PDA

View Full Version : Golsen officially transfers to Auburn

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
https://twitter.com/collegefootball/status/465889687098249216

Folks, this just doesn't smell right. Why would an SEC West coach allow this when the kid could've easily transferred to Troy, UAB, or GT?

One of three things happened here:

1. I don't understand the rules

2. Golsen has OM by the balls

3. OM has the most non competitive coach in college football.

War Machine Dawg
05-12-2014, 12:18 PM
I vote Option 2.

spiritual_machine2005
05-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Ill take #2. Commits to Ole Miss out of the blue after being committed to FSU for a lonnnng time. He realized he made a bad choice based on who knows what kinda influences on their recruiting super weekend blast. I don't blame him. Hope he does well at AU except when we play them and I hope he DESTROYS the bears over rated d-line.

dogshiek
05-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Hugh Freeze does not possess a set of balls.

Original48
05-12-2014, 12:27 PM
So he is walking on? Over going to school for free? Interesting.

notsofarawaydawg
05-12-2014, 12:33 PM

Folks, this just doesn't smell right. Why would an SEC West coach allow this when the kid could've easily transferred to Troy, UAB, or GT?

4. Auburn has Hugh Freeze by the balls because of recruiting violations.

Fixed that for you.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2014, 12:35 PM
All in favor of lining Chris Jones up against Golsen's replacement say "yea"

chainedup_Dawg
05-12-2014, 12:36 PM
So he is walking on? Over going to school for free? Interesting.

After signing with OM he can probably afford it**

blacklistedbully
05-12-2014, 12:41 PM
As much as I'd like to believe this, I don't think they were worried about Golson telling on them. He'd be screwing himself at the same time.

I think it's more likely Freeze just has a really good relationship with Malzahn, and isn't concerned Golson is going to have an impact in their game versus Auburn beyond how it hurts them in every game to lose an expected starter. Yes, it hurts to lose him, but if he was going anyway, might as well be to his good buddy Malzahn. Who knows, maybe he worked it out so Malzahn owes him one.

As far as "setting precedence", he can avoid that by chalking it up to a "special circumstance", due to the kids ailing grandparent.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
As much as I'd like to believe this, I don't think they were worried about Golson telling on them. He'd be screwing himself at the same time.

I think it's more likely Freeze just has a really good relationship with Malzahn, and isn't concerned Golson is going to have an impact in their game versus Auburn beyond how it hurts them in every game to lose an expected starter. Yes, it hurts to lose him, but if he was going anyway, might as well be to his good buddy Malzahn. Who knows, maybe he worked it out so Malzahn owes him one.

As far as "setting precedence", he can avoid that by chalking it up to a "special circumstance", due to the kids ailing grandparent.

So he would prefer to let "his good buddy" receive a 4 star RT that will probably kick his ass for the next 3 years? I doubt any SEC coach is such good friends that they give them their starter who they have no depth behind. This was their 2nd best Olineman, Beaver can't be happy about it. It is different if it was going to a SEC East team that UM wouldn't play for the next 3 years which is kind of what happened to us getting Jamar Chaney from UGA.

MafiaDawg
05-12-2014, 01:14 PM
I am now dumber by having read that someone thinks he just released a potential starter to his good buddy for no reason.

DawgSaint
05-12-2014, 01:14 PM
After signing with OM he can probably afford it**

Post of the Day!

Martianlander
05-12-2014, 01:18 PM
This guy's a loose cannon. This won't be the end of the story.

MarketingBully01
05-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Interesting, going from one sleazy football program to another sleazy football program.

MarketingBully01
05-12-2014, 01:22 PM

Do you honestly believe that? And what ties do Malzhan and Freeze have that would make them good buddies? Just curious.

blacklistedbully
05-12-2014, 01:35 PM
I am now dumber by having read that someone thinks he just released a potential starter to his good buddy for no reason.

You are now considered dumber for having made this post.

As I explained before, I just don't think Golson being with Auburn is going to be a difference-maker in their game versus OM. You have to consider that Golson was going to be off their roster anyway, so the debate becomes less about how much it hurts TSUn and more about whether it hurts them more because he went to Auburn rather than some other non-SEC West school.

