PDA

View Full Version : Lineup going forward...

CadaverDawg
05-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Do you guys think Cohen will continue to shuffle the lineup all the way into the Regionals? Or will he finally settle on a RHP lineup and LHP lineup?

I feel like this is our best lineup vs RHP....(No particular order necessarily)

Bradford CF
Detz 1B
Hump DH
Collins C
Pirtle 2B
Heck SS
Cody Brown RF
Henderson LF
Britton 3B

And this vs LHP...(no particular order necessarily)

Heck SS
Detz 1B
Pirtle 2B
Collins C
Hump DH
Bradford CF
Henderson RF
Armstrong LF
Britton 3B

Basically, if we are going to put our best hitters out there, we have got to quit the Vickerson experiment and get Hump's bat in the lineup every game at DH. The only personnel change we should be making between RHP and LHP is Cody Brown....and I'd actually be fine with him starting against LHP's too, as long as Henderson isn't the one being benched. Henderson has been clutch late in the season every year for us...DA hasn't. We are so bad offensively that we don't need to gamble, go with what has worked, and that's Henderson. If you wanna swap out DA and Brown, fine.

If we need a Left handed pinch hitter late, use Vickerson. If you need a Right handed pinch hitter late, use Rea. Am I missing anything?

CadaverDawg
05-11-2014, 01:09 AM
And also...

Once post season play starts, the following guys should be the only ones to pitch for us...

Fitts
Mitchell
Lingo
Holder
Bracewell
Brown

I would almost consider starting Holder or Lindgren in a "Win or go home" situation. They are flat out filthy, and if we're going to go down, we should go down with our best on the mound.

Todd4State
05-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Vickerson pisses me off. That's all I have to say about him.

I'd like to see Wes Rea back in the lineup. He has been at least as clutch as Demarcus in the postseason if not moreso.

C- Collins, but this is complicated since he can't catch Lindgren. Maybe just DH him when Fitts starts because that's when we usually use Lindgren? That way we don't take his bat out of the lineup for Randolph.

1B- Rea/Detz. I'm OK platooning them. They share our lead in home runs, so I wouldn't mind getting both in the lineup at the same time if possible- and I sure prefer them over Vickerson.

2B- Pirtle.
3B- Britton.
SS- Heck.

Derrick Armstrong was hot at one time. Right now he's swinging at pitches over the letters.

LF- Cody.
CF- CT
RF- Demarcus- he's hitting below the Mendoza line, but he made some key defensive plays tonight.

DH- Rea/Detz. Except when we pitch Fitts as I mentioned above. If he wants to occasionally get Humphreys some at bats, that's fine with me.

Todd4State
05-11-2014, 01:42 AM
And also...

Once post season play starts, the following guys should be the only ones to pitch for us...

Fitts
Mitchell
Lingo
Holder
Bracewell
Brown

I would almost consider starting Holder or Lindgren in a "Win or go home" situation. They are flat out filthy, and if we're going to go down, we should go down with our best on the mound.

NO to Lindgren starting. He couldn't even handle starting the 7th inning of the rain delay game the next day.

I'm OK with Laster pitching some. He doesn't wow you with his stuff, but he has gotten the job done. He pretty much shut down the top hitting team in the SEC and the only way that they could get him out of the game was to dive into anything inside and let it hit them. Woodruff has been off and on- but he would be a decent option in a desperate situation. Vance Tatum would be a good LOOGY.

bulldogcountry1
05-11-2014, 08:57 AM
I think Armstrong is done. He's looked pretty awful for a couple weeks now.

I have zero confidence in Vickerson right now, but I think there is still a possibility of him making an offensive run. I just hate wasting RBI opportunities on him for the time being.

I feel like we have to ride it out with Henderson from now on. He's a senior, he's rested, and he's come through for us before. When the game is on the line, I feel much better with him at the plate than Vickerson or Armstrong. If Robson hadn't flaked out, we'd have more options in the OF, but we don't.

Original48
05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Derrick Armstrong was hot at one time. Right now he's swinging at pitches over the letters.

