PDA

View Full Version : Austin Riley

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Got the game winning double to send Desoto Central into the North Finals over Northwest Rankin tonight in a come from behind win in a loser go home situation.

They're going to play Tupelo next. Chris Garrett's brother Jason is a player that we are looking at.

And Coach34's buddy Stacy Hester has gotten Brandon into South State. I believe they are going to play Oak Grove.

In 5A, New Hope who has one of our current commitments Taylor Stafford on it will play Oxford in 5A North.

The State Championships will be at Trustmark Park again this year. I might go to some of the games depending upon my work schedule and depending on who is playing. Personally, I'd really like to watch Desoto Central and New Hope. It will also depend on if MSU is playing as well- I always will choose MSU over any high school game. The State Championships are the same week as the SEC Tournament if I am not mistaken.

messageboardsuperhero
05-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Every time I talk to someone about Riley, they say he always seems to come through in the clutch. We could sure as hell use some of that on this year's team.

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 12:58 AM
NO DOUBT. We need him now.

Reid Humphreys was like that in high school too. I saw him strike out like three times against Madison Central's Philip Irwin who was a Dandy Dozen/D-I prospect who was committed to Ole Miss and didn't make it because of grades, but was arguably the best player in that class that year. Humphreys comes up for the fourth at bat against Irwin and smacks the game winning home run off of him.

As Humphreys grows as a player, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start to see more and more of that. We've seen a little bit of that this year against Missouri where he had a game winning hit against them if I'm not mistaken.

But back to Austin Riley- he almost single handedly knocked Madison Central out of the playoffs last year with his pitching and with him hitting home runs. He also hit a couple of bombs against Clinton last year too in the playoffs. He's the best player on a loaded team in the best high school baseball league in Mississippi.

Madisonmd
05-13-2014, 04:51 AM
It was Zach Irwin, and my son tells me he is making a comeback try in JC.

shoeless joe
05-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Oxford has a kid, 10th grade, I believe that really is a studd on the mound and will most likely only get better. Of course he will prolly end up at ole miss. Barber I believe, fastball slider guy. Be interesting to see him go against new hope for the third time this year.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-13-2014, 07:57 AM
NO DOUBT. We need him now.

Reid Humphreys was like that in high school too. I saw him strike out like three times against Madison Central's Philip Irwin who was a Dandy Dozen/D-I prospect who was committed to Ole Miss and didn't make it because of grades, but was arguably the best player in that class that year. Humphreys comes up for the fourth at bat against Irwin and smacks the game winning home run off of him.

One of the farthest home runs I've ever seen. I swear it was still rising when it went over the trees behind left field

jgunn
05-13-2014, 09:01 AM
I was at the game last night and Friday as well. Riley hit the ball hard both nights. The game last night was probably the most exciting HS game I've ever been to. I'm not sure of Blaylock's clocked times, but he runs pretty damn well.

Hey Todd, did we recruit Clay Casey very hard, that kid is a STUD, would've been nice to have him.

BankerDog
05-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Hunter Smith who pitched for Northwest Rankin last night is a stud. He beat Vance Tatum last year in the playoffs. Lefty who throws 88. Guy is a competitior too. Threw 209 pitches in 4 days this for Northwest against DC.

jgunn
05-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Hunter Smith who pitched for Northwest Rankin last night is a stud. He beat Vance Tatum last year in the playoffs. Lefty who throws 88. Guy is a competitior too. Threw 209 pitches in 4 days this for Northwest against DC.

Yeah, that guy was really good. What year is he?

smootness
05-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Threw 209 pitches in 4 days this for Northwest against DC.

Good grief. And people wonder why the number of arm injuries are increasing so rapidly.

Jacksondevildog
05-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Nm
Yeah, that guy was really good. What year is he?

Jacksondevildog
05-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Irwin is down to around 165lbs. He was around 230 when he was a senior at MC.

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
I was at the game last night and Friday as well. Riley hit the ball hard both nights. The game last night was probably the most exciting HS game I've ever been to. I'm not sure of Blaylock's clocked times, but he runs pretty damn well.

Hey Todd, did we recruit Clay Casey very hard, that kid is a STUD, would've been nice to have him.

It would be nice to have him. We did offer him and recruited him, but he grew up an Ole Miss fan.

I think he will be drafted, but he still might go to school.

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 05:00 PM
It was Zach Irwin, and my son tells me he is making a comeback try in JC.

I'm pulling for him and I hope he makes it back.

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Irwin is down to around 165lbs. He was around 230 when he was a senior at MC.

That's unbelievable. I probably wouldn't recognize him if I saw him.

msstate7
05-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Good grief. And people wonder why the number of arm injuries are increasing so rapidly.

HS coaches shouldn't stretch guys that have a future out like that. To me that's very irresponsible and selfish. If the kid was asking to keep pitch, I'd be the adult and explain why I wouldn't take advantage of him regardless of results

KB21
05-14-2014, 11:53 AM
HS coaches shouldn't stretch guys that have a future out like that. To me that's very irresponsible and selfish. If the kid was asking to keep pitch, I'd be the adult and explain why I wouldn't take advantage of him regardless of results

And people wonder why there seems to be more and more Tommy John injuries to the ulnar collateral ligament these days.