably propaganda too- I noticed the Texas reporter was the guy that covered him some. He might have labeled him "pro-style" to appease some of their fans should they get him.

In other words- watch the video and more than likely you can figure out what they really are.

dawgs
05-14-2014, 01:35 AM
I take a QB out of Texas over a QB from any other state. They all sling it in HS and consistently put out QBs that put up big numbers in CFB and a pretty high % of NFL QBs played HS football in Texas.

SignalToNoise
05-14-2014, 08:41 AM
170 lbs... Hopefully he can carry more weight. Not sure how effective a light, fast qb will do for us

If he is willing to put in the time and effort then our S&C program will put some muscle on him. No need to worry about that.

FISHDAWG
05-14-2014, 09:00 AM
We could take 2 again as long as 1 could play another position. If we are in the commanding lead for Virgil and Tiano, tells me where we stand with JMar....

just ask Cam Lawrence, B-Mac, Jamieon Lewis .... thing is - usually a good QB = good all around athlete

Covercorner2
05-14-2014, 09:03 AM
FWIW, Virgil is listed as a "Dual Threat" QB on Rivals...

Pollodawg
05-14-2014, 09:24 AM
I agree with the post about Texas QBs. They almost always work out with a little coaching. The offensive systems those high schools run blow ours in Mississippi away. That's why you see high school QBs from Mississippi listed more as athletes than QBs a lot of the time. They have no mechanics, and their footwork, accuracy, and pocket awareness suck.

jumbo
05-14-2014, 12:28 PM
I agree with the post about Texas QBs. They almost always work out with a little coaching. The offensive systems those high schools run blow ours in Mississippi away. That's why you see high school QBs from Mississippi listed more as athletes than QBs a lot of the time. They have no mechanics, and their footwork, accuracy, and pocket awareness suck.

Yeah it seems like a lot of MS schools just put their best athletes at QB

Pollodawg
05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Yeah it seems like a lot of MS schools just put their best athletes at QB

They do because most offense systems at these smaller, rural schools are basically some variation of the Wing-T. The QB is gonna throw it maybe 3-4 times a game. Then he's either going to hand it off or keep it on a little dive or something like that. There is no way to adequately teach any kind of fundamentals for a QB in an offense like that. Reads? What reads? They're basically gonna drop back about three steps, stand flat footed as a penguin, and lob the ball in the general direction of a TE or WR.

Similarily, there is no way for a WR to get any better either unless you want him to block, which most WR in MS excel at because its all they've ever done for the most part with the exception of the occasional reverse if the HC feels froggy.

Pollodawg
05-14-2014, 12:45 PM
If I had to pick the three best QBs to come out of MS in the modern era, I would have to say Tyler Russell (from a pure mechanics/throwing motion standpoint), Jason Campbell, and Austin Davis. Campbell could have been a beast in Mullen's system. He was huge with deceptive speed and a good arm.

I know it's no in vogue to give TR any props, but as a pure pocket passer, he's been the best to come out of this state in a while. If he had durability and been a little more athletic, he would have done much better here. The offense did him no favors, but being unable to stay healthy didn't help either.