PDA

View Full Version : Late night random baseball thoughts

Todd4State
05-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Good to win another SEC series and have a very legit chance at getting a bye in the SEC Tournament. We also have a chance to win the SEC West- but we are probably going to have to sweep Alabama on the road to do it. And they have a pitcher that many on here are familiar with named Spencer Turnbull who is one of the top 100 draft prospects in the country. It won't be easy.

The fact that our RPI actually dropped after winning a series over a decent Tennessee team should tell everyone what our chances of hosting are. I don't think RPI is the end all be all, but it's a very fickle formula and it can be affected by Quinnipiac beating Fordham. That's an exaggeration- but I think you get my point. What really sucks for us is when we scheduled Arizona, I guarantee you that we weren't thinking- "gee, that's an RPI 150+ team right there that we just scheduled." It shows the importance of winning those OOC games too. I think the stretch where we played LSU and Ole Miss and lost five out of those six also really hurt because we could have made up some ground there. We didn't do it, and now we have to live with the consequences.

In all the talk about offense or lack thereof and ahem...bunting....it seems like a lot of people have lost sight of the fact that our pitching has been pretty badass the last two weeks. One week after holding Auburn to one run, we followed that up with a game that we lost, but only allowed one earned run, followed that up with a 10 inning shutout 2 hitter, then we had a game where our starter who is still kind of recovering allowed three runs in the first inning- and then followed that up with 10 more shutout innings. You can't ask for much more than that. And that is why we are going to have a chance in the postseason despite not having any power and having zero people that can hit in the clutch.

Ross was great again, and now it looks like Holder has turned a new leaf and is as nasty as ever. Lindgren was outstanding as well. But Luke Laster has made a TON of strides since even a couple of weeks ago. Fitts was OK, and Ben Bracewell was very solid and kept us in the game Friday. I think we should start Laster on Saturday (game 3 since we play Thurs/Fri/Sat this week) because to me he has earned it. We have some pitchers from Alabama- and they are going to want to do well this weekend.

Our defense has been very good as well- Pirtle and Demarcus in particular- EXCEPT for one position. And I think we all know which one that is- which is catcher. I don't think we can do much about it at this point- although I thought Cody Walker did a good job and was better than Randolph. The qaundry is with Gavin Collins and all I know to do is let him DH when we usually pitch Lindgren- which is when Fitts pitches. We might have to hit the JUCO's for a catcher IF Walker doesn't step up and also if Chase Vallot doesn't show up. So we may not know anything until July. But right now, that's the only weak link that we have right now.

(Deep breath) The hitting. We do OK getting people on. We do OK putting ourselves into positions to succeed- like when we had the bases loaded and no one out. But we have an incredibly difficult time getting people in. I think a lot of it goes back to the fact that we lack power. When you have the ability to hit doubles, triples, and home runs- it changes everything. We lack that for the most part- although kudos to Wes Rea for hitting his three run home run today which saved our bacon. Even if you are a small ball team- if you can even hit a few doubles, it makes your offense better. For example- Brett Pirtle is our best hitter. He has 10 extra base hits on the SEASON. That's out of 68 hits total. Of our 468 hits as a team, only 82 have gone for extra bases. That includes non-conference play including Alcorn. I don't know what our average is with RISP, but I have a feeling it's awful. We HAVE to have someone step up- whether it's Pirtle, Rea, CT, Heck, whoever. I don't think we are necessarily a bad hitting team in terms of average- we're close to the middle of the league right now and we aren't very far off the league average, but we are NOT clutch.

And in memory of Will James- bunting. Bill James did all of his initial studies on bunting around 1984. Those are usually the ones that Will would quote, or he would use Tom Tango- another sabermetric guy. In the 80's, they all decided that bunting was bad and it became kind of a banner for sabermetrics. Well, what happened over time is they began to realize that their studies had some flaws in them and these were pointed out to them. Long story short, the new prevailing thought on bunting (2009 or so) is that bunting is a good strategy in certain situations. What happened to change the sabermetric people's minds was they started to realize that there is a difference between Barry Bonds coming up with a runner on first and no one out and between Mario Mendoza coming up in the same situation. Before they would have said that you should still hit Mendoza rather than giving away an out. Now they would likely say that bunting with Mendoza might not be a bad idea. No one thinks you should bunt with Barry Bonds.