I put this squarely on Cohen. Armstrong was nails then all of a sudden Cohen started messing with the lineup and benched him. He was out hottest hitter then was told to have a seat. That can't help you mentally or from a consistency standpoint. Head scratching.

DawgSaint
05-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think we're going to set a lineup and stick with it. I'm not arguing, I think we should, but just don't see it happening.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2014, 10:14 AM
NO to Lindgren starting. He couldn't even handle starting the 7th inning of the rain delay game the next day.

I'm OK with Laster pitching some. He doesn't wow you with his stuff, but he has gotten the job done. He pretty much shut down the top hitting team in the SEC and the only way that they could get him out of the game was to dive into anything inside and let it hit them. Woodruff has been off and on- but he would be a decent option in a desperate situation. Vance Tatum would be a good LOOGY.

I'm a big Laster guy, but I don't want the 3rd start of his career to be in a "win or go home" Regional game. I'm not for starting Lingo or Holder unless it's that situation...and even then I'm probably starting Holder. "Win or go home", I'm putting my 2 studs on the hill... Not Laster or Woody.

MetEdDawg
05-11-2014, 10:28 AM
I agree with Armstrong losing hit hot streak because of Cohen. Kept moving him around, taking him out of the lineup, and just not keeping him in a consistent role. I also agree that anyone thinking Cohen will stick to a lineup will be disappointed.

I'll be honest, I think Cohen has run out of options right now and believes that him trying different things every game is giving us an advantage. Hell he even threw Bracewell in the DH spot to see if he could get one extra favorable lefty/righty matchup from the DH spot at some point by subbing someone in. I think smart baseball people have a tendency to overanalyze and I think Cohen is doing that. Lefty/righty matchups, numbers with RISP, bunting because baseball tells you that you should, screwing around with the DH, subbing catchers in during the 5th or 6th inning, constantly trying to change lineups and lineup positioning to see what happens. Sometimes it's best to step back, make a decision, and roll with that decision for a few games and let the cards fall where they may.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2014, 10:46 AM
I agree with Armstrong losing hit hot streak because of Cohen. Kept moving him around, taking him out of the lineup, and just not keeping him in a consistent role. I also agree that anyone thinking Cohen will stick to a lineup will be disappointed.

I'll be honest, I think Cohen has run out of options right now and believes that him trying different things every game is giving us an advantage. Hell he even threw Bracewell in the DH spot to see if he could get one extra favorable lefty/righty matchup from the DH spot at some point by subbing someone in. I think smart baseball people have a tendency to overanalyze and I think Cohen is doing that. Lefty/righty matchups, numbers with RISP, bunting because baseball tells you that you should, screwing around with the DH, subbing catchers in during the 5th or 6th inning, constantly trying to change lineups and lineup positioning to see what happens. Sometimes it's best to step back, make a decision, and roll with that decision for a few games and let the cards fall where they may.

Henderson was the same way. He led our team in hitting through the first 15 games or so, and then Cohen got cute and benched him...hasn't been the same since. You don't F with a hitter when they're hot...unless you're Johnny C.

messageboardsuperhero
05-11-2014, 11:14 AM

No he didn't. Cohen DH'd Bracewell to let him step up to the plate on senior night- then he pinch hit Armstrong (a righty) to hit against UT's right-handed starter. Cohen does a lot of questionable matchup stuff, but DHing Bracewell was not about matchups.

MetEdDawg
05-11-2014, 11:35 AM
No he didn't. Cohen DH'd Bracewell to let him step up to the plate on senior night- then he pinch hit Armstrong (a righty) to hit against UT's right-handed starter. Cohen does a lot of questionable matchup stuff, but DHing Bracewell was not about matchups.

Why not let Graveman do that last year? Or Girodo? Doesn't make sense to do it now when it's never been his philosophy before. If that is truly why he did it, ok that's fine. But why Bracewell and not any other senior pitcher that's ever come through MSU while Cohen was here?

