PDA

View Full Version : Why the Johnny Football hate?

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Everywhere I go I see people hating on Johnny Football. Ironically, it's all white people. Black folks love him. So I'm chalking it up to jealousy.

I mean, what has he really done wrong? Name me another guy who can win the Heisman as a redshirt freshman and handle the hype any better? Only one I can think of is Tim Tebow, and people hate him because he DIDN'T screw up. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This guy had the whole world wanting a piece of him, and all he did was sign some helmets and go to a party. Then he goes out and dominates football for the second straight year, when everybody knew what he was going to do and how to (theoretically) defend him. Oh, he says the Texans should draft him? So what? Guys a great leader, everybody on his team loved him and played harder because of him.

Haterzz gon hate

dickiedawg
05-09-2014, 11:15 AM
You don't always need a reason to dislike someone. Cocky attitude, just kind of seems like an asshole. Plus he kind of looks funny.

Dawg61
05-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I don't dislike JFF at all. Complete opposite actually.

thedawg
05-09-2014, 11:20 AM
His cocky is what makes him great.. Brett Favre had similar attributes... Thats why people hate JFF though

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Sort of counter-productive in life in general to dislike someone for no reason. Judging someone for looks too? Sounds like a personal problem.

shoeless joe
05-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I like watching him play. Gonna be very interested to see him in Cleveland once the season starts.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I see him as confident, not cocky. I think confidence scares people who have little of it.

thedawg
05-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Theres a fine line... I love it when a player plays like that

Lloyd Christmas
05-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Count me as someone who doesn't understand the Johnny Football hate. That guy is fun as shit to watch. Hope he does well in Cleveland.

Dawg61
05-09-2014, 11:23 AM
JFF carries the heavy weight so I appreciate that. I'm a fan.

msstate7
05-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I like watching him play. Gonna be very interested to see him in Cleveland once the season starts.

Ready to see how well he can drop back and run plays without just doing what he does. If he throws many of those patented lob passes, he'll be battling Eli for the int lead.

I think he'll be fun to watch like Vicks early days, but he never wins big.

Johnson85
05-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Everywhere I go I see people hating on Johnny Football. Ironically, it's all white people. Black folks love him. So I'm chalking it up to jealousy.

I mean, what has he really done wrong? Name me another guy who can win the Heisman as a redshirt freshman and handle the hype any better? Only one I can think of is Tim Tebow, and people hate him because he DIDN'T screw up. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This guy had the whole world wanting a piece of him, and all he did was sign some helmets and go to a party. Then he goes out and dominates football for the second straight year, when everybody knew what he was going to do and how to (theoretically) defend him. Oh, he says the Texans should draft him? So what? Guys a great leader, everybody on his team loved him and played harder because of him.

Haterzz gon hate

I don't know anybody that actually takes time out of their day to hate JFF, but he is a spoiled trust fund baby. If you read the story by the reporter that spent the weekend with his family, assuming the reporter was being reasonbly objective, I'd say he's turned out pretty well considering what his parents are like.

As far as football goes, I like watching JFF play and don't particularly dislike him but I understand that 'sports hate' makes being a fan more fun. I 'hate' Bo Wallace and particularly enjoy when he screws up just because he seems like a douche but it's certainly not because I'm jealous. It's just part of being a fan. Some players get on your nerves and it's fun to cheer against them. It's not like it extends to or in anyway affects real life.

Political Hack
05-09-2014, 11:30 AM
I like him now that he's not at an SEC west school.

Original48
05-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I hate him for the same reason I hate Cam Newton, Ha Ha Dix, Jameis Winston, etc. Unfortunately for Will Redmond he is not them. Actually I guess I should hate us.

spiritual_machine2005
05-09-2014, 11:34 AM
I had no opinion of him one way or the other until we played them this past year. I loved watching him play because he was so electric. But after the game when they beat us, the week after Dak's mom passed, I though that he would at least shake Dak's hand or something to acknowledge Dak's sacrifice and loss for even showing up and playing that game. But he immediately jumped into the student section and started hamming it up for the cameras. Is that petty for me to dislike him for that? Probably. But I do. Oh yea...and flashing the "give me money" sign after throwing a touchdown pass on Rice didn't help either. I will always enjoy watching him play. But don't like him as a person.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 11:38 AM
I hate Gene Chizik and the holier than thou douchetastic Auburn homers more for Camgate than I do Cam himself.