And this argument is not about whether he should be released, just whether it should be to Auburn. I promise you, if Auburn beats TSUN this year, or the next 3 years, it won't be because Golson makes Auburn that much better. It may make TSUN worse, but again, we're assuming here he wasn't going to play for TSUN anyway.

Are you not aware that Malzahn & Freeze have a history together? They do appear to be good friends. It truly would not surprise me if Bucky just thinks exactly as I've stated here, that Golson being at Auburn really isn't going to hurt OM more than Golson being at Georgia State. The part that hurts is him not being at TSUN. By letting this kid go to Auburn, he at least gets a rep from potential recruits that he's a "player's coach" looking out for their best interests, and he might have some kind of "arrangement" with his good buddy Gus, perhaps a quid-pro-quo down the line.

RougeDawg
05-12-2014, 01:41 PM
From what I recall, his recruitment was originally between FSU, Auburn and Bama. Then from out of nowhere OM gets one visit, after which Golson commits. You have so wonder why the other 3 programs were forgotten for a team that had finished 6th or worst in the SECWest for the last 2-3 years? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. When you use crooked unscrupulous recruiting tactics, you will have more unhappy players than normal and have very little leverage when they start making demands in cases like this. It's likely Auburn knows what went down between Golson and OM and Hugh had little to no choice but to let him go. Auburn can skate on the deal because he didn't take anything from them originaly. But we can't say the same for Bucky and his top 5 class!!! What's that class ranked now?.

blacklistedbully
05-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Do you honestly believe that? And what ties do Malzhan and Freeze have that would make them good buddies? Just curious.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/10/gus_malzahn_after_facing_frien.html
AUBURN, Alabama -- Gus Malzahn doesn't like coaching against his friends.

It was especially tough Saturday night against long-time friend Hugh Freeze, whose No. 24 Ole Miss team couldn't keep up with Malzahn's offense as Auburn picked up a 30-22 win at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"I've got a lot of respect for Hugh," Malzahn said. "He's one of the best in the business."

Malzahn and Freeze first met in the late 1990s, when the two were high school coaches in Arkansas and Tennessee, respectively. Freeze expressed interest in replacing Malzahn at Shiloh Christian (Ark.) School when Malzahn left for cross-town rival Springdale, but ultimately did not land the job.

The two later became good friends as assistant coaches at Arkansas (Malzahn) and Ole Miss (Freeze) in 2006.

Malzahn replaced Freeze as Arkansas State's coach in 2012 before being called on to lead Auburn's program last December.

The two embraced following the game Saturday.

"His team is one of the up-and-coming teams," Malzahn said. "He's done a great job with the program. I just told him good luck and he's a good friend of mine. I'm glad that game is over."

chainedup_Dawg
05-12-2014, 01:58 PM
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/10/gus_malzahn_after_facing_frien.html
AUBURN, Alabama -- Gus Malzahn doesn't like coaching against his friends.

It was especially tough Saturday night against long-time friend Hugh Freeze, whose No. 24 Ole Miss team couldn't keep up with Malzahn's offense as Auburn picked up a 30-22 win at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"I've got a lot of respect for Hugh," Malzahn said. "He's one of the best in the business."

Malzahn and Freeze first met in the late 1990s, when the two were high school coaches in Arkansas and Tennessee, respectively. Freeze expressed interest in replacing Malzahn at Shiloh Christian (Ark.) School when Malzahn left for cross-town rival Springdale, but ultimately did not land the job.

The two later became good friends as assistant coaches at Arkansas (Malzahn) and Ole Miss (Freeze) in 2006.

Malzahn replaced Freeze as Arkansas State's coach in 2012 before being called on to lead Auburn's program last December.

The two embraced following the game Saturday.

"His team is one of the up-and-coming teams," Malzahn said. "He's done a great job with the program. I just told him good luck and he's a good friend of mine. I'm glad that game is over."

That still doesn't mean he released him "just because they're good buddies". They could have BFF heart effin necklaces for all I care and still not release players to each other. There's really only two reasons to do that type of thing. Either you've got no competitive fire in you whatsoever or somebody's got you by the balls.

mic
05-12-2014, 02:00 PM
The thin OL just became thinner ...

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2014, 02:01 PM
You are now considered dumber for having made this post.

