PDA

View Full Version : Will James, what are the MLB stats righties vs lefties, lefties vs righties?

HoopsDawg
05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
how much difference does it make b/c Cohen treats it like gospel and it has cost us the game tonight.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 09:54 PM
When talking about MLB only- it depends on the hitter as an individual.

If you look at it as a broad group it's going to even out.

HoopsDawg
05-09-2014, 10:21 PM
If you look at it as a broad group it's going to even out.

Todd, that answers my question and is about what I expected. It's way over-rated by baseball people like Cohen. Just DH the best hitter. It's a pretty simple concept Cohen.

Will James
05-09-2014, 11:09 PM
You gotta look at individuals over good sample sizes there.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Todd, that answers my question and is about what I expected. It's way over-rated by baseball people like Cohen. Just DH the best hitter. It's a pretty simple concept Cohen.

Not really. It just depends on the player and the pitcher that they are hitting against.

If you have a guy that hits LH pitchers at .300 and RH pitchers at .100, it makes sense to hit that player more against LH pitchers. And vice versa.

Really good hitters are going to hit both reasonably well anyway- so in their case it doesn't matter. But if you have a platoon type guy where there are really wide splits- then it makes a lot of sense to platoon a player. And then you have the rare situation where a guy hits RH but hits LH pitching better and vice versa.

That's why I want MSU to provide that info with the stats- because I have a feeling that if we did, Cohen's decisions would probably make a little more sense. And even if they don't, it provides evidence that better supports that it's a bad decision.

You also have to take into account what platooning a player is going to do to your defense and your bench each game as well. Sometimes a guy is so good on defense it's worth keeping them in. It's not always cut and dried as "just start whoever is hitting best". As odd as it sounds, sometimes your best hitting lineup doesn't mean that you are putting your best lineup out there.