ckDOG
05-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I love watching him play bc he is an outstanding playmaker. I don't like him bc he comes across as a smug entitled brat. He has some growing up to do for sure.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Because some of us actually look at the way he plays and have a legitimate question about whether or not it will translate to the NFL. He doesn't appear to have elite arm strength, which could be a problem in the NFL. And frankly, all his big plays came from the ad lib scramble bullshit. That may work great in college, but not so much in the NFL. And considering how much he runs combined with his size, you have to wonder if he can hold up physically. Now I will say that I've never seen anyone get a clean shot on him. He's the most slippery little bastard I've ever seen. But it's a whole different game in the NFL.

Personally, I think he's either going to be a ****ing beast or ****ing turrable. There won't be any middle ground with him because of the way he plays. He'll either have big success or quickly be broken in half.

But yeah, let's just go with the theory that people are hating on him because they're jealous white dudes. That makes much more sense.*** And it doesn't help his case that he comes off as an arrogant dickhead. He's one of those players you love if he's on your team but everyone else hates.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I had no opinion of him one way or the other until we played them this past year. I loved watching him play because he was so electric. But after the game when they beat us, the week after Dak's mom passed, I though that he would at least shake Dak's hand or something to acknowledge Dak's sacrifice and loss for even showing up and playing that game. But he immediately jumped into the student section and started hamming it up for the cameras. Is that petty for me to dislike him for that? Probably. But I do. Oh yea...and flashing the "give me money" sign after throwing a touchdown pass on Rice didn't help either. I will always enjoy watching him play. But don't like him as a person.

That bullshit pissed me off, too. I distinctly remember hammering his ass for that in my column that week. He's an arrogant dickhead that's bought into his own hype. But he can flat play at the college level. Now we'll see if that backyard style can translate to the NFL.

LiterallyPolice
05-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Aside from their football skills, it's easy to see why people hate Tebow and Manziel. Tebow is self-righteous and Manziel is a cocky attention whore.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Because some of us actually look at the way he plays and have a legitimate question about whether or not it will translate to the NFL. .........

..........But yeah, let's just go with the theory that people are hating on him because they're jealous white dudes. That makes much more sense.*** And it doesn't help his case that he comes off as an arrogant dickhead. He's one of those players you love if he's on your team but everyone else hates.
Should have clarified. I don't mean hate on his play....I mean hate on his person. I will agree that there's many debatable points on him and the NFL.

Regarding your second issue - see my previous posts.

BeardoMSU
05-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I see him as confident, not cocky. I think confidence scares people who have little of it.

I think that was similar with Cam Newton as well. However, I would chalk all the taunting and his now signature "money-fingers" as cocky, not confidence.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Aside from their football skills, it's easy to see why people hate Tebow and Manziel. Tebow is a strong unashamed Christian (and really just a nice guy) and Manziel is a confident 20 year old kid cast into the national spotlight because he could play ball

Fixed that for you. Either way, I don't see why you have a problem with either. They don't negatively affect anything.

BeardoMSU
05-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Pretty shitty.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 12:44 PM
I didn't remember this, so I couldn't comment. But if it's true, I'm guessing Manziel skipped everyone, not just Prescott. I mean, people are people. It was his last home game, after all.

Saltydog
05-09-2014, 12:44 PM
HILARIOUS.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
That's literally all you got. That's what's hilarious. Tell me why I'm wrong, I want you to.

BeardoMSU
05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Aside from their football skills, it's easy to see why people hate Tebow and Manziel. Tebow is self-righteous and Manziel is a cocky attention whore.

Tebow is a tad self-righteous, but I don't think that's why people dislike him; there are plenty of religious people in the NFL who wear it on their sleeves. He got so much undeserved attention in the NFL, despite being a below average QB, a 3rd string backup at best. The Skip Balis' of the world are partly responsible for that perception, but it is what it is.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 12:46 PM
And again I say, dude was 18-20 years old when all this hit. I think he handled it about as well as anyone could. He who is without sin cast the first stone, and stuff.

Original48
05-09-2014, 12:47 PM
I hate Gene Chizik and the holier than thou douchetastic Auburn homers more for Camgate than I do Cam himself.
Can't argue with that.