I'm not sure if he said that was why post game or not, and even if he did, I don't buy that 100%. That may have been part of the reason, but I highly doubt that was the only reason he put Bracewell in that spot. If we are hitting pretty well next year, we can revisit this if/when Trevor Fitts is plugged into the DH spot on senior night. I highly doubt that happens.

messageboardsuperhero
05-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Why not let Graveman do that last year? Or Girodo? Doesn't make sense to do it now when it's never been his philosophy before. If that is truly why he did it, ok that's fine. But why Bracewell and not any other senior pitcher that's ever come through MSU while Cohen was here?

I'm not sure if he said that was why post game or not, and even if he did, I don't buy that 100%. That may have been part of the reason, but I highly doubt that was the only reason he put Bracewell in that spot. If we are hitting pretty well next year, we can revisit this if/when Trevor Fitts is plugged into the DH spot on senior night. I highly doubt that happens.

Were you at the game? Ben Bracewell walked up to the plate, stepped into the batter's box, then Cohen called time, subbed in Armstrong, and gave Bracewell a hug coming off the field. The entire dugout also came out and gave him a standing ovation.

Being a 5th year senior might not have been the ONLY reason Cohen DH'd Bracewell, but it certainly seemed that way from where I was sitting.

ETA: Also, it's not like Cohen has ever DH'd a pitcher like Corbin does at Vandy either. You're saying Cohen couldn't have DH'd Bracewell just because he was a senior since he's "never done that before." But he's also never used a pitcher as a DH either.

MetEdDawg
05-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Were you at the game? Ben Bracewell walked up to the plate, stepped into the batter's box, then Cohen called time, subbed in Armstrong, and gave Bracewell a hug coming off the field. The entire dugout also came out and gave him a standing ovation.

ETA: Also, it's not like Cohen has ever DH'd a pitcher like Corbin does at Vandy either. You're saying Cohen couldn't have DH'd Bracewell just because he was a senior since he's "never done that before." But he's also never used a pitcher as a DH either.

No I wasn't at the game and didn't have a chance to watch. That's why I said even if he did it to get him up to the plate, I don't buy it was 100% for Bracewell being a 5th year senior. If it was, then I'll eat that and say I was wrong and be ok with that and say I am genuinely surprised Cohen did that but very glad that he did. I'm just not convinced there wasn't some other in game advantage that also played a part in that decision. You are right in that Cohen has never done that with the DH before, so your point makes sense and I have no problem with that as an explanation for why he did it.

As an onlooker but also as an assistant high school baseball coach, I just see a lot of what looks like overanalyzing and my example with Bracewell seemed to be another example. Again, if it was purely for a senior moment, ok then. But you have to admit even with that it goes out of character for what Cohen typically does. Why not do that before this year? Why now all of a sudden is Bracewell being honored as a senior as a DH and not Girodo or Graveman? If it's a permanent change he wants to make and he does it next year and talks about it today, I'm cool with that.

I don't want to come off cynical and negative and trying to bash Cohen and say he has a bunch of hidden motives and agendas with the decisions he makes. I'm just pointing out that this is another inconsistency in a year full of them and my concern is that there have been too many and it hasn't allowed this team to get into a rhythm. Just my opinion. Could be totally off base here and if I am so be it. Just another perspective to bring to the table.

cujo
05-11-2014, 08:47 PM
I like today's starting lineup except for Armstrong. Start Cody Brown in his place and go with those players(batting order may change depending on opponent's starter) the rest of the way.

Dawgface
05-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Shuffle. A tinkerer tinkers.

War Machine Dawg
05-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Cohen will continue #Cohening and shuffle the lineup. He overmanages, it drives all of us nuts, but we might as well accept that he's going to do it. If it were up to me, the lineup would be like this:

C: Collins, Walker for Fitts & Lindy
1B: Detz (RHP)/Rea (LHP)
2B: Pirtle
SS: Heck
3B: Britton
LF: Brown
CF: CT (RHP)/Armstrong (LHP)
RF: Hendu
DH: Detz (RHP)/Hump (LHP)

We all know CT isn't even hitting .100 vs LHP. That screams platoon, so platoon him, dammit.

With the way Rea has struggled, I'd platoon him with Detz. If Rea gets hot aGAIN, give him his job back.