What it comes down to with ANY team is what your personnel can and can't do. That determines a lot of your strategy. As does the game situation, the hitters that are hitting next in the order, how many outs there are, the score etc. All of those things factor in. And it's not just bunting- it goes way beyond that to stealing, hit and running, and etc. When you have a team with very little power like we do and HAS some speed- you have to manufacture runs. That's simply our best bet at scoring runs. That's not always bunting- in fact we have attempted almost twice as many stolen base attempts as we have bunts. We hit and run quite a bit as well- and we're pretty good at it. If we didn't do those things- I guarantee you it would be a LOT harder on us to score and it would not take advantage of the strengths of our current players.

As an aside- another thing that happened in the late 80's is the game started to shift to more and more power and then in the 90's steroids came into play. This happened because guys like Brady Anderson realized that they could make a ton of money hitting 50 home runs out of the leadoff spot. Also, the pitching wasn't as good in the 1990's as it is now. Now that they have cracked down on steroids and pitching has become more and more sophisticated than ever before, we may start to see more and more speed coming back into baseball. Billy Hamilton is exhibit A of this. But we'll see- I don't think we're about to enter a dead ball era either.

As far as what we are headed towards at MSU- as I have said before, I do think we will add more power based on what we are recruiting. But I also think that we are going to continue to do some of the small ball things as well, and my thought on that is also based on what we are recruiting as well. And I think that is a good thing because it should make us more well rounded on offense. We all see the issues of having a small ball team right now. The problem with having an Earl Weaver ball team is they tend to strike out a lot and can be really streaky- like the Atlanta Braves. BUT if you have a team that has both power and speed and blends it all together, it can kind of play off of each other. It gives you the ability to win a slugfest, and it also gives you the ability to win a low scoring game because you can manufacture if you have to. And actually, but balancing it all out, you put even more pressure on the other team because now when you make them pay, it's not always with a single- it may be a double or a home run.

Speaking of recruiting- Austin Riley made the UA All-American team, and this is the third recruit that we have had make that. Brandon Woodruff and Chase Vallot are the other two. Well deserved- he's a badass. Jeremy Padgett, the LHP from Florida in the 2015 class was also under consideration for the UA game so we'll see if he gets selected. Also, the pitcher that just committed- Kale Breaux has been invited to try-out for Team USA. I'm also very excited about Luke Alexander- who hit .364 this year with 3 home runs from his non-dominant side while he is trying to improve himself as a switch hitter, Jake Mangum who is one of the best bunters in the state, and Noah Hughes who is a workhorse and reminds me a lot of Kendall Graveman. Hunter Stovall is going to be a good player for us as well. Keegan James and Brant Blaylock are both good athletes and on James we'll have to figure out what he is once he gets to school. I'm excited to see what we add in July. One thing that stands out to me is how excited these players are to be committed to MSU.

We have now had three winning SEC seasons in a row- the last time that happened- 1988-1990. The other time that happened- 1983-1985. And we're just beginning.

MsStateBaseball
05-12-2014, 05:25 AM
The future is bright indeed. Our 2015 class is getting a lot of accolades. I am stunned that we don't have a couple of hot hitters right now, usually every year we have got on hot streaks. That is what carries any team, a couple of hot players. I am glad we have no more home games. Our record indicates we play better on road plus we travel great.

This year in a nutshell is we couldn't replace Frazier or Renfroe's bat. Our recruiting going forward should take care of that. What we lost? Girodo, Graveman, Frazier, Renfroe all right now in high A ball, sniffing at AA. It was tough to replace those.

BrunswickDawg
05-12-2014, 07:21 AM
What it comes down to with ANY team is what your personnel can and can't do. That determines a lot of your strategy. As does the game situation, the hitters that are hitting next in the order, how many outs there are, the score etc.

And with Cohen, just like Mullen, we never know all of the things that factor into those decisions. We never fully know who is banged up, who is having off the field issues that may impact preparation or playing time, or what gut feeling about a match up the coach has. Those things make big impacts, and honestly I think both coaches stay tight lipped on these things to protect the players - and that is a good thing. The reality is that Cohen is making decision based on the same things we see - our team has no punch, and has trouble with situation hitting so he does things to give us the best opportunities to win. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But tell me this, if he wasn't playing with these strategies and played Earl Weaver/Bobby Cox ball where would we be? You can't. All I know is we are fighting for a top 4 seed in the SEC for the first time in a long time, have the best SEC record we have had in a long time, and are going to the post season for the 4 year in a row with our 4th completely different approach to playing the game. To me, that means we are in great hands with a guy who is doing what it takes to win at a high level.