Dawgface
05-09-2014, 12:48 PM
I haven't run across anyone who doesn't enjoy watching him play. Most chalk up his his cocky celebrations after a score, to his youth. I would think he will do a better job of controlling that in the nfl. Opposing players have a tendency to remember those antics.

smootness
05-09-2014, 12:54 PM
I think that was similar with Cam Newton as well. However, I would chalk all the taunting and his now signature "money-fingers" as cocky, not confidence.

Exactly. It's not hard to see why people don't like the guy...same reason people don't like guys who hit homers and then strut around the bases. You may not have an issue with it, but it's obvious some will.

And the media hyped him to no end...that in and of itself will lead many to hate. People hate the Yankees, Lebron and the Heat, Kobe, etc. This, much more than his beliefs, is why many hate Tebow. It's human nature on some level.

But there's no doubt, it wouldn't be nearly as hard to like the guy if he didn't walk around everywhere like he owned the place. Heck, he threw up 'money fingers' after he got drafted 22nd by the Browns.

As far as his leadership, I honestly doubt he had a great amount of respect from his teammates. I'm sure they liked playing with him and knew he helped them win, but I doubt he commanded respect on the level of a guy like Prescott. And it's definitely hard for me to see him walking in and winning over a locker room filled with guys like Ray Lewis.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Bill Burr addresses this in a way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8ZtYK9xwg

Around 6:30.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
And the media hyped him to no end...that in and of itself will lead many to hate. People hate the Yankees, Lebron and the Heat, Kobe, etc. This, much more than his beliefs, is why many hate Tebow. It's human nature on some level.
Human nature, or insecurity. I have no clue why people hate others' success. Even if that's the reason, it doesn't make it right. It makes the haters pathetic.

As far as his leadership, I honestly doubt he had a great amount of respect from his teammates. I'm sure they liked playing with him and knew he helped them win, but I doubt he commanded respect on the level of a guy like Prescott.
You'd be wrong. It's well documented that we was a very well respected leader at Texas A&M. This is not meant to slight Prescott, he's a good one too. It's just that Manziel was also good at it.

spiritual_machine2005
05-09-2014, 01:04 PM
That's literally all you got. That's what's hilarious. Tell me why I'm wrong, I want you to.
I don't think anyone is right or wrong here. His snub of Prescott after the game rubbed me the wrong way enough and his past cockiness made me form my opinion that I probably wouldn't like this dude very much if he showed up at a bar-b-que at my cousins house. Just my opinion. Yea it was his last home game. I don't care....still should show some sportsmanship. That is how I was raised. Every game I played in high school...win or lose, we shook the other teams hands before celebrating. And it was well known what Dak was going through. If he had done that one simple thing, I think it would have been a huge PR boost for him.

Boodawg
05-09-2014, 01:05 PM
This argument always gets to me. Why does someone have to be an arrogant ahole to be good. I've heard the argument that you have to act confident/arrogant to be good. That is an outright myth. Dak is a great leader/fb player/citizen/etc. and he doesn't walk around and act like his shit don't stink. He seems like someone you could talk to anytime, and he'd be happy to talk to you. Why can't fb players just do their jobs and let it speak for itself? Answer is they can, and a lot of them do. The reason people dislike the arrogant aholes that are good, is because they are arrogant aholes. Hell, I don't like anyone who is arrogant, and don't know of any reason why anyone needs to act arrogant. Personally, I think it's because they are lacking in some other area, and they feel like they need to make up for that lacking somehow. Look I play golf at Caroline with a guy who regularly shoots under par. He's pissed if he doesn't shoot par, and I love playing with him. He wins the club championship nearly every year. He certainly has confidence, but doesn't act like his shit don't stink. However there is another guy who I play with on occasion, not nearly as good as the other guy, a little better than I am, who struts around the course like he owns it. No one likes his ass, and no one likes playing with him, but he is oblivious to that fact. He thinks everyone wants to play with him, and that everyone loves him. He thinks he is on the level with the under par friend of mine, but would get his clocked cleaned most if not every time he played him. This guy has quit just about every tourny he has played at Caroline, because he's not doing well. He doesn't want his handicap to go up. He almost cancelled his membership, because he was so upset when we started our own group and didn't include him. I just don't understand how some people can't figure it out that people don't like them, or like to play with them. All he has to do is be a little more humble.