I WANT Hump in the lineup for his pop. Giving him ABs against LHP in a DH platoon would be ideal, but then we're taking Detz out of the lineup. But I just looked, and Detz is only batting .239 with a .345 OBP. So really, why not give Hump a shot and try to get some extra power into the lineup?

Side note: Garner is still 3rd on the team in BA. But the only guys with fewer ABs are Walker and the Canadians. WTF is Cohen's problem with him? I guess he hits too much, can't have him embarrassing our 5'9" midget slap hitters by driving doubles, homers, and getting RBIs.

Goat Holder
05-11-2014, 11:25 PM
CF: CT (RHP)/Armstrong (LHP)......
We all know CT isn't even hitting .100 vs LHP. That screams platoon, so platoon him, dammit.
Good Lord, there are still nimrods out there championing this f*cking idiotic idea? Platoon C.T. f*cking Bradford, our 4th year starting center fielder with countless clutch hits, the nickname CLUTCH TIME for f*ck's sake, our best defensive outfielder, and more experience than anybody else on the team.

Stop posting about baseball you damned retard. It's past time for you. Take your numbers, help Will James wipe his ass with them, buy a ticket for once, go to the games, then come back and form an intelligent, informed post about this baseball team. Your live stats won't die, I promise.

War Machine Dawg
05-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Good Lord, there are still nimrods out there championing this f*cking idiotic idea? Platoon C.T. f*cking Bradford, our 4th year starting center fielder with countless clutch hits, the nickname CLUTCH TIME for f*ck's sake, our best defensive outfielder, and more experience than anybody else on the team.

Stop posting about baseball you damned retard. It's past time for you. Take your numbers, help Will James wipe his ass with them, buy a ticket for once, go to the games, then come back and form an intelligent, informed post about this baseball team. Your live stats won't die, I promise.

So you're saying we SHOULDN'T platoon a guy who literally can't bat .100 against LHP? Because virtually every intelligent baseball person on the face of the earth would say that screams platoon player. And CT's D isn't significantly better than Armstrong's, dumbass. It'd be different if he were the Matthew Britton of our OF, but he isn't. We have at least 5 plus defensive outfielders. But hell, I wouldn't expect you to get all that, because you'd rather ignore numbers than and go on whatever bi-polar thought is in your head today.

Todd4State
05-11-2014, 11:49 PM
I think the issue with Garner was he had not looked very good against SEC pitching until today. He also doesn't have a defensive position, which compounds things a lot.

LiterallyPolice
05-12-2014, 12:10 AM

There are apparently a lot of folks on this board who really don't care for objective facts. I love CT. But for whatever reason he can't hit LHP. Below .100 on the season speaks for itself. I'm not saying platooning him is the cut and dry the solution..... But to act like this is the most ridiculous thing ever suggested is absolutely absurd.

mic
05-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Everyone has the line up they like, I have mine as well.
But honestly outside of Pirtle, You could basically but all the names in hat pull out 9 and roll with it..

CadaverDawg
05-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Cohen will continue #Cohening and shuffle the lineup. He overmanages, it drives all of us nuts, but we might as well accept that he's going to do it. If it were up to me, the lineup would be like this:

C: Collins, Walker for Fitts & Lindy
1B: Detz (RHP)/Rea (LHP)
LF: Brown
CF: CT (RHP)/Armstrong (LHP)
RF: Hendu
DH: Detz (RHP)/Hump (LHP)

With the way Rea has struggled, I'd platoon him with Detz. If Rea gets hot aGAIN, give him his job back.

I WANT Hump in the lineup for his pop. Giving him ABs against LHP in a DH platoon would be ideal, but then we're taking Detz out of the lineup. But I just looked, and Detz is only batting .239 with a .345 OBP. So really, why not give Hump a shot and try to get some extra power into the lineup?

Side note: Garner is still 3rd on the team in BA. But the only guys with fewer ABs are Walker and the Canadians. WTF is Cohen's problem with him? I guess he hits too much, can't have him embarrassing our 5'9" midget slap hitters by driving doubles, homers, and getting RBIs.

