PDA

View Full Version : Next few drafts for us

MetEdDawg
05-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I got to thinking about this on Thursday and I'm sure others have thought about it too, but I figured I would post it. We have to feel pretty good about the potential number of guys from MSU that could be in the NFL Draft the next two years.

2015 Draft: Benardrick McKinney, Jameon Lewis, Dillon Day, Preston Brown, Blaine Clausell, Matt Wells, Jamerson Love, Malcolm Johnson, Kaleb Eulls. Think Kaleb and Jamerson have some work to do, but I think the rest of those guys should get drafted somewhere.

2016 Draft: Dak Prescott, Chris Jones, Josh Robinson, Taveze Calhoun, Will Redmond, Kendrick Market, and there are a few more here that have potential that have the opportunity to show it with more PT like Ryan Brown, Nick James, Justin Malone, Clayborn (if he's Gabe Jackson good which a lot of us think he is).

Just think that we are finally pumping out some legit NFL talent now and that's going to be the big reason we start competing game in and game out on a consistent basis. We've finally got NFL talent across the board on both sides of the ball and the next few years of the draft should show that.

esplanade91
05-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I'd be surprised if we have more than one or two draft picks next season. Minus McKinney, someone is going to have to take the next step in order to be selected.

I mean I totally think all the above will get invited to camp, but I don't think anyone other than McKinney gets drafted.

Eta: Looked at the list for 16 and think the same rings true. There's a difference in a really good college player and a really good college player who can play at the next level. MSU doesn't get blue chips, but we get guys who can have the same production because of the head on their shoulders and work ethic... That doesn't cut it in the NFL.

thf24
05-10-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't think Tubby, Love, or Market will play in the NFL, as lack of size is a much bigger obstacle in the pros than college. It would be different for Tubby if he had elite speed, but I don't think agility and decent hands would make up for being 5'8" in the eyes of the scouts.

You're definitely right that we've got a ton of legit draft prospects coming up over the next few years though.

CadaverDawg
05-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I'd be surprised if we have more than one or two draft picks next season. Minus McKinney, someone is going to have to take the next step in order to be selected.

I mean I totally think all the above will get invited to camp, but I don't think anyone other than McKinney gets drafted.

Eta: Looked at the list for 16 and think the same rings true. There's a difference in a really good college player and a really good college player who can play at the next level. MSU doesn't get blue chips, but we get guys who can have the same production because of the head on their shoulders and work ethic... That doesn't cut it in the NFL.

I disagree. Matt Wells will be drafted. He is WAYYY better than even most of our own fans realize

Political Hack
05-10-2014, 05:34 PM
B-Mac, Clausell, MoJo, & Wells should be drafted next year. The rest are question marks.

B-Mac and Wells could be top 3 round guys.

esplanade91
05-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Correct. So 2.

Rayburn8
05-10-2014, 06:14 PM
If cj continues to improve he could most defintally be top ten maybe top five.

smootness
05-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't think Malcolm Johnson will be drafted. He's way undersized for what NFL teams want at TE.

Out of the groups listed, I see McKinney and Wells as definite drafts and everyone else as question marks. I can't yet say Clausell should be drafted. And Market definitely won't be drafted, and I'd be shocked if Clayborn leaves after 3 years.

Coach34
05-10-2014, 06:56 PM
B;Mac and Wells are top 3 round guys. Preston Smith will most likely play his way into being drafted.

Day and Clausell will most likely be FA signings and have a good shot at making a roster or practice squad. Love, MoJo, and Eulls will likely be FA guys also

MetEdDawg
05-10-2014, 07:08 PM
McKinney: No doubter here in my opinion. He very well could have been the 2nd or 3rd ILB taken this year. Weak class and he's that talented. He's probably going in the first round, especially if he does anything close to what he did his first year.

Jameon: I think he's way better in the open field than Bumphis. Better field vision, better route runner. Doesn't have elite speed, but his hands have gotten significantly better. He's going to do well this year with an entire year under Dak.

Clausell: Put on the tape against Clowney from the SC game and you will see why I think he gets drafted. Held his own very well against the #1 overall draft pick. He has progressed significantly over his time at MSU and I think he could be a Day 2 guy if he improves again. He's got a little slow first step but his use of his hands has gotten drastically better and his balance is improved as well.

Day: True center which I think is a selling point, especially later in the draft. He's quick, seems like a very smart kid, and can at times have a nasty streak. Not as strong this past year as the year before, but once again I think a continuity problem at QB attributed to some regression on his part. The QB Center relationship is an important one and being the center for 3 different QBs during the season, all 3 of which started games, can be tough.

Malcolm: Obviously not a TE at the next level and I doubt anyone would even attempt to classify him as one. He's got good ball skills, but needs improvement with his route running and down field blocking. Needs to be on the field more this year to have a shot, but I think the talent is there.

Preston Brown: Good size, good athleticism, and has power. Think he could be a 4-3 or 3-4 DE because he has the body type to add weight and can utilize both his power and his speed to get the job done. Our scheme is not one to showcase DEs, so I think it's going to be tough for him to stand out. We use our DEs for more of a power push in the face of the QB instead of a pure edge rush around the QB so I don't see him having huge sack numbers. But his athleticism will get him drafted.