As I explained before, I just don't think Golson being with Auburn is going to be a difference-maker in their game versus OM. You have to consider that Golson was going to be off their roster anyway, so the debate becomes less about how much it hurts TSUn and more about whether it hurts them more because he went to Auburn rather than some other non-SEC West school.

And this argument is not about whether he should be released, just whether it should be to Auburn. I promise you, if Auburn beats TSUN this year, or the next 3 years, it won't be because Golson makes Auburn that much better. It may make TSUN worse, but again, we're assuming here he wasn't going to play for TSUN anyway.

Are you not aware that Malzahn & Freeze have a history together? They do appear to be good friends. It truly would not surprise me if Bucky just thinks exactly as I've stated here, that Golson being at Auburn really isn't going to hurt OM more than Golson being at Georgia State. The part that hurts is him not being at TSUN. By letting this kid go to Auburn, he at least gets a rep from potential recruits that he's a "player's coach" looking out for their best interests, and he might have some kind of "arrangement" with his good buddy Gus, perhaps a quid-pro-quo down the line.

Golson was one of the top high school Olinemen in the South and started for a SEC bowl team as a TRUE FRESHMAN. There is a reason that FSU had him committed for so long. You think we would let Chris Jones go to A&M just because Mullen and Sumlin were buddies?

spiritual_machine2005
05-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Good think they recruited a 300lb qb. Slide him over to tackle.

blacklistedbully
05-12-2014, 02:22 PM
That still doesn't mean he released him "just because they're good buddies". They could have BFF heart effin necklaces for all I care and still not release players to each other. There's really only two reasons to do that type of thing. Either you've got no competitive fire in you whatsoever or somebody's got you by the balls.

This post might've had a point had you not flat-out ignored the following part of my statement:

"and isn't concerned Golson is going to have an impact in their game versus Auburn beyond how it hurts them in every game to lose an expected starter. Yes, it hurts to lose him, but if he was going anyway, might as well be to his good buddy Malzahn. Who knows, maybe he worked it out so Malzahn owes him one."

blacklistedbully
05-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Golson was one of the top high school Olinemen in the South and started for a SEC bowl team as a TRUE FRESHMAN. There is a reason that FSU had him committed for so long. You think we would let Chris Jones go to A&M just because Mullen and Sumlin were buddies?

Do you really think it's more plausible that Golson would screw himself over by telling anyone TSUN paid him to go there? Some of you aren't considering that Golson would be in a TON of trouble for accepting an offer to go to OM if he admitted it. Do you really think it's more likely Freeze is worried his great friend Malzahn would turn him in to the NCAA if Freeze didn't give Golson permission?

As unlikely as it is that any coach would let a player go to a divisional opponent, I think the other scenarios are less likely than Freeze just making a deal with his buddy Malzahn.

RougeDawg
05-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Do you really think it's more plausible that Golson would screw himself over by telling anyone TSUN paid him to go there? Some of you aren't considering that Golson would be in a TON of trouble for accepting an offer to go to OM if he admitted it. Do you really think it's more likely Freeze is worried his great friend Malzahn would turn him in to the NCAA if Freeze didn't give Golson permission?

As unlikely as it is that any coach would let a player go to a divisional opponent, I think the other scenarios are less likely than Freeze just making a deal with his buddy Malzahn.

How would he really be screwing himself by rolling on OM and telling the truth? Recent NCAA transgressions have proven that when a player comes forward and tells the truth, they receive a slap on the wrist and the program gets the brunt of it. IE OM on probation and Golson sitting 1-4 games.

Secondly, Bucky and Malzahn have an obligation first to their team and university to WIN EVERY GAME THEY CAN. By bucky further thinning out an already paper thin OL, he is not giving his team the best chance to win any game, especially by giving him away to an interdivision rival that he will have to play 3 years. He is only making it more difficult for him to beat anyone and Auburn. There is a reason that teams only release players to teams that they will not play in the next few years.

There is not one normal thing about this release. One thing people seem to be forgetting surrounding Golson is the rumors of him being unhappy since he stepped foot on campus. One has to wonder why someone would be unhappy for so long, and why Freeze would tweet about "Commitment" when official word was out that Golson wanted out of his scholly to OM. If it were for the now known reasons, why not express them then? Why would Bucky have had such a negative response on twitter, if he truly was ok with Golson leaving his program and going to play for his "Buddy"? I don't give a shit how good of friends I am with someone I'm coaching against. I have an obligation to my players to put them in the best position to win, Period.