Anyway, it sound like to me that you, goat, are somewhat like the ahole I am talking about. You think you have to emit confidence/arrogance to feel good about yourself. However there are 1000's of people who are great or are the best at what they do who are very humble, but they'd kick the shit out of you or anyone else if they attempted to challenge them at what they do, be it sports or otherwise.

I don't like the way Manziel acts, reminds me of Henderson from Mississippi. I do think he is a great college football player. Would I get along with him personally, probably not, he seems like an ass. But, I've never met him so I can't say.

Now what is it that you are g.o.a.t. holder of? Being arrogant?

LiterallyPolice
05-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Tebow is a tad self-righteous, but I don't think that's why people dislike him; there are plenty of religious people in the NFL who wear it on their sleeves. He got so much undeserved attention in the NFL, despite being a below average QB, a 3rd string backup at best. The Skip Balis' of the world are partly responsible for that perception, but it is what it is.

I can agree with all this. I would just argue that Tebow took it above the league norm for those that are religious.

My main point was this: Goat, in his original post, tries to make the point that it's contradictory to dislike both ("damned if you do, damned if you don't"), when it's very easy to see why a person can not like both for different reasons.

smootness
05-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Human nature, or insecurity. I have no clue why people hate others' success. Even if that's the reason, it doesn't make it right. It makes the haters pathetic.

Well, the bottom line is, people don't like others they perceive as being arrogant a-holes. Many perceive Manziel to be an arrogant a-hole. It's pretty simple.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 01:13 PM
You forget one thing, before you went into your tirade against me....

JOHNNY MANZIEL WAS THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER OUT THERE

Dak and all these other guys are not on his level, at least not yet.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
I agree on the Dak thing, and again, I didn't know about that at the time. I guess I just understand how that could get overlooked.

I respect your opinion on the sportsmanship, and it's very valid. I personally do not like to shake the hands after games. It's noble in concept (to me), but I don't know, I've never been much for it. I think it should be a choice. I know MANY coaches that would prefer not to shake hands.

spiritual_machine2005
05-09-2014, 01:17 PM

My opinion of him has nothing to do with his prowess as a football player.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Got it. So it's his success, then it's the fact that he's an arrogant asshole. OK. I don't believe him to be a terrible person or an arrogant asshole. I think he's a kid who's had a lot of success and dealt with it better than most. I guess I don't understand why he isn't afforded that break. If he sucker-punched people in the parking lot or raped drunk girls, OK, call him a shithead.

Boodawg
05-09-2014, 01:19 PM

I just don't agree with this at all. I have all the confidence in the world, but still see Manziel, Henderson, Knile Davis, etc. as cocky.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I was replying to boodawg's post.

LiterallyPolice
05-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Fixed that for you. Either way, I don't see why you have a problem with either. They don't negatively affect anything.

You posed the question on "Why do people hate these guys", and I simply answered it.

For Tebow: when people wear religion on their sleeve, and when they actively support divisive issues... it alienates people. Plain and simple.

As for Manziel, your claim that he is just confident is laughable. I mean, the dude flashed the "Make Money" sign or whatever as he walked across the stage last night. Are you saying this is simply confidence? What about all the other first-rounders who refrained from these types of antics? Are they all just unconfident wusses?

I do agree that Manziel's age has a lot to do with his maturity - but he's immature nonetheless.

I'm just saying it's pretty simple to see why both are devisive. Making your initial question, well, a dumb one.

spiritual_machine2005
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I agree on the Dak thing, and again, I didn't know about that at the time. I guess I just understand how that could get overlooked.

I respect your opinion on the sportsmanship, and it's very valid. I personally do not like to shake the hands after games. It's noble in concept (to me), but I don't know, I've never been much for it. I think it should be a choice. I know MANY coaches that would prefer not to shake hands.
One of the main purposes of high school sports is to teach young men and women sportsmanship. I think coaches that "prefer" to not shake hands are doing a poor job of being a good example for their team. Just my opinion. If I was a coach (I am not) I would require my team to shake hands after every game.

Esmerelda Villalobos
05-09-2014, 01:31 PM
I dont "hate" him. I liked him until that article came out on him and his dad.
If you read it, you know his dad is as big of a piece of shit as JFF. It is easy to see where he gets it.

He grew up with no discipline, structure or consequences. He was also given unlimited funds. Almost 0% chance that anyone with that upbringing becomes a "good" guy.

