PDA

View Full Version : Just putting this out there since it's a possible regional site we could go to

BulldogBear
05-13-2014, 05:45 PM
NCAA is considering this for a host site?

http://www.ragincajuns.com/sports/2012/8/14/TigueMooreField.aspx

When they could have this?

Whatever happened to having the #1 seed not necessarily being the regional host? Did #2 or #3 as host school go out along with the 6 school regionals when NCAAs expanded from 48 to 64?

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 08:21 PM
They earned it. Bigger than our field by a tad. Not crazy about the all-syn-turf field, though.

RossDawg82
05-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Capacity 3755. We will take more people than that alone. It could have a home field feel

CadaverDawg
05-13-2014, 08:48 PM
NCAA is considering this for a host site?

http://www.ragincajuns.com/sports/2012/8/14/TigueMooreField.aspx

When they could have this?

Whatever happened to having the #1 seed not necessarily being the regional host? Did #2 or #3 as host school go out along with the 6 school regionals when NCAAs expanded from 48 to 64?

RaYnMan say: "what a dumb post, do you really think ULL would just let us host their Regional so our crowds will fit!!11!1"***

Seriously though, I agree BulldogBear, wish we could host it as a 2 seed, but it seems highly unlikely. We will fill it with maron and whit though if we go there.

Dawg61
05-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Sorry but something about a ton of drunk Cajun fans at their place with the best baseball team they've ever had doesn't seem as easy to me as some of y'all think.

HancockCountyDog
05-13-2014, 09:06 PM
I'm calling it now, we make a super regional.

Archive it.

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 09:13 PM
From what I've read, they fill that stadium themselves. Hard to imagine they'd let us have enough tickets to make it a pro-MSU crowd.

Dawg61
05-13-2014, 09:36 PM
From what I've read, they fill that stadium themselves. Hard to imagine they'd let us have enough tickets to make it a pro-MSU crowd.

Can they stop us from putting 500 trucks beyond the outfield wall and turning it into LFL2.0?

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Can they stop us from putting 500 trucks beyond the outfield wall and turning it into LFL2.0?

Their outfield is lined by big Pine trees.

BulldogBear
05-13-2014, 10:30 PM

That's what I was thinking. We'll just line the OF fence!

BulldogBear
05-13-2014, 10:31 PM

So we bring our climbing deerstands?

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Years ago, the NCAA decided that it wasn't fair for teams like Mississippi State to be rewarded simply because they have a large following and a lot of money. They want to reward teams for on the field performance. Ironically, these are the same people that supported the bowl system in football for years and years.

A host has been the two seed in the past, but it has been a while since it has happened and I would consider it VERY unusual. One thing that has happened before- let's say a school doesn't have a suitable field and plays at the equivalent of a high school field. What the NCAA has done in the past is move the regional to a nearby minor league ballpark- meaning that they will do that before they give a 2 seed a host. So, using ULL as an example- if the NCAA for some reason decided their field wasn't suitable, they would likely move the regional to New Orleans to Zephyr if I had to guess- possibly even Baton Rouge if LSU isn't hosting. And I only remember that happening once- Coastal Carolina hosted and they moved the regional to Myrtle Beach And no- the team there is not called the Mer Men.

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 10:41 PM

Apparently someone in Lafayette had some potential foresight. Hud?

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Capacity 3755. We will take more people than that alone. It could have a home field feel

It sounds like they draw pretty well. But we could definitely make ourselves known- maybe 30/70 or even 40/60 MSU fans?

It would be good for us in a way because the announcers on TV would talk about it. Plus, I love recruiting Louisiana. Best kept secret in the country as far as baseball talent goes. We're not going to beat LSU very often- although we did for Chase Vallot and Kale Breaux- but we can still get 1-2 quality players there easily.

ScottH
05-13-2014, 10:48 PM
LaLa will be closest option.

Houston/Rice, TCU and FSU are fairly similar distances.

Austin I guess is next

Past that I don't feel like Mapquesting.

Just please no UVA. That was a pain in the ass to get to by plane last year.

MsStateBaseball
05-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Used to be all NCAA cared about was making the most money.

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Used to be all NCAA cared about was making the most money.