MarketingBully01
05-12-2014, 03:01 PM

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I was wondering the connection between the two. I thought Freeze was mainly a Mississippian that coached in Memphis. Thanks for posting the article.

blacklistedbully
05-12-2014, 03:12 PM
How would he really be screwing himself by rolling on OM and telling the truth? Recent NCAA transgressions have proven that when a player comes forward and tells the truth, they receive a slap on the wrist and the program gets the brunt of it. IE OM on probation and Golson sitting 1-4 games.

Secondly, Bucky and Malzahn have an obligation first to their team and university to WIN EVERY GAME THEY CAN. By bucky further thinning out an already paper thin OL, he is not giving his team the best chance to win any game, especially by giving him away to an interdivision rival that he will have to play 3 years. He is only making it more difficult for him to beat anyone and Auburn. There is a reason that teams only release players to teams that they will not play in the next few years.

There is not one normal thing about this release. One thing people seem to be forgetting surrounding Golson is the rumors of him being unhappy since he stepped foot on campus. One has to wonder why someone would be unhappy for so long, and why Freeze would tweet about "Commitment" when official word was out that Golson wanted out of his scholly to OM. If it were for the now known reasons, why not express them then? Why would Bucky have had such a negative response on twitter, if he truly was ok with Golson leaving his program and going to play for his "Buddy"? I don't give a shit how good of friends I am with someone I'm coaching against. I have an obligation to my players to put them in the best position to win, Period.

No way the SEC lets Golson go to any SEC team if Golson admits he accepted money from Ole Miss. And no, there is no evidence that a player coming out and admitting he took money to attend a school will get him just a 1-4 game ban. We are not talking about $100 handshakes here.

Again, you are forgetting that this argument is not about whether Freeze should release him. That argument is already assumed. Golson is leaving. The issue is his going to Auburn specifically. At Auburn, they will have a talented guy manning that position, whether it is Golson or some other guy. Golson being at Auburn will not be the reason OM loses to Auburn. Golson leaving may contribute to OM losing by hurting their o-line, but that was going to happen anyway. Freeze tried to guilt him into staying, and was probably sending a message to other players in the "commitment" thing. When Golson decided to leave anyway, it really boiled down to Freeze deciding he'd prevent the move to Auburn in favor of some other team not on their schedule, or just letting him go to AU, where Freeze can still claim it was to allow Golson to be closer to his ill grandparent. That keeps other kids from thinking they can, "take the money & run", and, given the nature of his friendship with Malzahn, may also lead to some off-the-record agreement between malzahn & Freeze that goes in Freeze's favor some other day.

It's all speculation, of course. But I just have a hard time buying that Golson is blackmailing Freeze by threatening to expose a payoff, when that exposure would land Golson in hot water as well.

Bully13
05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
No way the SEC lets Golson go to any SEC team if Golson admits he accepted money from Ole Miss. And no, there is no evidence that a player coming out and admitting he took money to attend a school will get him just a 1-4 game ban. We are not talking about $100 handshakes here.

Again, you are forgetting that this argument is not about whether Freeze should release him. That argument is already assumed. Golson is leaving. The issue is his going to Auburn specifically. At Auburn, they will have a talented guy manning that position, whether it is Golson or some other guy. Golson being at Auburn will not be the reason OM loses to Auburn. Golson leaving may contribute to OM losing by hurting their o-line, but that was going to happen anyway. Freeze tried to guilt him into staying, and was probably sending a message to other players in the "commitment" thing. When Golson decided to leave anyway, it really boiled down to Freeze deciding he'd prevent the move to Auburn in favor of some other team not on their schedule, or just letting him go to AU, where Freeze can still claim it was to allow Golson to be closer to his ill grandparent. That keeps other kids from thinking they can, "take the money & run", and, given the nature of his friendship with Malzahn, may also lead to some off-the-record agreement between malzahn & Freeze that goes in Freeze's favor some other day.