LiterallyPolice
05-09-2014, 01:33 PM
One of the main purposes of high school sports is to teach young men and women sportsmanship. I think coaches that "prefer" to not shake hands are doing a poor job of being a good example for their team. Just my opinion. If I was a coach (I am not) I would require my team to shake hands after every game.

Goat first tried the old "I don't remember that happening, so no comment" defense, then the less tradition "Johnny Manziel is a germaphobe" defense. You gotta give him credit: What he lacks in logic he makes up for in creativity.

quickstrike2
05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
He was a hell of a football player in the SEC, I am anxious to see how it translates to the NFL. As a person, I don't like him very much but that's just my opinion. If I was as good as him at football, I would probably be just as big of an ass. However since I'm not, I prefer the Manning, Luck, Russel Wilson attitudes of the world.

msstate7
05-09-2014, 01:36 PM

No clowney was the best college player out there thus he was the #1 pick

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Uh, no I didn't. What I'm talking about with spiritual_machine2005 is a different issue than Manziel altogether.

You're just looking for something to nail me with, aren't you. I haven't changed my stance once.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Best college player has nothing to do with where you get drafted in the NFL, at least not directly. Try again.

Pollodawg
05-09-2014, 01:45 PM

This. Spooky when we agree, huh? I hate their fans and coaches way worse than I hate their team.

CadaverDawg
05-09-2014, 01:49 PM
I don't "hate" him...I just dislike him for the same reason I dislike all other douchebags

smootness
05-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Goat, I could just as easily start a 'Why the Gene Chizik hate?' thread and say that he seems like a good guy, there wasn't any proof they gave Cam Newton anything, and that it's hard to be perfect when you're rich and famous.

People dislike what they perceive others to be all the time. I'm not surprised when anyone in the spotlight gets 'hated on' by the general public, especially when they do things that seem douche-like.

You seem to like those who are really good and know it, and tell others how good they are, and you seem to dislike those that you perceive to be jealous or 'wusses'. Everyone is different.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm just saying it's pretty simple to see why both are devisive. Making your initial question, well, a dumb one.

Geez, I'm so much deeper than you here it's ridiculous. I realize he's divisive. If he wasn't, no one would hate him. I'm asking WHY do the people in the NEGATIVE divide feel that way. And I'm looking for better answers than 'cocky'.

smootness
05-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Geez, I'm so much deeper than you here it's ridiculous. I realize he's divisive. If he wasn't, no one would hate him. I'm asking WHY do the people in the NEGATIVE divide feel that way. And I'm looking for better answers than 'cocky'.

And people have answered your question. Some don't like him because of the way he acted after our game last year, many don't like him because they perceive him to be an arrogant a-hole.

Posts like the one you just made are why some don't like you as a poster, to answer a question you didn't ask.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't "hate" him...I just dislike him for the same reason I dislike all other douchebags

Seriously, if Johnny Manziel is a douchebag, then what the f*ck are all of us internet cowboys? I'm not talking about his talent either. That's God-given. But he's taken it, been crazy successful with it, elevated a mediocre football program, and albeit stayed out of serious trouble when everybody in the country wanted him to fail.

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2014, 02:12 PM
What I don't get is the same people bashing Manziel were all in love with Teddy. Teddy is a slower, less talented RGIII. I never understood why anyone thought that kid was the number 1 prospect in this draft.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2014, 02:18 PM

So people tell you the answer, then you tell them that isn't a legitimate reason? Welcome to a Goat thread. Where only he answers he deems acceptable are approved.

Boodawg
05-09-2014, 02:21 PM

"People in the NEGATIVE divide" makes you seem even more arrogant. Do you play golf at Lake Caroline???

JK, but why do you feel that people who think arrogant people suck, are negative? I don't want to be friends with an arrogant prick.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 02:22 PM
What I don't get is the same people bashing Manziel were all in love with Teddy. Teddy is a slower, less talented RGIII. I never understood why anyone thought that kid was the number 1 prospect in this draft.
I could tell you, but no one wants to hear it, and no one will admit it.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 02:23 PM
So people tell you the answer, then you tell them that isn't a legitimate reason? Welcome to a Goat thread. Where only he answers he deems acceptable are approved.
Ha yeah, I'll give you that one. Probably could have left that out.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 02:25 PM
And people have answered your question. Some don't like him because of the way he acted after our game last year, many don't like him because they perceive him to be an arrogant a-hole.
They (you) did. And I'm just asking questions. Literally Police said it was a dumb question, so I called him out on it. Really that simple.

