PDA

View Full Version : Football coaches/people

Todd4State
05-08-2014, 10:50 PM
What's the difference between a nickel-corner and a nickleback?

Or are they the same thing?

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Pretty much the same, near as I can tell. But apparently "nickel-corner" is now the new en vogue term for the WWL. As I think about it, though, Gruden spent a lot of time talking about teams who play 3 safeties tonight. So I guess they're trying to differentiate when a CB is the nickelback versus a S being the nickel.

Westdawg
05-08-2014, 11:06 PM
You are correct In That they are the same basic position. The main difference is the personnel used to fill the spot. Depends on The system and terminology

Todd4State
05-08-2014, 11:57 PM
You are correct In That they are the same basic position. The main difference is the personnel used to fill the spot. Depends on The system and terminology

So, basically if it's a corner playing the nickel, he's a nickel corner and if it's a safety then it's a nickelback?

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2014, 12:01 AM
So, basically if it's a corner playing the nickel, he's a nickel corner and if it's a safety then it's a nickelback?

That's what the talking heads seem to be implying. Personally, I'll continue using the generic nickelback for all nickel package personnel. That 5th DB is kinda beginning to morph into a hybrid S/CB type as it is right now.

Todd4State
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
That's what the talking heads seem to be implying. Personally, I'll continue using the generic nickelback for all nickel package personnel. That 5th DB is kinda beginning to morph into a hybrid S/CB type as it is right now.

And then you have the S/LB guys. I still call them DOG backs, although I think ESPN probably calls them hybrid defenders.

BulldogDX55
05-09-2014, 01:34 AM
And then you have the S/LB guys. I still call them DOG backs, although I think ESPN probably calls them hybrid defenders.

Correct. Nickel Corner is just another phrase for DOG Safety or Monster Back, while Nickleback is a terrible, terrible band.

Barking 13
05-09-2014, 07:06 AM
a nickel corner is about a small bowl, and a nickelback is a band***

Westdawg
05-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Ok. Here is the best way to understand the personnel -

You have a slot that is more likely used in passing game (ala Brandon Holloway) you stick a nickel corner over him. You get a guy that could be more effective as a run blocker or short yardage passing or on a down more likely to be a run down, you slide a nickel safety over him, who is more of a SS that can better help in Run def while still covering the slot.

Covercorner2
05-09-2014, 08:23 AM
I think a nickel corner is the same as a "slot corner." He covers the slot WR(s) in 3+ WR sets. I believe they are normally a little shorter and quicker than regular outside corners (becuase they have to cover shorter, quicker WRs/RBs). For example, Jamerson Love is more of a nickle corner, whereas Calhoun, Cox, and Redmond are and were outside guys. A nickleback is a more general term applied to the 5th defensive back, usually a hybrid between a CB and S....

Political Hack
05-09-2014, 08:35 AM
A team can actually have both within their own terminology. cornercover2 got it.

from the stands, it's all the same though. 5th DB on the field.

bulldawg28
05-09-2014, 09:37 AM
A team can actually have both within their own terminology. cornercover2 got it.

from the stands, it's all the same though. 5th DB on the field.
^^^
This. It's simply the next best defensive back on the field that matches the offensive personnel on the field. It could be a corner or a safety depending on the scheme.