Drugdog
05-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Todd, that was an excellent write up. Well done!.
I believe we are going to get HOT soon. and i am thinking post season. I believe we are built for the post season where defence and pitching are even more important. We have started winning the close games and extra inning games.

Question: The Wood kid from Prep? I was at his dads Partners office last week( who is a big time Bulldog contributor) and he said the kid is awesome. His dad is not an UOM alum. He said they are very interested in coming to State if given the chance. Thoughts?

bulldogcountry1
05-12-2014, 09:04 AM
There are a lot of things that bother me about our hitting, but when I check my emotions, I am able to chalk most of it up to just being part of the game.

However, there is one thing that I just can't understand - How on earth do we manage to hit so many fly balls? Going into the weekend, we have to second highest fly ball/ground ball ratio in the league (1.1). Why does a team that pays in the largest park, supposedly plays small ball, and has 12 home runs total hit so many fly balls?

CadaverDawg
05-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Good stuff, Todd. Thanks

tcdog70
05-12-2014, 09:37 AM
There are a lot of things that bother me about our hitting, but when I check my emotions, I am able to chalk most of it up to just being part of the game.

However, there is one thing that I just can't understand - How on earth do we manage to hit so many fly balls? Going into the weekend, we have to second highest fly ball/ground ball ratio in the league (1.1). Why does a team that pays in the largest park, supposedly plays small ball, and has 12 home runs total hit so many fly balls?

except, when we have a man on 3td with less than 2 outs. Then we can't hit a can of corn for shit.

RTO Dawg
05-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Great job as always Todd......Vcash the man!!!

MsStateBaseball
05-12-2014, 10:20 AM
If I was head coach, the players should take off today and tomorrow to clear their head. Come back wednesday to prepare for Ala. Make them go fishing or play golf. Anything to clear their head.

Todd4State
05-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Todd, that was an excellent write up. Well done!.
I believe we are going to get HOT soon. and i am thinking post season. I believe we are built for the post season where defence and pitching are even more important. We have started winning the close games and extra inning games.

Question: The Wood kid from Prep? I was at his dads Partners office last week( who is a big time Bulldog contributor) and he said the kid is awesome. His dad is not an UOM alum. He said they are very interested in coming to State if given the chance. Thoughts?

Wood is a very good player and I would love to have him. His Mom is an Ole Miss alum and they are apparently "Ole Miss people". I think his sister goes there as well. He has another sister that goes to Georgia though.

I'm pretty sure we will recruit him, but since he is a junior in high school we can't offer him until July.

Jake Mangum is one of our best recruiters in the class- and also having Noah Hughes on the team helps as well. If he wants to stay with them, it's in our favor. But if Ole Miss offers, it could be tough.

Todd4State
05-12-2014, 01:38 PM

Some of that is poor approach and trying to do too much.

BulldogBear
05-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Good post Todd. A little late in giving accolades to you but my phone is sophisticated enough that I can read elitedawgs threads but dinosaurish enough I can't post. Went to all 3 games this weekend but stayed with in-laws who have no computer. Holder was indeed just dirty/nasty/filthy. I sat more or less behind the plate for that one and the Friday night game. Proud of BenB Friday. Offense killed that one. Really frustrating when we have bases juiced with no outs and you're sitting there with no confidence we're gonna score. I mean you cheer and hope for the best but you kind of feel like we're up there like: "Hold on. Gonna try something. Hope this works." Those are typical last words! All this when really you just wish we had anyone you feel like you can just rely on to knock this piss out of it, so the runner can at least tag and go home so WE can go home. Pirtle has become a highlight reel and most reliable hitter. Gotta go back to work.

maroonmania
05-12-2014, 10:01 PM
(Deep breath) The hitting. We do OK getting people on. We do OK putting ourselves into positions to succeed- like when we had the bases loaded and no one out. But we have an incredibly difficult time getting people in. I think a lot of it goes back to the fact that we lack power. When you have the ability to hit doubles, triples, and home runs- it changes everything. We lack that for the most part- although kudos to Wes Rea for hitting his three run home run today which saved our bacon. Even if you are a small ball team- if you can even hit a few doubles, it makes your offense better. For example- Brett Pirtle is our best hitter. He has 10 extra base hits on the SEASON. That's out of 68 hits total. Of our 468 hits as a team, only 82 have gone for extra bases. That includes non-conference play including Alcorn. I don't know what our average is with RISP, but I have a feeling it's awful. We HAVE to have someone step up- whether it's Pirtle, Rea, CT, Heck, whoever. I don't think we are necessarily a bad hitting team in terms of average- we're close to the middle of the league right now and we aren't very far off the league average, but we are NOT clutch.

