PDA

View Full Version : Silver lining question...

CadaverDawg
05-11-2013, 09:29 PM
So, it looks very possible that we could get swept tomorrow. I for one, don't think it's going to happen though. I think we build off of what we did at the end of this game tonight and gut out a win against Wahl.

BUT, for those that think we will get swept I pose a question....

Is it possible that South Alabama could still host? And if so, wouldn't we be a prime candidate for a #2 in the South Alabama Regional if that happened?

Also, if South Alabama gets a #1 seed...any chance they would let MSU host and have us as the #2 seed for crowd purposes?

I'm searching for a silver lining in case we don't host, but like I said...I think we will host. I think we win tomorrow and then win 2 of 3 next weekend.

38843dawg
05-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I guess thats always a possibility about South Alabama. And you can count me in the "we are getting swept crowd." We just can't hit good starting pitchers and Wahl is one of the top 2-3 pitchers in the SEC.

Jacksondevildog
05-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Wahl will shove it up our ass tomorrow and we will press at the plate. For us to have any chance, we need to take an early lead and have Lindgren give us 5+ on the hill.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2013, 09:48 PM
As for the South Alabama possibility. I think they would have to damn near win out to have a shot, so it isn't likely....

But if they DID host and we got the #2 seed, you could argue that it would be an easier Regional than hosting as a #1 in Starkville. Why, you say? Because predictions have Clemson as the #2 in Starkville...and I would much rather have South Alabama in our Regional than Clemson.

But again, this is a silver lining post, and don't count us out against Wahl tomorrow. He still is going on 1 day of rest since he last pitched at full speed. And we are going to be pissed after the Intense Bastard shoves Louisville Sluggers down the teams throat post game tonight. I think we have a shot to beat them tomorrow. And if we do, then we are still in great shape to host going into the last weekend.

We just really need to find a way to get a W tomorrow. I don't care if it means having Evan Mitchell sprint out of the dugout and beat Wahl with a bat on the mound. It would be Evan's best outing of the year, but he would probably miss Wahl with his swings.

maroonmania
05-11-2013, 11:43 PM
I guess thats always a possibility about South Alabama. And you can count me in the "we are getting swept crowd." We just can't hit good starting pitchers and Wahl is one of the top 2-3 pitchers in the SEC.

Our biggest problem right now is not so much our offense as it is we have almost NO dependable starters. Pollorena usually does well enough to keep us in ball games like he did in the first game today, but heck, we never signed him thinking he would have to be an SEC weekend starting pitcher. And whatever magic Graveman had he's absolutely lost over the last 3 weekends and you just really don't know what you are going to get out of Lindgren from one week to the next. Yes, I would love to host, but host or not if our starting pitching doesn't get its act together we are going nowhere fast in the postseason. Its ridiculous that in a game that Graveman starts that we score 8 freakin' runs and lose and that Graveman gives up a 4 spot in the 1st with 3 walks mixed in after we had taken a 2-0 lead. Might as well call a spade a spade and right now our starting pitching is a total mess. The most likely scenario for a win tomorrow will be a comeback if we can get into their bullpen late. I have very little confidence in Lindgren throwing a gem which would be what it would take to outduel Wahl.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Our biggest problem right now is not so much our offense as it is we have almost NO dependable starters. Pollorena usually does well enough to keep us in ball games like he did in the first game today, but heck, we never signed him thinking he would have to be an SEC weekend starting pitcher. And whatever magic Graveman had he's absolutely lost over the last 3 weekends and you just really don't know what you are going to get out of Lindgren from one week to the next. Yes, I would love to host, but host or not if our starting pitching doesn't get its act together we are going nowhere fast in the postseason. Its ridiculous that in a game that Graveman starts that we score 8 freakin' runs and lose and that Graveman gives up a 4 spot in the 1st with 3 walks mixed in after we had taken a 2-0 lead. Might as well call a spade a spade and right now our starting pitching is a total mess. The most likely scenario for a win tomorrow will be a comeback if we can get into their bullpen late. I have very little confidence in Lindgren throwing a gem which would be what it would take to outduel Wahl.

THIS. You nailed it.

Graveman and Pollorena are "good" pitchers- they give you everything that they've got. BUT they don't have the talent to match up with the elite guys that have just as much desire but have the talent to go along with it. That's why missing Woodruff has KILLED us in the SEC- it has probably cost us five SEC games on the year. Graveman and Pollorena should be pitching for us on Sunday at the very best- and ideally midweek or out of the bullpen. We have GOT to get to the point where we have 2-3 pitchers like Stratton if we want to be elite in the SEC. THAT is why it is important for us to make getting great pitching a priority over power hitters- although power hitters should be number two- a guy like Hunter Renfroe makes a HUGE difference in our lineup.

I think this is more pronounced for us on the road because at Dudy-Noble, it's a pitchers park and we have a really good set out of outfielders defensively no matter what group we put out there. A guy like Pollo or Graveman can throw it almost down the pipe and odds are pretty good it's going to be a fly out, and in Graveman's case, he can focus even more on getting ground balls because even if he is off at home- a lot of times the park is going to help him out.