It's all speculation, of course. But I just have a hard time buying that Golson is blackmailing Freeze by threatening to expose a payoff, when that exposure would land Golson in hot water as well.

when you make the threat, you say you will spill the beans after my collegiate career is over

whatever
05-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Maybe he only has to get a release in order to be put on scholarship immediately.

My guess is he wanted to go to Auburn, OM wouldn't release him there, so he walks on and pays his own way for a year, and is then put on scholarship in 2015.

ShotgunDawg
05-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Maybe he only has to get a release in order to be put on scholarship immediately.

My guess is he wanted to go to Auburn, OM wouldn't release him there, so he walks on and pays his own way for a year, and is then put on scholarship in 2015.

I was wondering this as well. That's why my number 1 point was "I don't know the rules"

dawg27
05-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I will go with option 2

coastdoglover
05-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Me too. Option 2 probably made it possible. Golson simply told them let me go or else. They decided to let him go and save some money under the cap for this years class.

thf24
05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Me too. Option 2 probably made it possible. Golson simply told them let me go or else. They decided to let him go and save some money under the cap for this years class.

Yep, they're fine with it because it frees up that spot for them to sign a better player.**

drummerdawg
05-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Anyone know if Freeze has ever not let someone transfer to an sec school?

dawg27
05-12-2014, 06:15 PM
I agree with u 100%

solodawg
05-12-2014, 06:33 PM
I call #2 and also call bullshit on them being so good of friends to let his buddy have one of his best players..If Malzahn was really a good friend of Freeze, he should have told Golsen to get his ass back to OM and stick with his commitment..

RougeDawg
05-12-2014, 06:40 PM
I call #2 and also call bullshit on them being so good of friends to let his buddy have one of his best players..If Malzahn was really a good friend of Freeze, he should have told Golsen to get his ass back to OM and stick with his commitment..

Exactly. Blacklisted is sounding like a closet "black"listed-bear in this thread. Nothing about this transfer is normal and to attempt to spin it that way brings up questions about one trying to spin it.

chainedup_Dawg
05-12-2014, 09:34 PM
This post might've had a point had you not flat-out ignored the following part of my statement:

"and isn't concerned Golson is going to have an impact in their game versus Auburn beyond how it hurts them in every game to lose an expected starter. Yes, it hurts to lose him, but if he was going anyway, might as well be to his good buddy Malzahn. Who knows, maybe he worked it out so Malzahn owes him one."

I am really surprised by you naivety. AU already has a leg up on OM and everyone knows that. You don't help them out no matter how good of friends you are. I didn't ignore it, it just wasn't a good point. If anything, a player says he's going to leave you tell him he can go outside the SEC then unless he wants to sit out. That way, he may actually weigh his options and stay. You don't let him ho in conference, especially in division. He may not hurt them this year as far as the game between them and OM but you can't even see that far and you sure as hell can't see the next few years. Again, all if that makes that argument irrelevant.

BeardoMSU
05-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Good think they recruited a 300lb qb. Slide him over to tackle.

Na, they'll just let RK play both DE and RT. Oh, and I forgot about RB.....Just imagine the chaos that'll ensue when we see a 300lb running back lined up at right tackle; how the **** are we gonna scheme for that?!?!*****

blacklistedbully
05-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Exactly. Blacklisted is sounding like a closet "black"listed-bear in this thread. Nothing about this transfer is normal and to attempt to spin it that way brings up questions about one trying to spin it.

Screw you guys. You're all full of shit. I hate the Black Bears as much or more than anybody on this board, and love every bit of scum that's dredged up from the bottom of that barrel of moral bankruptcy known as The Plantation. But the idea that a player can blackmail a school to get his release is just too wild an assumption, far wilder than the idea that Freeze just decided to let the young man go to his buddy Malzahn. And I have already proven these guys are good friends.

And RougeDawg, show me where I ever said it was, "normal". That's right, dipshit, you can't. so you go with the Rebel tactic of insult over reason.

I am simply one who doesn't like to "cheapen" the solid anti-bear stuff by joining into "Black helicopter" shit some of you are only too quick to embrace. Has nothing to do with "spin".

For any of you calling me a closet Black Bear, you can go f#@k yourselves. Lucky for y'all you probably all have tiny dicks so you won't have to stretch your ass out too much in the attempt.