Now it's about:

1. Making sure LSU has the easiest possible path to Omaha.
2. Trying to "fair" to Northern schools.
3. Pretending to make the Big 10 into a viable baseball conference.
4. Trying to get a Cinderella team to Omaha.

messageboardsuperhero
05-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Now it's about:

1. Making sure LSU has the easiest possible path to Omaha.
2. Trying to "fair" to Northern schools.
3. Pretending to make the Big 10 into a viable baseball conference.
4. Trying to get a Cinderella team to Omaha.

The SEC waived the Sunday curfew rule this past weekend for the first time ever. Why? Because LSU needed to play Bama one more time to bolster their hosting resume. Mainieri probably called Slive in tears telling him it "wasn't fair."

The way everyone bows down to that team is sickening. I really wish we would've beat them this year...

MarketingBully01
05-14-2014, 12:19 AM
The SEC waived the Sunday curfew rule this past weekend for the first time ever. Why? Because LSU needed to play Bama one more time to bolster their hosting resume. Mainieri probably called Slive in tears telling him it "wasn't fair."

The way everyone bows down to that team is sickening. I really wish we would've beat them this year...

What I found fascinating is that in one of the regional projections this week it had LSU as the 2 seed in the ULL regional with Ole Miss paired up with that one for the Supers. It also had Louisville as a 2 seed in the Ole Miss regional. If Louisville is in Ole Miss' regional, Ole Miss won't make it out of their regional. It then had us as a 2 seed in the Florida State regional paired with the South Carolina regional. That would be tough for us to make it out of that pairing to the College World Series ourselves.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 01:06 AM

It's interesting how LSU always seems to have at least one baseball game that ends in a tie isn't it? And a lot of times that throws a wrench in the schedule where it gives LSU a 1/2 game swing.

I remember one year several years ago we played LSU in Baton Rouge when Polk was our coach and we were relatively hot at the time. We had split the series and LSU didn't have a very good Sunday starter and we would have more than likely won because whoever our guy was was clearly better. There was a threat of rain for the third game- and even though it didn't actually rain, LSU canceled the last game and they were allowed to get away with it. And if I remember correctly, not playing that game actually ended up hurting us- and helped them.

I hope we get them in the SEC Tournament or even a SR. I don't care if the SR is at Baton Rouge. I'm pissed that we got swept by them too. I like our odds based on how we are pitching right now- I think Luke Laster would be our secret weapon that we didn't have last time. We lost a game because of Ross's error and then Preston Brown had just gone down with an injury.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 01:12 AM
What I found fascinating is that in one of the regional projections this week it had LSU as the 2 seed in the ULL regional with Ole Miss paired up with that one for the Supers. It also had Louisville as a 2 seed in the Ole Miss regional. If Louisville is in Ole Miss' regional, Ole Miss won't make it out of their regional. It then had us as a 2 seed in the Florida State regional paired with the South Carolina regional. That would be tough for us to make it out of that pairing to the College World Series ourselves.

That was from Perfect Game I believe. Up to this point, there are no accurate projections because the NCAA keeps everything pretty quiet. What curmudgeon does for us is at least as accurate as what you are going to get from any reputable web site.

After this weekend and on through the SEC Tournament, we may start to hear some rumors that are somewhat accurate as far as where we will go.

Last year was sort of unusual because MSU and South Alabama kind of formed a mini-alliance where we both kind of lobbied to get each other into whichever of us hosted last year. Had we not hosted, I'm pretty sure we would have gone to Mobile as the two seed. As it was, they came to Starkville as the two. That alliance caused some rumors to surface sooner than they typically do.

Todd4State
05-14-2014, 01:18 AM
My guess as to where we would go based on our RPI- probably one of the ACC schools that is a National Seed. Our RPI being 41 right now leads me to believe that there is still a chance that we could be a three seed. Especially if we don't finish the season well.

It will probably come down to whether or not they choose to look at our bad losses or if they look at our SEC record and our 11-11 record against top 50 teams. And if we play poorly against Alabama, our top 50 record could be something used against us.

CadaverDawg
05-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Just out of curiosity...

How much do you guys think a sweep of Bama would help/hurt us compared to a lose 2/3 or get swept?

