PDA

View Full Version : Randolph at catcher

MsStateBaseball
05-09-2014, 08:21 PM
This game is over if Tn starts stealing. Randolph can't throw it in the air to 2B. Would love to find out why he made the team.

CJDAWG85
05-09-2014, 08:36 PM
He should never see the field for us again. He provides nothing of value.

whosyourdawgy
05-09-2014, 08:43 PM
He single handidly has cost us this game if that's possible in baseball. Gave up two runs cause he can't block the plate for HIS pitcther Lindgren. Doesn't get bat on ball on a hit and run attempt(stupid as shit call by Cohen), and then strikes out for the 2nd time in as many chances. Leave Collins in regardless of the damn pitcher.

MsStateBaseball
05-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Then he strikes outin a critical situation and he is taken out BC he swung threw a hit and run on a fastball! How did he make the team! Critical mistake by him tonight.

engie
05-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Why start a new thread for this? This kind of stuff should be left on game threads IMO...

It's a bad look to start new threads bashing players... even when what you are saying is true... It's a big difference between saying "he's really struggling" and "he's terrible -- kick him off the team" as well.

MsStateBaseball
05-09-2014, 09:00 PM
I told Todd I was shocked he made the team in January.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Engie is right. Don't openly bash players, dipshit.

MsStateBaseball
05-09-2014, 09:23 PM
At least I don't call people names. I was asked repeatedly to post on this site but I don't have to.

Homedawg
05-09-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm trying to figure out which pitches he was supposed to block. I hope u were listening to Jim instead of watching bc he had no chance on 2 of them. None. The other he did block and couldn't find it. As for the hit and run- that one is on Cohen- stupid.

CJDAWG85
05-09-2014, 09:56 PM
No one is mad at Randolph. He shouldn't ever be in the game. He should be the 3rd string catcher.

messageboardsuperhero
05-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Let's be honest- a couple of those were on Lindgren. Yadi Molina would have had a tough time blocking some of those pitches tonight. And yes, we all know Randolph isn't playing up to the level we expect our catchers to at Mississippi State- let's just leave it at that.

And honestly, I'd say there's a better than average chance that he gets the start tomorrow behind the plate. Ross loves pitching to Randolph.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Y'all probably think I'm crazy- but if I was Cohen I would move Ben Hudspeth from pitcher to catcher. He is better than Randolph is at catcher right now.

Once the season is over, I'd talk to him about making that switch.

TheRef
05-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Y'all probably think I'm crazy- but if I was Cohen I would move Ben Hudspeth from pitcher to catcher. He is better than Randolph is at catcher right now.

Once the season is over, I'd talk to him about making that switch.

HUD! HUD! HUD! HUD! HUD!

engie
05-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Catcher is the worst case scenario that a number of us feared and warned about last year when we decided to redshirt Garner and Randolph and bring back zero experience...

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 11:32 PM
HUD! HUD! HUD! HUD! HUD!

Nice.

messageboardsuperhero
05-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Catcher is the worst case scenario that a number of us feared and warned about last year when we decided to redshirt Garner and Randolph and bring back zero experience...

Honestly, we're at worst case scenario with a few positions. All these "swing scenarios" going against us and key players underperforming are the biggest reasons for our struggles this season. It's just been Murphey's law in the worst way for us as a team.

Conversely, look at a team like UM. It seems like every single one of their "swing scenarios" has ended up being a best case.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 11:36 PM

One of my fears about redshirting Garner was why we were redshirting him- which as I feared was because he is apparently even worse on defense than what we currently have. Although that's kind of hard for me to fathom.

The other fear which you are touching on- is we are basically playing a freshman who really as talented as he is, is obviously not quite ready defensively for the SEC, and a walk-on. We really needed Cody Walker to step up- and he hasn't done that, although he was decent tonight in a limited amount of time.

Will James
05-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Cody Walker has been given no shot after raking and I mean RAKING in the fall. He was our best hitter in the fall, OUR BEST HITTER

Todd4State
05-10-2014, 01:01 AM
Cody Walker has been given no shot after raking and I mean RAKING in the fall. He was our best hitter in the fall, OUR BEST HITTER

At this point I'm all for giving him a shot. It won't be any worse.

Drugdog
05-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Walker looked like a stud catching to me.

Drugdog
05-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Qusetion;?Why has Walker not been playing at all if he was our best hitter? Because dude can catch.

Saltydog
05-10-2014, 07:58 AM
nt

tcdog70
05-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Why start a new thread for this? This kind of stuff should be left on game threads IMO...

It's a bad look to start new threads bashing players... even when what you are saying is true... It's a big difference between saying "he's really struggling" and "he's terrible -- kick him off the team" as well.

Engie, great point. Coaches are fair game. But our players should not be bashed. I think it is ok to point out their shortcomings without hammering them.

dickiedawg
05-10-2014, 10:04 AM
I was wondering the same thing when he went in last night. Why did it take us 50 games worth of not being able to catch the ball for him to get a shot?

Will James
05-10-2014, 10:06 AM
How much does that stupid turf affect the balls in the dirt? Us and Vandy are 2 and 3 in the league with 49 and 42 wild pitches. Vandy leads the league in passed balls, we are 4th but only because of generous score keeping.

engie
05-10-2014, 10:28 AM
How much does that stupid turf affect the balls in the dirt? Us and Vandy are 2 and 3 in the league with 49 and 42 wild pitches. Vandy leads the league in passed balls, we are 4th but only because of generous score keeping.

Turf makes it easier in general. The hops are truer -- but it does take getting used to because breakers "bite" harder off the turf than they do off dirt.

The greater the arm talent, the more "passed balls" you will have. Lindgren has become so nasty that he's almost impossible to catch when he isn't on. That's not to excuse what our catchers have done this year -- because receiving/blocking has been really bad. And it's a circular "pattern" too. The pitchers lose confidence in the catchers -- and they let doubt creep in about some of the stuff they need to do to be successful -- causing them to miss over the plate. Catchers lose confidence in the pitchers and become "jumpy" always expecting them to miss spots badly -- thus causing them to push pitches and try to overcompensate at times, hence the "missed location" borderline strikes we've had passed balls on this year.

I'd love to know the splits of which pitchers are having the problems(passed balls included)...