PDA

View Full Version : Ross Mitchell and Jacob Lindgren are up for the Ferris Trophy

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 01:19 AM
There is a fan voting segment on the MSU athletic web site. You can vote three times daily starting May 13 at 9:00 AM.

Rick Cleveland can add more if he would like too.

hhttp://csopavoting.com/ferriss

And now for my pep talk.

Historically, four MSU players have won this award- Thomas Berkery, Ed Easley, Chris Stratton, and Hunter Renfroe. Four Ole Miss players have won this award in the past as well- Stephen Head, Brian Pettway, Scott Bittle, and Drew Pomeranz.

There are also two Ole Miss players up for the award as well- Chris Ellis and Austin Bousfield.

Personally, I don't want Ole Miss to be better in anything than us - ESPECIALLY if it's baseball related. We got the lead in the Governor's Cup back from them this year. And now it's time to break the tie in the Ferris Trophy into our favor. We are the baseball school in this state, and this is another chance to prove it.

I love Ross. I love the way he competes. He comes from a baseball family like me, we're both left handed, we're both talented musicians as evidenced by my band scholarship and his rap video. So, we have a lot in common.

BUT I'm voting for Lindgren for this. Part of it is because I don't think Lindgren will be back and I do think that Ross will. Some of it is because I think Lindgren has been better statistically than Ross as well this year. Lindgren leads the SEC in ERA in SEC games only and is holding opponents to a .115 AVG.

shoeless joe
05-13-2014, 07:10 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I'd prolly go with Mitchell because it seems his move to the rotation has allowed other pitchers to flourish since he has almost the entire Saturday game covered.

bulldogcountry1
05-13-2014, 07:15 AM
That's a tough one. I'd hate to have to pick one over the other.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Everyone needs to be on the same page so votes aren't split. I agree with Todd on this...Lindgren is the best in the State.

BeardoMSU
05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Everyone needs to be on the same page so votes aren't split. I agree with Todd on this...Lindgren is the best in the State.

I agree on this 100%; we don't want to split our votes up.

messageboardsuperhero
05-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Why would UM put Chris Ellis up for this when Christian Trent has been significantly better for them since conference play started?

dickiedawg
05-13-2014, 09:47 AM
My vote is also for Lindgren. I'd love for them both to win, but that obviously can't happen.
My reasoning is that Ross will have a chance next year as well. Also, Lindgren is a Mississippian. It's a minor distinction, of course, but for a Mississippi award I'll give him the nod. Call it a tiebreaker.

dickiedawg
05-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Ross out to an early lead.

RougeDawg
05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Let's remember the Confeds will be block voting for this, if we do or not, so we need to block vote.

Lefthandersrule
05-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Gotta love those Lefty's!!

I believe the fan portion of the voting counts for 10 percent of the overall total. The coaches and writers/scouts count for the other 90 percent.

chainedup_Dawg
05-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Honestly, I think voting for Lindgren is ultimately going to split the votes anyway just because Ross Mitchell's name is more familiar to the average fan. However, I do agree that statistically Lindgren has been the better of the two but you really can't go wrong.

spudd21
05-13-2014, 11:04 AM
So is everyone voting for Lindgren? I'm slow and want to make sure I'm on the same page.

messageboardsuperhero
05-13-2014, 11:22 AM
I may be alone on this, but personally, Chris Ellis seems a little overrated to me- and I've really felt that way all year.

He's a big, right-handed power pitcher who gives up some hits and walks (.307 opponents BA and 1.66 WHIP in conference play), but he also doesn't really strike people out either (only 30 Ks in 54.2 IP in conference)- so he's putting a good many runners on base but getting out of those jams without striking people out. I'd be very interested in seeing his BABIP splits with 2 outs and runners on base, because I bet it's well below his normal BABIP...

M.Fillmore
05-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Chris Ellis seems a little overrated to me.

An overrated player from Ole Miss?! We have seen that more than a few times.

What round was Jevan Snead drafted?

preachermatt83
05-13-2014, 02:01 PM
if we wont a MSU player to win the award we better vote for Ross .

DudyDawg
05-13-2014, 02:11 PM
if we wont a MSU player to win the award we better vote for Ross .

I agree. I think if we want to win we need to vote Ross. I think lindgren is clearly better but people know and love Ross at state so I think that's the best way to win the votes

curmudgeon
05-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Don't sleep on the kid from Belhaven. He won't win the fan voting, but Belhaven is hosting a regional and if they win their game today, will have the upper hand in going to the small college World Series.

Surprised Delta State didn't have a finalist. They are #5 in Division II.

ScoobaDawg
05-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Screw having to vote via social media. No thanks.

preachermatt83
05-13-2014, 04:13 PM
I agree. I think if we want to win we need to vote Ross. I think lindgren is clearly better but people know and love Ross at state so I think that's the best way to win the votes

exactly!