msstate7
05-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Where we stand?

messageboardsuperhero
05-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Do yourself a favor and bookmark this. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2014/rpi

SouthMsDawg
05-11-2014, 06:34 PM
We won today yet our RPI dropped 3 spots from last night.

msstate7
05-11-2014, 06:39 PM
So we take 2 outta 3 from a team with a higher rpi than ourselves and drop for the weekend? This rpi is crap

TheDogFather
05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Says the man who doesn't understand the RPI

msstate7
05-11-2014, 07:52 PM

You're right. I don't understand. We came into this series #38. Tenn was upper 20s. We won 2 out of 3 and drop 5 spots

sbcmortgageman
05-11-2014, 08:03 PM
From 247:

Starting in 2013, college baseball "RPI formula will value each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win will be valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss will count 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss will count 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games will retain the same value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest.

LC Dawg
05-11-2014, 08:27 PM
So we take 2 outta 3 from a team with a higher rpi than ourselves and drop for the weekend? This rpi is crap

I don't care how anyone explains it, I totally agree with your statement.

MetEdDawg
05-11-2014, 08:40 PM
From 247:

Starting in 2013, college baseball "RPI formula will value each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win will be valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss will count 1.3 against a team’s RPI and each road loss will count 0.7 against a team’s RPI. Neutral-site games will retain the same value of 1.0, but the committee is studying how to determine if a game should be considered a neutral-site contest.

This is idiotic. So we take 2 of 3 from Vandy at home and that ends up being worth .4 towards our RPI. But we go on the road and sweep Auburn and that is worth 3.9 towards our RPI? My god that is nuts. I'm not sure how to do it better, but there is a serious flaw in a system that says sweeping Auburn on the road is worth almost ten times to our RPI than taking 2 of 3 from Vandy at home.

LiterallyPolice
05-11-2014, 09:45 PM
This is idiotic. So we take 2 of 3 from Vandy at home and that ends up being worth .4 towards our RPI. But we go on the road and sweep Auburn and that is worth 3.9 towards our RPI? My god that is nuts. I'm not sure how to do it better, but there is a serious flaw in a system that says sweeping Auburn on the road is worth almost ten times to our RPI than taking 2 of 3 from Vandy at home.

It's is balanced out by the other components that make up a teams RPI, namely out opponents' win %, and our opponents' opponents' win %. So we get more points for playing Vandy than Auburn in these two areas.

So just speculating, we probably dropped in the rankings because our previous opponents did poorly, and those near us in the rankings did well and leap-frogged us.

ETA: I'm not saying a agree with this formula.... Just explaining how I understand it to work.

Quaoarsking
05-11-2014, 09:47 PM

You have a point, but remember that 3 games against Vandy adds a lot more to the SOS portion of the RPI (which is bigger than the W/L % portion) than 3 games against Auburn.

I totally agree that the RPI is a very poor formula for baseball. Fresno State had an RPI around 90 going into the tournament the year they won it all, but they had lot of talent and wins.

msstate7
05-11-2014, 09:53 PM
It's is balanced out by the other components that make up a teams RPI, namely out opponents' win %, and our opponents' opponents' win %. So we get more points for playing Vandy than Auburn in these two areas.

So just speculating, we probably dropped in the rankings because our previous opponents did poorly, and those near us in the rankings did well and leap-frogged us.

ETA: I'm not saying a agree with this formula.... Just explaining how I understand it to work.

Vandy took 2 out of 3 from Florida at Florida. Seems vandys series win along with our winning a series would help us.

LC Dawg
05-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I say we do like Fresno and show them what we think about rpi by winning the whole damn thing. (These are just my wishes. Let's don't have a string of replies telling me why we won't win the whole damn thing.)

mstatefan91
05-11-2014, 10:49 PM
I say we do like Fresno and show them what we think about rpi by winning the whole damn thing. (These are just my wishes. Let's don't have a string of replies telling me why we won't win the whole damn thing.)

Bro, you are totally getting ahead of yourself. Cohen doesn't understand the statistics of bunting so we will never win!!***

LC Dawg
05-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Bro, you are totally getting ahead of yourself. Cohen doesn't understand the statistics of bunting so we will never win!!***

HaHa! Exactly

Jack Lambert
05-12-2014, 01:55 PM

I bet you only think you understand it. It's crap because it is hard to understand.