Posts like the one you just made are why some don't like you as a poster, to answer a question you didn't ask.
Is what it is.

Goat Holder
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
"People in the NEGATIVE divide" makes you seem even more arrogant.
Regarding Johnny Manziel, YOU DO have an negative opinion! That's truth, dude! It's not an opinion. If you don't like someone, that's negative. I didn't say it was right or wrong. Obviously I myself think you're wrong, but it's just my opinion.

CadaverDawg
05-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Seriously, if Johnny Manziel is a douchebag, then what the f*ck are all of us internet cowboys? I'm not talking about his talent either. That's God-given. But he's taken it, been crazy successful with it, elevated a mediocre football program, and albeit stayed out of serious trouble when everybody in the country wanted him to fail.

Some of the message board guys are douchebags too. What's your point? Being good at football doesn't rid one from being a douche

Vandownbytheriver
05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Some of the message board guys are douchebags too. What's your point? Being good at football doesn't rid one from being a douche

Richard Sherman is a prime example of this very point.

Boodawg
05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Regarding Johnny Manziel, YOU DO have an negative opinion! That's truth, dude! It's not an opinion. If you don't like someone, that's negative. I didn't say it was right or wrong. Obviously I myself think you're wrong, but it's just my opinion.

I think people with arrogance are acting negative. Maybe only negative people like arrogant people and vice versa. Whatever...

BossDawg
05-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Because he's white. If he were black he's be the next huge rage.

"He's a little cocky s.o.b. but the asshole can make plays. Mark it down, the next best thing in the NFL!!!"***

msstate7
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM

I think TB will be better than Manziel in the pros. Think TB having AP behind him will help him early especially. I also think JFF was drafted into a tough division for him since he doesn't have the rocket arm to cut through the tough weather in all those outdoor, windy stadiums

mic
05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Bama fans are the ones that dislike JF the most ..

Johnson85
05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I can agree with all this. I would just argue that Tebow took it above the league norm for those that are religious.

Not really. Players like Ray Lewis invoke God all the time. People don't like Tebow because he appears to practice what he preaches. He is outspoken, but it's not like he's out there forcing religion into non-religious settings anymore than any other football player that thanks god for their win. I've never heard him even offer an opinion on Gay marriage and even when he does things like the pro-life superbowl commercial, he doesn't condemn anybody or say anything judgmental. Pretty much everything he talks about is positive comments about following God, not which actions will cause you to go to Hell.

And people don't really even have a legitimate complaint about his hype. Good college QB's are hyped every year. Tebow was an effective game manager as a second year player in the NFL. He probably wasn't ever going to be a good quarterback, but it's not like he wasn't serviceable. Don't know if it's his attitude or personality or what, but there's definitely something keeping him off a roster that is not his ability. There are not 29 second string qb's that are better game managers than he is.

smootness
05-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Uh, no. I don't think Manziel will succeed as an NFL QB, and I don't think Teddy Bridgewater will succeed as an NFL QB. I also don't think Blake Bortles will succeed as an NFL QB.

I think this is one of the weakest drafts for QBs we've ever seen, and I think any team who took a QB in the 1st round is likely to regret the pick within a couple of years.

Pollodawg
05-09-2014, 03:03 PM
People can dislike a player for whatever reason they want really. This isn't the Spanish Inquisition. lmao. I don't like Auburn's coaches or fans. I didn't like Tuberville. I didn't like Chizik, and I don't like Malzahn (even tho I don't know him well enough yet). Tubberville was a well known slimeball and Chizik fired shots at MSU constantly during Cam Gate. I have the right not to like someone merely because I think they're a douchebag.

sleepy dawg
05-09-2014, 03:04 PM
It's not counterproductive anymore than spending as much time as we do in this sports entertainment world. We pay to be entertained. I can choose to dislike him if I want to (I don't), but there are plenty of players I "hate" for absolutely no good reason.
I would never consider these factors of judgement in the real world of dealing with people, but I damn sure will with my sports entertainment. Professional sports is no different than WWE. One is always fixed, the other one is probably not fixed most of the time. They are all paid entertainers.

I hated Hulk Hogan as kid, and I hate Jeff Gordon as an adult... probably good guys, but I don't care, they're just part of the entertainment.