You have Detz playing 1B and DHing against RHP. Cohen say, "Grab a bat and warm up, Vick".

I'm ok with the idea of platooning Rea and Detz L/R...but Bradford deserves to start every game. He's one of our only clutch players even though he's not good against LHPs. Armstrong is not clutch, but Hendu is...so I agree he should start regardless.

bulldawg989
05-12-2014, 09:57 AM
I think the issue with Garner was he had not looked very good against SEC pitching until today. He also doesn't have a defensive position, which compounds things a lot.

considering the lack of production with rea, no reason he can't DH with detz at 1B. garner has the same pop hump does and he's wasting away on the bench while vickerson keeps failing at the plate.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2014, 10:02 AM
considering the lack of production with rea, no reason he can't DH with detz at 1B. garner has the same pop hump does and he's wasting away on the bench while vickerson keeps failing at the plate.

^Like^

Goat Holder
05-12-2014, 10:08 AM
No reason to DH Rea. He's our best defensive 1B. If he's in the lineup, he needs to be at 1B. Only reason that he'd be out of the lineup is because he's struggling so bad it makes it stupid to play him.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2014, 10:25 AM
No reason to DH Rea. He's our best defensive 1B. If he's in the lineup, he needs to be at 1B. Only reason that he'd be out of the lineup is because he's struggling so bad it makes it stupid to play him.

I think he was saying "DH Garner", based on his response to the Garner post...but I may be wrong. I agree about Rea, he's at 1B or on the bench IMO.

messageboardsuperhero
05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
This would be my lineup for Thursday against Turnbull (In no particular order)-

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
3B- Detz (he actually made some nice plays yesterday)
SS- Heck
DH- Garner
LF- Brown
CF- Bradford
RF- Henderson

This is really the lineup I'd stick with for the rest of the season. Walker is catching when we have someone like Lindgren pitching, and if Walker starts, I'd DH Collins. I'd sub in Britton defensively/pinch running when the situation dictates it. Humphreys would also be a prime pinch hit candidate or could DH against a lefty. Armstrong is struggling at the plate but is still a very good pinch runner- and the same goes for Vickerson. Also, this is assuming Rea has started swinging it... If he continues struggling, move Detz to 1B and put Britton at 3B.

ETA: I'd also start Britton when Ross pitches.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2014, 10:57 AM

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
SS- Heck
DH- Garner
LF- Brown
CF- Bradford
RF- Henderson

This is really the lineup I'd stick with for the rest of the season. Walker is catching when we have someone like Lindgren pitching, and if Walker starts, I'd DH Collins. I'd sub in Britton defensively/pinch running when the situation dictates it. Humphreys would also be a prime pinch hit candidate or could DH against a lefty. Armstrong is struggling at the plate but is still a very good pinch runner- and the same goes for Vickerson. Also, this is assuming Rea has started swinging it... If he continues struggling, move Detz to 1B and put Britton at 3B.

Unfortunately, Cohen will likely DH a lefty like Vickerson, or start him in the outfield. You'll probably see this...

LF: Armstrong
CF: Bradford
RF: Brown
1B: Detz
DH: Vickerson

Which is insane, by the way. But it will be 6 lefty's to face the righty!!*

bulldawg989
05-12-2014, 11:32 AM
I think he was saying "DH Garner", based on his response to the Garner post...but I may be wrong. I agree about Rea, he's at 1B or on the bench IMO.

correct cadaver - DH garner with rea on bench and detz at 1B.

MarketingBully01
05-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Do you guys think Cohen will continue to shuffle the lineup all the way into the Regionals? Or will he finally settle on a RHP lineup and LHP lineup?