Todd, love to hear your take and overall a good writeup but a couple of things to clear up in this paragraph because our offense is still missing the clutch hitting we need with RISP and maybe you didn't see the game in detail. Yesterday, in the 12th, TN GAVE us the game with 2 errors. One throwing error put Hendo on and then another, on the bunt, put runners at 2nd and 3rd with no outs. They walked the bases loaded at that point and we only scored because their pitcher was gassed and couldn't find the strike zone so Walker walked in the tying run. Detz, with no outs, swang away on a 2-0 pitch where he probably should have taken a strike and barely got the fly ball out of the infield. Pirtle then hit a grounder to short that got a force at home. So we ended up scoring the winning run with no hits to aide the cause. As far as Rea it was great to see him finally get one out of the park and it did save our bacon but it was a 2 run homer rather than a 3 run homer. Our first run scored in the first inning where Heck walked and after the next 2 guys made outs he scored ALL the way from 1st base on a pop up lost in the sun by the TN 2nd baseman. So 2 of our 4 runs yesterday were scored with no legit hits. And that was following the Saturday game where it took 10 innings to get 1 run across and that came by singling on a ball that was beat down on the artificial surface around home that went over the 3rd baseman's head. We are not having good ABs at all with RISP and its getting to be a mental thing with our batters when they see runners on the sacks.

Todd4State
05-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Todd, love to hear your take and overall a good writeup but a couple of things to clear up in this paragraph because our offense is still missing the clutch hitting we need with RISP and maybe you didn't see the game in detail. Yesterday, in the 12th, TN GAVE us the game with 2 errors. One throwing error put Hendo on and then another, on the bunt, put runners at 2nd and 3rd with no outs. They walked the bases loaded at that point and we only scored because their pitcher was gassed and couldn't find the strike zone so Walker walked in the tying run. Detz, with no outs, swang away on a 2-0 pitch where he probably should have taken a strike and barely got the fly ball out of the infield. Pirtle then hit a grounder to short that got a force at home. So we ended up scoring the winning run with no hits to aide the cause. As far as Rea it was great to see him finally get one out of the park and it did save our bacon but it was a 2 run homer rather than a 3 run homer. Our first run scored in the first inning where Heck walked and after the next 2 guys made outs he scored ALL the way from 1st base on a pop up lost in the sun by the TN 2nd baseman. So 2 of our 4 runs yesterday were scored with no legit hits. And that was following the Saturday game where it took 10 innings to get 1 run across and that came by singling on a ball that was beat down on the artificial surface around home that went over the 3rd baseman's head. We are not having good ABs at all with RISP and its getting to be a mental thing with our batters when they see runners on the sacks.

I don't know why I wrote that it was a three run home run. My point was it saved our bacon.

No doubt we played better defense than Tennessee- and that was a big difference in the game. Also as far as their pitcher being gassed- we're further along as a program than they are and our depth on the mound gave us an advantage. That don't have anyone like Holder or Lindgren- so really it was a matter of time for them.

The Detz at bat is a good example of what I am talking about in regards to our hitters trying to do too much. It's 2-0 and as you said, they have a pitcher that is gassed. A walk is as good as a hit, fly ball, or a wild pitch. So, don't get yourself out by trying to too much.

Pirtle I can't fault too much- he hit the ball and it was right at someone.

Another thing I didn't talk about is Tennessee's catcher. They as a team have thrown out almost half of the base runners that have tried to steal against them. That pretty much took away our ability to steal. And that hurt our offense too.

But you are right that it is a mental thing with our hitters right now, and I think it simply goes back to guys trying to hit a 5 run home run when all they need is a single, a walk, or something that isn't all that spectacular- but will get the job done.