PDA

View Full Version : Ref and other weather gurus

DownwardDawg
05-12-2014, 02:22 PM
What is the best weather app for keeping up with severe weather? Storm chasing should be considered a sport and MSU has a chase team! (Sports related post)

TheRef
05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
What is the best weather app for keeping up with severe weather? Storm chasing should be considered a sport and MSU has a chase team! (Sports related post)

Well that all depends on what type of phone you have. I have an iPhone and I use Radarscope for radar and AlertFM for my warnings and such

DownwardDawg
05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks. I have an iPhone. I have alert fm. I will download radar scope. I think u mentioned radar scope in one of the severe weather threads a couple weeks again. I couldn't remember.

TheRef
05-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks. I have an iPhone. I have alert fm. I will download radar scope. I think u mentioned radar scope in one of the severe weather threads a couple weeks again. I couldn't remember.

Radar Scope is your best radar app for the iPhone and well worth the small investment.

starkvegasdawg
05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
I second RadarScope. Absolutely love it. It's all I have when I storm chase solo.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Also use RadarScope. Fantastic if you are serious about weather. I don't recommend it so much for the casual observer though. I love iWeatherRadio too. Great for keeping track of alerts and warnings for different cities that you have family in or travel to a lot. When you've got family spread out everywhere and you've got a meteorology degree, you are pretty much the go to person for every single weather update on the planet. iWeatherRadio is great for that and that's what I use it for.

starkvegasdawg
05-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Also use RadarScope. Fantastic if you are serious about weather. I don't recommend it so much for the casual observer though. I love iWeatherRadio too. Great for keeping track of alerts and warnings for different cities that you have family in or travel to a lot. When you've got family spread out everywhere and you've got a meteorology degree, you are pretty much the go to person for every single weather update on the planet. iWeatherRadio is great for that and that's what I use it for.

I don't even have a met degree and I am still that person in the family. I'm just the family weather but that watched the weather channel for hours on end as a kid and self taught myself a bunch of stuff. My mom is going to try and challenge your notion of RadarScope not being for the casual weather follower. She is a widow and does not like severe weather so since she lives alone she wanted this app on her phone to have one more way to have radar and get warnings. I spent most of Mother's Day giving her a tutorial on how to use the various functions of it and which radar modes she should concentrate on. It was perfect timing as I was able to really show her hands on how severe weather looked on radar with that outbreak yesterday. Was able to go over reflectivity, velocity, and VIL for hail cores. She was really enjoying learning all that.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't even have a met degree and I am still that person in the family. I'm just the family weather but that watched the weather channel for hours on end as a kid and self taught myself a bunch of stuff. My mom is going to try and challenge your notion of RadarScope not being for the casual weather follower. She is a widow and does not like severe weather so since she lives alone she wanted this app on her phone to have one more way to have radar and get warnings. I spent most of Mother's Day giving her a tutorial on how to use the various functions of it and which radar modes she should concentrate on. It was perfect timing as I was able to really show her hands on how severe weather looked on radar with that outbreak yesterday. Was able to go over reflectivity, velocity, and VIL for hail cores. She was really enjoying learning all that.

My dad is kind of like you in that he has self taught himself that stuff and loves RadarScope. And he constantly asks me questions about NWS forecast discussions to get better informed. But I've never seen anyone without an interest in the hardcore meteorology stuff love RadarScope. Both of my grandfathers hate it and would be the people who should really like it. They are cool with Intellicast that updates every 15 minutes and has pixels the size of the counties in Nevada. I could keep RadarScope open 24/7 and just go back and forth between radar stations looking at VILs, hourly precip accumulation, HD BREF, and Echo Tops across the country.

starkvegasdawg
05-12-2014, 05:30 PM
What is an echo top? That's one thing I keep meaning to look up and never do.

TheRef
05-12-2014, 08:39 PM
What is an echo top? That's one thing I keep meaning to look up and never do.

It's the height of 56.5 DBZ I believe. I don't remember.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2014, 08:46 PM
It's the height of 56.5 DBZ I believe. I don't remember.

I believe the NWS uses 18.5 dBz but some places and sites use different numbers which can make things very confusing. It's basically the highest height at which that specific dBz is found on radar.

DownwardDawg
05-12-2014, 08:48 PM
I need a radar scope tutorial.

GrooGruxDawg
05-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Just out of curiosity what's your opinion of weather underground?

TheRef
05-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Just out of curiosity what's your opinion of weather underground?

Well you can get free ECMWF data from there. But I don't really use them. To each their own.