I feel like this is our best lineup vs RHP....(No particular order necessarily)

Bradford CF
Detz 1B
Hump DH
Collins C
Pirtle 2B
Heck SS
Cody Brown RF
Henderson LF
Britton 3B

And this vs LHP...(no particular order necessarily)

Heck SS
Detz 1B
Pirtle 2B
Collins C
Hump DH
Bradford CF
Henderson RF
Armstrong LF
Britton 3B

Basically, if we are going to put our best hitters out there, we have got to quit the Vickerson experiment and get Hump's bat in the lineup every game at DH. The only personnel change we should be making between RHP and LHP is Cody Brown....and I'd actually be fine with him starting against LHP's too, as long as Henderson isn't the one being benched. Henderson has been clutch late in the season every year for us...DA hasn't. We are so bad offensively that we don't need to gamble, go with what has worked, and that's Henderson. If you wanna swap out DA and Brown, fine.

If we need a Left handed pinch hitter late, use Vickerson. If you need a Right handed pinch hitter late, use Rea. Am I missing anything?

I think this would be the lineup and starting pitching we need IMO to finish out the year.

1. Heck
2. Bradford
3. Pirtle
4. Collins
5. Rea
6. Humphreys
7. Brown
8. Henderson/Armstrong
9. Britton/Detz

Starter's

Fitts
Mitchell
Laster

Relievers

Lindgren
Bracewell
Holder
Woodruff??
Sexton
Tatum

I think this would give us the best chance to succeed in the post season.

War Machine Dawg
05-12-2014, 12:11 PM

C- Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Pirtle
SS- Heck
DH- Garner
LF- Brown
CF- Bradford
RF- Henderson

ETA: I'd also start Britton when Ross pitches.

Britton deserves to play every day at 3B. He's that much better defensively than anyone else. Plus, he's actually been driving the ball and getting hits the last 2 weeks. Kinda hate to say it and risk jinxing it, but it looks like he's finally starting to figure some things out offensively. But he's got an MLB quality glove. There's no way I take him out of the lineup for No Range Detz. Britton saves 2-3 runs per weekend at least.

Love Garner or Hump at DH. As I've said before, I'd platoon Rea & Detz at 1B and CT & Armstrong in CF.

War Machine Dawg
05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
There are apparently a lot of folks on this board who really don't care for objective facts. I love CT. But for whatever reason he can't hit LHP. Below .100 on the season speaks for itself. I'm not saying platooning him is the cut and dry the solution..... But to act like this is the most ridiculous thing ever suggested is absolutely absurd.

Exactly.

Goat Holder
05-12-2014, 12:56 PM
You two imbeciles have absolutely ZERO knowledge of the intangible aspect of baseball. I told you what to do already....go help Will James wipe his ass with your stats, that's all they are worth, similar to your ignorant opinions.

Do you realize that numbers don't win games?

Do you realize that Bradford is our 4th year starting CF with countless amounts of invaluable experience?

Do you realize he is our best defensive OF?

Do you realize he's one of our better hitters and overall players?

Do you realize that he's a team leader?

Do you realize that there's truth to the old baseball adage about being 'strong up the middle'? Middle being C-SS-2B-CF

Do you realize it greatly helps to have your team leaders in those middle positions?

Do you realize that we are a better team when C.T. Bradford starts for us?

Do you realize that his nickname is Clutch Time because he is a clutch hitter (and fielder)?

Do you realize that we are clutch, we win, and when we aren't, we don't?

Is any of this really even a question to ANYBODY who watches us play?

So let me tell you this again.....STOP POSTING ABOUT BASEBALL. You are under-qualified.

MarketingBully01
05-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Lol, a lot of Do you realizes in your post Goat.

Goat Holder
05-12-2014, 01:08 PM
I think we need to go all-in on defense. We aren't out-scoring anybody, so we need to give that charade up. If we're going to do anything, it'll be similar to UCLA last year. And it'll be riding the coat-tails of our seniors.

Bradford - CF
Detz - DH
Pirtle - 2B
Heck - SS
Collins - C
Brown - LF
Rea - 1B
Henderson - RF
Britton - 3B

Not much room for manipulation. Randolph, Vickerson and Armstrong are out. They, along with Garner and Humphreys, can pinch hit. I also think we can play Walker at C. Swap Rea and Collins in the lineup above, and insert Walker for Collins, there it is. Collins is a great hitter, but his average alone isn't enough to keep our clutch upperclassmen out of the lineup.