In the off season, we are going to have to make playing on the road a priority- I'd take the team to some JUCO's maybe have a scrimmage at the shitty ballpark in Greenville or Ledbetter Field in Tupelo- just so our guys can maybe get a little but used to playing away from MSU and our pitchers get used to pitching on different mounds. I picked some parks with some shitty mounds for a very good reason. I wouldn't go to ALL of those parks- but maybe make 2-3 road scrimmages. Maybe go to Smith-Wills when we have to go to Vandy- play one scrimmage with the field dry and then have them just completely saturate the field for the second scrimmage. We could practice sliding from 30 feet from the base.

maroonmania
05-12-2013, 08:31 AM
THIS. You nailed it.

Graveman and Pollorena are "good" pitchers- they give you everything that they've got. BUT they don't have the talent to match up with the elite guys that have just as much desire but have the talent to go along with it. That's why missing Woodruff has KILLED us in the SEC- it has probably cost us five SEC games on the year. Graveman and Pollorena should be pitching for us on Sunday at the very best- and ideally midweek or out of the bullpen. We have GOT to get to the point where we have 2-3 pitchers like Stratton if we want to be elite in the SEC. THAT is why it is important for us to make getting great pitching a priority over power hitters- although power hitters should be number two- a guy like Hunter Renfroe makes a HUGE difference in our lineup.

I think this is more pronounced for us on the road because at Dudy-Noble, it's a pitchers park and we have a really good set out of outfielders defensively no matter what group we put out there. A guy like Pollo or Graveman can throw it almost down the pipe and odds are pretty good it's going to be a fly out, and in Graveman's case, he can focus even more on getting ground balls because even if he is off at home- a lot of times the park is going to help him out.

In the off season, we are going to have to make playing on the road a priority- I'd take the team to some JUCO's maybe have a scrimmage at the shitty ballpark in Greenville or Ledbetter Field in Tupelo- just so our guys can maybe get a little but used to playing away from MSU and our pitchers get used to pitching on different mounds. I picked some parks with some shitty mounds for a very good reason. I wouldn't go to ALL of those parks- but maybe make 2-3 road scrimmages. Maybe go to Smith-Wills when we have to go to Vandy- play one scrimmage with the field dry and then have them just completely saturate the field for the second scrimmage. We could practice sliding from 30 feet from the base.

All very much true. I will point out however that a month ago Graveman WAS pitching like one of the SEC elite both at home AND on the road. The fact that he is no longer doing that has just made our starting pitching situation that much more of a dire situation.

Will James
05-12-2013, 08:57 AM
My priorities in recruiting are

1. Starting pitching. preferably guys that will rack up K's like Stratton and Lindgren
2. Power hitters that get on base, no Pedro Alvarez types
3. Other hitters that get on base.
4. Relievers

msstate7
05-12-2013, 09:30 AM

1. Starting pitching. preferably guys that will rack up K's like Stratton and Lindgren
4. Relievers

Yep our pitchers live by the dp. We need guys that can get out of an inning by striking out people (holder).

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 02:11 PM
All very much true. I will point out however that a month ago Graveman WAS pitching like one of the SEC elite both at home AND on the road. The fact that he is no longer doing that has just made our starting pitching situation that much more of a dire situation.

Absolutely he was- and it was a big boost and a big reason why we are in the position we are. Sometimes you can win a few games on guts alone in baseball. But realistically, you can't win 8 out of 10, which is what we need.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 02:14 PM

4. Relievers

Absolutely agree- except Pedro Alvarez Vanderbilt edition. He hit 17 home runs 65 RBI's, .397 AVG with an OBP .467 and a slugging percentage .706 as a junior. Anyone in America would want that on their team.

maroonmania
05-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Might as well call a spade a spade and right now our starting pitching is a total mess. The most likely scenario for a win tomorrow will be a comeback if we can get into their bullpen late. I have very little confidence in Lindgren throwing a gem which would be what it would take to outduel Wahl.

Well, not exactly calling myself Nostradamus or anything but we did win this game today about the only way I saw us being able to. Thank goodness the Dogs pulled this one out of the fire, a sweep would have been a real killer for us.

CadaverDawg
05-12-2013, 05:08 PM
FYI...

Kendall Rogers just tweeted that he expects South Alabama to host if they win their series against Troy next weekend. This is a good thing for us in my opinion, because I think 2 wins over South Carolina and we will host regardless of South Alabama...but if we were to lose the series against USC, there is a strong likelihood that if we are a #2 seed it will be in South Alabama's Regional I would think. Best possible 2 seed in the dance, by far.

Hopefully we win 2 next weekend though and we host.

Todd4State
05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
FYI...

Kendall Rogers just tweeted that he expects South Alabama to host if they win their series against Troy next weekend. This is a good thing for us in my opinion, because I think 2 wins over South Carolina and we will host regardless of South Alabama...but if we were to lose the series against USC, there is a strong likelihood that if we are a #2 seed it will be in South Alabama's Regional I would think. Best possible 2 seed in the dance, by far.

Hopefully we win 2 next weekend though and we host.

Yeah- because the Sun Belt has hosted so much over the years.**

I think the SEC gets 4-5 hosts. I think if we win the South Carolina series, we host. I know scores are still coming in, but as I type this our RPI is still 10.