Matt Wells: He's the one that I think could be a guy that shoots up boards if we utilize him correctly. Lot of teams are utilizing the 3 safety nickelback look. I think he fits perfectly into that role and has the speed, quickness, and strength to support the run and maintain coverage. Size and athleticism alone will get you drafted somewhere and he's got both.

Kaleb and Jamerson: These two have the most work to do. Not elite at anything really although Love does have pretty high end speed. As far as football goes I'm not sure either of them have done anything to jump off the page to get drafted. They need a breakout year but I put themselves in the discussion but I think they will have opportunities to showcase their talent.

Just some thoughts as to what my thinking was with naming those guys as potential draft guys for next year.

justwin
05-10-2014, 08:25 PM
This makes sense as I can see 2 maybe 3 draft picks...It's just really really hard to get drafted and most fans don't realize how hard that is. That's why when I hear people say that a random guy like Nick Brassell is an NFL guy despite a small frame, avg speed, and below avg hands.

RiverCityDawg
05-11-2014, 07:14 AM
I got to thinking about this on Thursday and I'm sure others have thought about it too, but I figured I would post it. We have to feel pretty good about the potential number of guys from MSU that could be in the NFL Draft the next two years.

2015 Draft: Benardrick McKinney, Jameon Lewis, Dillon Day, Preston Brown, Blaine Clausell, Matt Wells, Jamerson Love, Malcolm Johnson, Kaleb Eulls. Think Kaleb and Jamerson have some work to do, but I think the rest of those guys should get drafted somewhere.

2016 Draft: Dak Prescott, Chris Jones, Josh Robinson, Taveze Calhoun, Will Redmond, Kendrick Market, and there are a few more here that have potential that have the opportunity to show it with more PT like Ryan Brown, Nick James, Justin Malone, Clayborn (if he's Gabe Jackson good which a lot of us think he is).

Just think that we are finally pumping out some legit NFL talent now and that's going to be the big reason we start competing game in and game out on a consistent basis. We've finally got NFL talent across the board on both sides of the ball and the next few years of the draft should show that.

Good topic and I like your optimism, but no way most of those guys get drafted.

2015: McKinney for sure. Preston Smith could, but needs to take the next step and put up good numbers at the combine (if invited). Jameon should have a big year and is timing it well with the popularity of slot receivers but needs to run well for the scouts & at the combine. Blaine has the measurables, but needs to consistently put game tape out this year like his game against Clowney. I like Wells a lot, but he is a tweener in the NFL, so I worry the pool of teams that would consider him is too small. Dillon Day is more of a FA guy. Malcolm is neither a NFL TE or WR, so no. Eulls, No. At the end of the day, we'll probably have 3 go.

2016: Still far away, but the only one we can say for sure is Jones. I think Redmond and Robinson are the next most likely. Kendrick Market is a good football player for us, but he doesn't have the size or speed for the NFL.

Think about it this way, a year and a half ago many would have said Gabe, Autry, Nickoe and LDP were locks to get drafted. Things could change over the course of the season, but right now we only have one lock each of the next two years.

I seen it dawg
05-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Wells will run SUB 4.5 at the combine. He will get drafted and have the kind of trajectory Slay had. Not necessarily as high as Slay went but will rise draft boards quickly once next spring hits. I think he goes 3-4. His speed and athleticism will make a team take him.

Political Hack
05-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Clausell will probably be drafted late. Teams will take a runner on a big bodies OT that held his own in the SEC west for 4 seasons. I could see someone pulling him off the board pretty easily in the 6th or 7th.

messageboardsuperhero
05-11-2014, 11:10 AM
With the way teams are spreading the field out now, you'll see way more of the hybrid S/LB types in the NFL. I remember Bill Belichick talking about how important this position would be in the future not too long ago.

Wells fits that to a tee and should at least get drafted, if not get drafted fairly high.

esplanade91
05-11-2014, 11:18 AM
With the way teams are spreading the field out now, you'll see way more of the hybrid S/LB types in the NFL. I remember Bill Belichick talking about how important this position would be in the future not too long ago.

Wells fits that to a tee and should at least get drafted, if not get drafted fairly high.

A couple of years ago I would have agreed, but I just watched my Saints draft a Butkus finalist in the 4th and 5th rounds. OLB's have the same problem as OG's when it comes to getting drafted. There are already a billion of them, and then there are guys who play similar positions who teams would rather draft and "move" to that position.

Wells needs to show some consistency. I think his ceiling is 3rd day, but even if he goes undrafted he's the kind of player who breaks through and becomes a starter. Tremendous upside. If anything would be a KILLER special teams player at the next level.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Wells will easily get drafted. Dude is a 6'1 and runs a sub 4.5 forty, and is a freak athlete. He can play Safety, LB, CB, ST, hell he even was a RB when we signed him. He will get drafted. McKinney and the overall talent of our D has masked just how great Wells is IMO.