Ride it.

Goat Holder
05-12-2014, 01:11 PM
I hope, for his own sake, he does finally realize the error of his judgement. I can't even fathom why a rational MSU baseball junkie would entertain that nonsense. Not only should he start, he should have been leading off from the beginning of the year.

MarketingBully01
05-12-2014, 01:31 PM
I think we need to go all-in on defense. We aren't out-scoring anybody, so we need to give that charade up. If we're going to do anything, it'll be similar to UCLA last year. And it'll be riding the coat-tails of our seniors.

Bradford - CF
Detz - DH
Pirtle - 2B
Heck - SS
Collins - C
Brown - LF
Rea - 1B
Henderson - RF
Britton - 3B

Not much room for manipulation. Randolph, Vickerson and Armstrong are out. They, along with Garner and Humphreys, can pinch hit. I also think we can play Walker at C. Swap Rea and Collins in the lineup above, and insert Walker for Collins, there it is. Collins is a great hitter, but his average alone isn't enough to keep our clutch upperclassmen out of the lineup.

Ride it.

I could get behind that lineup but I would have Heck leading off, Bradford hitting second, put Collins in the four hole and move Detz to either fifth or sixth. I think Heck is a better lead off hitter then a clean up hitter. We do need Rea to hit more like he did on that first pitch he hit over the fence yesterday. He might warm up if he is more aggressive at the plate. We will also need Mitchell to continue to pitch like he has the last two games. I think we could make a run in the post season but I think our ceiling is a super regional. It really will depend on the pairing.

War Machine Dawg
05-12-2014, 01:55 PM
You two imbeciles have absolutely ZERO knowledge of the intangible aspect of baseball. I told you what to do already....go help Will James wipe his ass with your stats, that's all they are worth, similar to your ignorant opinions.

Do you realize that Bradford is our 4th year starting CF with countless amounts of invaluable experience?

Do you realize that there's truth to the old baseball adage about being 'strong up the middle'? Middle being C-SS-2B-CF

Do you realize it greatly helps to have your team leaders in those middle positions?

Do you realize that his nickname is Clutch Time because he is a clutch hitter (and fielder)?

So let me tell you this again.....STOP POSTING ABOUT BASEBALL. You are under-qualified.

You are an f'ing idiot. Yes, intangibles play a part. But so do numbers. And when numbers say a guy can't even hit .100 for a whole season against LHP, you platoon his ass. And aGAIN, CT may be our "best" defensive OF, but he isn't the Matthew Britton of our OF. He's fast and covers ground, but we have 5 fast OFs who can cover ground. Vick, Armstrong, Brown, Hendu, and Robson are all plus defenders. Any of them can cover ground and catch it. It's not like CT is making spectacular laser throws from the OF for assists, either, so don't bother trying to tell me he has some great arm.

BTW, his nickname doesn't mean a f'ing thing. It's a f'ing nickname. And so far as I'm concerned, the only position players we have with a set of balls are Pirtle, Collins, and Hendu. Everyone else finds ways to choke more often than not. Hell, Wes Rea is the Cap'n and Cohen benched his ass for lack of production. He's the unquestioned team leader. And you want me to believe CT is above being platooned for being unable to hit LHP when he isn't even a captain? You are the biggest dumbass in the history of MSU message boards if you really expect me to believe that load of horseshit.

Goat Holder
05-12-2014, 02:03 PM
....if you really expect me to believe that....

I don't really care what you believe. Your lack of intelligence is on display for everyone here. Good luck.

War Machine Dawg
05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't really care what you believe. Your lack of intelligence is on display for everyone here. Good luck.

Answer the f'n question: If we can bench the Captain and unquestioned team leader, why the hell can't we platoon a guy who hits less than .100 against LHP? Is CT a bigger leader than Rea? If so, why does Rea have the "C" and not CT? I call bullshit on your entire use of logic. But I've come to expect such ridiculousness for you.

BTW, what I'm asking for will never happen. Doesn't mean it shouldn't though.