Todd4State
05-13-2014, 12:10 AM
Screw you guys. You're all full of shit. I hate the Black Bears as much or more than anybody on this board, and love every bit of scrum that's dredged up from the bottom of that barrel of moral bankruptcy known as The Plantation. But the idea that a player can blackmail a school to get his release is just too wild an assumption, far wilder than the idea that Freeze just decided to let the young man go to his buddy Freeze. And I have already proven these guys are good friends.

And RougeDawg, show me where I ever said it was, "normal". That's right, dipshit, you can't. so you go with the Rebel tactic of insult over reason.

I am simply one who doesn't like to "cheapen" the solid anti-bear stuff by joining into "Black helicopter" shit some of you are only too quick to embrace. Has nothing to do with "spin".

For any of you calling me a closet Black Bear, you can go f#@k yourselves. Lucky for y'all you probably all have tiny dicks so you won't have to stretch your ass out too much in the attempt.

Flying off the handle again I see.

Rouge- this guy is nuts and isn't right.

sandwolf
05-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Per Kellenberger, he was not given a full release. So, he will have to transfer as a walk-on, and unless the NCAA grants him a hardship waiver, he will not be eligible to play during the 2014 season. If that is true, then that kid wanted to get out of Oxford in a serious way.

Link (http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/05/12/austin-golson-auburn-transfer/8993023/)

RougeDawg
05-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Flying off the handle again I see.

Rouge- this guy is nuts and isn't right.

I'm just saying this is a mysterious situation that you hardly ever see in college sports. Thinking These two programs are pulling a buddy buddy deal is similar to two mob bosses getting together for a round of golf. On the contrary if you look at it logically, how could this deal be anythihg but sleazy when you consider the two parties involved?

Tbonewannabe
05-13-2014, 07:43 AM

I didn't say anything about Golson screwing himself over. It is just very unlikely that anyone in the SEC West will release a freshman starter who they really have no one to replace him with to another SEC West team. Do you think we would release Dak to LSU right now? That isn't really comparable since we actually have depth behind Dak and UM doesn't have anyone on campus to play RT right now. You also assume Golson won't help Auburn. He started in the toughest conference in college football as a TRUE freshman. You don't think he might get better? He was at least serviceable last year. He was also a 4 star out of high school. I don't think we have a single 4 star player on our Oline. He would start for us and we are talking about possible 10 wins.

chainedup_Dawg
05-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Screw you guys. You're all full of shit. I hate the Black Bears as much or more than anybody on this board, and love every bit of scum that's dredged up from the bottom of that barrel of moral bankruptcy known as The Plantation. But the idea that a player can blackmail a school to get his release is just too wild an assumption, far wilder than the idea that Freeze just decided to let the young man go to his buddy Malzahn. And I have already proven these guys are good friends.

Wow, psycho much? Like Daddy always said, "When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yips is the one you hit."

RougeDawg
05-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Per Kellenberger, he was not given a full release. So, he will have to transfer as a walk-on, and unless the NCAA grants him a hardship waiver, he will not be eligible to play during the 2014 season. If that is true, then that kid wanted to get out of Oxford in a serious way.

Link (http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2014/05/12/austin-golson-auburn-transfer/8993023/)

^^^This^^^. He's been unhappy there since day one and most likely sees the hand writing on the wall. He fell for the Bear crootin machine but now realizes he isn't going to win a Damn thing up there. He realized he shit the bed when he scorned the two teams who played for the crystal ball, to go play for a buck toothed snake oil salesman.

FISHDAWG
05-13-2014, 08:29 AM
the guy was gone anyway ... this way Freeze looks like the good guy in other recruits eyes ....good move on his part imo

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 08:32 AM
I didn't say anything about Golson screwing himself over. It is just very unlikely that anyone in the SEC West will release a freshman starter who they really have no one to replace him with to another SEC West team. Do you think we would release Dak to LSU right now? That isn't really comparable since we actually have depth behind Dak and UM doesn't have anyone on campus to play RT right now. You also assume Golson won't help Auburn. He started in the toughest conference in college football as a TRUE freshman. You don't think he might get better? He was at least serviceable last year. He was also a 4 star out of high school. I don't think we have a single 4 star player on our Oline. He would start for us and we are talking about possible 10 wins.