Pollodawg
05-09-2014, 03:10 PM
It's not counterproductive anymore than spending as much time as we do in this sports entertainment world. We pay to be entertained. I can choose to dislike him if I want to (I don't), but there are plenty of players I "hate" for absolutely no good reason.
I would never consider these factors of judgement in the real world of dealing with people, but I damn sure will with my sports entertainment. Professional sports is no different than WWE. One is always fixed, the other one is probably not fixed most of the time. They are all paid entertainers.

I hated Hulk Hogan as kid, and I hate Jeff Gordon as an adult... probably good guys, but I don't care, they're just part of the entertainment.

This. Exactly this. What are these people at the end of the day but entertainers?

LiterallyPolice
05-09-2014, 03:11 PM
They (you) did. And I'm just asking questions. Literally Police said it was a dumb question, so I called him out on it. Really that simple.

Is what it is.

Man, you really called me out. Just look at the swarms of people you have won over with that bold style.

GOAT: Why do people hate Johnny Manziel?
BOARD: Because we think he's a cocky douche.
GOAT: He's not a cocky douche, he's confident!
BOARD: That wasn't the question. Regardless... Here's Example A and Example B of him being a cocky douche.
GOAT: I don't care, I don't think he is a cocky douche.
BOARD: Well, my opinion differs from yours. I think he is a cocky douche, and that's why I don't like him.
GOAT: Well... Uh.... "Being a cocky douche" is an unacceptable response. Why won't you people answer the question?

I can see I hurt your feelings by calling your question dumb, so I'll take it back. It wasn't a dumb question.... It has just been answered many, many times in the thread. SPOILER: It's because people think he's a cocky douche.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Not really. Players like Ray Lewis invoke God all the time. People don't like Tebow because he appears to practice what he preaches. He is outspoken, but it's not like he's out there forcing religion into non-religious settings anymore than any other football player that thanks god for their win. I've never heard him even offer an opinion on Gay marriage and even when he does things like the pro-life superbowl commercial, he doesn't condemn anybody or say anything judgmental. Pretty much everything he talks about is positive comments about following God, not which actions will cause you to go to Hell.

And people don't really even have a legitimate complaint about his hype. Good college QB's are hyped every year. Tebow was an effective game manager as a second year player in the NFL. He probably wasn't ever going to be a good quarterback, but it's not like he wasn't serviceable. Don't know if it's his attitude or personality or what, but there's definitely something keeping him off a roster that is not his ability. There are not 29 second string qb's that are better game managers than he is.

Nailed it. Cap'n Stabby McStab is now Preacher Ray, and the media doesn't see an issue with that. But here comes Tebow, a guy who actually walks his talk, and the media goes ballistic and vilifies him. It's just ridiculous. And he's not a QB because GMs and coaches don't want to deal with the media circus that inevitably comes with having Tebow on your team. He'd be a hell of a backup QB and change of pace guy for the team willing to take the chance on him.

dickiedawg
05-09-2014, 03:40 PM
It's not "jealousy." Look at a guy like Andrew Luck. He worked his ass off and was very successful at Stanford, then was the first overall pick in the draft. He's white too, shouldn't we hate him out of jealousy?
I know you're just trolling here with comments like that.

You say he did a good job handling the hype of winning the Heisman trophy as a freshman. I can only think of one person who handled it worse, and Johnny doesn't get any bonus points for not allegedly raping a girl.

Sports needs "villains." That's Manziel's role, and he brought that on himself by being an outspoken, cocky football player who also happens to unabashedly enjoy the party lifestyle and seems to genuinely believe the rules don't apply to him. I'll continue to root against him (the fact that he's in Cleveland kind of makes that harder, it feels kind of like cheering against someone in the Paralympics). But you know what? For a brief time, I thought Philadelphia was going to draft him at 22, and I was prepared to be a JFF fan. That's sports.

bluelightstar
05-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Love him. Johnny's great. P.S. talk to more black people, as I know many who do not like him.

turkish
05-09-2014, 05:36 PM
And again I say, dude was 18-20 years old when all this hit. I think he handled it about as well as anyone could. He who is without sin cast the first stone, and stuff.
I damn sure could have handled it better. But maybe I'm cocky.

sleepy dawg
05-09-2014, 08:17 PM
http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/

The Patriots are counterproductive. I'd hate to go through life being part of that Patriot Dynasty.