LiterallyPolice
05-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Yikes. So before we move on.... I just want to be clear on where you stand:

Nicknames and old baseball adages are more important than batting average?

Goat Holder
05-12-2014, 04:04 PM
BTW, what I'm asking for will never happen. Doesn't mean it shouldn't though.

Coaches agree with me. Who agrees with you? LiterallyPolice, Rougedawg and Hoopsdawg. Congrats, chump.

War Machine Dawg
05-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Coaches agree with me. Who agrees with you? LiterallyPolice, Rougedawg and Hoopsdawg. Congrats, chump.

Still dodging the actual issue, I see.

Having the power of the lineup card doesn't make one right. But aGAIN, I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

War Machine Dawg
05-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Yikes. So before we move on.... I just want to be clear on where you stand:

Nicknames and old baseball adages are more important than batting average?

Welcome to the mind of Goat. Where hard evidence is trumped by subjective bullshit that doesn't mean a damn thing.

Willie Beane
05-12-2014, 06:30 PM
I think we need to go all-in on defense.

I feel that this is a very valid rational, and well-thought out opinion.

It is my opinion that one would have to look at the overall combined value of a player's offense and defense and choose which one was better, no? A WAR type stat. Since our hitters are not the best, players like Britton whose defense is very good probably put them in the lineup.

I also agree with WMD, whose opinions are also very reasonable and backed in fact, that CT is a liability against LHP. However, Armstrong hasn't been very good lately and there is nobody that could play CF in a platoon with the ability of CT, in my opinion. I would absolutely drop him down to around 7 in the lineup though against LHP. Some may choose to hit him 9th, but if we can get to a RHP in relief it would be good to have him come up sooner. Hopefully we can manage that by the time the 7 spot is up for the 3rd time.

I am a new poster here and value reasonable discussion and positive banter towards our program!

I seen it dawg
05-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Bye willie

CadaverDawg
05-12-2014, 07:37 PM

It is my opinion that one would have to look at the overall combined value of a player's offense and defense and choose which one was better, no? A WAR type stat. Since our hitters are not the best, players like Britton whose defense is very good probably put them in the lineup.

I also agree with WMD, whose opinions are also very reasonable and backed in fact, that CT is a liability against LHP. However, Armstrong hasn't been very good lately and there is nobody that could play CF in a platoon with the ability of CT, in my opinion. I would absolutely drop him down to around 7 in the lineup though against LHP. Some may choose to hit him 9th, but if we can get to a RHP in relief it would be good to have him come up sooner. Hopefully we can manage that by the time the 7 spot is up for the 3rd time.

I am a new poster here and value reasonable discussion and positive banter towards our program!

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110625132235/icarly/images/e/ea/Joker-Clapping.gif

State82
05-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Nice

State82
05-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Bye willie

Nicer

Todd4State
05-12-2014, 09:56 PM

SMH

Todd4State
05-12-2014, 10:04 PM

I need to see more from Garner in SEC play to come to that conclusion. Garner's double was pretty close to being caught by the Tennessee outfielder.

Wes has a history of being clutch in the postseason and improving as the year goes along. And let's not forget he hit a home run Saturday.

ClancyDawg
05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Bye willie

http://www.chicagonow.com/the-blue-streak/files/2013/07/tumblr_lqsxsvFED11r2183po1_500.gif

bulldawg989
05-13-2014, 10:01 AM
I need to see more from Garner in SEC play to come to that conclusion. Garner's double was pretty close to being caught by the Tennessee outfielder.

Wes has a history of being clutch in the postseason and improving as the year goes along. And let's not forget he hit a home run Saturday.

I wish we all would have seen more of Garner (and Hump for that matter) in SEC play but Cohen is very "Mullen-esque" in his preference for upperclassman. Not that I think our offensive struggles would have been solved by playing him more but he wouldn't have done any worse than Rea. Considering the youth movement next year seeing more SEC pitchers could have paid off.

I seen it dawg
05-13-2014, 10:40 AM
http://www.chicagonow.com/the-blue-streak/files/2013/07/tumblr_lqsxsvFED11r2183po1_500.gif

Yes Willie is.