As a prerequisite to this thread, we are assuming Golson is leaving OM regardless, so it's only about the difference for Freeze to let him go to Auburn versus some other team. TSUN is going to be hurt by this whether he goes to Auburn or not. My comment about Golson not being the reason for a potential OM loss to AU has nothing to do with how good Golson may or may not be, but rather is a testament to the fact that Auburn will have enough talent to put somebody there other than Golson and still be extremely talented.

While I do think it's unusual in the extreme, as I've said repeatedly, it would also be unusual to hear of a player blackmailing a school into granting an unconditional release. That's what several of you are not getting. You're quick to attack the idea that Freeze would let him go to AU as "unusual", "unlikely", "naive", etc, etc, yet don't stop and think about how "unlikely, unusual, naive", etc it would be for what y'all are suggesting to happen.

Consider this...how many times over the decades have any of you heard a credible report that a player blackmailed their way out of a school?

Bully13
05-13-2014, 08:41 AM
looks like he had offers from AU and bamer out of high school. makes you wonder what made him fall in love with ole miss and sign with them. then you have to ask what made him change his mind. when you get a starting role on the OL as a true freshman it certainly can't be playing time. I've seen some quotes from nafoom that insist the grandparents have nothing to do with his decision and they are calling BS.

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Wow, psycho much? Like Daddy always said, "When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yips is the one you hit."

Wow, you didn't pick up on the intentionally over-the-top attempt at humor? That post was a perhaps lame attempt to mix in a bit of humor with a sincere post. The message was intended, but the embellishments were just in good fun.

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Well, I guess this dispells the idea that Golson blackmailed Freeze into an unconditional release.

thf24
05-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Well, I guess this dispells the idea that Golson blackmailed Freeze into an unconditional release.

It also dispels the idea that Freeze helped out his good buddy Malzahn.

mic
05-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Yes.. That and ZERO to do with anything about Golson leaving..

homerboy
05-13-2014, 10:26 AM
First off Huge Freeze did not release him he will have to sit out a year and pay his own way! Second the truth came out yesterday and it is that his Mom and Dad was not happpy that Tunsil was getting all of the pub and and they thought their baby should be the star of the O line and he should be the left tackle and there is no one in College football that could take Tunsil's left tackle spot away from him!!!!!!

Bully13
05-13-2014, 10:29 AM
nice knowing you homerboy.... on 2nd thought, can we keep him? lot's of fun we can have with him.....shall we vote?

FISHDAWG
05-13-2014, 10:41 AM
nice knowing you homerboy.... on 2nd thought, can we keep him? lot's of fun we can have with him.....shall we vote?

Pollodawg
05-13-2014, 10:46 AM
At any rate, this will put one hell of a bind on that O line come Fall. They can afford to have NO injuries at that position.

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Yes, it does. But offering a plausible alternative to the now-disproven theory that Golson blackmailed his way out of TSUN is not nearly the "egg-on-your-face" moment it is for those who were so sure it was, "Golson having the goods on Freeze and using it to secure his release".

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 10:53 AM
First off Huge Freeze did not release him he will have to sit out a year and pay his own way! Second the truth came out yesterday and it is that his Mom and Dad was not happpy that Tunsil was getting all of the pub and and they thought their baby should be the star of the O line and he should be the left tackle and there is no one in College football that could take Tunsil's left tackle spot away from him!!!!!!

This is OleMissGuy from rivals.com again. He posted the same garbage on Rivals. He just can't get enough of our board. #obsessedblackbear

blacklistedbully
05-13-2014, 11:00 AM

This is how homerboy put it in his rivals post under his username of, "OleMissGuy":

"He thinks he is a future NFL Left Tackle star, but has no hope of taking that job away from Laremy Tunsil at Ole MIss. Actually, he wasn't likely to play RT,either. When he played last year, it was always at guard, and he wasn't that effective.

He wants to try somewhere else because he doesn't think he will see the field at Ole Miss at LT.

Why he thinks he will just walk in and play LT for Auburn is puzzling. Gonna bench Shon Coleman?

He is very talented, but no one is going to just hand him the LT job. He will have to compete for it. The players starting at tackle for Ole Miss are clearly better, but then, Golson was a Freshman. Seems to be a rather impatient freshman, though."