Any chance us getting swept could keep us out altogether? Would us sweeping them just give us a stronger 2 seed in a weaker Regional? I feel like whether we win 1 game or 2 is pretty insignificant this weekend, but I figured a sweep in either direction could potentially change things.

I would be worried if we got swept by Bama and lost Game 1 in the SECT.

Thoughts?

ShotgunDawg
05-14-2014, 09:03 AM
I'd love for the NCAA to send us to TCU. Good town, decent stadium, and, although, TCU probably has the best pitching staff in the country, they have an equally bad lineup.

Political Hack
05-14-2014, 09:08 AM

paging Mr. Updyke.

BulldogBear
05-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Just out of curiosity...

How much do you guys think a sweep of Bama would help/hurt us compared to a lose 2/3 or get swept?

Any chance us getting swept could keep us out altogether? Would us sweeping them just give us a stronger 2 seed in a weaker Regional? I feel like whether we win 1 game or 2 is pretty insignificant this weekend, but I figured a sweep in either direction could potentially change things.

Thoughts?

Meh. As much as that would suck, I think we're in at this point. For sure if we just win 1. I do think we have to sweep Bama to have a chance to have an unlikely chance to have very little chance to have slim chance to host a regional. With that said, if we sweep Bama AND win the SEC tournament, I think we have good chance depending on what others do and who we beat in the tournament. We'd be 40-19 with a 24-11 record vs. SEC schools and a 9 game winning streak against SEC schools. It would be hard not to pick Starkville. But we're gonna have find some kinda way to produce runs an pitch lights out for that to happen.

Martianlander
05-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Just out of curiosity...

Thoughts?
Getting swept would be terrible. Probably have to win at least two in SEC tournament if that happened. If we sweep or two out of three should put us a two seed somewhere. One out of three I believe would put us in but maybe even a 4 seed. Don't see us hosting unless we win SEC tournament, then I think that might give us a good shot.

dawgclub99
05-14-2014, 10:05 AM

Yeah and no one gave us a chance to make it out of our regionals last year. You just never know.

HSVDawg
05-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Just out of curiosity...

Thoughts?

I think getting swept knocks us down the pecking order a bit, but RPI probably won't move much since Bama has a top 25 RPI currently and it is a road series. Probably results in us getting a low 2 seed or high 3 seed depending on how we do in Hoover.

If we sweep, I think it solidifies us as a 2 seed regardless of the SEC Tourney, with a snowball's chance of hosting if we somehow also won the SEC Tourney.

I do agree that us winning one or two games this weekend probably doesn't move the needle much either way.

sandwolf
05-14-2014, 10:10 AM
When is the last time that an SEC team with a winning conference record was left out of the tournament?

CadaverDawg
05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Getting swept would be terrible. Probably have to win at least two in SEC tournament if that happened. If we sweep or two out of three should put us a two seed somewhere. One out of three I believe would put us in but maybe even a 4 seed. Don't see us hosting unless we win SEC tournament, then I think that might give us a good shot.

If we are below a 3 seed, we are at the house. A SEC team will never be a 4 seed. 4's are typically SWAC and lower tier conference champions.

Ha, could you imagine the poor saps that got MSU as their 4 seed if that were to happen?

ScoobaDawg
05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Sorry to bust your conspiracy theory but no need for a curfew this past weekend when the students are done with classes. That's the reason the curfew is a rule.

Dawg61
05-14-2014, 11:31 AM
We are already in boys. Ranked and 16-11 in the SEC has us as a lock. We're a high 2 seed right now and losing out would just drop us to a 3 seed. Let's not lose out to test my theory.

BulldogBear
05-14-2014, 01:01 PM
If we are below a 3 seed, we are at the house. A SEC team will never be a 4 seed. 4's are typically SWAC and lower tier conference champions.

Ha, could you imagine the poor saps that got MSU as their 4 seed if that were to happen?

I may be wrong (don't have a bracket to look at), but I think an SEC team was a #4 last year or the year before.

Somebody asked if an SEC school with winning SEC record had ever been left out of NCAAs. I'm guessing definitely no since expansion to 64. I'm also gonna guess unlikely even at 48 since 1990.